Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2013   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: When was the last time Gary Kubiak.....

Here is the most useless post of the off-season.

Two things are not going to change this off-season - Kubiak & Schaub. All this chatter about them regardless of merits is completely wasted keyboard masturbation. Now continue your normally scheduled stroking.
Old 02-18-2013   #22
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
No one can complain about where Kubiak has brought this team. When the players execute according to the system, the Texans win. What Kubiak and staff need to work on is getting consistency out of the players.
The players could be playing consistent & w/ all the effort in the world, but if the game plan is flawed & failing then that is on the coaches. It was obvious that the coaching took a step back towards the end of the season & in the playoffs considering they failed miserably against NE, Indy, & the Vikings & had issues w/ the jags & lions. They were just as much outcoached as they were outplayed & the blame for the poor showings hardly lies solely w/ the players imo. Kubiak & his coaches need to execute & adjust to ensure success as well.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I give all the credit to Bob McNair. 10 years ago he had a franchise that couldn't win. 5 years ago he had a team that wasn't competitive in its division. 2 years ago he had a team that couldn't get in the play offs.

Now, he's got a team that can't win a Super Bowl.
Old 02-19-2013   #24
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I give all the credit to Bob McNair. 10 years ago he had a franchise that couldn't win. 5 years ago he had a team that wasn't competitive in its division. 2 years ago he had a team that couldn't get in the play offs.

Next it'll be, he's got a team that can't win 2 Super Bowls in a row! And I bet there will still be people on this MB wanting to fire Kubes, Smith, Schaub, McNair etc...!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #25
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i give all the credit to bob mcnair. 10 years ago he had a franchise that couldn't win. 5 years ago he had a team that wasn't competitive in its division. 2 years ago he had a team that couldn't get in the play offs.

Now, he's got a team that can't win a super bowl.
baby steps!!!
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #26
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
baby steps!!!
I'll take baby steps... as long as it's in the right direction. Most teams in the NFL are taking baby steps, or giant steps, in the wrong direction.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

What baby steps did the Texans take this yr?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #28
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Actually they haven't gotten out of the Divisional round much less sniffed a Super Bowl. Once again, just making the playoffs & winning a couple of Wild Card games is earth shattering in Houston. While others outside of Houston believe that this another example of a talented Texans team that is underachieving. That's ok because we are better then the Casserly/ Capers years! That's all matters! No need to raise the bar, we win Wild Card games which is better then 10 yrs ago! Glorified baby steps is all we need.
Old 02-19-2013   #29
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They actually duplicated last years accomplishments, BUT added 2 more regular season wins! That's enough for some to claim "progress".
Old 02-19-2013   #30
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
They actually duplicated last years accomplishments, BUT added 2 more regular season wins! That's enough for some to claim "progress".
Every fan wants to take a giant step forward. In our case, that would have been nothing short of a Super Bowl Championship. We all want that obviously.

But at the same time, lets not call it a big failure and we need to restructure our team if we don't take that big step.

Last season, we took a step in the right direction. Yes, it was a very tiny, baby step. But it was in the right direction. Alot of teams are going in the wrong direction, so this is an accomplishment to be proud of.
Old 02-19-2013   #31
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Every fan wants to take a giant step forward. In our case, that would have been nothing short of a Super Bowl Championship. We all want that obviously.

But at the same time, lets not call it a big failure and we need to restructure our team if we don't take that big step.

Last season, we took a step in the right direction. Yes, it was a very tiny, baby step. But it was in the right direction. Alot of teams are going in the wrong direction, so this is an accomplishment to be proud of.
I guess that is where we differ. I don't compare us to the lesser teams & gain gratification for not being them. I compare us to the better teams & wonder why we aren't them. That's why I ask at what point do we raise the bar & expect more as opposed to always being satisfied w/ it not being worse? I wouldn't expect or want more if the team wasnt capable. Obviously others agree or this team wouldnt be deemed underachievers by so many outside of Houston.
Old 02-19-2013   #32
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I guess that is where we differ. I don't compare us to the lesser teams & gain gratification for not being them. I compare us to the better teams & wonder why we aren't them. That's why I ask at what point do we raise the bar & expect more as opposed to always being satisfied w/ it not being worse? I wouldn't expect or want more if the team wasnt capable. Obviously others agree or this team wouldnt be deemed underachievers by so many outside of Houston.
Well I have always been a half-glass full kind of guy. I guess that's what it comes down to.

I do think we are one of the better teams in the league. Why do you think we are not? We were a serious superbowl contender this season, and we'll be one again next season.
Old 02-19-2013   #33
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:

First time they've really been called such though as a contender, no? They were everyone's pick damn near before MNF in Foxboro.

No need to ask "when do we raise the bar?" It's been raised. You hear the comments, etc.
Old 02-19-2013   #34
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
First time they've really been called such though as a contender, no? They were everyone's pick damn near before MNF in Foxboro.

No need to ask "when do we raise the bar?" It's been raised. You hear the comments, etc.

I would say the GB game casted some doubt amongst some & then NE completely exposed them. The tough matchups against the lesser jags & lions didn't help the case either. After the late season meltdown I can't recall anyone outside of fans that picked or believed the Texans were Super Bowl contenders. In fact, quite a few began to refer to them as not as advertised & frauds because they believed the 12-4 was hardly indicative of good of a team the Texans actually were or were not.

I'm not sure the bar has been raised that high when we claim success & progress for a season that basically resulted in nothing more then 2 additional regular season wins. If that's raising the bar, then the bar wasn't that high to begin with imo. I guess if some how they manage 13 wins, but once again fail to get out of the Divisional round then once again they technically progressed & we should rejoice.
Old 02-19-2013   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

So, say we collectively "raise the bar and expect greater things" from this franchise.

What happens when they do not fulfill our expectations? What is the next course of action for a fan base with unfulfilled high expectations?

It's not us that needs to raise the bar. It's those people employed on Kirby that need to raise the bar and expect greater things from themselves.

Passive bystanders are ultimately powerless to change anything within the organization. Some folks can say "we" until we are all deep steel blue in the face, but the truth is that none of us are part of the "we" that can make any sort of difference.

I'm not a "we man". My only expectation is to be entertained. I do not live vicariously through this sports team. "We" did not lose. They lost and the rest of us watched, to paraphrase Jerry Seinfeld.

Old 02-19-2013   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They made it to the playoffs and won a playoff game two years in a row.

That's not a whole lot really. Been there done that many times with the Oilers. But it's better than what the Texans once were. And now that they aren't the little boy newbie franchise anymore, I want more from them than what I'm getting.

What they are giving me now I've already had once.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #37
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
I would say the GB game casted some doubt amongst some & then NE completely exposed them. The tough matchups against the lesser jags & lions didn't help the case either. After the late season meltdown I can't recall anyone outside of fans that picked or believed the Texans were Super Bowl contenders. In fact, quite a few began to refer to them as not as advertised & frauds because they believed the 12-4 was hardly indicative of good of a team the Texans actually were or were not.

I'm not sure the bar has been raised that high when we claim success & progress for a season that basically resulted in nothing more then 2 additional regular season wins. If that's raising the bar, then the bar wasn't that high to begin with imo. I guess if some how they manage 13 wins, but once again fail to get out of the Divisional round then once again they technically progressed & we should rejoice.
People were skeptical slightly post-GB, and IMO, that ended after CHI. And I said people liked the Texans pre-MNF @ NE. Never mentioned anything post-December 10.

Not many at ALL are willing to accept a Div. round ceiling as of right now. A TON of folks weren't pleased with just beating Cincy last month. A few optimistic folks are claiming success doesn't = WE. Texans had a good season, but it wasn't a MASSIVE success when you look at what happened at the end.
Old 02-19-2013   #38
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 15846 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Going into this year, five teams have won the Super Bowl during Kubiak's tenure, when he took over a 2-14 team.

This season the Texans went 12-4 while three of those Super Bowl winners didn't even make the playoffs.

The two remaining teams didn't make it out of the Divisional round.

So not only did they not get back to the Super Bowl, they didn't even make it to their Conference championship.

What's the point? Outside of a few dynasties in the last 40 years (Steelers, Niners, Cowboys, Patriots) it is a struggle for teams to consistently stay at the top.

There is nothing wrong with fans having expectations of their team winning a Super Bowl. And I think it was a fairly reasonable expectation of this team starting the season. And I think it is fairly reasonable to be disapponted in how the season ended. We're fans. We are emotionally invested in our teams.

But Jesus Jumping Christ, some of you act like this season was the biggest failure in the history of sports franchises.

This team has ONE season with 12 wins. Indy went SEVEN straight seasons with 12+ wins and got one Super Bowl out of it. I'm pretty sure some of you would have demanded that Peyton get dumped after the second season.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #39
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
But Jesus Jumping Christ, some of you act like this season was the biggest failure in the history of sports franchises.
He floated, he didn't jump.

In any case, this season wasn't a failure. When you win your division, it's never a failure. Expecting more than just another divisional baseball cap is not unreasonable though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'm not sure the bar has been raised that high when we claim success & progress....
I think you're putting words in people's mouths. No one is celebrating. We didn't have a parade.

I'm wearing an AFC South Championship shirt today, 2012. Yesterday I wore an AFC South Championship shirt, 2011.

I enjoyed every game I attended.... well, not that GB game. But I had fun getting ready for the game, the whole freak'n week leading up to the game.

I'm disappointed we didn't win the Super Bowl I believe we all are.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read