Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-18-2013   #1
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I Don't Want To Study For Accounting Mock Draft

I'm going to use our position in the draft plus a third round compensatory for Mario and a 6th for Dreesen. I don't know how that's going to work out in actuality but whatever. Here's for the purpose of just throwing discussion material out there. Hit me with all the feedback and comments you got, TT.
Will post rounds 1-3 right now... if you come in and see only one or two picks, I'm working on it

1st Round: Keenan Allen WR 6'3 210 Cal

Yes, I understand that Keenan Allen should* be gone by the time we pick. The scenario I see is that a knee injury will knock him down and post-combine, guys like Cordarelle Patterson, Terrance Williams et. al will move up the boards because of their size/speed combo. I'm going with that Allen is fast but not elite fast. However, he has excellent timing, athleticism combined with 6'3 210 - sounds like a possible heir to Andre to me.

2nd Round: Kyle Long OL 6'6 304 Oregon

I'm gambling here. Kyle Long only has 4 career starts at the FCS level and that is troubling. However, I don't see this pick not panning out. Kyle Long is athletic and has all the pedigree to be a great o-lineman in the NFL with good coaching. He'll have great teammates to look up to (Duane Brown) and can develop into a quality starter given a season or two. Would also be ironic to see him line up against his brother Chris.

3rd Round: Kiko Alonso, ILB, 6'3 242 Oregon

Yeah, I'm drafting lots of Ducks. This guy is versatile. He could even play outside, that's how athletic he is. At the third round you're looking at guys who could develop into quality starters, and I think Alonso could be a total steal. He and Cushing would be a terror together. Alonso plays to the whistle and with an aggression that would compliment Cushing's perfectly.

3rd Round: DJ Swearinger, FS, 5'11 210 South Carolina

Swearinger is versatile and a leader on his S Car defense. He's played some CB and is proficient in coverage as well as being a hitter. He's not tall but he makes up for it in the aggression of his play. He needs to work on not holding, however, and could be a little more fluid.

Last edited by htownfan32; 02-18-2013 at 12:58 PM.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I Don't Want To Study For Accounting Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
One is that we trade our Mario and Dreesen compensatories and our first rounder and move up.
You cannot trade compensatory picks.
Old 02-18-2013   #3
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Thank you for pointing that out, forgot. Still going with second scenario where knee injury plus other wideouts' combine performances push him down.
Old 02-18-2013   #4
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm going to use our position in the draft plus a third round compensatory for Mario and a 6th for Dreesen. I don't know how that's going to work out in actuality but whatever. Here's for the purpose of just throwing discussion material out there. Hit me with all the feedback and comments you got, TT.
Will post rounds 1-3 right now... if you come in and see only one or two picks, I'm working on it

Yes, I understand that Keenan Allen should* be gone by the time we pick. However, I forsee two scenarios. One is that we trade our Mario and Dreesen compensatories and our first rounder and move up. The other is that a knee injury will knock him down and post-combine, guys like Cordarelle Patterson, Terrance Williams et. al will move up the boards because of their size/speed combo. I'm going with scenario two here. Allen is fast but not elite fast. However, he has excellent timing, athleticism combined with 6'3 210 - sounds like a possible heir to Andre to me.
You would have to use the their normal 3rd and 6th rounder if you want to trade up. As was stated previously by infantrycak, you can't trade compensatory picks. Personally, I hope he falls to us without having to trade up, but if they feel he's going to be gone by the time they pick, and they only have to trade up a few spots, I'd say go for it! He may be the only WR in this draft I'd do that for. Don't want to waste picks.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #5
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, I'm drafting lots of Ducks. This guy is versatile. He could even play outside, that's how athletic he is. At the third round you're looking at guys who could develop into quality starters, and I think Alonso could be a total steal. He and Cushing would be a terror together. Alonso plays to the whistle and with an aggression that would compliment Cushing's perfectly.
I like Alonso too and think he would upgrade the ILB spot a lot. But, the big question is, would the Texans take him with his prior arrest record (2 yrs ago)? Here's something I found on the NFL.com Combine site:

Quote:
Alonso made his own difficulties early in his career at the University of Oregon. He was suspended for the entire 2010 season after a DUI arrest (while also rehabbing a torn right ACL suffered in the spring), then was forced to sit out the 2011 opener after being arrested the day after the team’s spring game for breaking into someone else’s apartment and passing out due to intoxication. He came back that season to eventually become a major contributor, including earning the Rose Bowl Defensive Player of the Game award in the team’s win over Wisconsin (five tackles, 2.5 for loss, 1.5 sacks, interception).
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #6
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I like Alonso too and think he would upgrade the ILB spot a lot. But, the big question is, would the Texans take him with his prior arrest record (2 yrs ago)? Here's something I found on the NFL.com Combine site:
I think he's been clean for a while, and if the Texans FO feel like he's changed his mindset and is taking his game seriously now... Yes. He could be a huge steal and we can't keep up this policy of drafting saints lol. I think the fact that he's been trouble free for a while now indicates that he's gotten his head in the right place

Thanks for waiting up. Round 4-7 will be up tomorrow!
Old 02-18-2013   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think Alonzo has matured and proved it. I have mocked him but think I can get comparable value in A J Klein in 4th. Issue with mock is I want a NT and those I think will contribute will be gone 2nd round and no later than 3rd. I am not a Long fan even if he translates to OG where he should play in NFL. He will be 26 December and what you are saying his family is good so he should be. If you are going for a back up OT, go with a cheap FA. If you want to use at OG, why not draft Alvin Bailey a much better player who has flipped during games to both sides? He has play a bit more also.

WR: I like your guy but would rather trade down than up and get a comparable player in second + another pick.
Old 02-18-2013   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I realize he edited such but regardless with his 1-3 rd. selections he doesn't need to they are already in place.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes, I understand that Keenan Allen should* be gone by the time we pick. The scenario I see is that a knee injury will knock him down and post-combine, guys like Cordarelle Patterson, Terrance Williams et. al will move up the boards because of their size/speed combo. I'm going with that Allen is fast but not elite fast. However, he has excellent timing, athleticism combined with 6'3 210 - sounds like a possible heir to Andre to me.

2nd Round: Kyle Long OL 6'6 304 Oregon

I'm gambling here. Kyle Long only has 4 career starts at the FCS level and that is troubling. However, I don't see this pick not panning out. Kyle Long is athletic and has all the pedigree to be a great o-lineman in the NFL with good coaching. He'll have great teammates to look up to (Duane Brown) and can develop into a quality starter given a season or two. Would also be ironic to see him line up against his brother Chris.

3rd Round: DJ Swearinger, FS, 5'11 210 South Carolina

Swearinger is versatile and a leader on his S Car defense. He's played some CB and is proficient in coverage as well as being a hitter. He's not tall but he makes up for it in the aggression of his play. He needs to work on not holding, however, and could be a little more fluid.
I personally love it, FWIW. Two Ducks. I think Chip Kelly may have something to say about that.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-18-2013   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not my optimal draft, but you've got some good players there. I think Long and Alonso are each picked 1 round early. Now get back to studying your Accounting, there's plenty of time after school for football. Good Luck.

The more I think about it, Long is about 1 round early but Alonso in the late 3rd is about right.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 02-19-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
It's not my optimal draft,.
Same here - I like the positions just not the players so much.

Allen I was high on early in the year , not so much now. I'd take Rogers in the second instead. He has the best tools of all the WR's in this draft , pot or not. Thats not to say I dont believe Allen wont be a solid player - Just that I wouldnt take him that high.

Long - I love the guy in the long term .... but not so much in the short term. 3rd rounder (I know I had him mocked in the second earlier).

Kiko Alonso .... Im meh on. I much prefer AJ Klien of Iowa St. Dude can cover and would be perfect paired with Cushing.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Allen I was high on early in the year , not so much now. I'd take Rogers in the second instead. He has the best tools of all the WR's in this draft , pot or not. Thats not to say I dont believe Allen wont be a solid player - Just that I wouldnt take him that high.

Long - I love the guy in the long term .... but not so much in the short term. 3rd rounder (I know I had him mocked in the second earlier).

Kiko Alonso .... Im meh on. I much prefer AJ Klien of Iowa St. Dude can cover and would be perfect paired with Cushing.
Rodgers may not be there low in the 2nd, would you be willing to give up a 3-4th to pick him?

Short/Rodgers/Klien gives you 3 quality starters, that's about all you can ask for out of a Rick draft.

S is deep enough that you can find an upgrade over Demps/Keo in the later rds. Or find a FA on the cheap. The only thing that would be missing would be OL depth and hopefully Newton/Jones/Brooks will show improvement in their 2nd yr on the field.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 02-18-2013 at 11:59 PM.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

Funny, that is exactly why Allen could still be on the board. Unfinished product with exceptionally high ceiling.

Texans could cut Wade, a pro bowler, draft Long & actually improve.

Kiko is a four down LB, rare in a 3-4.

Completely sick haul, would not complain.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-19-2013   #14
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to respectfully disagree with one thing. No NT in the first 3 rounds. Cody is a FA, just had back surgery, and needed to be upgraded before that. Another thing is that I would go with DeAndre Hopkins over Keenan Allen. I'm probably in the minority but I think that Hopkins will be a better pro. He is an exceptional route runner and is more of a deep threat than Allen. It is also said that he has the best intangibles of any WR in this draft class. WR is very hard to predict but if I had to bet on one WR who could step in and produce from day one it would be Hopkins. I like the ILB and S picks a lot. I think Swearinger AKA Jungle Boi would be a hell of a steal at the end of the 3rd.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #15
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to respectfully disagree with one thing. No NT in the first 3 rounds. Cody is a FA, just had back surgery, and needed to be upgraded before that. Another thing is that I would go with DeAndre Hopkins over Keenan Allen. I'm probably in the minority but I think that Hopkins will be a better pro. He is an exceptional route runner and is more of a deep threat than Allen. It is also said that he has the best intangibles of any WR in this draft class. WR is very hard to predict but if I had to bet on one WR who could step in and produce from day one it would be Hopkins. I like the ILB and S picks a lot. I think Swearinger AKA Jungle Boi would be a hell of a steal at the end of the 3rd.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 02-19-2013 at 02:29 AM.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Funny, that is exactly why Allen could still be on the board. Unfinished product with exceptionally high ceiling.

Texans could cut Wade, a pro bowler, draft Long & actually improve.

Kiko is a four down LB, rare in a 3-4.

Completely sick haul, would not complain.
This is where we differ on Allen - I think he has reached his peak , you see him as unfinished. Whoever is right on this evaluation is the big winner ... one way or another.

Long .... You know I like ... I just dont think he's ready to contribute tomorrow morning when this team needs him. 18months , two years down the road , yeah , I love his upside.

Kiko .... meh. We'll just have to agree to disagree on his evaluation. I think he's a bust in the NFL.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 02-19-2013   #17
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
This is where we differ on Allen - I think he has reached his peak , you see him as unfinished. Whoever is right on this evaluation is the big winner ... one way or another.

Long .... You know I like ... I just dont think he's ready to contribute tomorrow morning when this team needs him. 18months , two years down the road , yeah , I love his upside.

Kiko .... meh. We'll just have to agree to disagree on his evaluation. I think he's a bust in the NFL.
Just because Long isn't ready to contribute right now shouldn't deter you from drafting him. You have to always look and think long term. If you think a guy can be a great player 2 yrs down the line, you draft him. If you don't,someone else will and your team will have to compete against that guy.
Old 02-19-2013   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Like all the players but hate that we dont get a DT. I really like kiko. High football IQ, good in coverage and can really lay the wood. Perfect fit next to Cushing IMO. I would like it a lot more if we went with Short in the first and draf a couple of WR's later rounds like Hamilton and Kaufman. However I would be very happy with this haul.
Old 02-19-2013   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Just because Long isn't ready to contribute right now shouldn't deter you from drafting him. You have to always look and think long term. If you think a guy can be a great player 2 yrs down the line, you draft him. If you don't,someone else will and your team will have to compete against that guy.
Under normal circumstances , I'd agree with you on this , and remember in my first mock I had Long in the second round.

Things are a bit different this offseason at least in my opinion , the team is very close to a superbowl and I think the window of opportunity is short.

The players drafted in the first half of this draft need to step in and contribute early and often while shoring up weaknesses at those positions.

I dont think Long is ready to contribute as a rookie making a position change at the highest level of play.

I only see Schaub here one or two more years .... there is no telling who replaces him. For Schaub to be successful .... He has to have real good protection.

Now ... if Schaubs eventual replacement is a top 3rd of the NFL type that window of opportunity grows wider because this team is pretty young at its core. But its hard to know who your replacement is that far out. I just think next season is an all or nothing proposition and we cant afford a project player that high .... despite having all the tools and athleticism Long is a project in the NFL.

Damn if Schaub doesnt limit us on the field , now he's limiting us in the draft .... (thats suppose to be semi sarcastic)

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 02-19-2013   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

Allen hasn't played since October because of a sprain to his posterior cruciate ligament that didn't require surgery. He will be medically checked, poked & prodded. He played only 9 games his Junior season & you think he has reached his peak, on what basis? Remember Marvin Jones? Keenan developed along side him as a freshmen & sophomore almost doubling production one year to next. Keenan was on pace to destroy those numbers his Junior season when injured. Allen has an NFL body teams covet, lean cut & athletic for position, with plus YAC which would make sense for Texans similar to how they use Andre now so he is a perfect fit for Kubiak. Andre could focus more on taking the cover off defenses & drawing defenders out of the box while Allen works underneath.

Long would add much needed depth on the offensive line. His contract could offset cutting a veteran player so he could be next man up or even start. He is an inside mauler type Texans/Schaub would really love to have. Like his family he was a DE who converted late. He dwarfs those two by the way, his natural position is LG where he started & dominated for Oregon.

Alonzo has some Clay Matthews in him, very instinctive. He could easily play OLB as well thus adding another dimension & salary cap savings. He is a three down LB with special teams value. Expect solid combine numbers from him in his drills, not sure about forty or bench, but looks to have excellent footwork.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read