Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2013   #41
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Cost Of James Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Not sure I understand the degrading of the running game.

2012 = 2123/4.2 YPC/19 TD
2011 = 2448/4.5 YPC/18 TD

Leach's last year in 2010: 2043/4.8 YPC/20 TD

If you look at the total production in the two years he has been in Baltimore compared with the two years before he got there (Rice has been there four years = 2 with and 2 without), the Ravens running game has virtually the same yards, APC and TD's. 2000/4.3/16

If you want to point to YPC decrease, especially this year, there are so many factors: time killing running plays in 4th quarters, new right side of O-line, Tate not being able to keep himself healthy.

And yet, in spite of all that they still finished in the top 10 for rushing yards and top 5 for rushing TD's. Throw in the fact that they were a top 10 passing team as well, and only one team in the NFL had more passing AND rushing yards, the Patriots.

So in the end, the Texans let Leach walk and kept their production. The Ravens gave him a huge contract, and kept their production. I'm going to say the Texans made out just fine in the deal.

As far as Casey goes, he either gave you better production out of the backfield in the passing game than Leach ever did in his 5 years here, or he gave you #2 TE stats, because his numbers this year were comparable to the last three years that Dreesen had. Considering that Graham was the #2 TE and did not get as targeted as much as Casey did as the FB, especially considering the two-TE sets that this team employs, it shows that Casey could be a very adequate #2 TE.

I'm not stating that Casey is or ever will be the pure blocking FB that Leach was. Casey should not be paid big FB money because he is a hybrid. But let's not pretend that he was hot garbage out there and him walking away would not a detriment to this offense.
Couple of things when comparing the running game. In 2011 it was not all Casey. it was Vickers too. In fact, they nearly evenly split the run blocking plays that season (Casey 215; Vickers 204) which sort of tells you how the team felt about Casey's run blocking abilities since Vickers had a total of 281 plays and they were all mainly for run blocking.

None the less take PFF grades. Since 2008 Leach was top three in run blocking every season except the one we had Slaton and Moats sharing the load. Even one season Slaton averaged 4.8 with Leach. Casey? He has been graded as one of the worst run blocking fullbacks in the league generally graded in '11 and '12 in the 20's (24th and then 21st).

So yeah at FB from the blocking perspective he has been hot garbage or maybe lukewarm garbage, heh. He has other benefits which are better to be focused on while letting someone else field the lead blocking role.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #42
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 84722 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Couple of things when comparing the running game. In 2011 it was not all Casey. it was Vickers too. In fact, they nearly evenly split the run blocking plays that season (Casey 215; Vickers 204) which sort of tells you how the team felt about Casey's run blocking abilities since Vickers had a total of 281 plays and they were all mainly for run blocking.

None the less take PFF grades. Since 2008 Leach was top three in run blocking every season except the one we had Slaton and Moats sharing the load. Even one season Slaton averaged 4.8 with Leach. Casey? He has been graded as one of the worst run blocking fullbacks in the league generally graded in '11 and '12 in the 20's (24th and then 21st).

So yeah at FB from the blocking perspective he has been hot garbage or maybe lukewarm garbage, heh. He has other benefits which are better to be focused on while letting someone else field the lead blocking role.
Here is the deal. They had "that guy" that everyone thinks we need in the FB role, and were not willing to pay him market price. They've brought in others like him, and finally gave the role to hybrid TE. That tells me that they may not value the traditional FB role as much as some here think they should, or at least were not going to pay for it.

Casey came in and succeeded in the opportunities that were given to him. They did not ask him to be a Leach. They asked him to do something different. He was on pace for 40+ catches on the season until the last 5 games when the offense sputtered to 18 points a game. Only one FB had more receptions than Casey on the year, even with only 6 receptions in the last 5 games. Foster had 13 of his 17 rushing TD's from 3 yards or less, and while I don't have the data handy, I'll go on a limb and say Casey was lead blocker in goal situations.

I'm not going to argue that he is comparable to Leach from a blocking perspective, because he isn't. But in the role that they have placed him in, he is doing his part to make this team successful while being an incredible value financially. Casey is not hurting this team, and there are much easier targets on both sides of the ball where we can point to about needing improved play.

Casey will get more than the $615K he made this season. He deserves it and the Texans should pay it. But he shouldn't break the bank, and I doubt the team will put an offer on the table that will. If he goes in FA as a TE to another club, then so be it. But I think it would be stupid for the team to simply let him walk. He is way too versatile a player. IMHO.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here is the deal. They had "that guy" that everyone thinks we need in the FB role, and were not willing to pay him market price. They've brought in others like him, and finally gave the role to hybrid TE. That tells me that they may not value the traditional FB role as much as some here think they should, or at least were not going to pay for it.

Casey came in and succeeded in the opportunities that were given to him. They did not ask him to be a Leach. They asked him to do something different. He was on pace for 40+ catches on the season until the last 5 games when the offense sputtered to 18 points a game. Only one FB had more receptions than Casey on the year, even with only 6 receptions in the last 5 games. Foster had 13 of his 17 rushing TD's from 3 yards or less, and while I don't have the data handy, I'll go on a limb and say Casey was lead blocker in goal situations.
In case no one noticed, stout Brandon Brooks was called in on goal line situations quite a bit to act as lead blocker.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #44
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Casey will get more than the $615K he made this season. He deserves it and the Texans should pay it. But he shouldn't break the bank, and I doubt the team will put an offer on the table that will. If he goes in FA as a TE to another club, then so be it. But I think it would be stupid for the team to simply let him walk. He is way too versatile a player. IMHO.
I agree though I rather see him at tight end. I like Daniels receiving wise but he can't block for crap. Casey has to be somewhat an improvement there and most likely can catch just as good as O.D. with a better chance at YAC. Could just be me but as the season went on Daniels didn't seem the same.

Something tells me though teams will look Casey as more of a TE than a FB and offer him better money than the Texans. I hope not but I still haven't developed faith in Rick Smith's abilities to work magic with salaries so here's to hoping it works out that we don't lose one of the actual athletic pieces on offense we actually have.
Old 02-19-2013   #45
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 84722 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
I agree though I rather see him at tight end. I like Daniels receiving wise but he can't block for crap. Casey has to be somewhat an improvement there and most likely can catch just as good as O.D. with a better chance at YAC. Could just be me but as the season went on Daniels didn't seem the same.

Something tells me though teams will look Casey as more of a TE than a FB and offer him better money than the Texans. I hope not but I still haven't developed faith in Rick Smith's abilities to work magic with salaries so here's to hoping it works out that we don't lose one of the actual athletic pieces on offense we actually have.
If he leaves, it is definitely as a TE. I can't imagine that he has that much market value as a FB considering the hybrid role he has played here.

OD had a respectable 4.8 YAC this year, and overall was obviously his best year in about four years thanks to injuries. Even though Casey had a 6.5 YAC, that may have been more scheme than anything else with passes to the flat and releasing from the backfield giving him more open space. It seems like towards the end of the season, Schaub was constantly throwing to OD right at the sideline on 5 yard out routes.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey's getting quite a bit of attention

Quote:
Adam Caplan‏@caplannfl

The #Eagles are in the process of scheduling a visit for H-Back James Casey (Texans), per source. There's one of your "jokers" on offense.
Old 03-12-2013   #47
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like he might get paid. Congrats James
Quote:
Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26

14 teams have expressed interest in FB James Casey including the Texans. His first visit is with the Eagles.
Old 03-12-2013   #48
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a good TE but he not really a great blocking FB in the mold of a Vonte Leach or Lawerence Vickers.
ASidd_1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #49
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry, just don't think he's all that everyone here's making him out to be. Could really care less is we kept him to be honest. I'm sure there's a place for him in the league on someone's team, just don't think that it's where many here think it is...ST's maybe?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #50
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I'm sorry, just don't think he's all that everyone here's making him out to be. Could really care less is we kept him to be honest. I'm sure there's a place for him in the league on someone's team, just don't think that it's where many here think it is...ST's maybe?
I think in a league where teams are mixing up the offenses, they see a lot of potential in his jack of all trades style. Use him at H-Back, TE, split him out. I've seen many people talking about how he is a hot commodity. I think you can do more with him than just say .."play FB this series" and "play TE" this series. I think he could be used more like Aaron Hernandez.
Old 03-12-2013   #51
ASidd_1990
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 ASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respectedASidd_1990 is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain saying Casey has gotten calls from 14 teams.

He's a goner IMO.

Texans misused him I think, watch him be a productive H-back for another team.
Old 03-12-2013   #52
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I think in a league where teams are mixing up the offenses, they see a lot of potential in his jack of all trades style. Use him at H-Back, TE, split him out. I've seen many people talking about how he is a hot commodity. I think you can do more with him than just say .."play FB this series" and "play TE" this series. I think he could be used more like Aaron Hernandez.
I agree, he can fit in someone's scheme..especially with the spread offenses starting to become much more prominent in the NFL. But as far as him here in our system, with our qb.. he's pretty much a wasted roster spot.

I just don't see him becoming much more than what he already is...which is 1 of those guys that gets an extremely limited amount of snaps for a team but will pop up with a big reception every now & then largely b/c defenses aren't paying him much attention....kinda like the tackle-elgible WR package teams use in the red zone from time to time.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Just don't ask him to catch a TD pass in the playoffs.

yeah, I'm still as pissed about that as some are about Jacoby Jones.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #54
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Just don't ask him to catch a TD pass in the playoffs.

yeah, I'm still as pissed about that as some are about Jacoby Jones.
Now that you say that he'll catch 5 next year and succeed in playoffs ala Jacoby
Old 03-12-2013   #55
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

So much for just a visit. Geesh

Quote:
Paul Kuharsky‏@espn_afcsouth

ESPN reports #Eagles are closing in on an agreement with #Texans FA TE/FB James Casey.
Old 03-12-2013   #56
ASidd_1990
Veteran

As of 3:51 PM the Texans have cut Kevin Walter and lost FA James Casey to the Eagles.

Bold prediction, Connor Barwin agrees to a deal with Colts/Patriots and we cut Antonio Smith
Old 03-12-2013   #57
deucetx
All Pro

Heh looks like no hometown discount here. If he lands with the Eagles though that is a pretty good fit for him. Oh well, if he moves on then best wishes to the guy. Loved how he played...

....except the play Obi brought up lol.
Old 03-12-2013   #58
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASidd_1990 View Post
John McClain saying Casey has gotten calls from 14 teams.

He's a goner IMO.

Texans misused him I think, watch him be a productive H-back for another team.
I agree,

terrible coaching wasting a guy who could of been really special if put in the right situation here in Houston.

Casey will be a beast in Philly

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #59
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375285 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I tend to agree. Solid player, but not spectacular in any one area. Lot of folks prop his versatility. But to me, it' like one of those tools with lots of tools built in. Nice, but never going to be as good as a stand-alone screwdriver, scissors, etc.
Old 03-12-2013   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing you can say is that the Texans drafted well, especially if you think that Casey was not used correctly.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read