Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-17-2013   #81
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans #2 WR position

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
OK, go to the optometrist or ophthalmologist because you are blind if you think AJ sucks at blocking.
Kinda let that go because I've already said I have yet to see ANY Texans WR critisized for poor blocking...Andre included. Andre has very few holes in his game imo. Letting an easy pass hit the ground on occasion is probably his lone fault & is erased w/ all the other good aspects of his game...including his blocking imo.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #82
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I realize 50 receptions may not seem like a lot to some, but to me that is more then Walter contributed & thus would be quite an impact for the Texans. Especially if you take into account the yards & TD's that were accumulated w/ those receptions for some of those rookies.

My definition of "impact" is any player who can surpass Walter's production in year 1, which shouldn't be that difficult considering the following rookie wr's were all capable of doing that & have upside & potential to only get better: K. Wright, J. Blackmon, TY Hilton, Josh Gordon, Chris Givens, Michael Floyd, & one TE in Dwayne Allen all outperformed Walter. Some could easily throw Rod Streater in there as well, despite having 2 less receptions then Walter he still surpassed him in yards & TD's. Once all the names are considered you then have to figure in the fact that ALL of them surpassed Walter's production as #2 & most of them as #3 WR's.

For what we need...I think a rookie could & would do fine if given the opportunity because its obvious that our current #2 wr has not set any unattainable standards. Multiple rookies outperformed him this year & some did it while playing in lesser roles as #3 WR's for their offenses. We just need improvement, as far as production, w/ potential for the future as opposed to taking the NFL by storm year 1 imo.
This is my thought on my pre-combine mock with Kawaan Short replacing Smith and Cody being replaced by Williams. Even if they just perform status quo will be cheaper and younger.
Old 02-17-2013   #83
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That has to be the most overblown exaggeration of any one ability to justify Walter. I have yet to see ANY of the Texans WR's criticised by anyone for being just piss poor blockers. It's never been noticeable by watching the game, which I normally do w/ most at least twice, nor has it ever been emphasized by any Texan coach or member of the media on how all the other wr's are just so lacking in the blocking dept that none can compare to Walter's out of this world blocking. Needless to say, Walter may be a good blocker but he doesn't outshine the others to a noticeable degree imo. As I said earlier, its an exaggeration to justify one unproductive player who doesn't deserve to be a starter. If blocking is a wr's best asset, that is a problem regardless of someone tries to.spin it. I am just glad McNair is FINALLY making it known that he believes a playmaker is needed, not just a blocker.

Too bad the HC is once again needing to be guided by the owner on what is needed to improve this team, but that's for another thread.
I'd invite you to back off of me. This is not my opinion........I was simply relating that this is what the Texans have been spouting all along to justify Walter's existence..........not a reason that I share as legitimate for the Texans having made that decision.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #84
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think BullBlitz answered your dilemma best in the post of above yours. Money not spent wisely. Re-signing Walter & Jacoby would be great indicators of that for starters.

You say the money has been spent to rebuild the defense, but then you have to take into account that Reed, Barwin, Cushing, Watt, Kareem, & Quin were all playing under rookie contracts & starters. Rookie contracts are hardly the most expensive & considering more then half of the starting defense was or is playing under rookie contracts you would think there should be money to spare. That should be a lot of savings but as we all know the Texans have had salary cap issues & still do to some degree. So money not being spent wisely could very easily sum up why other positions have been neglected along the way & once again it all goes back to some degree, Smith is not in the clear on this one, to the HC who has his hands in it all.
What is Smith/Olson's job and who is screwing up the cap Yr after Yr?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
whoever it is, they're cheap bastards.
Old 02-17-2013   #86
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'd invite you to back off of me. This is not my opinion........I was simply relating that this is what the Texans have been spouting all along to justify Walter's existence..........not a reason that I share as legitimate for the Texans having made that decision.
The Texans dont seem to have many legitimate answers for alot of things they do.

Walter/4 yrs of Schaub with a wackedout bonus structure/The bonus structure of Foster etc.... with a known heart problem.

Makes you wonder who's calling the shots in the FO and what they were thinking/drinking.
Old 02-17-2013   #87
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

offer a 2nd rounder for percy harvin. problem solved.
Old 02-17-2013   #88
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
offer a 2nd rounder for percy harvin. problem solved.
+ 10 mil, with a fully torn ankle ligament?

PASS
Old 02-18-2013   #89
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just to be clear, this has nothing to do w/ you personally. My response concerning the SUBJECT of WALTER would've be the same regardless of who posted it. I think it's a BS justification for an unproductive player. Bottom line. So please don't assume that I'm some how targeting or on you because that is far from the truth.
Old 02-18-2013   #90
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just to be clear, this has nothing to do w/ you personally. My response concerning the SUBJECT of WALTER would've be the same regardless of who posted it. I think it's a BS justification for an unproductive player. Bottom line. So please don't assume that I'm some how targeting or on you because that is far from the truth.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #91
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Oh I believe Smith is just as much at fault, if not slightly more, then kubiak but kubiak is the one who chooses the players that he wants to obtain or retain & if money is being wasted on ineffective & unproductive players then that's just as much on kubiak IMO. Kubiak simply ok'ing the re-signing Walter & Jacoby puts him at fault to some degree because neither one of them were a legitimate #2 WR nor did they improve the WR position. That was a waste of money once you consider at one point that it costed the Texans 6.5-7M in salary. Smith may have overpaid them, but Kubiak wanted them. It goes hand in hand IMO.
Old 02-18-2013   #92
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
:
Old 02-18-2013   #93
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I just spoke to a co-worker whose son plays for Lousianana Tech. He said that Quinton Patton has some anger issues that he needs to iron out when he goes pro.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #94
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I just spoke to a co-worker whose son plays for Lousianana Tech. He said that Quinton Patton has some anger issues that he needs to iron out when he goes pro.
He's probably angry that with his talent he ended up having to go to La. Tech LOL
Old 02-18-2013   #95
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
I don't mind a little fire in a player. Our offense could use a player that gets a little fired up as long as it doesn't cost the team. Hopefully that's a lesson he learns quickly, but a little attitude never hurts imo.
Old 02-19-2013   #96
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said in a previous post I believe in this thread that you can tell he plays with an edge and a chip on his shoulder. Some of the greatest receivers in the game are hot heads so that doesn't concern me. We have a good mix of veterans and young guys so a guy like Andre would be able to keep him under wraps. He hasn't gotten in any off field trouble from what I know and that's all that matters to me. Teams do so much digging when evaluating a player so if he's that much of a problem then reports will come out as draft day approaches. He's probably the one receiver I'd want in this draft outside of Patterson so I'd be happy if his name is called when we pick.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013   #97
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I don't care what kind of supposed pressure the fan base implies,you have to build a team capable of long term success. The foundation is good,but can get better and that includes the wr opposite of andre and his successor. I mean we all know how pathetic the offense is minus andre either by injury,double team,or elite corner. They need a guy,a young guy capable of being a top target wthin 2 or 3 yrs as andre fades. That guy can get training this year whether its hunter,williams,or some other guy. For the fan base who wants to pass because of the duration it might or might not take,then that's your choice. Maybe if kubiak and smith had desperation like some think,then maybe they would risk losing cushing to pay this all out wr who was probably drafted where the texans are drafting now. Of the top wrs is the game now,how many were drafted high? In fact,the top free agents wrs this year none were high picks. Jennings,bowe,wallace,nicks, not 1. So why the lack of patience by the fanbase?
Old 02-19-2013   #98
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I don't care what kind of supposed pressure the fan base implies,you have to build a team capable of long term success. The foundation is good,but can get better and that includes the wr opposite of andre and his successor. I mean we all know how pathetic the offense is minus andre either by injury,double team,or elite corner. They need a guy,a young guy capable of being a top target wthin 2 or 3 yrs as andre fades. That guy can get training this year whether its hunter,williams,or some other guy. For the fan base who wants to pass because of the duration it might or might not take,then that's your choice. Maybe if kubiak and smith had desperation like some think,then maybe they would risk losing cushing to pay this all out wr who was probably drafted where the texans are drafting now. Of the top wrs is the game now,how many were drafted high? In fact,the top free agents wrs this year none were high picks. Jennings,bowe,wallace,nicks, not 1. So why the lack of patience by the fanbase?
You do realize that list of top FA WR's consist of 2 former 1st round picks, 1 2nd round pick, & 1 3rd round pick? I would consider at least the two 1st rounders & the 2nd rounder "high picks". Some could even make a debate for the 3rd rounder. Posey has been the highest pick used on a WR since Jacoby despite the position needing some help for a few years now & no player of real significance has been brought in via FA to fill the void for lengthy period of time. I think that's where the lack of patience comes from because outside of Andre the position is in need of help & that has been the situation for at least a couple of years now IMO.

Last edited by tru80texan; 02-19-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2013   #99
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
My lack of patience stems from ignoring the WR position for so long, JJ not working out, and our guys from last draft doing so much less that was expected. Add to the list Jean who has difficulty remaining on field and him not being a high draft pick that I can easily move on from.
Old 02-19-2013   #100
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Any chance we can make enough cap space to sign 28-year-old Miles Austin if the Dallas Cowboys release him for salary purposes? I'm assuming we can release 31-year-old Kevin Walter and he'll probably end up in Dallas.

That would be funny if we basically swap number two wide receivers with our in-state rivals. Except we would end up with the much more explosive and younger guy to better compliment Andre Johnson.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read