Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2013   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Vance Joseph on DBs

Check out this podcast, from last Thursday (Valentines) he said a couple of things I thought was interesting, so check it out & let's discuss.

You'll need to go down & click on the one that says, "DB coach, Vance Joseph on DBs"

I'd have liked to hear them ask him what it's like working with Wade.

& if he'd be interested in taking over STs.
Old 02-16-2013   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vance Joseph on DBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Check out this podcast, from last Thursday (Valentines) he said a couple of things I thought was interesting, so check it out & let's discuss.

You'll need to go down & click on the one that says, "DB coach, Vance Joseph on DBs"

I'd have liked to hear them ask him what it's like working with Wade.

& if he'd be interested in taking over STs.
I didn't see your post until I began a new Thread re "Special Teams Assistant Coordinators." If the Texans are insistant on keeping Marciano, it would be nice to at least have another legitimate voice in the mix.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting about KJ not getting coached up . He likes McCain , was hesitant on Keo and others .
Old 02-16-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing I found most interesting is when asked what his role was for FA, he said his job was to find replacements for the guys, in case we aren't able to keep Quin & McClain.
Old 02-16-2013   #5
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked what they talked about with the QB's.

Would anyone be opposed to Barkley being drafted by us?

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013   #6
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that mantra. Preparing for the worst. If they stay, awesome. If not, there won't be that bad of a drop off.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

So, what I got was...
  • KJ was a poor technician, now that's fixed
  • McCain excels at covering the little, fast slot guys
  • Brandon Harris needed to get his body in shape first, which he has, now needs experience
  • Keo needs playing experience
  • Roc Carmichael still needs to develop his body
  • Eddie Pleasant needs to get into his playbook and learn what to do

What he's focusing on at the combine: drills, 40. Interview, not so much
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2013   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Strange how one coaching staff thought KJ was the most NFL Ready CB in his draft. But the next coaching staff thought he was a poor technician.
Old 02-17-2013   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Strange how one coaching staff thought KJ was the most NFL Ready CB in his draft. But the next coaching staff thought he was a poor technician.
They were probably considering the system they would use. For whatever Gibbs was doing, he was the most ready, Pollard was also a good fit. For what Vance is doing, Kj needed to learn the technique, & Pollard was a square peg.
Old 02-17-2013   #10
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They were probably considering the system they would use. For whatever Gibbs was doing, he was the most ready, Pollard was also a good fit. For what Vance is doing, Kj needed to learn the technique, & Pollard was a square peg.
"NFL Ready" normally equates to being ready to play day 1 in any scheme in the NFL from what I've come to learn. Those that have limitations are normally described as such w/ descriptions such as "cover 2 type" or "press cb". Normally meaning they lack in 1 style while possibly being better suited for the other. KJ was just described as "NFL ready" by the Texans FO which includes a seasoned NFL coach & former DB for a GM. Obviously KJ was not "NFL ready" regardless of scheme & it seems he was evaluated improperly by those that chose him. It seems that Vance is at least willing to admit that even if some of us remain in denial.

I think KJ can get better, but at least it was nice to finally see some noticeable improvement. Hopefully it continues.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ProFootballFocus rated KJ overall 14th out of 113 CBs in 2012 and 11th/113 in pass coverage. (minimum 25% team snaps)

In the playoffs, KJ was rated overall 3/46 and JJo 5/46. (no minimum snaps)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #12
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
ProFootballFocus rated KJ overall 14th out of 113 CBs in 2012 and 11th/113 in pass coverage. (minimum 25% team snaps)

In the playoffs, KJ was rated overall 3/46 and JJo 5/46. (no minimum snaps)
That's good to know. He still has issues getting his around but he's timing getting his hands up at the right time a lot better. Also still has an issue or 2 w/ double moves, but most definitely improved. I wish he could play tighter to line instead of using his cushion as a safety net from getting burned, but he is showing signs of improvement & hopefully it continues. Doesn't erase the incorrect evaluation of him out of college, but the Texans seem to be finally heading towards getting what they paid for.
Old 02-17-2013   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
So, what I got was...
  • [*]KJ was a poor technician, now that's fixed
  • McCain excels at covering the little, fast slot guys
  • Brandon Harris needed to get his body in shape first, which he has, now needs experience
  • Keo needs playing experience
  • Roc Carmichael still needs to develop his body
  • Eddie Pleasant needs to get into his playbook and learn what to do

What he's focusing on at the combine: drills, 40. Interview, not so much
What I said about KJ from beginning, more important than being right is knowing the coach has fixed him. If Harris, Roc and Pleasant step up this season--great!
Old 02-17-2013   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
"NFL Ready" normally equates to being ready to play day 1 in any scheme in the NFL from what I've come to learn. Those that have limitations are normally described as such w/ descriptions such as "cover 2 type" or "press cb". Normally meaning they lack in 1 style while possibly being better suited for the other. KJ was just described as "NFL ready" by the Texans FO which includes a seasoned NFL coach & former DB for a GM. Obviously KJ was not "NFL ready" regardless of scheme & it seems he was evaluated improperly by those that chose him. It seems that Vance is at least willing to admit that even if some of us remain in denial.

I think KJ can get better, but at least it was nice to finally see some noticeable improvement. Hopefully it continues.
When KJ revealed that he was going to enter the NFL Draft after his Junior year at Alabama, Saban specifically (made widely public) told him he was not NFL ready. The Texans knew this............yet the Texans' brain trust, just like KJ himself, knew better and still said he was NFL ready (immediately ready to start at CB) simply based on the fact that he was coming from Saban's Alabama pro style sets. Saban told him he needed to return for his senior year to adequately prepare for his NFL debut.

Tide's Kareem Jackson passes on Saban's advice, enters NFL draft

Published: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama junior cornerback Kareem Jackson said it was "a real tough decision," but one he'd made a while ago.

Jackson said Friday he will forego his senior season at Alabama and enter the 2010 NFL draft. Friday was the deadline for underclassmen to declare.

After the BCS national title game, Jackson returned home to discuss the situation with family. He then came back to Tuscaloosa and met with Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban, who advised Jackson to return for another year.

"We had a couple of conversations about it," Jackson told the Press-Register. "He thought that I should come back for my senior year, but it was good. We left things on good terms. He told me he'd help me any way he can.

"He just gave me his opinion on it, and regardless of the situation, that's my coach and I respect him. He's made me the player that I am. I have to give all the credit to him."

Jackson said he had made up his mind to leave early but waited to publicly reveal it.

"I think I made the right decision," he said. "I'm pretty confident about it. I'm just ready to get to work and kind of prove myself to be a player at the next level."

The Texans continued to keep the myth going.:

Quote:
Rotoworld
Texans coach Gary Kubiak said that first-round CB Kareem Jackson is "way ahead" of where most rookies are right now.
Jackson is already running with the first team and he'll almost certainly be there on opening day. The 20th overall pick benefited greatly from playing in Nick Saban's defense at Alabama and we don't expect him to be a liability as a rookie.
Source: Houston Chronicle
Wed, Jun 2, 2010 09:19:00 AM
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

CND I remember all that and kept going no, no no. It has worked out but now we need Harris & Carmichael to improve. That would really strengthen our D.
Old 02-17-2013   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post

Since when does nfl ready mean that a player can be effective in any system? NFL ready simply means that a guy is good enough at what he does to play his position, which many times is scheme oriented, and compete in the nfl right now. It doesn't mean he is ready to be a star or able to play in any scheme.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013   #17
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Since when does nfl ready mean that a player can be effective in any system? NFL ready simply means that a guy is good enough at what he does to play his position, which many times is scheme oriented, and compete in the nfl right now. It doesn't mean he is ready to be a star or able to play in any scheme.
So even by your own definition the Texans evaluation was completely wrong because Kareem was anything but ready to compete in the NFL as a rookie. Normally competing equates to being somewhat effective, so I'm not quite sure what your argument is because Kareem wasnt effective in any scheme nor did he compete. This has NOTHING to do w/ being a "star" & everything to do w/ being able to at least hold your own a majority of the time which is what the Texans falsely believed & preached. We all know that the Texans were looking for a cb & wanted one that could start from day 1 w/ the 1st round pick. They werent picking Kareem to be the "NFL ready" bench warmer. KJ was a starter as soon as the Texans called his name & obviously he was not ready for the NFL.
Old 02-18-2013   #18
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
CND I remember all that and kept going no, no no. It has worked out but now we need Harris & Carmichael to improve. That would really strengthen our D.
I really like Harris. He struggled at times, but that was against the likes of Wes Welker. He made some decent plays on the ball & at least seemed to be in the area at all times. I think some more playing time is all that he needs & he will develop into a true asset. I wouldn't be surprised if McCain is allowed to walk & they allow Harris to step up. I'm not quite sold on Carmichael. I hope he comes around, but I wasn't high on him when he was drafted. You can never have too many decent cb's.
Old 02-18-2013   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

While I like the idea of spreading Vance Joseph into the realm of ST's, I would also rather him stay 100% focused on the secondary, including Kareem Jackson's improvement.

Marciano's ST's have sucked over the last two years, BUT he does have an overall good track record. Maybe the Texans should hire him an assistant that is an up and comer, ballsy effer.
Old 02-18-2013   #20
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
While I like the idea of spreading Vance Joseph into the realm of ST's, I would also rather him stay 100% focused on the secondary, including Kareem Jackson's improvement.

Marciano's ST's have sucked over the last two years, BUT he does have an overall good track record. Maybe the Texans should hire him an assistant that is an up and comer, ballsy effer.
I cant recall the ST's ever really being an asset & they have been under Marciano's watch since day 1. In fact, I think it could easily be said that the ST's are regressing. 2010 was an ugly year for the Texans & ST's definitely had their lows that year as well. I think the last 3 years they have sucked to be honest. An assistant ST's coach isn't needed...a new ST's coach all together is imo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read