Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-14-2013   #41
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Just another testament to how much of an offensive guru kubiak is.

I still smdh when i think about the days everyone was calling kubiak an offensive guru.

Sad stuff.

We also probably lead the league or close to the top of 2nd and long running plays.

Those who called Kubiak an offensive guru, yall should slap yourselves in the face.
I still consider him an offensive guru, so I went ahead and slapped myself for you.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #42
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

He IS a offensive guru. Just not on 3rd & long. And not when his starting QB is Schaub.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #43
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Lead NFL.......in RUNS on 3rd And Long

The majority of these came from behind their own 20 yard line. Very predictable trend, and the only explanation for it is to create space for a punt. -_-
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #44
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher said Kubiak is an offensive Guru! Just saying.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #45
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I'd like to see this stat split up to where we are on the field. Makes a big difference if we're pinned inside our own 20 or not. If it's like 80% inside the 20, but around 1-2% outside the 20... then I'm ok with this stat.

You have to keep in mind we have one of the best defenses in football. Why take chances when we don't have to.

If we're playing a high-powered offense, or the defense is playing like crap... then yes, I'd like to see us take more chances. But for majority of this season, we didn't have to.
Field position on "3rd and long" makes a huge difference.
So does the yardage necessary make a big difference ... 3rd and 7 as opposed to 3rd and 12.

But another major factor is the score and time. If we are facing a 3rd and long ahead 28 - 7 with 6 minutes to play, I am perfectly OK if Kubiak runs the ball 100% of those times.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013   #46
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Just another testament to how much of an offensive guru kubiak is.

I still smdh when i think about the days everyone was calling kubiak an offensive guru.

Sad stuff.

We also probably lead the league or close to the top of 2nd and long running plays.

Those who called Kubiak an offensive guru, yall should slap yourselves in the face.
Even so ... we also "lead the league or close to the top" in wins.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013   #47
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Cowher said Kubiak is an offensive Guru! Just saying.
Really? Got a link? If not, I guess we would just have to take it for what its worth.

I think Belichick thinks otherwise & proved it...twice. Just saying..
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
Even so ... we also "lead the league or close to the top" in wins.
Ah.... the good ol days, when that was all that matters.

Kubiak must be doing a great job now that expectations are much higher. We got a steal when we extended him. Hope to lock him up for a long time to come. Then they'll be complaining that we didn't run the score up while winning our first Super Bowl.
Old 02-15-2013   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Really? Got a link? If not, I guess we would just have to take it for what its worth.

I think Belichick thinks otherwise & proved it...twice. Just saying..
Here is a thread, with a link where Cowher was very complimentary of Kubiak. I don't know that he's called Kubiak a guru, but he's pretty high on him none-the-less.
Old 02-15-2013   #50
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Here is a thread, with a link where Cowher was very complimentary of Kubiak. I don't know that he's called Kubiak a guru, but he's pretty high on him none-the-less.
Thanks for the link. I'm having issues listening to it because I'm on my phone.

As of late, kubiak has taken some criticism for his offense & how he utilizes it & makes adjustments, or lack thereof, accordingly. I haven't heard the term "guru" used to describe him in quite some time by anyone outside of Houston to he honest. He's under contract so we have time to see if he is capable of convincing the naysayers, fans & media. Myself included to be honest.
Old 02-15-2013   #51
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

What's Cowher going to do, act like Meril Hodge and completely urinate on a head coach like Hodge did on Tebow?

Nobody debates the idea that Gary Kubiak is good at things. It's just that he isn't raising his game to new levels and finding creative ways to overcome periods of low productivity...he's leveling out and not responding to the shifting sands of the NFL.

You can be a smart person and still be dumb.
Old 02-15-2013   #52
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What's Cowher going to do, act like Meril Hodge and completely urinate on a head coach like Hodge did on Tebow?

Nobody debates the idea that Gary Kubiak is good at things. It's just that he isn't raising his game to new levels and finding creative ways to overcome periods of low productivity...he's leveling out and not responding to the shifting sands of the NFL.

You can be a smart person and still be dumb.
Couldn't agree more as far Kubiak & him progressing as a coach. The simple & easy comeback will be he's a 12-4 coach & that's enough to satisfy some. Unfortunately, I want & expect more then AFC South Championships & pretty regular season records. I truly doubt the Colts fans were happy w/ just AFC South banners year in & year out, but this is new to us & hopefully eventually we too will all expect & want more as well.
Old 02-15-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Couldn't agree more as far Kubiak & him progressing as a coach. The simple & easy comeback will be he's a 12-4 coach & that's enough to satisfy some. Unfortunately, I want & expect more then AFC South Championships & pretty regular season records. I truly doubt the Colts fans were happy w/ just AFC South banners year in & year out, but this is new to us & hopefully eventually we too will all expect & want more as well.
The difference is when the Colts were racking up AFC South Championship banners, I don't think their fans were eager to run their HC & QB out of town. They may have been, but I don't know.

I doubt Ravens' fans were as bad as we are here the last few years & they started out with a better team.

I doubt the Falcons fans were as bad.

And I could be completely wrong about all those. I'm disappointed we didn't get tot he AFC Championship, but I understand things don't always happen the way I want. We ran out of gas...... it happens.

Forget the fact that the Patriots won 3 Superbowls with Brady & Belichick & imagine we had the same type of seasons they had since 2005. Nine years going to the play offs, only getting to the Super Bowl twice, & failing both times.

That's a bonafide multiple Super Bowl Champion coach & QB, both going to the HoF & they couldn't get it done in nine years. So it's not the end of the world.

It's odd, to me, that we think our team is good enough to win a championship, but have no love for the QB or the HC... & many of us wouldn't piss on the GM to save his life.
Old 02-15-2013   #54
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Every fan wants their team to be a dynasty... perennial division champs and multiple super bowl championships. At the same time, I'm realistic. Becoming a dynasty is extremely difficult and requires some luck on your side.

The Colts stuck with Dungy for five playoff seasons before they eventually made it to the Super Bowl. Are you suggesting the Colts should have let Dungy go and kept circulating coaches until they found one that brought them to the SB?
Old 02-15-2013   #55
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Every fan wants their team to be a dynasty... perennial division champs and multiple super bowl championships. At the same time, I'm realistic. Becoming a dynasty is extremely difficult and requires some luck on your side.

The Colts stuck with Dungy for five playoff seasons before they eventually made it to the Super Bowl. Are you suggesting the Colts should have let Dungy go and kept circulating coaches until they found one that brought them to the SB?
I think some skill goes into creating a dynasty being that it means it is prolonged success. Discounting & attributing a dynasty to luck seems a bit off base imo. Believe it or not, good coaching & making good personnel decisions throughtout the years is considered a skill as opposed to luck w/ some franchises.

Comparing the Belichick led Pats & Dungy led Colts to kubiak is apples & oranges imo. Their turned their teams around & showed sound progress throughout their tenures & established standards of excellence that was expected by the team & fans. I'm not saying the Texans don't want or expect excellence amongst the players, but sometimes coaching alone can limit & hold a team back. The Texans have been deemed talented for years & have also been deemed underachievers as well. This year "frauds" was added to the list to describe them. That is something I don't recall ever being used to describe the Pats or the Colts in the past. The constant underachieving by the Kubiak led Texans is what has led to the doubts & naysayers over YEARS. If some how Kubiak & Schaub had led the Texans to "only" 2 Super Bowls & failed, I truly doubt the criticism would be the same. The problem is that is NOT the case & 2 playoff appearences in 7 seasons is hardly comparable to what Dungy & Belichick accomplished early in their careers w/ the Pats & Colts & assuming kubiak will accomplish the same based on his history thus far seems to be a bit of reach to say the least.

Let's be honest, most HC's w/ kubiaks record over the amount of years he has been given w/ a franchise would've been fired for his performance. Plain & simple. He has been very fortunate w/ having Uncle Bob as his boss.
Old 02-15-2013   #56
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think some skill goes into creating a dynasty being that it means it is prolonged success. Discounting & attributing a dynasty to luck seems a bit off base imo. Believe it or not, good coaching & making good personal decisions throughtout the years is considered a skill as opposed to luck w/ some franchises.

Comparing the Belichick led Pats & Dungy led Colts to kubiak is apples & oranges imo. Their turned their teams around & showed sound progress throughout their tenures & established standards of excellence that was expected by the team & fans. I'm not saying the Texans don't want or expect excellence amongst the players, but sometimes coaching alone can limit & hold a team back. The Texans have been deemed talented for years & have also been deemed underachievers as well. This year "frauds" was added to the list to describe them. That is something I don't recall ever being used to describe the Pats or the Colts in the past. The constant underachieving by the Kubiak led Texans is what has led to the doubts & naysayers over YEARS. If some how Kubiak & Schaub had led the Texans to "only" 2 Super Bowls & failed, I truly doubt the criticism would be the same. The problem is that is NOT the case & 2 playoff appearences in 7 seasons is hardly comparable to what Dungy & Belichick accomplished early in their careers w/ the Pats & Colts & assuming kubiak will accomplish the same based on his history thus far seems to be a bit of reach to say the least.

Let's be honest, most HC's w/ kubiaks record over the amount of years he has been given w/ a franchise would've been fired for his performance. Plain & simple. He has been very fortunate w/ having Uncle Bob as his boss.
I mostly agree with what you said, but...

I'm not discounting what the Patriots have done as luck. I just said dynasties require "some luck". For example, Bledsoe getting injured was a blessing in disguise. The tuck rule fiasco. The whole spygate incident. Those are instances of luck that went the Pats way and helped them to multiple super bowls. To be an NFL dynasty, you'll need an all-time great coach, an all-time great QB, and some stuff to luckily go your way. The Patriots had all three. (Unfortunately, the Texans have none of those)

Also, you may be giving Dungy a little too much credit. That Colts team was already decent when he took over. The Colts were already one of the best offenses in the league, they simply needed some defensive help. Dungy made it to the playoffs 7 times with the Colts, but only reached the Super Bowl once. Is that acceptable to you? Before the Colts, he coached the Bucs for 6 years and couldn't get them to the Super Bowl. In fact, in both cases, once Dungy left the Bucs & Colts, his predecessor brought the team to the Super Bowl. Kubiak did more in regards to re-building a team.
Old 02-15-2013   #57
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Probably helped Dungy that he had a perennially awesome QB who had that team knocking on the door of the Super Bowl quite regularly.

Kubiak doesn't have that to lean upon, so my gripe is that he's tied himself to Schaub...and by default that means Gary Kubiak is sinking his own ship rather than sailing with the wind.

I know, I know, "What other QB could he install into his offense right now?" Maybe he should think about an open QB competition; and genuinely make it a 100% true competition and not just for show?

To me, he can't blindly lean on Schaub due to the way the guy really sunk after the Detroit game. From that point forward, his QB spiraled downward with every game except the Titans away game and maybe our home game vs Colts. All other games were below standard.

So yeah, the Colts and Patriots are two teams whose QBs are almost the teams' real head coach in a sense...there is an understanding that you got no problem at QB, you're just trying to shore up whatever unit needs fixing and you're a threat (a LEGITIMATE threat) each year.

We were called frauds by the doof up in New England, and I recall Mike Lombardi calling us "soft" two years ago. I hate that those guys were dickweeds with HOW they said it, but that's sort of the truth when it's all boiled down to its base element.
Old 02-15-2013   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

The problem is that is NOT the case & 2 playoff appearences in 7 seasons is hardly comparable to what Dungy & Belichick accomplished early in their careers w/ the Pats & Colts & assuming kubiak will accomplish the same based on his history thus far seems to be a bit of reach to say the least.
To be fair, you should probably go back to Belichick in Cleveland & Dungy in Tampa.

Quote:
I don't know about that. He's only had 2 losing seasons, both 6-10 (12-20), then two 8-8 seasons (28-36), a 9-7 season (37-43), a 10-6 season (47-49), & a 12-4 season (59-53). He's got a .527 win percentage after 112 games. I'm sure there are a lot of coaches who would take that.
Old 02-15-2013   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

FYI, Dungy was fired from Tampa with a .549 win percentage, and 4 play off appearances. They won one division title. They won twice in the Wild Card rounds, and lost twice in the Wild Card round (2000 & 2001). He was in Tampa from 96-01, 6 years.

He was followed by Jon Gruden who was the Bucs coach from 2002-2008, 7 years, .513 win percentage, three division titles, one conference Championship, one Super Bowl.
  • 2002 -- 12-4
  • 2003 -- 7-9
  • 2004 --5-11
  • 2005 -- 11-5
  • 2006 -- 4-12
  • 2007 -- 9-7
  • 2008 -- 9-7 (loosing the final 4 of the year)
So...... I might be wrong.
Old 02-15-2013   #60
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
FYI, Dungy was fired from Tampa with a .549 win percentage, and 4 play off appearances. They won one division title. They won twice in the Wild Card rounds, and lost twice in the Wild Card round (2000 & 2001). He was in Tampa from 96-01, 6 years.

He was followed by Jon Gruden who was the Bucs coach from 2002-2008, 7 years, .513 win percentage, three division titles, one conference Championship, one Super Bowl.
  • 2002 -- 12-4
  • 2003 -- 7-9
  • 2004 --5-11
  • 2005 -- 11-5
  • 2006 -- 4-12
  • 2007 -- 9-7
  • 2008 -- 9-7 (loosing the final 4 of the year)
So...... I might be wrong.
Gruden's tenure w/ TB is a perfect example of just how lucky Kubiak has been to work for Uncle Bob.

Here's another former HC's records for one team before he was ultimately fired:
13-3
9-7
11-5
1-7
Any guesses on who led his team to these records before being dismissed? Try Wade Phillips in Arlington for the answer. Just another example of a HC who failed to meet the expectations but has obviously outperformed Kubiak as a HC. Wade is a constant reminder to Kubiak on just how lucky he has been because I believe had he been in any other town w/ any other owner kubiak would most definitely would've already been an OC as opposed to being a HC. Others have been fired despite accomplishing more. No doubting that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read