Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-13-2013   #21
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Lead NFL.......in RUNS on 3rd And Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Actually, the two runs scored to Schaub were kneel downs to end the game; one scramble was on Yates avoiding pressure.

Two more times, the Texans were working the clock.

And 8 times, they were inside their own 10, mostly deep.
LOL! So the predictable play calling on 3rd & long that is often laughed at or criticised is skewed & stems from a few kneel downs & working the clock. Okkkkk.... I think not, but as I said earlier there are some who refuse to acknowledge the obvious which is the truth. You can lead the horse to water, but can't make them drink. Lead them to Battle Red koolaid & it will disappear.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
I'm noticing something on 3rd and long:

Teams are blitzing the hell out of Schaub, making him check down. If it was 3rd and 8, NE (example; in the playoff game) released the hounds on him. Obviously, I need to go back and watch some more games and see more. That said, it's not all the blitz,; Schaub stopped stepping into throws in the 2nd half of the season. He faded away, if you will, on these throws. Led to underthrows, etc.
The reason he stopped stepping into his throws had to do withhis foot injury.

What's that crap about Moon in your sig. I wouldn't ever apologize to that wife beater, who despite having the most talented team in the NFL never even made it to an AFC championship and was one of the major contributors to Houston losing my beloved Oilers. He did lead his team to the most embarassing loss in NFL history, that says something.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
LOL! So the predictable play calling on 3rd & long that is often laughed at or criticised is skewed & stems from a few kneel downs & working the clock. Okkkkk.... I think not, but as I said earlier there are some who refuse to acknowledge the obvious which is the truth. You can lead the horse to water, but can't make them drink. Lead them to Battle Red koolaid & it will disappear.
There's nothing about truth that needs to be discussed here, just facts.

First, you have to be able to separate facts into several categories where they belong before you can make some sense out of those different categories of facts.

Only after that can you stand a chance to get to the truth.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What it really boils down to is that we expected a drop off from Winston to Newton, and then Newton got injured.

We expected a drop off from Brisiel to Caldwell and then Caldwell got injured.
When you have 3 guys playing one position (RG) in the same season, two of the survivors are rookies who can't beat out a previously back-up (yet).

You have a Wade Smith who played more injured than at any time in his career.

You have Myers and Brown both having not as good a year as last.

You pretty much got whipped across the board, how do you expect a lot of good out of third and long (or any situation really) is just daydreaming.

That is the truth, besides the fact that Schaub didn't play well and that the D sucked and the ST sucked.
Old 02-13-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
What it really boils down to is that we expected a drop off from Winston to Newton, and then Newton got injured.

When you have 3 guys playing one position (RG) in the same season, two of the survivors are rookies who can't beat out a previously back-up (yet).

You pretty much got whipped across the board, how do you expect a lot of good out of third and long (or any situation really) is just daydreaming.

That is the truth, besides the fact that Schaub didn't play well and that the D sucked and the ST sucked.
Don't worry '76, when it all starts to click next season, they'll be back. Some won't be back until we clinch the #1 seed, which most likely won't happen next season, some won't be back until we win the AFC Championship game, some won't be back until we win the Super Bowl.

But they'll be back.
Old 02-13-2013   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And the fact that they had to face 8-9 men in the box constantly because there wasn't a deep threat opposite AJ. Atleast JJ for all of his suckitude time here provided that.

God how I hope they dont draft another WR from the slow/lacking in WR/DB talent Big 10. Draft somebody from a passing confrence like the Big 12/Pac 10. If you want a better faster version of JJ they should draft Marquise Goodwin in the 3rd rd. He's going to light up the combine.
Old 02-13-2013   #27
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

Just another testament to how much of an offensive guru kubiak is.

I still smdh when i think about the days everyone was calling kubiak an offensive guru.

Sad stuff.

We also probably lead the league or close to the top of 2nd and long running plays.

Those who called Kubiak an offensive guru, yall should slap yourselves in the face.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if Kubiak is a guru & we ran it on 3rd & long an inordinate number of times (which I know we did) then you'd have to think there was a reason. I'd like to know what that reason was, but most speculate that Kubiak is too conservative, or restricts Matt, or that Matt is shell-shocked.... & I just find those reasons hard to believe.

I don't believe that is the future of our offense. Hopefully, it is a thing of the past.
Old 02-13-2013   #29
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

i really wish somebody would put up how often the texans ran on 2nd and long.

That is the real problem. When people ask why the texans are always in 3rd and long situations, its because they always run on 2nd and long situations and it always fails to pick yards hence we are always on 3rd and long situations with captain check down matt cotton sloth.

check the 2nd and long running play stats.

that's one of the main problems.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #30
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We've had a thread where we discussed the Texans "Three and Out Percentages." Now we can look at......

Is it Kubiak's "unwillingness" to pass on 3rd and long due to his own insecurity in taking chances in general........or is it a function of recognizing his QB's limitations?

This piece I present below is from 2009 ADVANCEDNFLSTATS.COM can add some comparative perspective to the 3rd and long subject. I would also have to keep in mind that in just the last couple of years, I believe that we have seen a distinct trending of most teams to lean more to the passing game than in the past.

Run-Pass Imbalance on 2nd and 3rd Downs

Yes........

AND No!

To be honest, I didn't read the link. That said is there a chance (and you attorneys out there - you know who you are, might appreciate this) that it might be quite the opposite knowing these things:

A) The Texans are well aware of the league tendancies on 3rd and long
B) The Texans know that the league is well aware of league tendancies, and finally
C) The Texans have, if not the best RB in the league, one of the top 3 running backs in the league with Arian Foster.

IMO, the FAIL comes with Kubiak relying on the right side of the line which didn't always allow Arian Foster to do Arian Foster "things".
Old 02-13-2013   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well if Kubiak is a guru & we ran it on 3rd & long an inordinate number of times (which I know we did) then you'd have to think there was a reason. I'd like to know what that reason was, but most speculate that Kubiak is too conservative, or restricts Matt, or that Matt is shell-shocked.... & I just find those reasons hard to believe.

I don't believe that is the future of our offense. Hopefully, it is a thing of the past.
Or maybe just maybe

Wait for it

Wait for it

Matt was playing with a bum foot
Old 02-13-2013   #32
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
i really wish somebody would put up how often the texans ran on 2nd and long.

That is the real problem. When people ask why the texans are always in 3rd and long situations, its because they always run on 2nd and long situations and it always fails to pick yards hence we are always on 3rd and long situations with captain check down matt cotton sloth.

check the 2nd and long running play stats.

that's one of the main problems.
Arian Foster ....any stat imaginable

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...7/arian-foster

Justin Forsett
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...justin-forsett

Ben Tate
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...13210/ben-tate

I wish there was a generic stat sheet but haven't found one yet
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be curious as to the teams that the Texans played what their 'split' was on going for a pass on 3rd and long versus their season average, given JJ Watt et al as a consideration.

Seriously, that would be interesting to me at least.

+ sacks

= Baller!
Old 02-13-2013   #34
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'd be curious as to the teams that the Texans played what their 'split' was on going for a pass on 3rd and long versus their season average, given JJ Watt et al as a consideration.

Seriously, that would be interesting to me at least.

+ sacks

= Baller!
Here is Watts

1st down 11 sacks 1stf 7pd 2 ff
2nd down 3.5 sack 8stf 4pd 2 ff
3rd down 5 sacks 5 pd
4th down 1sack
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/13979/jj-watt
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Matt was playing with a bum foot
I believe the dead arm thing more than the bum foot. I just didn't see it & I've watched the last games several times, at least once, paying special attention to his feet.
Old 02-13-2013   #36
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

23 out of 101? seems low.. what would the number be if they counted screens too...

Last edited by Premier; 02-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I believe the dead arm thing more than the bum foot. I just didn't see it & I've watched the last games several times, at least once, paying special attention to his feet.
So you must have noticed that Matt wasn't stepping into his throws? Could that have had anything to do with his foot being hurt?

Or did somebody stick a rock in his sock every week?

After 10 yrs in the NFL Matt suddenly started having problems with his footwork. Do you think that could've been because he had one of the most debilitating injuries a football player regardless of position could possibly have?

Or maybe as you say Matts arm just cant hold up for a complete season. Either way the Texans need to find his heir apparent in the worst way. I mean Brees/Rodgers/Stafford etc....anyone with 2 healthy feet, even Peytons arms didn't fall off and they threw the ball considerably more than Matt did last yr.
Old 02-13-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

It's kinda of funny.

So what if the Texans tendency is to run on third and long?

Y'all got to remember that the tendency of many other teams is to pass, and much more heavy at that.
If there's something predictable, well you can count on that.

It makes more sense to say that the Texans buck the trend, that they do things other teams don't do; they were more unpredictable than the rest.
Old 02-13-2013   #39
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Here is Watts

1st down 11 sacks 1stf 7pd 2 ff
2nd down 3.5 sack 8stf 4pd 2 ff
3rd down 5 sacks 5 pd
4th down 1sack
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/13979/jj-watt
While that's money my brother, my quest of a question was this:

How much different did the Texans opponents stray from their own tendancies versus the Texans defense compared to the NFL's stastiscal tendancies?

*EDIT*

I would suspect that their tendancies were slightly lower than their season average.

Of course I could be completely wrong, but again, it's completely interesting to me.
Old 02-13-2013   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
So you must have noticed that Matt wasn't stepping into his throws? Could that have had anything to do with his foot being hurt?

Or did somebody stick a rock in his sock every week?

After 10 yrs in the NFL Matt suddenly started having problems with his footwork. Do you think that could've been because he had one of the most debilitating injuries a football player regardless of position could possibly have?

Or maybe as you say Matts arm just cant hold up for a complete season. Either way the Texans need to find his heir apparent in the worst way. I mean Brees/Rodgers/Stafford etc....anyone with 2 healthy feet, even Peytons arms didn't fall off and they threw the ball considerably more than Matt did last yr.
I mean I saw no evidence or any foot injury. He had no problem planting his feet, he stepped into his throws, he pushed off both feet equally well. If there was an issue with is foot, he didn't act like it.

I also did not see any evidence of a dead arm, but I'd believe it more because the evidence is more subjective.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read