Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-13-2013   #81
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Harvin to Houston a Possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Hook'em done said NO!
I don't have a problem with anyone merging the thread. BTW, I only pay the bills here. I am not a mod. I like to let them do their job and stay out of the way.

I just voiced my opinion that I thought discussing the pros/cons of Harvin being a Texan was ok in the Texans section.

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #82
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Can you imagine how difficult hed make it on himself by being traded and then holding out?

He has to be smarter than that....right? Seems like he'd have more to lose in that situation than gain...
I don't know what half these guys are thinking, but I'm sure if Houston was interested & initiated talks with Minnesota, they'd be given access to Harvin's agent to find out.

But, chances are he'll want a big contract (don't know how big) & that becomes an issue with our cap situation.
Old 02-13-2013   #83
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know what half these guys are thinking, but I'm sure if Houston was interested & initiated talks with Minnesota, they'd be given access to Harvin's agent to find out.

But, chances are he'll want a big contract (don't know how big) & that becomes an issue with our cap situation.
I'm not a cap expert, but wouldn't that be a next off season problem?

Even if you extend him, that big cap hit wouldn't come until next season right?

If that is correct, there are other things that can be done between that time to make sure he fits under the cap...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #84
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not a cap expert, but wouldn't that be a next off season problem?

Even if you extend him, that big cap hit wouldn't come until next season right?

If that is correct, there are other things that can be done between that time to make sure he fits under the cap...
Depends on the deal. Harvin wants to get paid now. If we extend him, it will be with a bonus. Depending on the amount of the bonus, the length of his contract, & his 2013 salary his cap hit for 2013 can be $10M

If he's looking for $5M-$8M/yr, I think it would be possible to structure it so that he has a $3M-$5M 2013 cap hit & even that will be a chore for the Texans to get under the cap.
Old 02-13-2013   #85
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I just voiced my opinion that I thought discussing the pros/cons of Harvin being a Texan was ok in the Texans section.

These guys know the rules regarding where to put threads. News about Texan players go into the Texans forum. News about other NFL players go into the NFL. forum. We would have 50 threads about every NFL free agent (or in this case a trade rumor), if we opened up that door.

If it were a piece from a legitimate news source that mentioned the Texans interest, then that would be Texans news. But, this is just a blog from a fan site. He will probably have a piece on Mike Wallace and how he fits with the Texans next week. Rank speculation.

The team that trades for Harvin will need to sign him to a long term deal. Or face the problems the Vikings have had with Harvin's attitude. The Texans are not in a cap position to make a deal like that. So that is how Harvin fits. He doesn't fit.
Old 02-13-2013   #86
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Lucky's right...on all accounts. Thread really belongs in the NFL section and no way we are gonna see Harvin here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #87
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin Could Be Traded

Harvin could be a double asset meaning HOU needs a another impact WR and possibly keeping that asset away from a AFC rival as in NE. A lot of talk about NE going after Harvin so HOU needs to help themself while hurting NE IMO.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #88
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is it that the Pats seem to always have cap room to make moves like Harvin and the Texans are always so cap strapped?

Do Rick/Olsen have a clue about the cap?

Last edited by steelbtexan; 02-13-2013 at 06:33 PM.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Why is it that the Pats seem to aleays have cap room to make moves like Harvin and the Texans are always so cap strapped?

I still think they took a chance & gambled that the cap was going to go up last season. They were wrong & had to make some tough choices. They's still paying for that gamble.

It's kinda funny when people say we don't take chances, when the fact is most of the ones we do backfire in our faces.
Old 02-13-2013   #90
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I still think they took a chance & gambled that the cap was going to go up last season. They were wrong & had to make some tough choices. They's still paying for that gamble.

It's kinda funny when people say we don't take chances, when the fact is most of the ones we do backfire in our faces.
Backfiring in their face means they've got the wrong people calling the shots.

I'm looking at you Smoothe Ricky
Old 02-13-2013   #91
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why is it that the Pats seem to aleays have cap room to make moves like Harvin and the Texans are always so cap strapped?
They have a very smart and strategically-oriented front office. They don't get caught having paid huge contracts in advance of proven performance that restrict them. The have a "get it done" attitude and take intelligent, measured risks with low downside. They have conviction that they can take a talented player that has had some controversy and inspire him to want to win.

Closer to home, we hear "they can't", "they won't", and "they don't".....as in sign a player like Harvin. If we don't even show an interest in him, I hope signs on with an AFC team.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I don't understand why New England wouldn't just keep Welker, he's shown that he can & will do what ever they ask & he just keeps getting better.
Old 02-13-2013   #93
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is it about Harvin that makes you think he is capable of either stretching the field, or threaten a defense on the outside?

Don't get me wrong, I think Harvin is a dynamic player & I'd love to see him in a Texans uni next year, but if you think this offense needs a deep threat or a major weapon on the edge, Harvin is not that guy.
AJ is still a viable deep threat and I think Harvin still have the speed and elusiveness to be effective outside, but I think he'd be better suited being moved around creating mismatch opportunities and breaking short crossing passes into something much bigger. While Martin is shifty enough in the slot I still am not sure he has the ability to break away from defenders the way Harvin can.

At any rate this offense could use ANYONE more dynamic at WR.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #94
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't understand why New England wouldn't just keep Welker, he's shown that he can & will do what ever they ask & he just keeps getting better.
Umm, I'm going to guess Harvin and Welker want about the same $$$$ and BB thinks Harvin is better. They've come close with to winning a SB with a Brady to Welker combo. They think Brady to Harvin is better and will be enough to win a SB. Will it happen, who knows? But I like that the Pats are willing to take chances. Unlike my favorite team.
Old 02-13-2013   #95
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
They have a very smart and strategically-oriented front office. They don't get caught having paid huge contracts in advance of proven performance that restrict them. The have a "get it done" attitude and take intelligent, measured risks with low downside. They have conviction that they can take a talented player that has had some controversy and inspire him to want to win.

Closer to home, we hear "they can't", "they won't", and "they don't".....as in sign a player like Harvin. If we don't even show an interest in him, I hope signs on with an AFC team.
That's one way to put it. LOL

Good answer
Old 02-13-2013   #96
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...zgerald-money/

Dude supposedly wants top 3 WR money, so yeah good luck with that.
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #97
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25616 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good stats and production aside, I still remember the Super Bowl against the Giants on what would have likely been a game-winning, first down catch that he just dropped. I'd rather have Percy Harvin instead of Wes Welker right now despite what the numbers say. The only numbers that matter to me are 31 years old versus 24 years old. I want a guy who will be around a longer time.
Old 02-13-2013   #98
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why is it that the Pats seem to always have cap room to make moves like Harvin and the Texans are always so cap strapped?

The Patriots aren't paying a WR the kind of $$$ that Andre Johnson gets. They're not paying a RB what Arian Foster gets. Or a CB or Safety what Joseph and Manning get. Yeah, they're paying a QB franchise type money. So are the Texans.

I'm not defending the Texans management. Just pointing out that the Texans have more players making big bucks, which is why the Pats have more cap flexibility.
Old 02-13-2013   #99
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Patriots aren't paying a WR the kind of $$$ that Andre Johnson gets. They're not paying a RB what Arian Foster gets. Or a CB or Safety what Joseph and Manning get. Yeah, they're paying a QB franchise type money. So are the Texans.

I'm not defending the Texans management. Just pointing out that the Texans have more players making big bucks, which is why the Pats have more cap flexibility.
Schaub played 18 games in 2012. Andre played 18 games in 2012.

As you noted above, the Texans are paying franchise QB type money to Schaub, and big dollars to Andre, both of whom are Pro Bowlers.

Net result for this investment: 4 TDs.

I have nothing bad to say about Andre Johnson. But what kind of offensive coaching wastes this kind of money?
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
The only numbers that matter to me are 31 years old versus 24 years old. I want a guy who will be around a longer time.
It's not likely that either receiver will play for the Patriots 10 years from now. They'll probably sign him for 5-6 years, but the next 3 is all that really matters. If he doesn't perform over the next 3, chances he'll be cut before the final two.

So the only years that matter, are the next three.

Welker may very well have peaked. Harvin may peak in the next three.

I'm not saying there is a clear cut right choice, but I don't thin their ages make it a no brainer.

Another thing, the way the Randy Moss experiment ended, & the Ocho Cinco debacle, I'm not so sure the Patriots would be interested.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read