Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Cost Of James Casey*UPDATE*Signed by Eagles

Quote:
The market is incredibly tame for fullbacks. Only four have an average salary of over $1 million, while the fifth-highest paid sits below $650,000 per year. This salary range is further cemented when you consider Danny Woodhead and Julian Edelman. Both Patriots are similar players to Casey and reasons why the Texans should not let Casey hit the market and be wooed by Bill Belichick.
A good write up on J.Casey as a FA.

Last edited by srrono; 02-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The Cost Of James Casey

Quote:
The market is incredibly tame for fullbacks. Only four have an average salary of over $1 million, while the fifth-highest paid sits below $650,000 per year. This salary range is further cemented when you consider Danny Woodhead and Julian Edelman. Both Patriots are similar players to Casey and reasons why the Texans should not let Casey hit the market and be wooed by Bill Belichick.
A good write up on J.Casey as a FA.
Old 02-08-2013   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like James Casey but honestly I'd like a real Vonta like FB in the game on short yardage or goal line situations. I like the way he's used out of the backfield in the passing game but he just isn't used enough to justify a roster spot. I also don't think that Casey ever took near enough heat for dropping that TD pass in the first drive of our playoff game against New England. That pass from Schaub was perfect and hit Casey right in the hands at the 4 yd. line when he had his man beat and was an easy TD. Imagine how the momentum and flow of the game would have changed if we had scored a TD there. I like the guy just not sure if there's room on the roster for a #2FB, provided we get a real FB, or #4TE, hoping that we take Michael Williams-TE in the 5th round of the draft.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #4
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like James Casey but honestly I'd like a real Vonta like FB in the game on short yardage or goal line situations. I like the way he's used out of the backfield in the passing game but he just isn't used enough to justify a roster spot. I also don't think that Casey ever took near enough heat for dropping that TD pass in the first drive of our playoff game against New England. That pass from Schaub was perfect and hit Casey right in the hands at the 4 yd. line when he had his man beat and was an easy TD. Imagine how the momentum and flow of the game would have changed if we had scored a TD there. I like the guy just not sure if there's room on the roster for a #2FB, provided we get a real FB, or #4TE, hoping that we take Michael Williams-TE in the 5th round of the draft.
Kyle Juszczyk FB Harvard Sr 6-1 248 was a stndout at Senior Bowl week he is projected from a 6th rounder to a UFA in the draft I am hoping HOU grabs him. Juszczyk was stoning guys over and over on NFL Network broadcast of Senior Bowl practices.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I like James Casey but honestly I'd like a real Vonta like FB in the game on short yardage or goal line situations.
The Texans had one on their roster this year and didn't use him (Clutts).

Quote:
I also don't think that Casey ever took near enough heat for dropping that TD pass in the first drive of our playoff game against New England.
Fans often define a bit player's career on one mistake. Casey has done enough to wipe that mistake out a dozen times over, but people will hammer that play until the end of time. Get over it is the best I can tell you. He has a lower drop percentage than most pass catchers on the team and there were tons of other plays and factors that lost that game for the team.
Old 02-08-2013   #6
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Casey, only wish we would use him more and play to his strengths.
Old 02-08-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I love Casey, only wish we would use him more and play to his strengths.
I'm honestly not seeing him as the play-making mismatch he was touted to be. He gets schemed open, but looks slow when he catches the ball..... slower than OD. He's thick, but not particularly physical when fighting for position or trying to get separation.
Old 02-08-2013   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm honestly not seeing him as the play-making mismatch he was touted to be. He gets schemed open, but looks slow when he catches the ball..... slower than OD. He's thick, but not particularly physical when fighting for position or trying to get separation.
He's not a mismatch in the sense of having Arian at fb, but by fb standards he's a mismatch. He's faster than most true fb's and can run longer routes and make catches further down the field than most fb's can.

That doesn't mean he's going to look like Wes welker or Arian foster when he goes up against lb'ers. It just means that he provides a different dynamic from the position than the traditional fb, and either 1) he's not good enough to get open or 2) we don't do a good enough job of using the skills he has.

I'd go with 2 since I've seen him get open a bunch against lb'ers in covg.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Like Wolf6151 said so well, Casey muffed the biggest reception chance of his life and that's unfortunate for him and the Texans because it was such an important play for both and Casey reportedly has the best hands on the team, but he wasn't clutch when he had to be. Besides if we release him he can probably find a place some place else where he gets more opps. And we could use a real thumper at FB, if only in non-nickle situations.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #10
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Pay him just over the vet minimum. We dont use him to his skill set so why pay him that way? He could be so much more but kubiak doesnt use him correctly. So why compensate him for it?
Old 02-10-2013   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

They didn't want to pay Norris or Leach...both of those guys were better FB's than Casey.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
They didn't want to pay Norris or Leach...both of those guys were better FB's than Casey.
If Casey was used right that wouldn't be the case. If Kubiak is going to continue to under utilize his abilities then we might as well let him go and bring in a pure blocking FB.
Old 02-12-2013   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Fans often define a bit player's career on one mistake. Casey has done enough to wipe that mistake out a dozen times over, but people will hammer that play until the end of time. Get over it is the best I can tell you. He has a lower drop percentage than most pass catchers on the team and there were tons of other plays and factors that lost that game for the team.
Wow, your jumping to the extreme here. I never said anything about defining Casey's career by this one mistake. No one on the team is above taking some heat for a really big mistake in the biggest playoff game in team history, and just because I mention it one time as a topic of discussion doesn't mean I'm "hammering that play until the end of time". Being a little overly dramatic? Also I'm not sure how you think he's "wiped out that mistake a dozen times over" since he's only been in 4 playoff games in his career and has a grand total of 4 total touchdowns in his 4 yr. career, I'm not sure if any of those were in a playoff game. I know there were other factors that caused us to lose that game, I never said Casey was the sole reason. In the future please read my post before you respond to it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Goodbye James.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #15
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess it depends on how other teams vision him. Do they see a tight end instead of a FB? I would like to retain him but really don't want to see him as a FB. He is not a strong lead blocker and you add that to the fact we have two young players on the right (one of which struggled in run blocking) and only one tight end that can block (Graham as O.D. is awful) and it makes life hard on Foster and company. We need a real lead blocker and Kubiak and company need to find a better way of utilizing Casey if retained.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #16
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first year all teams must spend a certain percentage of salary cap so free agency this year is going to be a little different.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Really?!?
What??
I can't think of a single game last season where he stood out.
...well, except for the playoff game where he played butter fingers with a perfectly thrown ball.

I'm probably the only one who'll admit to this but If he stays, meh
and if he goes, maybe we'll get someone who can catch.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Wow, your jumping to the extreme here. I never said anything about defining Casey's career by this one mistake.
That's why I didn't say "wolf6151 defines Casey's career by this one mistake". I said fans do, as in a general observation. I can bring up former players and inevitably the first thing some fans will remember is some mistake that player made. Hell, try having an objective conversation about Jabar Gaffney, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Really?!?
What??
I can't think of a single game last season where he stood out.
I can't think of a single game where Wade Smith stood out either, but he was named to the Pro Bowl. The Texans rarely ask Casey to do something that "stands out". When he makes a ten yard reception, are you cataloging that in your head as a standout play? When he puts on a good block at the goal line for Arian Foster (just one play I remember), do you catalog that in your head as a standout play?

Whatever people think Casey might be capable of, the coaching staff asks him to do a specific job, and he's done it well enough to where we don't hear his name. That's a good thing for his position. Now, if he were actually a TE and playing that position, maybe your argument would make sense. But he isn't.

And just for reference, people didn't "notice" Leach until the TV announcers started talking about him. I'm not comparing Casey to Leach, but I am comparing the glamor status of the position. You have to be completely outstanding to garner any attention from the FB position.

None of this has any bearing on whether or not the team should keep him, however.
Old 02-12-2013   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Patriots would target him. They're using Woodhead in that role already.

I think the Pats will go after Percy Harvin and let Welker walk.

Anybody here think the idea of Tom Brady throwing to Percy Harvin is just unfair to the rest of the NFL on many levels? Yeah, me too!

For as good and reliable as Welker is, Harvin is an upgrade.
Old 02-12-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

For as good and reliable as Welker is, Harvin is an upgrade.
That's really funny.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read