Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-11-2013   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OG Brisiel rumored as a cut candidate,HOU interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Briesel isn't going to get paid 10million a year.
Point is that Briesel is done. Because the Oakland docs let him play when they shouldn't have.

What gets me is people having problems with BoB paying Harvin. They act like it's their $$$$. Deals like the on Harvin wants gets done every yr. In fact it seems like one of the teams the Texans are paying are willing to trade for Harvin and pay him. (Pats)

That mentality is why the Pats are ahead and will stay ahead of the Texans.

BTW, I wouldn't sign Harvin due to his injury problems.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
It's the classic "bash the ex-Texan" silliness imo. I haven't seen too many complaints concerning Winston's play this past season & as you stated Charles was playing very well running behind him.
What did you think of Newton/Harris & Jones/Brooks?

85 yards & 10 TDs that's the what separates Charles & Foster this season. Charles ran for 85 more yards & Arian had 10 more TDs.

Just to illustrate there can be "issues" on the OL & still have a badass running the ball.

BTW, I don't think there is a problem with Winston's play side run blocking. I even think that is easiest for young players to pick up. There's not a whole lot of difference between the ZBS & a power scheme on the play side of a stretch play.

I don't think Winston was the most willing cut blocker. I feel his play on the backside improved 10 fold since his rookie year, but I felt he is a reluctant cut blocker, he'll do it if he got beat, but it was always, imo, a day late & a dollar short.

But my biggest criticism of Winston was his pass blocking. I thought Butler was easily better & a rookie couldn't be much worse.
Old 02-11-2013   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Tempting, but I think Ben Jones & Brandon Brooks will do just fine next year.
Jones and Brooks were abyssmal for the most part last season , Caldwell was even worse.

I was high on Jones early in the year but .... its obvious that both RT and RG were belo0w average run blocking and Newton was pathetic in the screen game (Jones was solid there).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What gets me is people having problems with BoB paying Harvin. They act like it's their $$$$. Deals like the on Harvin wants gets done every yr. In fact it seems like one of the teams the Texans are paying are willing to trade for Harvin and pay him. (Pats)
I'm just speaking for myself. If it were just the money I'd have an issue paying Harvin $10M/yr. I wouldn't have a problem giving him $10M guaranteed over 3 years. I wouldn't have a problem giving him $15M guaranteed over 3 years.

But I don't want to pay him $10M/yr. Not my money. But my team can only give out so many of those $10M/yr contracts. We have to use them wisely.

Then when you throw in a 2nd & a 4th... again, we have to use them wisely. I wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd & he plays out his contract. He can cash out now, to the tune of $15M guaranteed over three years, but any more than that..... I'm not interested. So if we end up trading for a player who will sit out.... pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
That mentality is why the Pats are ahead and will stay ahead of the Texans.

BTW, I wouldn't sign Harvin due to his injury problems.
If the Patriots aren't going to pay Welker $10M/yr, they aren't going to pay Harvin $10M/yr. But the Patriots are bonafide contenders. He'll probably play the remainder of his contract with them & not threaten to sit out, where he would with us.

By-the-by, the Patriots let Ocho Cinco sit on the bench for an entire season, Another luxury, I don't think we would have had. We aren't the Patriots.
Old 02-11-2013   #25
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Outside of a zone here Brisiel wasn't likely to be effective. He struggled the first couple of years here but got better as the unit as a whole gelled. The scheme covered up a lot of weaknesses in his game.

I wouldn't be opposed, if he's healthy, bringing him back cheap and in to compete for a guard position. I think Jones could be like Mike in terms of a guy that struggles at first then grows into the scheme. Brooks has the tools to be a monster at G and I hope to see his reps this off-season increase.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #26
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 02-12-2013   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Injury waiting to happen. Can't bring him back because of some nostalgia factor.

I agree with GoldenSilence in terms of Ben Jones. He would have one play where he owned his assignment, then a play where he fell down. I think he's got the tools to grow and become more consistent on the OL.

I think Newton gets there, too. Both those guys look like keepers, IMO.

Give them both an off-season to catch their breath (they were thrown onto the OL and had to keep chugging all season long). Camp, preseason reps, and the knowledge that they endured a tough season a year ago....I think they'll do well.

I can't foresee us bringing Brisiel back unless it's a vet minimum and he understands he's just depth with an outside shot of being the main G if things go south with Ben. No way do you bring him back with ideas that he's the starter right out of the gate. Ben Jones needs those reps.
Old 02-24-2013   #28
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
If OAK cuts him with the off year maybe he doesnt get that big money offer so HOU could get him back here at a reasonable rate 1 or 2 year deal. Then again JAGs could grab him with them going to ZBS this year. I would like to see HOU cut G Wade Smith then bring back Brisiel and let Jones and Brooks compete to start at other G spot.
Just a thought. Wouldn't it be funny if both Briesel and Winston are both cut (Briesel due to health/system, Winston due to salary/system/Draft Joekel/resign Albert? And both resign with the Texans for 1 year vets min deal to try for a SB. Depth chart and competition would be insane. Brown/Smith/Myers/Briesel/Winston. Swing Newton, C/RG Jones, LG Brooks as back ups. Also I the Brooks is a better fit on the left side as future replacement for Smith.
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT22 View Post
Just a thought. Wouldn't it be funny if both Briesel and Winston are both cut (Briesel due to health/system, Winston due to salary/system/Draft Joekel/resign Albert? And both resign with the Texans for 1 year vets min deal to try for a SB. Depth chart and competition would be insane. Brown/Smith/Myers/Briesel/Winston. Swing Newton, C/RG Jones, LG Brooks as back ups. Also I the Brooks is a better fit on the left side as future replacement for Smith.
At this point, even though I'm thinking we're better without them, who the hell knows!

What if they did come back, and what if they found a way to platoon the position and we found our groove again?

Stranger things have happened. Sometimes familiar faces help stabilize things. I do wonder if a bit of our offense's mojo was zapped by the loss of Dreessen, Winston, Brisiel, and Ward. Not saying those guys are independently awesome...but collectively they provided a stable and consistent work ethic and reliability that wasn't replaced by Ben Jones, Derrick Newton, Forsett, and Graham.

If we're unable to land quality FA's due to cap...why not vet minimum for Winston and Brisiel? Anybody know what their vet minimum cap hit would be????
Old 02-24-2013   #30
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Winston is making 4.9 million this season and I doubt he would get cut and the chiefs take a 7million dollar cap hit

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-ci.../eric-winston/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #31
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I believe Winston is making 4.9 million this season and I doubt he would get cut and the chiefs take a 7million dollar cap hit

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-ci.../eric-winston/
From the link you provided, Winston's contract would produce $6.3 million in dead money if cut. His 2013 cap hit is $7 million, so the Chiefs would actually save 700k by cutting Winston. I don't think they will do that by any means. And if the Chiefs re-sign Brandon Albert, I doubt they take a OT in the first round (though many are mocking Luke Joeckel to KC).
Old 03-04-2013   #32
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraider...-restructured/

Quote:
The Raiders are approximately $1.5 million under the salary cap as of now. They got there, in large part, because right guard Mike Brisiel agreed to a restructured contract.
Brisiel’s base salary for 2013 dropped from $4.35 million to $1.35 million as part of the new deal. Brisiel signed with the Raiders last offseason.
He is slated to earn $3.85 million in base salary in 2014, ‘15 and ‘16. There’s still work to do for general manager Reggie McKenzie between now and the start of free agency, which begins Mar. 12.
However, getting Brisiel on board with a cap-friendly deal for 2013 is a nice start. Now McKenzie can go after other sizable contracts such as those of quarterback Carson Palmer, wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and defensive tackle Tommy Kelly in an attempt to free up more cap room.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read