Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-11-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans have 5th easiest schedule next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Why do you feel this way? The only notable free agent that could possibly leave Houston is Connor Barwin, and he only had three sacks last year. Houston will have a healthy Brian Cushing, a more experienced O-line (Jones and Brooks) and a boatload of rookies coming in (I believe the Texans have 11 draft picks). Outside of injuries, I don't see many reasons for the Texans to regress next year.
You do not consider Casey and Quin notable FAs that could leave? I think they are regardless if replaced in draft.
Old 02-11-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
We are in a different thread now- I asked him, not you, what leads him to the conclusion that Baltimore will be sub .500?

If you wat a fight, its not here. I like to discuss.
This thread is about SOS. He doesn't think the Ravens are going to be over .500 because they have a tough SOS. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
In 2010 I said the Texans were not going to do as well as 2009 due to SOS. The majority of this MB said SOS doesn't matter.

So does SOS matter now?
I'm sure it still doesn't matter to some people. But everyone just knew our defense was going to look worse than our 2011 defense mainly because of the offenses we played in 2012 compared to the offenses we played in 2011.

Personally, I look at SOS & how a team did vs that SOS to gauge how good that team really was. Was the 2012 Giants a much worse team than the 2011 Giants? They finished 9-7 to win their division in 2011 (I think) then went on a run to the Super Bowl. 2012, they finished 9-7 against a tougher schedule. 2012 .547 (toughest in the league) vs 2011 .492 (19th in the league).

Baltimore had a .523 schedule in 2012 & they finished 10-6, which I think is more impressive than the Texans 12-4 vs a .473 schedule in 2012.

Denver finished with the #1 seed in the AFC at 13-3 against an even tougher schedule than the Ravens .543...... very impressive.

Of course, we have to look at their 2012 final SoS to put it in perspective. This is kind of a catch 22 because their final SoS is affected by that team winning or losing to it's opponent.

So in hindsight, the Atlanta Falcons had the easiest schedule, .422 followed by the Bengals, Colts, Broncos, & Chargers. The Ravens played against a .496 SoS, just like the Texans.

Six teams finished over .500 playing a .500+ schedule. All but the Bears & the Giants were in the play offs. 49ers, Seahawks, Packers, Bears, Vikings, & Giants. So those are some damn good teams. The Cowboys finished 8-8 vs a .500+ schedule, so don't count them out of the mix in 2013. The Rams, Saints, Panthers, Bucs, & Dolphins finished 7-9 against .500+ competition, so we should keep an eye on them as well.

The truly worst team in the NFL of 2012, imo, was the Oakland Raiders finishing with only 4 wins against a .469 schedule followed by the Buffalo Bills, 6-10 @ .480. Well, the Raiders did sweep the Chiefs, so I gotta think about that one some more.
Old 02-11-2013   #23
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This thread is about SOS. He doesn't think the Ravens are going to be over .500 because they have a tough SOS. It's not rocket science.
Free Agency, draft, retirement, ie., roster changes, coaching changes- none of that figures in? SoS is the only determining factor for success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm sure it still doesn't matter to some people. But everyone just knew our defense was going to look worse than our 2011 defense mainly because of the offenses we played in 2012 compared to the offenses we played in 2011.

Personally, I look at SOS & how a team did vs that SOS to gauge how good that team really was. Was the 2012 Giants a much worse team than the 2011 Giants? They finished 9-7 to win their division in 2011 (I think) then went on a run to the Super Bowl. 2012, they finished 9-7 against a tougher schedule. 2012 .547 (toughest in the league) vs 2011 .492 (19th in the league).

Baltimore had a .523 schedule in 2012 & they finished 10-6, which I think is more impressive than the Texans 12-4 vs a .473 schedule in 2012.

Denver finished with the #1 seed in the AFC at 13-3 against an even tougher schedule than the Ravens .543...... very impressive.

Of course, we have to look at their 2012 final SoS to put it in perspective. This is kind of a catch 22 because their final SoS is affected by that team winning or losing to it's opponent.

So in hindsight, the Atlanta Falcons had the easiest schedule, .422 followed by the Bengals, Colts, Broncos, & Chargers. The Ravens played against a .496 SoS, just like the Texans.

Six teams finished over .500 playing a .500+ schedule. All but the Bears & the Giants were in the play offs. 49ers, Seahawks, Packers, Bears, Vikings, & Giants. So those are some damn good teams. The Cowboys finished 8-8 vs a .500+ schedule, so don't count them out of the mix in 2013. The Rams, Saints, Panthers, Bucs, & Dolphins finished 7-9 against .500+ competition, so we should keep an eye on them as well.

The truly worst team in the NFL of 2012, imo, was the Oakland Raiders finishing with only 4 wins against a .469 schedule followed by the Buffalo Bills, 6-10 @ .480. Well, the Raiders did sweep the Chiefs, so I gotta think about that one some more.
6 of the 12 Playoff teams played a SoS (determined prior to the Start of the 2012 season) of .500 or better

6 of the 12 Playoff teams played a SoS (determined prior to the Start of te 2012 season) of .499 or less

I glad you included the Fnal SoS in your post- it shows the results after the season ends but I, for one, am unsure how SoS figures into a tams success.

About 2 years ago, I did an informal stufy of SoS; the one continuous was that NE played a sub .500 schedule almost every year. Further study showed not only was the AFC East perennially weak, but that they seemed to catch the other Divisions in cyclical 'down' peroids.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Free Agency, draft, retirement, ie., roster changes, coaching changes- none of that figures in? SoS is the only determining factor for success?
IMO, I didn't say the Ravens won't be .500, it's all inclusive. When looking at SoS, I'm not only judging the guys on the field, I'm looking at it from an organizational standpoint. The Patriots are going to do well regardless of their schedule, regardless of how they do in the draft (I think they've been struggling here lately) & but will probably do well in FA.

The Cardinals.... couldn't care less what they do in FA, the draft, or whatever. They'll probably suck. The Lions... the Lions (& the Texans) are one of the teams where I think it will make a difference.

Quote:
6 of the 12 Playoff teams played a SoS (determined prior to the Start of the 2012 season) of .500 or better

6 of the 12 Playoff teams played a SoS (determined prior to the Start of te 2012 season) of .499 or less
& the team that won the whole thing had the hardest schedule of them all.
Old 02-11-2013   #25
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You do not consider Casey and Quin notable FAs that could leave? I think they are regardless if replaced in draft.
Quin? Yes, but I think he will be the main priority this off-season. I don't think he'll leave. Casey isn't really notable. The Texans could really benefit from having a bruiser at the FB position. If they get a FB more like Vonta Leach than Casey the running game could really benefit.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #26
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really pay too much attention to SOS. Teams change. Through the draft, free agency, etc, a mediocre team last season could be elite. Just compare the Texans now to 2 years ago. A couple years ago, we'd be ecstatic if we just made the playoffs. Now it's Super Bowl or bust.

My point is the SOS should never be an excuse for anything. Just win games. That's the most important thing.
Old 02-13-2013   #27
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

With the parity,I don't really look at SOS anymore. It doesn't mean much.
A team plays 10 games are are the same as your division mates

Do your business within your division and get tickets to the dance and go from there

Or maybe a better motto every week 1-0
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
With the parity,I don't really look at SOS anymore. It doesn't mean much.
A team plays 10 games are are the same as your division mates

Do your business within your division and get tickets to the dance and go from there

Or maybe a better motto every week 1-0
SOS is so overrated!! As has been mentioned, there are so many variables between the end of one season and the beginning of the next (and even during the course of the next season). That is of course we're talking about SOS meaning "same old shyte". Same old shyte with ridiculous off season fodder.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read