Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-10-2013   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin Could Be Traded

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Any team dealing for Harvin will have to pony up for an extension, likely more than $10 million per season. Considering his baggage, an NFL personnel man estimated that Harvin would fetch just a second- or third-round pick in return.
Uhh, waiter! Check, please.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Uhh, waiter! Check, please.
MSR
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #23
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Texans are not going to make a move for Harvin. Not the type of move this F.O. is known for.
No. Of course not. The Texans won't take a risk on a proven talent who has had a little controversy at the beginning of his NFL career.

The risk the Texans love to take is to sign unproven players and just hope they turn into something some day. Once in a millennium that strategy gets you a player like Arian Foster. Unfortunately that's not often enough to make much of a difference.

Maybe Harvin will go to the Colts.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
The risk the Texans love to take is to sign unproven players and just hope they turn into something some day.
Yeah because JJo, Manning, Cody, Myers, James, Leach, Pollard, etc. had shown nothing in this league. Nice BullShlitz
Old 02-10-2013   #25
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Percy's ability, but his Migraine and injury history scare the crap out of me. Pretty sure that's the only reason Minny hasn't offered him a big contract yet. Injuries can be problematic with anyone, but if you could promise me that his Migraines wouldn't be a problem again then I'd bite. With the way the league is so careful about head injuries these days I worry that anything head/brain related is too big of a risk to invest heavily in.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

A 2nd & a 4th plus $10M/yr for Harvin....... or

$10M/yr for Bolden....... or

$10M/yr for Bowe?
Old 02-10-2013   #27
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
A 2nd & a 4th plus $10M/yr for Harvin....... or

$10M/yr for Bolden....... or

$10M/yr for Bowe?
Hell no to all of the above! I just can't see a receiver being worth that much money when all of them have big time question marks. They're all talented but I'd be hot if the Texans even thought about any of the above for that price.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #28
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

For the record,I believe that I read AJ is making 9.6 ish this year with performance bonus'
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #29
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd pass. a 2 and 4, plus a very large impending contract for a guy who hasnt topped 1,000 yards or 6 td's, hasnt been able to get along with coaches or teammates, and struggles to play a full season. harvin certainly looks like what we need opposite andre, but between the contract and other baggage i think he costs too much.
Old 02-11-2013   #30
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Last offseason when Harvin was rumored to be on the block I suggested the Texans trade for Harvi and most people on the MB said no he wouldn't be worth a 1st rd pick.

I wonder how those people feel about Harvin after an MVP type season? I would rather cut all of the Texans FA's except Quin if it meant adding Harvin.
Those first and second round picks are very valuable and since they are now salary slotted are a major way of cap management Also the salary cap and NFL rules are very trade prohobitive .... I would be hard pressed to give up a #1 or #2 for any player in the league (save for the obvious stars).

You look at what other players have been moved for - Brandon Marshall (third I believe) Demeco (5th) and a host of others .... history says picks are worth more than even established players in most cases.

If Minny is to move Harvin , I dont see them having a lot of leverage against those teams inolved. I think he could be had for a 3rd rounder or less.

As for Harvin being a headcase , I think the no nonsense attitude of many of the guy's on this roster along with Kubiak being a hardass even if you guy's dont see it or the media portrays him otherwise would keep him in line.

I dont know that McNair would sign off on that deal tho .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #31
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

All I had to read was that he had problems with Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier to know that our team will not go for him.

I know our team could use him though. IMO our offense missed Jacoby. Hear me out on that first. Even though Jacoby would drop passes, he also made long plays and a defense still had to respect him. We didn't have that last year and we became one dimensional in our passing game (horizontal). If we had a legitimate deep threat not named Andre Johnson, then alot more stuff would've opened up for us.

Perhaps we can package our compensatory picks and make something happen though. But we all know our FO's philosophy is to keep our draft picks to build our team through the draft.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post

Perhaps we can package our compensatory picks and make something happen though. But we all know our FO's philosophy is to keep our draft picks to build our team through the draft.
Cant trade comp picks.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #33
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All I had to read was that he had problems with Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier to know that our team will not go for him.

I know our team could use him though. IMO our offense missed Jacoby. Hear me out on that first. Even though Jacoby would drop passes, he also made long plays and a defense still had to respect him. We didn't have that last year and we became one dimensional in our passing game (horizontal). If we had a legitimate deep threat not named Andre Johnson, then alot more stuff would've opened up for us.

Can't trade comp picks.

I'm kind of weery about Harvin. Maybe we could send AJ up there to slap the crap out of him a few times to help get his mind right first.
Old 02-11-2013   #34
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Love this guy. His injury concerns are way overblown as up until last year he had only missed one game due to the migraines. 2 years back he was the most productive WR in the league the 2nd half of the year and started the same last year until the injury. The guy is incredibly talented.
Old 02-11-2013   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Those first and second round picks are very valuable and since they are now salary slotted are a major way of cap management Also the salary cap and NFL rules are very trade prohobitive .... I would be hard pressed to give up a #1 or #2 for any player in the league (save for the obvious stars).

You look at what other players have been moved for - Brandon Marshall (third I believe) Demeco (5th) and a host of others .... history says picks are worth more than even established players in most cases.

If Minny is to move Harvin , I dont see them having a lot of leverage against those teams inolved. I think he could be had for a 3rd rounder or less.

As for Harvin being a headcase , I think the no nonsense attitude of many of the guy's on this roster along with Kubiak being a hardass even if you guy's dont see it or the media portrays him otherwise would keep him in line.

I dont know that McNair would sign off on that deal tho .....
I consider Harvin to be a star type player,so I wouldn't have a problem giving up a 2nd,although I see your point. He would be a perfect fit for a rag armed QB like Schaub. He's great at running bubble screens drags and stuff close to the LOS. Harvin is a threat to score a TD any time he has the ball in hisands. Whether it's out wide, in the slot or in the backfield. The Texans have never really had a weapon like Harvin. I can only dream about how Gary would use him all over the field.

You need a WR/KR? Harvin is one of the best. Although he hasn't been PR much anymore.

The Bears gave up two 3rds for Marshall. Think they would do that deal again? I view Harvin in the same light as Marshall. Harvins problems with coaches/management all go back to him wanting a new contract. So I dont see him as being a lockeroom problem.

I cant see BoB trading for a guy like Harvin either. It might be to traumatic to bring in a guy like Harvin at 10 mil per year.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I know our team could use him though.
If we had a legitimate deep threat not named Andre Johnson, then alot more stuff would've opened up for us.
Is Percy Harvin a deep threat? I think he's more of a flex player, kinda like James Casey. I don't think he's a true WR. I've been given flack about it before, but I stand by that statement. He's a playmaker & that's what makes him dangerous. He is not a deep threat.

Check out his avg per catch, it's reads more like a really good TE or a RB, not a WR. He had 62 catches for 677 yards @ 10.9 ypc. He's had 8 catches over 20 yards, 1 catch over 40 yards, 36 first downs, 3 TDs.

By comparison, Kevin Walter had 41 catches for 518 yards @ 12.6 ypc. He had 5 catches over 20 yards, 1 over 40 yards, 27 first downs, & 2 TDs.

I'm all about getting play makers on the field, so I'm on board with bringing Percy Harvin to Houston. But he's not going to stretch the field. I don't think he has to, we'd still need to acquire a speed receiver to stretch the field.
Old 02-11-2013   #37
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

As many have said, Harvin is not the type of player to be a deep threat, he is, however, the type of player that can turn a 5 yard slant into a 50 yard gain or a TD. Not to mention his return skills

Would love yo have him as a weapon, but he will go to someone like NE, Denver or, God forbid, Colts.

Texans FO do not have the stones to trade for/rent a player like this for a year, if they cannot get a new contract done...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #38
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Last offseason when Harvin was rumored to be on the block I suggested the Texans trade for Harvi and most people on the MB said no he wouldn't be worth a 1st rd pick.

I wonder how those people feel about Harvin after an MVP type season? I would rather cut all of the Texans FA's except Quin if it meant adding Harvin.
He'd be worth whatever it took for Houston to land him.
Old 02-11-2013   #39
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Just some more stats on the guy in case people hadn't researched what he did in 2011 to his injury and last year in general when he was getting early MVP talk

bleacherreport.com/articles/1376111-nfl-awards-percy-harvin-and-7-surprising-mvp-candidates

Quote:
Of receivers who have received 36 or more targets, Harvin has the highest target-to-catch percentage, coming down with 79 percent of the 62 targets (sixth in the NFL) he's received.

This former Florida Gator leads the league in both receptions (49) and yards after catch (316). After Harvin's 316 yards after catch, Darren Sproles is a distant second with 230. Such goes to show just how explosive this Minnesota pass-catcher is with the ball in hands

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-mvp-candidate

Quote:
It's worked well since then. Harvin has led the NFL (among wide receivers) in offensive touches in the past year with 151. By comparison, the next highest total is 111 by Wes Welker of New England.
With those touches, Harvin makes a difference. He's racked up 1,362 combo yards (1,113 receiving, 249 rushing) for an average of 9.01 yards every time he touches the ball.

Even more incredible, those numbers don't even include his kick returns. In addition to having a 105-yard kickoff return against the Detroit Lions on September 30, Harvin has been averaging 38.3 yards per return, which leads the NFL.
Old 02-11-2013   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Texans FO do not have the stones to trade for/rent a player like this for a year, if they cannot get a new contract done...
What would you think if the Texans used that 2nd round pick on a player that was in the NFL for only one year?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read