Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-09-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OG Brisiel rumored as a cut candidate,HOU interested?

Quote:
5. Mike Brisiel: Brisiel will count approximately $4.4 million toward the cap in 2013, and he did little this year to justify even a fourth of that amount. Injured most of the year, he played poorly when he did play. Combine that with the fact that we will move back away from the ZBS this year, and the writing is on the wall. Brisiel will be gone, and I doubt seriously they will be able to get anything for him in a trade. It is time to cut bait on this one and move on.
http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=22292...medium=twitter
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #2
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OG Brisiel rumored as a cut candidate,HOU interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Tempting, but I think Ben Jones & Brandon Brooks will do just fine next year.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #3
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on his cost and health...i'd definetly give it a look. A vet who knows the system and performed well for us just a year or so ago? Pick up the phone.
Old 02-09-2013   #4
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Depends on his cost and health...i'd definetly give it a look. A vet who knows the system and performed well for us just a year or so ago? Pick up the phone.
If OAK cuts him with the off year maybe he doesnt get that big money offer so HOU could get him back here at a reasonable rate 1 or 2 year deal. Then again JAGs could grab him with them going to ZBS this year. I would like to see HOU cut G Wade Smith then bring back Brisiel and let Jones and Brooks compete to start at other G spot.
Old 02-09-2013   #5
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82097 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty interesting to note that both Brisiel and Winston underperformed in their first years away from the Texans, after being a part of one of the best O-lines in the league.

Is our system that good, or was it unfamiliarity with their new teams?
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #6
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Pretty interesting to note that both Brisiel and Winston underperformed in their first years away from the Texans, after being a part of one of the best O-lines in the league.

Is our system that good, or was it unfamiliarity with their new teams?
I wasn't sure what kind of year Winston had. I knew jamal charles had a pretty decent year and I assumed some part of that was due to winston.
Old 02-09-2013   #7
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I think familiarity with the system and players/coaches around him had a lot to do with Brisiel's success here. I never viewed him as an all world Lineman while he was a Texan. His toughness was nice to have and he was great at combo blocks here, but he still lacked in some other areas. I wouldn't be against bringing him back and letting Wade walk though.

Last edited by Texn4life; 02-09-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2013   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess some of you don't know his history (including his recent one). You might want to catch up with what's happened to him since he left us. Looks like he got the Texans' extra special Dominique Davis treatment.

Quote:
Raiders mishandled Tony Bergstrom, Mike Brisiel

By Levi Damien on Jan 18, 1:11p 95

Kirby Lee-US PRESSWIRE

Reggie McKenzie revealed Thursday that right guard Mike Brisiel's ankle injury was more serious than previously let on. Even so, we didn't see much of their top rookie, Tony Bergstrom.

The Raiders offensive line struggled all season in 2012. They were routinely beaten on the block which resulted in a very little room to run and considerable pressure being put on Carson Palmer.

One of the main culprits of these run stuffs and pressures was newly acquired Mike Brisiel. He was the biggest free agent signing by the Raiders this offseason and coming from a zone blocking scheme in Houston made it all the more odd that he was struggling as much as he was.

Brisiel's primary knock was his inability to stay healthy. He has never played an entire season in the NFL and twice been placed on injured reserve. Reggie McKenzie has said before that injury history is a major concern for him when drafting a player but based on many of his free agent signings last offseason, it doesn't apply across the board.

Shawntae Spencer and Ron Bartell are two examples of players he signed who had injury histories and both were injured in the first two weeks of the season. Both were placed on IR and Bartell was eventually released. Brisiel played all season but to the detriment of his performance.

"You don't sign guys thinking they're going to get injured," Said McKenzie. "You try to look at the history and go from there. Even with big Mike Brisiel, he had a bad ankle and it got worse and worse. We had to do major surgery here at the end of the season with him. He's going to be working to get back in full.

"(It affected his play) a lot. He couldn't drive off of it like he would like. But he had a bum ankle... It was an ongoing deal. He had a whole lot of nicks throughout the season."

When a team gets to the point where a player is in such bad shape he needs "major surgery", there should have come a time well before that point in which he should have been shut down.

This holds especially true when you have the team's top draft pick waiting for his shot.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a very simple rule. If a FA is not specifically mentioned as a target of the Texans the discussion goes in the NFL forum. Please place things like this in the NFL forum.
Old 02-09-2013   #10
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I wasn't sure what kind of year Winston had. I knew jamal charles had a pretty decent year and I assumed some part of that was due to winston.
It's the classic "bash the ex-Texan" silliness imo. I haven't seen too many complaints concerning Winston's play this past season & as you stated Charles was playing very well running behind him. I think some of that could easily be attributed to Winston. Briesel is a victim of circumstance imo. The Raiders are moving away from the ZBS because their future bust McFadden didn't flourish in it. I'm not saying Briesel had a great season but Reece was productive behind Briesel & in the ZBS in Oakland which seems to point to the fact that some RB's just aren't made for it. McFadden seems to be the issue here more then Briesel.

Its just easier for some to bash the ex-texan & assume that they failed as opposed to acknowledging the whole situation that they are dealing with.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #11
srrono
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This is a very simple rule. If a FA is not specifically mentioned as a target of the Texans the discussion goes in the NFL forum. Please place things like this in the NFL forum.
My bad wont happen again
Old 02-09-2013   #12
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously, it depends on price and health, but our ROG position sucked rocks hard! If we can get him, we should.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #13
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see the Texans bring back Brisiel if he's cut. The right side of the line was average to below average this year. Granted we played young and inexperienced guys, but Brisiel was part of one of the best if not the best line in the NFL 2 seasons ago.
Old 02-11-2013   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

No. Brooks resolves RG in 2013. I think we draft another OG high 2014.
Old 02-11-2013   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I would absolutely love to bring him in for cheap and let him compete for either guard position. If he were able to take 1-2 million a year, it would be a no-brainer. There's no question he was overpaid by the Raiders, who were hoping to overhaul their protection schemes last year. He no longer fits, and they want to bail on him, so we might luck out. It all depends on how the rest of the league views him. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jags and Seahawks make a bid for him though, so I don't know how much he will be offered.
Old 02-11-2013   #16
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't mind seeing Brooks try out at LG, and bring Brisel to rotate with Jones at RG. Still need to draft another G high IMO tho.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #17
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Have we ever had a former Texan player come back here to play?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Have we ever had a former Texan player come back here to play?
There have been a few, they've just been kind of underwhelming. David Anderson comes to mind first. Troy Nolan is another.
Old 02-11-2013   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I guess some of you don't know his history (including his recent one). You might want to catch up with what's happened to him since he left us. Looks like he got the Texans' extra special Dominique Davis treatment.
Quote:
When a team gets to the point where a player is in such bad shape he needs "major surgery", there should have come a time well before that point in which he should have been shut down.

This holds especially true when you have the team's top draft pick waiting for his shot.
This is why I've reconsidered on Harvin, Doc said Harvin had an ankle injury similar to Briesel's. Only they shut Harvin down so he probably has much less extensive damage than Briesel at this point.

Personallyl I would stay away from both of them. But if yuor were against getting Harvin then you should definitely be against getting Briesel

Last edited by steelbtexan; 02-11-2013 at 05:36 PM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #20
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This is why I've reconsidered on Harvin, Doc said Harvin had an ankle injury similar to Briesel's. Only they shut Harvin down so he probably has much less extensive damage than Briesel at this point.

Personallyl I would stay away from both of them. But if yuor were against getting Harvin then you should definitely be against getting Briesel
Briesel isn't going to get paid 10million a year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read