Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2013   #301
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Where does Matt rank with QBs in playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Who is a better RB? Rice or Foster

Who is a beter WR? Smith or AJ?

Who is a better TE? Pitta/Dickson or Graham/Daniels?

Who had a better defense? Baltimore or Houston?

Re-emphasizing the running game was not abandoning it. Cadwells play calling was exceptional compared to Cameron's; it was the same offense; they just ran the same plays in adifferent sequence, they never stopped attacking whereas Cam would pull the foot off the gas when they had a lead...
Try not imagining I said something I didn't.
Old 02-09-2013   #302
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
He was benched for a better option ... we don't have one.

Alex makes less mistakes than Matt so that is why I see it as an upgrade.
I live in San Jose, so I have to sit through a lot of 49ers news on TV and friends. Smith gets the same flak around here that Schaub does from Texans fans. "He's a conservative game-manager with a weak arm and won't win the 49ers a SB."

Re-watch Smith during the Nolan & Singletary days. You'll see a guy make constant mistakes. Harbaugh did a good job of going ultra conservative with him so he wouldn't commit to many mistakes.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #303
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Try not imagining I said something I didn't.
The implication from the article and from your post is that Flacco was surrounded with better talent than Schaub and thats why he succeeded. I merely asked who was better, position by position.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #304
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The implication from the article and from your post is that Flacco was surrounded with better talent than Schaub and thats why he succeeded. I merely asked who was better, position by position.
Uh.... the articles I read were more about the similarities between Schaub & Flacco. Like I've been saying throughout this thread, they were considered "about the same" until January of this year.

If Flacco can "step up" & win a Super Bowl, no reason to believe Schaub can't. He's only 3 years older. & though his arm isn't as strong & he is not as mobile, Schaub has made up for it in other ways & has been a "better" QB than Flacco over the last two years in stats & wins. The only thing Flacco has over Schaub at this point, is wins in big games.

As far as talent goes...... this is the NFL. We're all pretty talented. The difference is who "steps up" in those big games. Schaub didn't, Flacco did. Andre didn't, Boldin did. KDub didn't, Torrey Smith did. Our OL didn't, the Ravens did. James Casey didn't, Vonta Leech did.

Heck, if Danieal Manning didn't run out of gas on that opening return, that game would have been totally different.
Old 02-09-2013   #305
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uh.... the articles I read were more about the similarities between Schaub & Flacco. Like I've been saying throughout this thread, they were considered "about the same" until January of this year.

If Flacco can "step up" & win a Super Bowl, no reason to believe Schaub can't. .
I don't believe it to bethe same.....Schaub had an opportunity in NE in the reg season and playoffs, yet melted
Old 02-09-2013   #306
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ProFootballFocus 2012 playoff QB ratings

How about actual playoff ratings from ProFootballFocus...

Quote:
................................Snaps ..Overall ...Pass .....Run ...Penalty NFL Rating
1 Matt Ryan ATL ..........131 .....11.9 .....12.9 .....-1.4 ......04.....105.2
2 Joe Flacco BLT ......,...286 .....11.7 .....12.4 .....-0.9 ......02.....117.2
3 Colin Kaepernick SF .,..197 .....10.3 .....7.2 ........4.2 ....-1.1 ...100.9
4 Russell Wilson SEA ......140 .....8.3 ......4.5 ........3.9 ....-0.1 ...102.4
5 Aaron Rodgers GB .......128 .....3.4 ......4.3 .......-1.2 .....0.3 .....97.6
6 Tom Brady NE ............150 .....2.2 ......2.1 .......-0.3 .....0.4 .....84.7
7 Peyton Manning DEN .....94 .....2.1 ......1.9 ........0.0 .....0.2 .....88.3
8 Andrew Luck IND ..........94 .....1.3 ......0.2 ........0.9 .....0.2 .....59.8
9 Matt Schaub HST .......159 ....-1.4 .....-1.7 ......-0.1 .....0.4 .....87.5
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #307
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I don't believe it to bethe same.....Schaub had an opportunity in NE in the reg season and playoffs, yet melted
& I really don't care what you think.
Old 02-09-2013   #308
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Default Re: ProFootballFocus 2012 playoff QB ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
How about actual playoff ratings from ProFootballFocus...
There's no doubt about it, Flacco kicked a55 in the playoffs & Schaub folded. That's the difference & that's what I've been saying is the difference.

However, let's not act like Joe Flacco has always rated so high in the big games. He was the one they blamed for their previous losses, just like Schaub. (Cue Raven's fan crediting Flacco with the Raven's defensive play-off wins).

Big difference is that Flacco has been mundane in the regular season & Schaub performs as well as the best of them...... usually. This season, definitely not true, but in the past, Matt Schaub has been a great regular season QB & Flacco has been lucky to be considered middle of the pack.

Both Flacco & Schaub had something to prove in these play-offs. Flacco, whose team elevated their game, did so & Schaub, whose team did not, did not. I'm not taking anything away from Flacco. Though his team performed like a championship team, Flacco performed like a championship QB. He's part of the team. But Kaepernick performed like a championship QB as well, but when it counted, when the chips where on the table, his team failed where Flacco's team prevailed. That 4 down possession inside the 6 had nothing to do with Flacco but contributed as much as any Raven's possession to a championship victory.

If we had our pick, who here would take Flacco over Kaepernick (Raven's homer excluded).
Old 02-10-2013   #309
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76043 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we had our pick, who here would take Flacco over Kaepernick (Raven's homer excluded).
Raises hand.

In a damn heartbeat
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #310
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... whereas Cam would pull the foot off the gas when they had a lead...
We don't know anything about coaches taking their foot off the gas
Old 02-10-2013   #311
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
& I really don't care what you think.
Its a discussion dude...don't get your Texans panties in a bunch
Old 02-10-2013   #312
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
There's no doubt about it, Flacco kicked a55 in the playoffs & Schaub folded. That's the difference & that's what I've been saying is the difference.

However, let's not act like Joe Flacco has always rated so high in the big games. He was the one they blamed for their previous losses, just like Schaub. (Cue Raven's fan crediting Flacco with the Raven's defensive play-off wins).

Big difference is that Flacco has been mundane in the regular season & Schaub performs as well as the best of them...... usually. This season, definitely not true, but in the past, Matt Schaub has been a great regular season QB & Flacco has been lucky to be considered middle of the pack.

Both Flacco & Schaub had something to prove in these play-offs. Flacco, whose team elevated their game, did so & Schaub, whose team did not, did not. I'm not taking anything away from Flacco. Though his team performed like a championship team, Flacco performed like a championship QB. He's part of the team. But Kaepernick performed like a championship QB as well, but when it counted, when the chips where on the table, his team failed where Flacco's team prevailed. That 4 down possession inside the 6 had nothing to do with Flacco but contributed as much as any Raven's possession to a championship victory.

You should go back and look at the second half when Flacco threw the ball to eat the clock. Crucial trows on third downs, moving the chains....etc.

I've never said Joe was or should be rated at the top- rating QB's is always subjective ad the ones doing the rating ver rarely define their criteria or guidelines for determining the order off the list.

I've always said that Joe was better han what his detractors would say. Even this week on NFL Total Acces, Jamie Dukes couldn't or wouldn't give Flacco his due. Neiter will Skip Bayliss. But they are immaterial.

Flacco won games this season when his defense stunk, while being hamstrung by his coordinator and when the running game was ignored.
Old 02-10-2013   #313
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Its a discussion dude...don't get your Texans panties in a bunch
It's not about my panties. It's about staying on track.

What you thought does not help, or detract from the point I was making. It was totally irrelevant.

I know there were a fringe few who believed in Flacco. There are a few that still believe in Matt. That was not the point.
Old 02-10-2013   #314
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
It's not about my panties. It's about staying on track.

What you thought does not help, or detract from the point I was making. It was totally irrelevant.

I know there were a fringe few who believed in Flacco. There are a few that still believe in Matt. That was not the point.
In all fairness, what you think "If Flacco can "step up" & win a Super Bowl, no reason to believe Schaub can't " doesn't help your argument nor help you make your point.
Old 02-10-2013   #315
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
In all fairness, what you think "If Flacco can "step up" & win a Super Bowl, no reason to believe Schaub can't " doesn't help your argument nor help you make your point.
You win. You're right. Before the play-offs, Joe Flacco was considered a mediocre QB just like Schaub.
Old 02-10-2013   #316
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You win. You're right. Before the play-offs, Joe Flacco was considered a mediocre QB just like Schaub.
Flacco had everything but actually getting it done . He has size , arm strength , durability , and decent mobility .
Old 02-10-2013   #317
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right here ... right here, I would!!!
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #318
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4127 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take any QB that was in the playoffs save Dalton over Schaub at this point. Stupid gimpy QB who only knows to check down or throw it out when he is forced out of the pocket... It frustrates me so much seeing him do that again and again.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #319
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
No one "wins"....Last Regular season was not his best, I know that much. It was the firing of Cam Cameron and elevation of Jim Caldwell that allowed Joe to flourish in the offense.

And the intial question to start the THREAD was

"Where does Matt rank with QBs in the PLayoffs?"
Old 02-11-2013   #320
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
No one "wins"....Last Regular season was not his best, I know that much. It was the firing of Cam Cameron and elevation of Jim Caldwell that allowed Joe to flourish in the offense.

And the intial question to start the THREAD was

"Where does Matt rank with QBs in the PLayoffs?"
I remember last season how the talk was all about the Ravens "new" offense. But Flacco managed to temper expectations.

They flashed from time to time, but his inconsistencies brought them back to the mean.... we'll see what lasting affects Caldwell will have on your offense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read