Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2013   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Three-and-out Percentage - Texans 26th in NFL

I'm too fat and lazy to go do the research, but I wonder what this stat would be for the 1st half of the season vs the 2nd. It seemed like we were very good in the 1st half of the season, then went out the poop shoot in the 2nd.
Old 02-08-2013   #22
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 24997 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm too fat and lazy to go do the research, but I wonder what this stat would be for the 1st half of the season vs the 2nd. It seemed like we were very good in the 1st half of the season, then went out the poop shoot in the 2nd.
That's what it seemed like to me as well. I don't know what to attribute it to. Was it because teams started to figure out what we were doing? Was our O-line playing worse? As I mentioned earlier, from what I've seen, it appeared the plays were there. Matt Schaub just progressively got worse throughout the season. He began to feel pressure when there wasn't any. He rushed through his throws, failed to go through his progressions. And when there was pressure, it would either result in an incomplete pass or a sack.

Also, our running game the second half of the season was a bit off. There were way too many 0 - 1 yard rushes. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just what I've noticed without looking at any stats.
Old 02-08-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a stat that says much; and it's skewed to begin with.
It would have been nice to be better at it though... Wait.

We don't have a lot of 3 and outs as compared to the opponents in 3 of the 4 losses in the regular season.

See post #41

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...version&page=3
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #24
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

(GASP) You mean the greatest QB in the history of the game of football aka JOE FLACCO is only two notches LOWER than the Houston, Texans? You mean to say that despite Flacco's superbowl ring there are 22 QB's in the NFL who have better 3rd down conversion rates than him?! HERESEY! HERESEY I SAY!

"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #25
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Scoring offense has been pretty steady...

2012 ..8th (26)
2011 10th (23.8)
2010 ..9th (24.4)

We led the league in time of possession in 2012 & 2011.

Just imagine what it would have been like if we weren't going 3 and out so often.
Old 02-08-2013   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
(GASP) You mean the greatest QB in the history of the game of football aka JOE FLACCO is only two notches LOWER than the Houston, Texans? You mean to say that despite Flacco's superbowl ring there are 22 QB's in the NFL who have better 3rd down conversion rates than him?! HERESEY! HERESEY I SAY!

To be fair, this 3 & out percentage is not the same as 3rd down conversions. Slightly different. This is the ratio of 3 & outs to total possessions. Right now, I don't think anyone has an idea of how this correlates to anything right now.

The Texans are 26th in this particular stat, the Ravens, 24th.

3rd down conversions is a slightly different story as the Texans ranked 17th & the Ravens ranked 20th (yes, that's 3 spots lower).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
There are a few stats that truly reveal the soul of an offense. Turnovers, red zone efficiency, and 3rd down conversion percentages don't lie.
You're right, they don't lie, but what do they tell us?
Old 02-08-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the 2012 Red Zone stats.

We were ranked 14

San Francisco, Seattle, Cincinnati, Minnesota, & Indy ranked lower.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 02-08-2013 at 04:17 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #28
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Here's the 2012 Red Zone stats.

We were ranked 14

San Francisco, Seattle, Cincinnati, Minnesota, & Indy ranked lower.
I mentioned this in another thread... we're not as bad in red zone as people made it out to be. We should be better considering the offensive talent we have, but still, not horrible.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I mentioned this in another thread... we're not as bad in red zone as people made it out to be. We should be better considering the offensive talent we have, but still, not horrible.
I think it's relative. Most people don't see how bad other teams are, they just know we're bad. I never would have guessed we scored as many points as we had, seeing how we played in the red zone. I guess we just get to the red zone more often than other teams, but that doesn't jive with our 3 & out percentage.

Old 02-09-2013   #30
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19115 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
To be fair, this 3 & out percentage is not the same as 3rd down conversions. Slightly different. This is the ratio of 3 & outs to total possessions. Right now, I don't think anyone has an idea of how this correlates to anything right now.

The Texans are 26th in this particular stat, the Ravens, 24th.

3rd down conversions is a slightly different story as the Texans ranked 17th & the Ravens ranked 20th (yes, that's 3 spots lower).

You're right, they don't lie, but what do they tell us?
That's over the season though, break it down by 4 and 8 game streteches and I would bet we were darn near last in the league the last half of the year.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
That's over the season though, break it down by 4 and 8 game streteches and I would bet we were darn near last in the league the last half of the year.
And a team like Baltimore who lost 4 of their last 5 would still be lower.

It's no secret that we ran out of gas & lacked focus in some of the games down the stretch. Part of the reason may have been "knowing" that we've clenched a play-off spot & being realistic about injuries. Not just the Cushing injuries, but injuries to guys who were "playing through it" like Cody, like Jjo, like Brooks, like Dobbins & Sharpton, Newton, Wade Smith & maybe even Matt Schaub.

Not that it makes their performance excusable, just being realistic, it happens.
Old 02-09-2013   #32
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19115 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
And a team like Baltimore who lost 4 of their last 5 would still be lower.

It's no secret that we ran out of gas & lacked focus in some of the games down the stretch. Part of the reason may have been "knowing" that we've clenched a play-off spot & being realistic about injuries. Not just the Cushing injuries, but injuries to guys who were "playing through it" like Cody, like Jjo, like Brooks, like Dobbins & Sharpton, Newton, Wade Smith & maybe even Matt Schaub.

Not that it makes their performance excusable, just being realistic, it happens.
choo choo excuse train all aboard.. destination kool aid land..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #33
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yesterday Charlie and LZ were talking about the Texans being on Hard Knocks . LZ was talking about showing Schaub and Kubiak playing poker . They both kept folding saying " I have nothing " . Matt you have a 1v1 match up don't fold . Gary you win the ante if you don't fold ... " I ain't got nothing " .

The Texans played the same way in 2012 as they did in 2011 . The problem was they didn't have Winston , Briesel , and Dressen . Then they rotate Brooks , Jones , Newton , and Harris .

This is also a byproduct of 3rd and 8 and dumping the ball off a 3 yard gain .
Old 02-09-2013   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
choo choo excuse train all aboard.. destination kool aid land..

Not making excuses. You dump on the Texans for falling down the stretch, like it's something unique to the team. I replied saying the Ravens also lost 4 of their last 5, so we were not the only ones who struggled in the second half. That's football, that happens.
Old 02-09-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Yesterday Charlie and LZ were talking about the Texans being on Hard Knocks . LZ was talking about showing Schaub and Kubiak playing poker . They both kept folding saying " I have nothing " . Matt you have a 1v1 match up don't fold . Gary you win the ante if you don't fold ... " I ain't got nothing " .

The Texans played the same way in 2012 as they did in 2011 . The problem was they didn't have Winston , Briesel , and Dressen . Then they rotate Brooks , Jones , Newton , and Harris .

This is also a byproduct of 3rd and 8 and dumping the ball off a 3 yard gain .
Right after the New England loss in the play offs, I posted saying Kubiak screwed the pooch by not trying to get Matt into a rhytm. Not using 3+ WR sets predominately to start the game & get Matt comfy.

I went back & watched that game again a couple of weeks later & that's exactly what he did. It wasn't no huddle, but it was not as slow as a normal huddle. It was 3+ receivers for the majority of our snaps.

& no one wants to hear it, but Matt looked good. Not incredible, but good. There were those two goofy plays where he pulled the ball down & tried to make something happen, but other than that.....

I'd like to see the all 22. The only reason I can think Matt didn't throw deep often, was because there was no one deep often & we never got into 5 step drop territory.... & by that, I mean we were never successfull enough with our 3 step drops that Matt could take deep drops & plays downfield could open up. Seemed like every time we tried, he was forced to throw it early.

I think if anyone would objectively watch that game again, & judge Matt for who he is & not who we want him to be, they'd have to conclude that Matt looked good.
Old 02-09-2013   #36
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 141004 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right after the New England loss in the play offs, I posted saying Kubiak screwed the pooch by not trying to get Matt into a rhytm. Not using 3+ WR sets predominately to start the game & get Matt comfy.

I went back & watched that game again a couple of weeks later & that's exactly what he did. It wasn't no huddle, but it was not as slow as a normal huddle. It was 3+ receivers for the majority of our snaps.

& no one wants to hear it, but Matt looked good. Not incredible, but good. There were those two goofy plays where he pulled the ball down & tried to make something happen, but other than that.....

I'd like to see the all 22. The only reason I can think Matt didn't throw deep often, was because there was no one deep often & we never got into 5 step drop territory.... & by that, I mean we were never successfull enough with our 3 step drops that Matt could take deep drops & plays downfield could open up. Seemed like every time we tried, he was forced to throw it early.

I think if anyone would objectively watch that game again, & judge Matt for who he is & not who we want him to be, they'd have to conclude that Matt looked good.
In baseball , Matt would be a junk ball pitcher . He doesn't have the fastball to set up his other pitches so he relies on location and keeping them off balance . This would make Matt much better on an 0-2 or 2nd and 3yd count / to go , because he cause his full arsenal .

When Kubiak gets hard headed and tries to run early and often against a team with a big DL , he puts Matt in 3rd and long . That puts Matt in bad way .
Old 02-09-2013   #37
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

To me, 3rd down conversion and redzone effeciency are qb related things. Even breaking that down more, 3&5 or less ,td% from 25 to15 yd line, 15yd line to 7,and 7 and in are critical. And also qb related. Small windows,tighter throws,decisive winning plays. The fact that I'm willing to bet without looking that daniels and walters probably have more rz targets than aj.
Old 02-09-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
To me, 3rd down conversion and redzone effeciency are qb related things. Even breaking that down more, 3&5 or less ,td% from 25 to15 yd line, 15yd line to 7,and 7 and in are critical. And also qb related. Small windows,tighter throws,decisive winning plays. The fact that I'm willing to bet without looking that daniels and walters probably have more rz targets than aj.
Without looking I bet Arian has more touchdowns than any of them & they have nothing to do with the QB. but everything to do with RZ efficiency.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read