Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-06-2013   #61
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3744 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Jacoby Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Interesting how the Ravens guy disappeared when we started proving his "dramatic turnaround" claim wrong. I think he is trying to irritate us really.
Well, some of us have careers, family, and a Super Bowl parade to attend.

Irritate you? I thought it a legimate and serious question. Here's a guy basically run out of Houston on a rail, a guy many labeled a bust, a flop, a loser....and another team picks him up, dusts him off, and he winds up in the Pro Bowl, makes a game-tying late-second TD in a Divisional playoff, and scores two big TD's in a Super Bowl victory. And why did that happen? Why did he perform so much better in Baltimore than he did for the Texans?

Was it simply a change of scenery? Was it playing for a coach with a strong background in special teams, who saw something in him Kubiak did not? Was it mentoring by veteran players?

Seriously, how often does a guy get vilified and kicked out of town as a bum, and wind up a Pro Bowler, setting these NFL records in one year?

Longest kickoff return (108, tied)
Longest kickoff return in a Super Bowl (108)
Longest play in a Super Bowl (108)
Most all-purpose yards in a Super Bowl (289)

I do not think you have proven me wrong in any way, shape or form. The above speaks for itself.
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #62
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post

Irritate you? I thought it a legimate and serious question. Here's a guy basically run out of Houston on a rail, a guy many labeled a bust, a flop, a loser....and another team picks him up, dusts him off, and he winds up in the Pro Bowl, makes a game-tying late-second TD in a Divisional playoff, and scores two big TD's in a Super Bowl victory. And why did that happen? Why did he perform so much better in Baltimore than he did for the Texans?

Was it simply a change of scenery? Was it playing for a coach with a strong background in special teams, who saw something in him Kubiak did not? Was it mentoring by veteran players?

Seriously, how often does a guy get vilified and kicked out of town as a bum, and wind up a Pro Bowler, setting these NFL records in one year?

I do not think you have proven me wrong in any way, shape or form. The above speaks for itself.
The bold is what I think it was.
Old 02-06-2013   #63
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12818 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby became the go to guy for us to blame when we lost. He never caught on as a wide receiver due to his horrible route running and butter fingers. So when he started screwing up on Special Teams that was his downfall. And all ravens fans know he single handedly gift wrapped 7 points for yall last season. So I doubt it had anything to do with coaching. And He still sucks at wide receiver. All he is, is a one trick pony. He probably spends 90% of his practice time on Special Teams and only 10% on Offense. Therefore letting him study coverages. We expected more of his here. A player id like to compare him to is devin hester. Who also sucked on Offense but might get into the hall of fame on his return abilities.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #64
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Frankly, I think it has exposed a coaching and player management problem on our team.

I had thought that he was just incapable of doing anything other than the token reception for 15 yards and occasional TD on a return every other year. The playoff game vs. Ravens last year was the last straw.

Heading into the 2011 season, I thought Jacoby was going to have it all come together in 2011 with us. I was looking at his stats in the years prior, comparing them to David Anderson who was a role player at WR for us...two guys making WR contributions off-and-on over the years. I was convinced Jacoby would solidify himself as a playmaker in 2011. When the playoff blunder occurred, it was crushing for all of us. This team had invested so many years into helping him grow each year.

I do think that he's going to have moments of blunder with the Ravens. But the player who showed up in the playoffs this year was making plays at key moments, something he never did EVER with us.

The catch vs. Denver. The performance in the Super Bowl. It doesn't take 6 years for a guy to grow up in the NFL and get it right. No, he just found a team that hd the right mix of everything: Coaching, veteran leadership (as much as people bag on Ray Lewis, he IS a good on-the-field and in-the-locker-room leader there). It all came together for Jacoby.

I never saw it coming, not gonna' lie. I was thinking he was doomed. I even thought he would be a camp cut for you guys. Wow, what a turn-around. Few saw that degree of turn-around coming during camp last summer.
Old 02-06-2013   #65
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Simple: He didn't perform better. His WR statistics were down across the board, his punt return statistics weren't better. The only area he performed better was kickoff duties and Jacoby didn't return kickoffs for the Texans last year. The Ravens didn't have a different Jacoby Jones this year, they have the exact same player the Texans released: a game changer that is a big risk, big reward player.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #66
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 67652 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Larry Brown was a Super Bowl MVP for the Cowboys.

Every post-season has an endearing story about a guy who plays way above what he normally does to help his team to glory.

Let's talk again after a few years and see what sustainability he has.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #67
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

THREE of the FOUR stats you're quoting....are the SAME damn play!!!! You've yet to prove yourself RIGHT. IF one game makes you the greatest player in the history of football Larry Brown of the Dallas Cowboys should be in Canton right now getting fitted for a gold jacket and a ring...OH WAIT...he had one great Superbowl against a MEDIOCRE Steeler QB who threw him three interceptions in less than 5 minutes. Don't start preparing Judas for enshrinement in the Hall of Fame just yet.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #68
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 67652 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
THREE of the FOUR stats you're quoting....are the SAME damn play!!!! You've yet to prove yourself RIGHT. IF one game makes you the greatest player in the history of football Larry Brown of the Dallas Cowboys should be in Canton right now getting fitted for a gold jacket and a ring...OH WAIT...he had one great Superbowl against a MEDIOCRE Steeler QB who threw him three interceptions in less than 5 minutes. Don't start preparing Judas for enshrinement in the Hall of Fame just yet.
Do you know what Jacoby did with the other five kickoff returns in the game?

Averaged 23 yards per return, and because he took all of them out of the end zone, gave his team average starting field position at their own 21. He never got the ball past the 28 yard line.

Home runner hitters usually have a high strike out ratio...
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #69
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103198 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
THREE of the FOUR stats you're quoting....are the SAME damn play!!!!
Hahaha...that's exactly what I thought
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #70
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 10276 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I realize most, if not all, Houston Texans fans soured on Jacoby Jones, especially after he muffed the punt in the AFC Divisional Playoff game in Baltimore last year. Although he showed signs of greatness, he seemed to have trouble with drops while playing for the Texans.

So he was released, the Ravens signed him, and he went on to the Pro Bowl, caught a huge pass to tie the game against the Broncos in the AFC Divisional Playoff game, and made a comeback 56 yard catch for a TD and returned a second half-opening kickoff for a record 109 yards in the Super Bowl.

So, do you think he simply had "issues" while playing for the Texans, or was he simply not coached properly? It seems awfully odd that a player would have such a dramatic fall and rise so quickly in the span of one season. Had he remained a Texan, do you think he would have accomplished what he did this year, or would he have been a bust?
First of all sir congratulations on your team! They played with heart and they truly wanted to win it all! And I am very happy that Jacoby Jones has worked out well for you guys, although I for one am not surprised that it happened.

To answer your first question, Jacoby had issues dropping passes, but he has always had the ability to be a big playmaker. Unfortunately, the Texans fanbase saw his mistakes that sometimes happened (it wasn't like he was the only one screwing up out there) as "the" biggest problem on the team so he was considered public enemy #1 here in Houston. Jacoby didn't handle that well, which made matters worse and likely affected his play. The fumble against the Ravens was the final nail in the coffin. Even though T. J. Yates threw up INT after INT later in the game (including the one very late in the 4th quarter), there are many in Houston that amazingly believe that Jones' mistake early in the 1st quarter single handedly costed the Texans the game.

He needed to be somewhere where every move he made wasn't instantly criticised! He found that with the Ravens. With all of the day to day criticism lifted, he was able to step his game up, and now he and the Ravens have their 2nd SB ring! So in a way, Ravens fans owe it to the critical Texan fans, because you guys might not have the new rings right now had Jacoby not been ran out of Houston.

As for your 2nd question, if Jacoby had stayed in Houston he would not have a ring right now, because we now know for sure that the Texans' issues preventing them from reaching the big game were/are FAR FAR bigger than anything Jacoby ever did!

Last edited by HouTx11; 02-06-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #71
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 22184 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sometimes that's what it takes for some people to get it. Perhaps in Jacoby's situation that is what happened, perhaps not.

You have got to watch him for one year, we had four. He had his opportunities here and did not capitalize on them. A lot of people were expecting him to have a break out year at some point, it never happened. he had a problem with dropping punts while he was here, which came to a climax in last years playoff game (Ravens). For many that was the "nail in the coffin" as far as his career in Houston was concerned. I doubt there were to many that were surprised when he became a salary cap cut, even if they did want him to stay.

I can personally say that when ever I saw him going to catch a punt I was worried he would drop it, every time. My family got to calling him 50/50 Jones because we never knew. We also knew that he could break one and take it the house, but the fumbles seemed to be hurting the Texans more than the kick returns were helping.

However, none of these means that the Texans know what they are doing on special teams right now.
Old 02-06-2013   #72
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I see Barney Fife is on the streets of Mayberry again.

Rounding up suspects.

Normally I'd respond to Barney's bull****. But I'll just be Andy and smile at him while I read the newspaper and let him work himself into a tizzy.

Go on, 'Barn. Let us know how it goes with the case of The Broken Window At Floyd's Barber Shop.
You make it so easy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #73
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby on SI cover, dope
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #74
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Jacoby on SI cover, dope
That is awesome. Good for him. I really enjoyed watching Jacoby have a good season. The only disappointing thing was that he didn't have a good game vs the Texans.

Maybe next year, with the game in Baltimore, he will. I, for one, will be pulling for him.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #75
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12818 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
That is awesome. Good for him. I really enjoyed watching Jacoby have a good season. The only disappointing thing was that he didn't have a good game vs the Texans.

Maybe next year, with the game in Baltimore, he will. I, for one, will be pulling for him.
Why would you want him to have a good game against the texans?
Old 02-06-2013   #76
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6986 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say I was very wrong about him messing up in the big game, he did very much the opposite.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #77
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe, just maybe, getting cut/released/whaever by the Texans FORCED JJ to grow the heck up and mature in to a total player.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #78
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Maybe, just maybe, getting cut/released/whaever by the Texans FORCED JJ to grow the heck up and mature in to a total player.
He didnt mature or grow into anything. He's still the butter hands and occasional homerun Player he was when he was with us. The stats say it all. He bobbled multiple punt returns as well Sunday. If a 49er would have been their to blast him either time, it would have been a whole different outcome.
Old 02-07-2013   #79
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
That is certainly the version that the Texans would have you believe, because it relieves them of the responsibility of not having coached him and their special teams, as well as the embarrassment of releasing a player who went on to score two Super Bowl TDs the following season.

The fact is that Jacoby was no rookie. He was the virtually the same NFL-experienced player in 2011 as he was in 2012. The difference was that the Ravens were able to coach both Jacoby, and the special teams surrounding him, to be more effective against the opposition than the Texans were.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #80
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I stayed home with the a sick daughter and watched on TV....
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read