Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-07-2013   #101
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QBs in this draft class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Enviornment is very important. Dooley provided a terrible enviornment. Bray would do well on a very structured team like the Texans with Kubiak helping correct his flaws. IMHO

Some people look at these college 21 yr olds as finished products. LOL

Exactly, you can't draft a college QB thinking he's a finished product, you have to draft him based on what he is now combined with what you think he will become in the future. As college QB at Tenn. Bray is BMOC and we all know colleges kiss these guys ass and help them along in everyway possible acedemically and with off the field issues. Once he gets into the NFL he'll have no alternative but to mature and I think with a structured team like the Texans with strong veteran leadership (AJ, JJo, Antonio Smith, Myers, Duane Brown, etc...) focused youngsters (Watt, Cushing, KJ, Quin, Foster, etc...) as well as a no BS owner, coaching staff, and GM, Bray would mature quickly and get his **** straight. As for on the field WTF moments, you try to limit them but even elite level pros screw up, didn't Favre lead the league in interceptions. God knows Schaub has plenty of WTF moments every year. As long as your not taking him in the 1st round and expecting him to start right away or investing a high 1st round salary in him, he's worth taking a risk. Hell they're all risky players.

I guess his Combine testing and interviews will be very important. I still think he has potential to go in the 1st round.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #102
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
Let me preface this by saying ive only seen Nassib play in 4 games. I agree his footwork is not great and it causes a large portion of his bad throws. I think he is a better athlete than you seem to give him credit for, but yes he nowhere near RG3 (most arenít) Luck, or Wilson. Athletically I would compare him to Cutler. Everything I have read about him says he is a hardworking kid who is very smart which makes me believe his footwork, and decision making can improve under Kubiak. I in no way believe he can supplant Schaub soon; just that he is the kind of guy that will be able to cash in on his physical ability. Thanks for responding though, you canít believe everything you read on the web and I appreciate your input.
Coon, another thing I noticed now that I watched a few more games, Nassib just doesn't have good enough arm strength to be successful at the next level.

If you think Schaub has noodle arm, well, say hello to Nassib.
I will try to have the breakdown in the future (don't know when yet).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #103
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I've been watching some Bama games, mainly to look at the RT Fluker.
He mostly dominated LSU the last two years.

During Senior Bowl practice, he looked a little weak in pass pro.
It showed here and there in some games, too.
But overall, I would be comfortable if the Texans draft him (I haven't watched much of the other OTs yet, however).

The TE 89 Michael Williams is a big guy.
He looks really really good in blocking but they didn't use him much in the passing game.
A 6th round pick looks like a steal; probably needs to spend a 5th for him.
I like him a whole lot more than Anthony Hill, that's for sure.
He can get pretty low to; I wonder if we can also use him at FB.
He weighs somewhere in the 260s and does have a pretty mean streak.

McCarron looks like a future NFL QB.
If he continues to develop, I think he will become a very good QB.
If the Texans draft him next year, we will also have the benefit of watching Miss Alabama at the games; man, is she hot!
That one worths the pick, LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Coon, another thing I noticed now that I watched a few more games, Nassib just doesn't have good enough arm strength to be successful at the next level.

If you think Schaub has noodle arm, well, say hello to Nassib.
I will try to have the breakdown in the future (don't know when yet).
I soured on Nassib weeks ago, the more I watch of all of these Qb's the less I like them. I have gone on record in one of my mocks that we shouldn't take a Qb this year, and pray McCarron falls to us in the first next year. I think he is going to be special.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #104
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

How does next year's QB class look compared to these guys? Would it make sense for a team, like KC with Brady Quin, or Arizona with Kolb, to wait & decide on a QB next season?
Old 02-08-2013   #105
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How does next year's QB class look compared to these guys? Would it make sense for a team, like KC with Brady Quin, or Arizona with Kolb, to wait & decide on a QB next season?
Next years class is much better than this years class. I think there are two maybe 3 franchise Qb's. Teddy Bridgewater, and A.J. McCarron are the one's I really like, but if Marcus Marriota from Oregon and Johnny Manziel go in the draft then there could potentially be 4 first round Qb's next year.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #106
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
Next years class is much better than this years class. I think there are two maybe 3 franchise Qb's. Teddy Bridgewater, and A.J. McCarron are the one's I really like, but if Marcus Marriota from Oregon and Johnny Manziel go in the draft then there could potentially be 4 first round Qb's next year.
So if you're Kansas City, how do you manage this so that you're in position to get one of the 3?

Tank?
Old 02-08-2013   #107
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If the texans taken qb i really hope it's dysert. I don't know if he's a franchise guy, but i think he could be an upgrade over yates and possibly make a good starter. Kubiak would have to tame him a little though. But dysert is my favorite qb that I've seen of the realistic possibilities.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #108
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Waldman doing what he does...

Tulane QB Ryan Griffin and The Disconnect Between Evaluating and Drafting Talent

Quote:
The flavor of Texas versus Nation week may well have been 6-4, 216-pound Tulane quarterback Ryan Griffin. NFL Draft analyst Dane Brugler was among several who believe Griffinís stock is on the rise to the point that he should hear his name called in April. Compared to the Geno Smiths, Matt Barkleys, Mike Glennons, and Tyler Wilsons of this prospect class, the changing perception of Griffinís draft grade seems like an afterthought. The fact that Griffin served as the front man for a 2-10 squad doesnít help...
... a nicely done, very in depth piece on drafting and Griffin.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #109
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Ironic isn't it, Texans traded places with Ravens who selected Flacco now one of the top QB's in the NFL
I think that's a bit overboard. He's been so up and down over his career and he did get hot in the playoffs this year. I still wouldn't take him over Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers or even Big Ben.

Dude's going to get paid this year for his hot hand, but I'm still not sold on him being elite.

Though like someone else already pointed out having a top LT in the game isn't so bad either.

I'd still love to steal a guy like Bray in the second.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #110
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

There are about 4 guys in the 2014 draft that I'd take over anyone in the 2013 class.

Aaron Murray, Tajh Boyd, AJ McCarron, and Logan Thomas.

There's no way we're drafting a franchise QB this year, but maybe depending how well or bad Schaub plays next season, maybe we will. If we draft a QB this year, he's going to be behind TJ Yates if anything.
Old 02-12-2013   #111
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
There are about 4 guys in the 2014 draft that I'd take over anyone in the 2013 class.

There's no way we're drafting a franchise QB this year, but maybe depending how well or bad Schaub plays next season, maybe we will. If we draft a QB this year, he's going to be behind TJ Yates if anything.
You mean Bridgewater over Thomas right? Thomas was atrocious this year and I don't expect much more from him next year.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #112
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree and think Bray has the skill but lacks the maturity. On a pro team surrounded by older players/mentors and coaches that won't kiss his ass I think Bray could be the best QB in this class. I think he'll be forced to grow up quick and has all the physical skills.
I don't watch much college football, so I'm not up to date with this kind of information, but what did Bray do to lead everybody to say he's immature?
Old 02-12-2013   #113
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I don't watch much college football, so I'm not up to date with this kind of information, but what did Bray do to lead everybody to say he's immature?
He was underaged, he and his roommate threw beer bottles at a girls car. When Jones ws hired Bray showed up to meet the new HC with a chaw of tobacco.

Dooley was the main problem with what was wrong with the Vols program. He was in over his head.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #114
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post

The only QB that I would definitely take over Bray is Bridgewater and maybe McCarron. McCarron looked great playing behind one of the greatest OL's in college football history. I still like MCCarrons moxie though.

Bray was better than Murray and Boyd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #115
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to try and keep my eye on Bridgewater this year. He looked really good in the Sugar Bowl, and if he is somewhat off this upcoming season, he could fall to us in the 2014 draft. I like what I saw out of him, and think he could fit really well into our system.

2 problems though. 1. He has hype from this game, and could already be on top of some teams lists, and 2. It was just one game. I assume he had to be good to get that team to the Sugar Bowl, but there has to be something he lacks in.

Keepin an eye out. Hopefully, he goes under the radar, because I would spend a 1st rounder on him

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #116
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
I'm going to try and keep my eye on Bridgewater this year. He looked really good in the Sugar Bowl, and if he is somewhat off this upcoming season, he could fall to us in the 2014 draft. I like what I saw out of him, and think he could fit really well into our system.

2 problems though. 1. He has hype from this game, and could already be on top of some teams lists, and 2. It was just one game. I assume he had to be good to get that team to the Sugar Bowl, but there has to be something he lacks in.

Keepin an eye out. Hopefully, he goes under the radar, because I would spend a 1st rounder on him
Trust me bridgewater isn't falling under the radar next year.
Old 02-13-2013   #117
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Trust me bridgewater isn't falling under the radar next year.
water under the bridge

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #118
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I like a lot of things about A J McCarron, except that I have yet to see him complete a pass further than 40 yards from the LOS (and I have checked out all of those completions.)

On several of these "not-so-deep" balls, the receivers had to come back for it or wait for it.

I'd like to see an improvement in that area next year.

No matter what, it's still remarkable that he suffered only 3 INTs.
One bounced off the receivers' hands; one was a rub play where a receiver was supposed to pick off a defender - but failed - McCarron was throwing to a spot on this quick timing pattern it's prett much like a blind throw.

The third one was on a fade route near the end zone where he expected the receiver to stop, but the receiver had a different idea (going for a fade forward instead of a back-shoulder fade.)
I put this one on him still, as the CB was playing inside position and the pass was not thrown far enough toward the side line.

I have not watched enough of the other QBs, maybe Boyd (as I was looking at his two receivers.) He has some potential, but I don't see first round at the moment.

I haven't seen much of Bridgewater but from the little I saw, I was not impressed.

I did watched quite a bit of Murray in his sophomore year, but not last year.
The guy also has some potential, looking quite poise against strong SEC competition.
Old 02-13-2013   #119
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The only QB that I would definitely take over Bray is Bridgewater and maybe McCarron. McCarron looked great playing behind one of the greatest OL's in college football history. I still like MCCarrons moxie though.

Bray was better than Murray and Boyd.
Steelb, I think that Bama line was slightly overrated in pass pro, just like the Texans line was.

The Tides don't go deep all that much, so their load was not quite heavy with McCaron getting the ball out fairly quickly. Also, for some reason, McCarron seems to want to get out of the pocket a little early (more often than I'd like for my QB to.)
Old 02-16-2013   #120
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody think it's possible for Barkley to drop to us at 27? He'd be a great pick-up if he did.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read