Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2013   #101
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Brooks to move to ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Now on the other hand if he comes out in 2013 and keeps stinking it up then you want to have another player to turn to on the roster to maybe light a fire under Barwin's ass or replace him. I still think if we can sign Barwin now for a reasonable amount of money then do it. Just don't break the bank on him yet.
& that's the question. What's a reasonable amount?

I liked what I saw from Barwin, playing spot duty as a 4-3 end coming off the strongside. I liked what I saw from him as the SOLB in a 3-4. He's good against the run, much bigger & stronger than Reed. He looks good running backwards, dropping into coverage, flipping his hips.... he's not "fast" but he can run.

He is not & never will be a beast of a pass rusher. 11 sacks from the WOLB position said as much. His performance this season says as much.

We already got ourselves into trouble paying guys more than their production warrants, we don't need Barwin to be another.
Old 02-03-2013   #102
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Antonio is actually under contract. It's the size of the salary that is being questioned. At a 6M base salary this upcoming season some are speculating that that could be a bit much & he could be looked at as a salary cap casualty. I too wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a DE & cut Smith. I think it could also depend on how highly they think of Crick.

This draft is quite interesting, imo, because the Texans have some holes, but in most of the positions they seem to have players they think highly of waiting in the wings & its a matter of whether or not they believe those players can develop to become key contributors or starters. Tough call on what that 1st round pick will bring. OLB is the only position I see as a must if Barwin leaves & they choose to keep Reed at ILB.
Which is why I'm on board with the Texans taking Datone Jones at 27 if he's still there. Like BL had in one of his mocks.

That's if Barwin walks. Otherwise it's all offense for the 1st three picks for me. If the talent level is there when the Texans pick.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #103
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I look at this, the more I am for keeping Reed at OLB and letting Barwin walk in free agency. Draft an OLB (not in the first 2 rounds), and let him compete with Braman for the top reserve OLB spot. I expect more out of Mercilus as a pass rusher in 2013. And Reed is a known commodity, very serviceable when healthy.
Old 02-03-2013   #104
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm not sure that Barwin will be here again.........for a hometown cheap. Something tells me that just like last year, Barwin thinks a lot of himself.........and there will be some team out there that is just as delusional.
Best think we could do with Barwin is let the Colts sign him for way too much money.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #105
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm not sure that Barwin will be here again.........for a hometown cheap. Something tells me that just like last year, Barwin thinks a lot of himself.........and there will be some team out there that is just as delusional.
I wonder if maybe Barwin doesn't see himself as a 3-4 DE. Maybe he's wanting to hit FA to sign with a 4-3 team?
Old 02-05-2013   #106
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I hope not, we MUST get secondary help, in my mind it is just as important as the LB need IF we move Reed to ILB. I can see BPA in first, then depending on what position that addresses, OL and LB/Secondary in the next two. Before someone says "what about WR?" ... until we get a real QB that position doesn't get us far.
The offense scored 1 TD in 6 qtrs. It needs to be fixed 1st and foremost. There should be talent available at those spots without reaching.

If Schaub isn't the QB that can win a SB, (In your mind) then wouldn't it make sense to have all of the offensive pieces in place for the next QB the Texans aquire?

The Texans aren't bad on defense, they shutoutcincy in a playoff game. They jst need to add a S/CB/OLB. Depth mainly, and Wade should be able to find these guys in rds 3-5.

The only way I draft defense early is if a pass rusher like Datone Jones falls to 27. It's time to bring Casey Hampton home to finish out his career and draft a young NT like Montori Hughes late in the draft.
Old 02-05-2013   #107
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Schaub isn't the QB that can win a SB, (In your mind) then wouldn't it make sense to have all of the offensive pieces in place for the next QB the Texans aquire?
Depends on who that next guy is. If it's Kaepernick, we could have got to the Super Bowl with a borderline bust (Michael Crabtree) & an NFL has been (Randy Moss)....
Old 02-05-2013   #108
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The offense scored 1 TD in 6 qtrs. It needs to be fixed 1st and foremost. There should be talent available at those spots without reaching.

The Texans aren't bad on defense, they shutoutcincy in a playoff game. They jst need to add a S/CB/OLB. Depth mainly, and Wade should be able to find these guys in rds 3-5.

The only way I draft defense early is if a pass rusher like Datone Jones falls to 27. It's time to bring Casey Hampton home to finish out his career and draft a young NT like Montori Hughes late in the draft.
7 pro bowlers on offense, 2 on defense. We have easily a top 4 WR, a top 4 RB and a top 7 TE. Drafting a WR in the first this year is a waste. The talent at WR in this draft is fairly even for the top 6 or 7 guys. If we use our top pick on WR it will not have the impact that people here are wanting. Wr's seldom make a big impact their first year.

Now if you want to add top tier TE thats another story. There are a few really really good ones in this draft. We could probably trade back and still get one to the top ones. As much as we run two TE sets I could see one of them making an impact.

We need to get past Denver and NE to get to the super bowl. I left out Baltimore because I think we already match up well against them. I just don't see us outscoring either one of them in a high scoring game. IMO the best way to beat those guys is to add more talent next to Watt. The more help we give him the harder it will be for offenses to game plan him.

Pressure pressure pressure on the QB and a strong Running game is the way to beat them.
Old 02-05-2013   #109
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I proposed this last year.....someone find my post where I detailed this
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #110
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I proposed this last year.....someone find my post where I detailed this
It makes perfect sense to me. Brooks is a good player, he deserves to be on the field. But he's not a pass rusher anymore than Brian Cushing was. But him behind the LOS & give him more opportunity to make plays.

Put Barwin (1 year deal, $3M.... that's my final offer) at SOLB & let him earn his money. Then we'll have Whitney & some newly drafted Stud competing for snaps on the weak side.

Then if I'm not getting pressure from my front 4...... I send a LB up the middle. Which one? That's the beauty of it right there. Cushing's the man you don't want to see. But Reed..... at game speed, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Heck, if I'm feeling frisky I'll drop Barwin into coverage & you'll think you're seeing double as Cushing & Reed rush up the middle.
Old 02-05-2013   #111
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
7 pro bowlers on offense, 2 on defense. We have easily a top 4 WR, a top 4 RB and a top 7 TE. Drafting a WR in the first this year is a waste. The talent at WR in this draft is fairly even for the top 6 or 7 guys. If we use our top pick on WR it will not have the impact that people here are wanting. Wr's seldom make a big impact their first year.

Now if you want to add top tier TE thats another story. There are a few really really good ones in this draft. We could probably trade back and still get one to the top ones. As much as we run two TE sets I could see one of them making an impact.

We need to get past Denver and NE to get to the super bowl. I left out Baltimore because I think we already match up well against them. I just don't see us outscoring either one of them in a high scoring game. IMO the best way to beat those guys is to add more talent next to Watt. The more help we give him the harder it will be for offenses to game plan him.

Pressure pressure pressure on the QB and a strong Running game is the way to beat them.
Also offense was 8th in scoring only 3 points behind Atlanta and averaged 26 points a game. The defense was ranked 23 in points allowed giving up 20.7 points per game.
Old 02-05-2013   #112
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In the last game of the regular season v. the Colts, the defense allowed the Colts to run out the clock with a 7 or 9 minute drive that ended with Luck kneeling down on the last play to run out the clock. This, in a game that meant something to the Texans and nothing to the Colts.

What's your point??

See my sig:

ALL phases were FAIL!
Old 02-05-2013   #113
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
In the last game of the regular season v. the Colts, the defense allowed the Colts to run out the clock with a 7 or 9 minute drive that ended with Luck kneeling down on the last play to run out the clock. This, in a game that meant something to the Texans and nothing to the Colts.

What's your point??

See my sig:

ALL phases were FAIL!
True

But the Vikings game was probably the most boring game I've attended and I've been there for all of them except the 1st yr. I did make it to the Buffalo game the 1st yr and got hooked. LOL
Old 02-06-2013   #114
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also offense was 8th in scoring only 3 points behind Atlanta and averaged 26 points a game. The defense was ranked 23 in points allowed giving up 20.7 points per game.
The Texans defense was 9th in points allowed, 7th in yards allowed.
Old 02-06-2013   #115
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans defense was 9th in points allowed, 7th in yards allowed.
Nope not according to NFL.com
Old 02-06-2013   #116
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I hope he leaves.
Me too. And I hope that he ends up like Vonta Leach.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #117
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope not according to NFL.com
They were the 23rd least bad at allowing points or 9th best in allowing points.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...ualified=false
Old 02-06-2013   #118
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
They were the 23rd least bad at allowing points or 9th best in allowing points.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...ualified=false
Yep I was looking at it backwards.
Old 02-06-2013   #119
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep I was looking at it backwards.
Trust me i have done worse.
Old 03-02-2013   #120
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Outside linebacker Brooks Reed could potentially move inside, according to Texans coach Gary Kubiak at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Quote:
“I think we have to continue to look that way,” Kubiak said in response to a question about Reed possibly making the switch. “He’s very capable of being a stack player… playing inside in our 3-4. Yes, that could happen. But we like him as a SAM. He’s a heck of a SAM player.”
Quote:
NFL analyst Adam Caplan of Sirius/XM Radio said at the Combine that Reed’s motor and the fact that he was successful early in his career are positive signs for his ability to handle a full-time switch. Caplan pointed to Brad Jones of the Green Bay Packers as a player who successfully moved from outside to inside linebacker last season.

Another notable example is former New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi. Like Reed, Bruschi played defensive end at the University of Arizona (1992-95), then started his NFL career as an outside linebacker. He was moved inside after five seasons and went on to become a two-time All-Pro and three-time Super Bowl winner.

“It could work,” Caplan said. “It doesn’t always work. If the guy’s never played before, he’s going to have to learn it. He’ll start in OTAs after the draft, and what they can do is they can get him ready for it and get him the information that he needs and he can watch tape of how to play inside, but it’s just a process. Mentally, it’s a major test.

“When you’re playing outside standing up, your job more often than not is to rush, then you drop when you have to cover. His main job will be playing the run when you’re inside, and he’s lining up inside instead of outside. So it’s a different process, and he’s got to think differently. It will not be an easy transition if he’s never done it before. But coaches love when they can find a guy who can rush from the inside. It’s like an added bonus.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read