Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-05-2013   #81
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QBs in this draft class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Well, too bad there's OB prospects aren't as good as last year. Maybe next year. Let's see what TJ and Case bring us on table next year. Perhaps, this is the year for us to look for #2WR in early rounds?
I really like Bray, but this may be the yr that the Texans fill a bunch of holes and look for another QB next yr. In fact I believe that's the way to go, starting with WR2.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #82
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I really like Bray, but this may be the yr that the Texans fill a bunch of holes and look for another QB next yr. In fact I believe that's the way to go, starting with WR2.
Yeah, if we give Matt an another weapon at WR, he should be a little more productive than 2012. I was wondering if we maybe able to trade Tate for 2nd rd if there's willing trading partner. In this way, we will have 5 picks (assuming we get comp 3rd for MW) from 1st to 3rd and should be able to fill the most of holes. I would like for us to address the following positions early. WR, NT, LB, DE, S, T. We can fill 5 holes out of 6 by 3rd rd. But I won't be surprised if Kube go after tall TE. I am also interested in Lattimore to see how far he falls due to injury. If he falls to Mid rd, we should at least take a good look.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #83
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, if we give Matt an another weapon at WR, he should be a little more productive than 2012. I was wondering if we maybe able to trade Tate for 2nd rd if there's willing trading partner. In this way, we will have 5 picks (assuming we get comp 3rd for MW) from 1st to 3rd and should be able to fill the most of holes. I would like for us to address the following positions early. WR, NT, LB, DE, S, T. We can fill 5 holes out of 6 by 3rd rd. But I won't be surprised if Kube go after tall TE. I am also interested in Lattimore to see how far he falls due to injury. If he falls to Mid rd, we should at least take a good look.
We've discussed this before and in a trade Tate will bring a 4th at best and more likely a 5th round pick. At this point we might as well hang onto him hopeing that he performs well in a contract year in which he's auditioning for all the teams in the NFL and then let him walk in FA and get our comp. pick the next year. We're going to have to settle for filling only 4 team holes with our picks unless Rick makes some trades. As for Lattimore I'd maybe sign him as an UDFA but only if the doctors examine and approve him. This isn't his first knee injury, and as I understand it he blew out everything in that knee. I think his hopes for an NFL career are slim.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #84
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
We've discussed this before and in a trade Tate will bring a 4th at best and more likely a 5th round pick. At this point we might as well hang onto him hopeing that he performs well in a contract year in which he's auditioning for all the teams in the NFL and then let him walk in FA and get our comp. pick the next year. We're going to have to settle for filling only 4 team holes with our picks unless Rick makes some trades. As for Lattimore I'd maybe sign him as an UDFA but only if the doctors examine and approve him. This isn't his first knee injury, and as I understand it he blew out everything in that knee. I think his hopes for an NFL career are slim.
Yep, perhaps it would be better for us to keep him and hope for the best unless, there's a player Rick likes in the 4th or 5th rd and able to find a trading partner. Too bad for Lattimore. If he blew out everything in his knee like D Davis (Williams), only UDFA is the way to go. At least we have a chance to fill 4 holes with our 1~3rd rd picks which ain't that bad. Hope, we draft the right ones.
Old 02-06-2013   #85
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, perhaps it would be better for us to keep him and hope for the best unless, there's a player Rick likes in the 4th or 5th rd and able to find a trading partner. Too bad for Lattimore. If he blew out everything in his knee like D Davis (Williams), only UDFA is the way to go. At least we have a chance to fill 4 holes with our 1~3rd rd picks which ain't that bad. Hope, we draft the right ones.
Hopefully Gary/Wade/Rick do a better job than they have in past yrs and can find some sleepers in the later rds. Like McCain for example.

If you think they can only find good players in rds 1-3 then they should trade up using picks in rds 4/5/7 to move up into rd 3.

This way the Texans would have picks in rd 1/2/ three in rd 3/rd 5 comp pick and rd 6. I'm a quality over quantity guy, Trading the picks to move up and select players that have a higher % of success.

Rick/Gary/Wade thought just the opposite last yr and instead of trading up for a WR like Hill they traded down and took Posey. Differing philosophies not saying which one is right, but Rick hasn't really ever hit on a big time player in the later rds. Say like a Stevie Johnson/Antonio Brown/Alex Boone type of player. So trading up seems logical to me.

Plus they have alot of picks so most of the later rd picks should have a slim chance of making the team.
Old 02-06-2013   #86
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Ironic isn't it, Texans traded places with Ravens who selected Flacco now one of the top QB's in the NFL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #87
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Ironic isn't it, Texans traded places with Ravens who selected Flacco now one of the top QB's in the NFL
I do not think so. signed Duane Brown. lol
Old 02-06-2013   #88
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rick hasn't really ever hit on a big time player in the later rds. Say like a Stevie Johnson/Antonio Brown/Alex Boone type of player. So trading up seems logical to me.
Arian Foster doesn't count? How about GQ? OD (not sure if he was before Smith)? Mike Brisiel?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #89
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There was a poll on one of the Vols site.
42% think that Bray is a backup NfL QB
32% think that he's not NFL material.

Talent, yes.
Brain, no.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #90
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been watching some Bama games, mainly to look at the RT Fluker.
He mostly dominated LSU the last two years.

During Senior Bowl practice, he looked a little weak in pass pro.
It showed here and there in some games, too.
But overall, I would be comfortable if the Texans draft him (I haven't watched much of the other OTs yet, however).

The TE 89 Michael Williams is a big guy.
He looks really really good in blocking but they didn't use him much in the passing game.
A 6th round pick looks like a steal; probably needs to spend a 5th for him.
I like him a whole lot more than Anthony Hill, that's for sure.
He can get pretty low to; I wonder if we can also use him at FB.
He weighs somewhere in the 260s and does have a pretty mean streak.

McCarron looks like a future NFL QB.
If he continues to develop, I think he will become a very good QB.
If the Texans draft him next year, we will also have the benefit of watching Miss Alabama at the games; man, is she hot!
That one worths the pick, LOL.
Old 02-06-2013   #91
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Hopefully Gary/Wade/Rick do a better job than they have in past yrs and can find some sleepers in the later rds. Like McCain for example.

If you think they can only find good players in rds 1-3 then they should trade up using picks in rds 4/5/7 to move up into rd 3.

This way the Texans would have picks in rd 1/2/ three in rd 3/rd 5 comp pick and rd 6. I'm a quality over quantity guy, Trading the picks to move up and select players that have a higher % of success.

Rick/Gary/Wade thought just the opposite last yr and instead of trading up for a WR like Hill they traded down and took Posey. Differing philosophies not saying which one is right, but Rick hasn't really ever hit on a big time player in the later rds. Say like a Stevie Johnson/Antonio Brown/Alex Boone type of player. So trading up seems logical to me.

Plus they have alot of picks so most of the later rd picks should have a slim chance of making the team.
This is draft and of course a player with seems to posses higher talents will be drafted in the early rds. Seems to me, the Texans find players drafted 1~3rd has been a core of our team(excluding FA) and they tend to stick around with team longer. Of course, there are some players were drafted in later rds or UDFA and has been successful with us but % of success wise I think 1~3rd picks are very important. Of course, this may varies by quantity of quality talents available in respective draft year but in general, early rounds pays off if you draft right.

The Texans are playoff team and there aren't many holes in comparison with non contender team or The Texans of several years ago. So yeah, I agree with you about quality over quantity especially at this stage of team like the Texans really need quality players to fill the holes. So I am hoping we draft the right ones in early rounds.
Old 02-06-2013   #92
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There was a poll on one of the Vols site.
42% think that Bray is a backup NfL QB
32% think that he's not NFL material.

Talent, yes.
Brain, no.
And with the right coaching I disagree with the Tinbreds.

A big part of the problem was Dooley. IMHO
Old 02-06-2013   #93
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And with the right coaching I disagree with the Tinbreds.

A big part of the problem was Dooley. IMHO
I agree and think Bray has the skill but lacks the maturity. On a pro team surrounded by older players/mentors and coaches that won't kiss his ass I think Bray could be the best QB in this class. I think he'll be forced to grow up quick and has all the physical skills.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #94
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree and think Bray has the skill but lacks the maturity. On a pro team surrounded by older players/mentors and coaches that won't kiss his ass I think Bray could be the best QB in this class. I think he'll be forced to grow up quick and has all the physical skills.
Enviornment is very important. Dooley provided a terrible enviornment. Bray would do well on a very structured team like the Texans with Kubiak helping correct his flaws. IMHO

Some people look at these college 21 yr olds as finished products. LOL
Old 02-06-2013   #95
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm talking about his decisions on the field; too many WTF moments.
Old 02-06-2013   #96
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm talking about his decisions on the field; too many WTF moments.
Show me some of these moments,

34 TD's 12 ints 3600 yds

Cant be too many of those moments. There are also bound to be many more good moments. I'm not saying Bray is perfect, but he's got as many if not more tools to work with as any QB in this draft.

After the combine I could see him moving into the bottom of the 1st rd. Taken by a team that trades back into the 1st rd like Arz or KC.
Old 02-06-2013   #97
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Show me some of these moments,

34 TD's 12 ints 3600 yds

Cant be too many of those moments. There are also bound to be many more good moments. I'm not saying Bray is perfect, but he's got as many if not more tools to work with as any QB in this draft.

After the combine I could see him moving into the bottom of the 1st rd. Taken by a team that trades back into the 1st rd like Arz or KC.
First off, we need to subtract out the weaklings a QB faces.
I always do. Before this year, all the competitions that Bray saw were weaklings. He managed to miss the other games somehow.

I have to go back to watch some cut ups because I didn't write down any notes; what I know for sure is that Bray often chucked and ducked like Gabbert; which tells me that his pre-snap reads are not good or his reaction to the pass rush is slow or etc.
Old 02-07-2013   #98
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
First off, we need to subtract out the weaklings a QB faces.
I always do. Before this year, all the competitions that Bray saw were weaklings. He managed to miss the other games somehow.

I have to go back to watch some cut ups because I didn't write down any notes; what I know for sure is that Bray often chucked and ducked like Gabbert; which tells me that his pre-snap reads are not good or his reaction to the pass rush is slow or etc.
Looking forward to your analsyst.

No way did Bray miss all of the big boys in 3 SEC yrs. I know he missed time one yr with a broken hand.

He had his team in most games in the 4th qtr against SEC defenses this yr. He did throw a pick and fumble in the 4th qtr against GA. But his team shouldn't have even been on the field talent wise with Ga. He played well against Fla. OK against Bama.

Remember his teams were always less talented and underdogs/out coached in those big games you're talking about. But they were in most of them late in the game. The 12 ints tell me he's not as bad at pre-snap reads as you might think.
Old 02-07-2013   #99
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Looking forward to your analsyst.

No way did Bray miss all of the big boys in 3 SEC yrs. I know he missed time one yr with a broken hand.

He had his team in most games in the 4th qtr against SEC defenses this yr. He did throw a pick and fumble in the 4th qtr against GA. But his team shouldn't have even been on the field talent wise with Ga. He played well against Fla. OK against Bama.

Remember his teams were always less talented and underdogs/out coached in those big games you're talking about. But they were in most of them late in the game. The 12 ints tell me he's not as bad at pre-snap reads as you might think.
He sure did. He missed a lot of the big boys in the SEC in the previous two years. When he did play, he had a bad game.

As far as bad moments this year, I just went back and skimmed the Georgia game. He threw 3 Ints, but that's not all. He could have thrown 2 or 3 more that the defenders just missed or dropped. He also fumbled the ball at a critical moment, too.
The reasons they were still in the game was due to an INT return for a TD by the D, 197 net yards and 3 TDs on the ground.

He has talents across the board.
All 3 of his receivers - two may go in the first round) are draftable; his TE is draftable; and one his O-linemen is draftable.
The other 4 linemen will be draftable next year; even his RB is getting a draftable grade (and he was a 4-star recruit out of high school - grade given by both Scout Inc. and Rivals.)
Every starter on that offense is draftable.

The previous two years, he even had D. Rogers on the roster.

Last edited by 76Texan; 02-07-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Addl' notes on the Georgia game.
Old 02-07-2013   #100
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And that wasn't all his poor plays against Georgia.
He failed to convert on four or five third down situations when he simply made poor or inacurate throws (with time on hand) or didn't see the open receiver; and he simply gave up on another one by throwing the ball into the ground when there's an open receiver right in front of him.

His peripheral vision is so poor; he wouldn't have survived if not for all the talents surrounding him. It's hard to describe but the guy just doesn't have it between his ears.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read