Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-05-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What I am looking at, feedback appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Both Wood and Stacy look to be pretty fast. Both are ranked really low by CBS.

I think I prefer Kenjon Barner though.
I think 4-5th is good value for him.
His cutting ability is pretty sick.

Another guy that caught my eyes is George Winn (Bearcats).
He's not as fast, but he has powerful legs that keep churning.
Hard to bring him down.
Could be an UDFA or late round pick.
Might be a sleeper here.
Another thing I like about Woods he did not sulk when coached brought in others ahead of him. He kept grinding it out showing he has the skills and determination.
Old 02-05-2013   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Rey "I think one of our RT's will come from this list." If we can get an upgrade reasonably priced, that will be great. Will be interesting under new CBA where Clady will end up and for how much.
Old 02-05-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ryan Clady
Andre Smith
Branden Albert
Jake Long
Sebastian Vollmer
Will Beatty
Gosder Cherilus
Phil Loadholt
Jermon Bushrod
Sam Baker
Ryan Harris
Winston Justice
King Dunlap
Chad Clifton
Bryant McKinnie
Max Starks
Will Svitek
Tyler Polumbus
Sean Locklear
Tony Pashos
Khalif Barnes
Barry Richardson
Jonathan Scott
Frank Omiyale
Dennis Roland
Jeff Otah
Brandon Keith
Jeremy Trueblood
Brandyn Dombrowski
D'Anthony Batiste
Jason Smith
Mario Henderson

Rashad Butler
Tony Hills
Pat McQuistan
Lydon Murtha

I think one of our RT's will come from this list.
Sadly, I think you're probably right.
Old 02-05-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Another thing I like about Woods he did not sulk when coached brought in others ahead of him. He kept grinding it out showing he has the skills and determination.
I don't think we will go for a RB until very late.
I think we keep Tate and bring Forsett back.

Therefore, I think I will be more comfortable to take Winn in the 7th. There's no sense to wait to see of becomes an UDFA. He has a lot of good threads on his tires sitting behind Isaiah Pead the last few years.

A strong back that I hope I can hold up at the next level at a cheap price.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
1. Not a QB
2 Not a QB
3a Not a QB
3b Not a QB
Not a fan.
Old 02-05-2013   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

Therefore, I think I will be more comfortable to take Winn in the 7th. There's no sense to wait to see of becomes an UDFA. He has a lot of good threads on his tires sitting behind Isaiah Pead the last few years.

I'd be ok with keeping Forsett but Woods is a huge fast back that would offer alternative if Foster got hurt. Forsett cannot grind out the ball, imo. A 5th for a back like Woods would be a remarkable pick.
Old 02-05-2013   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Not a fan.
Well I want a pretty girl but chances about same as you getting a difference making QB. lol
Old 02-05-2013   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just learned that Stacy and Winn have been invited to the combine.
Expect Winn not to run fast in the 40.

Also, local product D.J. Hayden was also invited.
I just don't know if he can recover soon enough from a near-fatal injury last November (in fact, Dr. Love said that the injury "should have" killed him.)
Even if he can attend, I doubt he can be in shape to perform; what a shame!

When I saw him his junior year, I had no doubt he can play at the next level (just don't know how well); it was a thought echoed by a few different broadcasters, including a former college coach.
Now I don't even know if he can play football again at all.
Old 02-05-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd be ok with keeping Forsett but Woods is a huge fast back that would offer alternative if Foster got hurt. Forsett cannot grind out the ball, imo. A 5th for a back like Woods would be a remarkable pick.
I'm good with Woods in the 5th; but if we can keep Forsett for cheap, perhaps we can use the pick for another position or to trade up.

I didn't pay attention, is Woods any good in blocking?
Old 02-05-2013   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I was high on Jones earlier in the season ..... but that has waned. I dont know if he's just not ready technique wise or .... if he's just not an NFL calibur guard. The fact that Brooks took over for him late says a lot to me .... they have to get stronger up front.

I agree with Lucky that RT is a serious concern .... that right side fell of bigtime from Winston / Briesel to Newton / Jones or Brooks. For this offense to be successful , it has to be able to run the ball effectively - 3.7 ypc aint gonna cut it. They also have to keep Schaub clean ..... or else.

Newton was fairly solid in pass pro but piss poor in run blocking and in the screen game. Two staples of this offense ..... I think its absolutely necessary the RT position is upgraded relegating Newton to the swing tackle.
Yep

And WR And QB etc....
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know why we didn't keep Grimes. I think he was a really good fit for this system.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #32
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just and FYI, Duane Brown was on the radio a little while ago on Texans all access and he's very high on Newton. Feels he has all the tools and says the biggest jump for O-linemen is from the first year they play to the next year. But the most interesting thing he said was that he's going to take Newton under his wing and personally work with him all off season...Film study, technique (he really harped on technique) and strength/conditioning.

Just based on what I have seen from the Texans in the past and the ways guys are talking, I think they fully plan on moving forward with Newton as the starter with some solid competition maybe backing him up.

Hopefully Newton can improve working with D. Brown all off season.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But the most interesting thing he said was that he's going to take Newton under his wing and personally work with him all off season...Film study, technique (he really harped on technique) and strength/conditioning.
I like it. That's leadership to me. Interestingly enough, I remember last week they were talking about how Duane Brown said it was a struggle playing RT in the pro bowl, so he's got an appreciation for how different it is.
Old 02-05-2013   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Newton wasn't a disaster.
Considering his injury, he gives some hope.
But we need more than hope.
If we can draft another tackle, we should.

There are some out there in the draft.
It's not like all the teams are out to draft an OT.

Several of them have been drafted since Brown.
We can get one. He may not start right away, but by the halfway mark of the season, that guy might be able to take the job away from Newton, unless Newt becomes of age - which is even better.
Old 02-05-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Several of them have been drafted since Brown.
We can get one. He may not start right away, but by the halfway mark of the season, that guy might be able to take the job away from Newton, unless Newt becomes of age - which is even better.
This is the only problem I have here. I think Newton is going to get better & be that RT we need him to be. At least I feel better about that than I do about our starting ILB (next to Cushing) is already on this roster. Or that our starting WR (next to Andre) is already on this roster. Or that our starting OLB (I honestly can't think of a starter on the team right now at WOLB)....

Like I said, if there's an Elite RT out there at 27, even though he isn't a big "need" for us right now I think it'll take our offense/running game to another level like what Jj Watt is doing for our defense.
Old 02-05-2013   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'm good with Woods in the 5th; but if we can keep Forsett for cheap, perhaps we can use the pick for another position or to trade up.

I didn't pay attention, is Woods any good in blocking?
I really hope Hayden does not pee on his second chance. I'd advise him to remain out of football. Like most RB, Cierre Woods needs more training in blocking but should do as well as Forsett, Tate or Barner. If you want him basically as a back to protect Schaub in passing, Woods has long way to go.
Old 02-05-2013   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Just and FYI, Duane Brown was on the radio a little while ago on Texans all access and he's very high on Newton. Feels he has all the tools and says the biggest jump for O-linemen is from the first year they play to the next year. But the most interesting thing he said was that he's going to take Newton under his wing and personally work with him all off season...Film study, technique (he really harped on technique) and strength/conditioning.

Just based on what I have seen from the Texans in the past and the ways guys are talking, I think they fully plan on moving forward with Newton as the starter with some solid competition maybe backing him up.

Hopefully Newton can improve working with D. Brown all off season.
Good news. I started out not being a fan of Newton's but he won me over. I liked Grimes also, but didn't do enough to get on roster and stick.
Old 02-05-2013   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
This is the only problem I have here. I think Newton is going to get better & be that RT we need him to be. At least I feel better about that than I do about our starting ILB (next to Cushing) is already on this roster. Or that our starting WR (next to Andre) is already on this roster. Or that our starting OLB (I honestly can't think of a starter on the team right now at WOLB)....

Like I said, if there's an Elite RT out there at 27, even though he isn't a big "need" for us right now I think it'll take our offense/running game to another level like what Jj Watt is doing for our defense.
I agree except for last sentence as I just don't see going OT until WR/NT/ILB are resolved. That still allows us to look there in 3rd or later. I just think if we don't go ILB in first might as well wait until 3B or round 4. In this ILB (Te'o or Minter)#27 2 WR 3 S/CB and a NT pretty much wraps my concerns.
Old 02-05-2013   #39
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59115 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree except for last sentence as I just don't see going OT until WR/NT/ILB are resolved. That still allows us to look there in 3rd or later. I just think if we don't go ILB in first might as well wait until 3B or round 4. In this ILB (Te'o or Minter)#27 2 WR 3 S/CB and a NT pretty much wraps my concerns.
What about Chase Thomas or Gerald Hodges as an ILB? I think either could move inside. Having someone at ILB that could move outside in certain situations could only be a plus. Hell draft one of them and let him and Reed fight it out for the ILB and keep the other one outside.
Old 02-05-2013   #40
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW...it's Cierre Wood, not Woods.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read