Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-05-2013   #41
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Jacoby Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Im not sure that makes sense. I could in theory bobble the ball all the way to the endzone. I didnt think the rule had a hit the ground first clause maybe I will look it up if I have time
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ges-fair-catch
Old 02-05-2013   #42
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

He statistically has a Super Bowl ring coming his way, so yeah...don't really care what the stats say.

He made two TDs in the Super Bowl, one of which was a Super Bowl record and the other was a pass play where he gets up and outruns a guy who was already on his feet and ahead of him by 5 yards.

But feel free to keep the sunshine rays pointed our way.
Old 02-05-2013   #43
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Normally no, it would not be legal. Jacoby actually got bailed out, and I mean BAILED out, on a muff against Tennessee because the guy tackled him immediately after the muff which technically interfered with his ability to field the ball. Have to wait for the muff to hit the ground before you make contact with the player or the ball. 15 yards tacked on. Luckiest break ever. Difference is this ball had already bounced. You can't tell from that gif though.
OK, based on the other link, assuming Jacoby had called for a fair catch (can't see whether or not he did in the clip), he was supposed to not have been hit until the ball hit the ground. So, that's one thing that could have been called here but wasn't.

But, the bigger question is - when is it OK to tackle someone (who doesn't have the ball) from behind? I thought this would be, at least, an illegal block in the back or holding or something (and if it were, I'm not sure how the rules would say whose ball it was). Is it OK during a fumble? Was this considered a fumble when the ball hit the ground? Is it only in this one situation that these tackles are legal, or are there others? I mean, this guy wraps Jacoby up from behind and then tackles him so that he has no chance to recover the ball. It seems kind of weird that when the ball is fumbled, suddenly all the normal rules are out the door and anything goes. I'm pretty sure players can't do that at any other point in the game.

I'm really not trying to be an apologist for Jacoby here (it's his fault for not making that catch). I think it was time for him to go in Houston, though I don't have the level of negative feelings for him that some others around here do. But, I am curious about the rules, since this looks different from what I'm used to seeing.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #44
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
He statistically has a Super Bowl ring coming his way, so yeah...don't really care what the stats say.

He made two TDs in the Super Bowl, one of which was a Super Bowl record and the other was a pass play where he gets up and outruns a guy who was already on his feet and ahead of him by 5 yards.

People somehow think he turned a corner this year, when in fact he didn't. His statistics were down in all WR categories. He didn't make a mental mistake in the playoffs and caught three touchdowns but he didn't turn a corner. He was the same exact player this year for the Ravens as he was with the Texans. Jacoby is a big risk, big reward player. The Texans got the risk last year, while the Ravens were rewarded this year.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
OK, based on the other link, assuming Jacoby had called for a fair catch (can't see whether or not he did in the clip), he was supposed to not have been hit until the ball hit the ground. So, that's one thing that could have been called here but wasn't.

But, the bigger question is - when is it OK to tackle someone (who doesn't have the ball) from behind? I thought this would be, at least, an illegal block in the back or holding or something (and if it were, I'm not sure how the rules would say whose ball it was). Is it OK during a fumble? Was this considered a fumble when the ball hit the ground? Is it only in this one situation that these tackles are legal, or are there others? I mean, this guy wraps Jacoby up from behind and then tackles him so that he has no chance to recover the ball. It seems kind of weird that when the ball is fumbled, suddenly all the normal rules are out the door and anything goes. I'm pretty sure players can't do that at any other point in the game.

I'm really not trying to be an apologist for Jacoby here (it's his fault for not making that catch). I think it was time for him to go in Houston, though I don't have the level of negative feelings for him that some others around here do. But, I am curious about the rules, since this looks different from what I'm used to seeing.
I just rewatched the All-22 views, Jacoby never made a fair catch signal.

It was free-for-all.
The Ravens players can go after him at any time.
That was just dumb dumb dumb!

You can tackle a player from any side you want.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #46
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
People somehow think he turned a corner this year, when in fact he didn't. His statistics were down in all WR categories. He didn't make a mental mistake in the playoffs and caught three touchdowns but he didn't turn a corner. He was the same exact player this year for the Ravens as he was with the Texans. Jacoby is a big risk, big reward player. The Texans got the risk last year, while the Ravens were rewarded this year.
Exactly... he's the same Jacoby when he was with the Texans. The only difference was the Ravens gave him a shot as the kick returner and he took advantage of it. He made most of his big plays this season as a KR. I'm not sure why he didn't return kicks as a Texan?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #47
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:

Come on, GP; just because no one agrees doesn't mean they are pumping sunshine. I get what you are saying. If you twist my arm enough, you could get me to agree along with you. However, that doesn't make them sunshine pumpers.

You want to win. We all do...
Old 02-05-2013   #48
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Interesting how the Ravens guy disappeared when we started proving his "dramatic turnaround" claim wrong. I think he is trying to irritate us really.
Old 02-05-2013   #49
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do you ever stick to one point of view without it changing from game to game GP?

Quote:
$3.5 million per year????

LMAO!

Wow. LOL. I love it when people think they can make three-day leftover scraps taste like gourmet food. Pretty dumb move, Ravens.

And that he signed with the team how baited him into coughing up the football in the playoff game just makes it all the more awesome.

Quote:
All I remember seeing is Jacoby unable to jump high enough to catch a pass as well as not being able to dive low enough to catch a pass.

If he cuts on his route too early, the ball is over his head. We all have seen this. Jacoby leaping high and not able to even come close to the ball. it's because he went into his cut too soon when he should have taken one more step.

If he cuts too late, the ball ended up in the dirt. Why? Because he wasn't in the right spot at the right time.

Jacoby's route running, while he has had some people in the Texans organization stick up for him, is not good. It's inconsistent just like his hands and just like his punt fielding decision making.

Everything about him is inconsistent and that gets you in hot water in the NFL. He has the talent attributes teams want, but the inconsistency issue is what hurts him AND his team.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...y+Jones&page=3

You trashed Jacoby Jones left and right before. Hell, I even remember years ago how you trashed Kubiak for not playing him hardly enough and letting Walter stay as the #2 WR. Then after that season you were trashing Kubiak and Mcnair for resigning JJ and went on and on for what a mistake it was and how Kubiak was "way to trusting." From then on, you repeatedly trashed Jacoby Jones, and laughed your ass off at the Ravens pretty much all season.

Now you have the adacity to call out people for allegedly pumping sunshine, because they don't miss JJ one bit? Lol!! How about if you stop flip flopping on everything that has to do with the team in hind sight every other week with these knee jerk reactions? I'll bash Gary Kubiak for a lot of things, but anyone bashing him or Mcnair for how they let go of JJ is simply being full of it. JJ was crap here for years. He never owned up to either contract that he received. He was always a fumble waiting to happen. His little 400 yards or whatever he got this season was a downgrade even to what he was doing here. So what, he finally had a full season without muffing like 3 punts and giving the other team the ball??
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #50
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I trashed Jacoby Jones..

I argued that the Texans were playing a game with a rookie QB and really didn't need to play from behind.

That said, the Texans took the opening kick-off and got a field goal...

Kicked off... and the defense stopped the Ravens.

#Beautiful

Ravens punt.

Jacoby craps the bed and all of the sudden the Ravens are up 7-3. Thanks man!!!!

EFF YOU Jacoby! We took a chance on you not only to be a return guy (which you did well, no complaints there), but also to be a #2 receiver w/AJ...

You had 5 or 6 years to work that out and he failed.

Congratulations man!!!!

You had a helluva good game (and should've been MVP in some circles)

Scenery changes matter. In Baltimore you're the returner, but also there, you are expected to be a 3rd or 4th receiving option.

The Texans wanted you to be a second and maybe, eventually be a #1

Bottom Line:

You are what you are Jacoby... On the edge of "Kinda Good"
Old 02-05-2013   #51
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
OMG .. its my ex-wife ...

Please save your energy for a Chik-Fil-A picket line ...
Feel free to add to the discussion.

I'm sure the typical anti gay slurs you're known for will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2013   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Feel free to add to the discussion.

I'm sure the typical anti gay slurs you're known for will be greatly appreciated.
I really, really wanna make a joke here, but with influx of newer members I won't. They wouldn't get my sense of humor.
Old 02-05-2013   #53
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I really, really wanna make a joke here, but with influx of newer members I won't. They wouldn't get my sense of humor.
The guy sinks himself all on his own with those types of replies. It's more amusing then anything. He already did it for you.
Old 02-05-2013   #54
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Thoughts. Well he's been winning playoff games for the Ravens for two years now, so great job Jacoby.

Ten bucks says we see his SB Ring on an episode of Pawn Stars within two years, because he hawked it.
As both teams are division winners, we will play the Ravens next year and hope Jacoby turns in some winning plays for the Ravens. I am so glad to see him, Leach and Pollard getting Rings.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #55
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Do you ever stick to one point of view without it changing from game to game GP?

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...y+Jones&page=3

You trashed Jacoby Jones left and right before. Hell, I even remember years ago how you trashed Kubiak for not playing him hardly enough and letting Walter stay as the #2 WR. Then after that season you were trashing Kubiak and Mcnair for resigning JJ and went on and on for what a mistake it was and how Kubiak was "way to trusting." From then on, you repeatedly trashed Jacoby Jones, and laughed your ass off at the Ravens pretty much all season.

Now you have the adacity to call out people for allegedly pumping sunshine, because they don't miss JJ one bit? Lol!! How about if you stop flip flopping on everything that has to do with the team in hind sight every other week with these knee jerk reactions? I'll bash Gary Kubiak for a lot of things, but anyone bashing him or Mcnair for how they let go of JJ is simply being full of it. JJ was crap here for years. He never owned up to either contract that he received. He was always a fumble waiting to happen. His little 400 yards or whatever he got this season was a downgrade even to what he was doing here. So what, he finally had a full season without muffing like 3 punts and giving the other team the ball??
Old 02-05-2013   #56
ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Please take Robert Duvall off your avatar, it is an insult to him.
Yall cold BLOODED around here....damn. Lol.
Old 02-05-2013   #57
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this in another thread about Jacoby and I guess I'll repeat the same thing here. I am of the opinion that the Texans made the right move by letting him go due to a couple of reasons. He's a great returner and we saw that during his tenure here as a Texans but his salary didn't justify keeping him solely as a kick returner. He is a poor receiver in terms of running routes in the middle of the field. He'll once in a while catch a deep pass and show his potential, but once again not justifiable for the kind of money he was going to make as a Texan. Also, we don't have a strong armed QB like Flacco to take advantage of Jacoby's speed. We have a weak armed QB who flutters in passes and Jacoby would be wasted here. Kubiak got as much as he could out of Jacoby and things didn't work out for him here. Sometimes you go to another team and things click for some reason. I'm happy for him because he seems like a good fun loving guy, but I still think the Texans made the right move by letting him go.

Last edited by Nawzer; 02-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Nawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #58
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I said this in another thread about Jacoby and I guess I'll repeat the same thing here. I am of the opinion that the Texans made the right move letting him go due to a couple of reasons. He's a great returner and we saw that during his tenure here as a Texans but his salary didn't justify keeping him as solely as a kick returner. He is a poor receiver in terms of running routes in the middle of the field. He'll once in a while catch a deep pass and show his potential, but once again not justifiable for the kind of money he was going to make as a Texan. Also, we don't have a strong armed QB like Flacco to take advantage of Jacoby's speed. We have a weak armed QB who flutters in passes and Jacoby would be wasted here. Kubiak got as much as he could out of Jacoby and things didn't work out for him here. Sometimes you go to a another team and things click for some reason. I'm happy for him because he seems like a good fun loving guy, but I still think the Texans made the right move by letting him go.
Wow, it's like I'm reading my own thoughts.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #59
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Barney Fife is on the streets of Mayberry again.

Rounding up suspects.

Normally I'd respond to Barney's bull****. But I'll just be Andy and smile at him while I read the newspaper and let him work himself into a tizzy.

Go on, 'Barn. Let us know how it goes with the case of The Broken Window At Floyd's Barber Shop.
Old 02-05-2013   #60
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Come on, GP; just because no one agrees doesn't mean they are pumping sunshine. I get what you are saying. If you twist my arm enough, you could get me to agree along with you. However, that doesn't make them sunshine pumpers.

You want to win. We all do...
Sometimes it takes extraordinary things to sew up the details.

Why would the Ravens snatch up Jacoby so joyfully after the guy had just been miserable for the Texans versus their own Ravens team in the playoffs last year??? Wouldn't you actually run away from a guy like JJ after having just benefited from his mistake?

The Ravens have an uncanny way of taking players who are perceived to be bad apples, in one form or another, and polishing them up to a high sheen.

Their o-coordinator was holding them back...once they figured that out, their dominance returned to form.

I expected Jacoby Jones to be a major bust. Anecdotal history suggests that was the right expectation to have of him. Even people who "wished him well" still admitted he would have a poor shot at overcoming the odds.

I think it's funny that ONE GUY here (not you, btw) makes his message board living off of roasting me for having one opinion and then changing that opinion as more details and facts emerge when the smoke clears. But that's OK, some people put blinders on and never allow themselves to have their opinion changed....no matter how wrong they are in spite of the contrary being proven to be true. That doesn't make me trash as Barney Fife would like us to believe. It means I don't walk around with one bullet in my pocket acting like I have real authority.

See what I mean? Opinions change as time goes on. New information comes along, and you go "Oh, well that's certainly not what we expected is it?" And then you lol back and think, "OK, so maybe the guy wasn't as garbage as had been proposed."

I don't think JJ is all-world. But I do think he plays better when he feels people have his back no matter what. The fans don't mean **** either; I'm talking about the other 52 on the roster and the coaches. It's possible he found a place that isn't as uptight as Texan Land is. Rey has made some points about the culture here that Gary has created, points that I think are valid and interesting in terms of how things are shaking out now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read