Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-05-2013   #621
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think the locker room in one place was a little uncomfortable that a guy got a big extension after the first reg season game.

And I think another locker room, way over across the country, was pretty excited that their "franchise QB" was going to have to earn his extension the old fashioned way. Like everyone else.

These types of things with QBs, it matters to the other 52 guys. Because he's the guy at the top. It starts and ends with him. Always has, always will.

This is just to follow up on vinny's take earlier. Which is something I co-sign and have felt since about early December 2012.

What we need is a QB who has to have a dynamic year to get a big deal. That likely won't' happen for another 2+ years now. Awesome.
Except like people already posted, Flacco turned down the contract that the Ravens offered him.

So really, it's more like one locker room, way across the country, is pretty excited that their leader wants more money.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #622
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The Texans need to go ahead and start building OL bigtime. If the reality is that Matt Schaub is "Da' Man! (TM)" in their eyes then they need to get something straight; The running game can't be AWOL against the better teams. It's time to put some money into the line. Keep your lousy WR corps (excluding AJ of course) and roll with your collection of generally slow but reliable TE's and build a unit that can't be denied on the ground. That's a must because you're damn sure not going to get there through the air.

You can even keep running Walter out there.

Then hope enough breaks go your way to get to the Super Bowl.
Even the best idea ^^^ probably won't work.

We find new ways to screw up, it's our lot in life. Fix one thing, then the other thing breaks down. Fix THAT, and something over here needs fixing.

This is like my dad's '84 Chevy pickup truck. He spent his weekends replacing **** on that pickup. And I? I got good at video games. I think I ended up the winner there.
Old 02-05-2013   #623
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Except like people already posted, Flacco turned down the contract that the Ravens offered him.

So really, it's more like one locker room, way across the country, is pretty excited that their leader wants more money.
Yeah, the point remains: 52 players knew that their QB was going to roll the dice and say "I'll wait. I think I'm worth more than that." That is HUGE balls. Big odds against him, actually.

Schaub comes back from a devastating injury, has one good game right off the bat...WHAMMO! he's got his new deal by the time McClain has finished the snacks in the press room.

No matter which way it went down, it still remains that Schaub was financially set no matter what (unless he gets hurt again, then his salary goes bye-bye and he has to do an injury settlement for less money. Unless he insured himself, at which I would say he probably didn't get covered do to pre-existing Lisfranc injury).

All in all, I really think the early contract for Schaub was bad mojo.

The only thing I have to hope for is that by some miracle Kubiak decides to open the QB position up to a competition in camp and preseason. If neither Case nor TJ can beat out Schaub, then we roll with the Sloth Man again. Like molasses uphill in December.
Old 02-05-2013   #624
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Sorry, wrong forum

Last edited by thunderkyss; 02-05-2013 at 05:47 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #625
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Yeah, the point remains: 52 players knew that their QB was going to roll the dice and say "I'll wait. I think I'm worth more than that." That is HUGE balls. Big odds against him, actually.

Schaub comes back from a devastating injury, has one good game right off the bat...WHAMMO! he's got his new deal by the time McClain has finished the snacks in the press room.

No matter which way it went down, it still remains that Schaub was financially set no matter what (unless he gets hurt again, then his salary goes bye-bye and he has to do an injury settlement for less money. Unless he insured himself, at which I would say he probably didn't get covered do to pre-existing Lisfranc injury).

All in all, I really think the early contract for Schaub was bad mojo.

The only thing I have to hope for is that by some miracle Kubiak decides to open the QB position up to a competition in camp and preseason. If neither Case nor TJ can beat out Schaub, then we roll with the Sloth Man again. Like molasses uphill in December.
The only problem with an open QB competition in camp is... who decides who won the competition?. It is going to be Kubiak. Kubiak who played golf with Schaub before signing him. Kubiak who believes in Schaub, who has made Schaub the QB that he wants. Loyal to the point of blindness Kubiak. I don't see any possibility of there ever being a real open camp competition. If one ever happens the outcome will be foreordained with this Head Coach.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #626
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone notice how we call it "forcing it" when Schaub takes a chance?

For instance, the deep pass to Walter (I know.... I know) that was picked in the endzone in the Colts game. He shouldn't have taken that chance, he should have checked it down to the wide open Foster.
Old 02-05-2013   #627
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
What has he done with the weapons he has had?

Arguably the best receiver in the league.

One of the best TE's.

One of the best RB's.

The hatred goes to where it is earned ...

dont forget about his 3 pro bowl offensive linemen, a back up rb that rushed for nearly 1,000 yards with limited touches year before last year who kubiak (offensive guru(allegedly)) refuses to play.

im glad the year went the way it did. Schaub was out of excuses and i hope the people who were on the fence about him finally made a decision on schaub.

he's a glorified back up qb who has horrible physical tools who isnt that great at being a game manager.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #628
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15379 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Anyone notice how we call it "forcing it" when Schaub takes a chance?

For instance, the deep pass to Walter (I know.... I know) that was picked in the endzone in the Colts game. He shouldn't have taken that chance, he should have checked it down to the wide open Foster.
Haha, I wouldn't use the term Deep Pass but I'm sure that's what your snickering about. But yeah, Schaub stared him down like me when I see a curvy girl walk into my general area.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #629
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 119762 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally fully believe the "dead arm theory" that is floating around. It states that the Jags and Lions game killed Schaubs arm making it essentially dead. Like what happens to a pitcher in baseball when he throws too much in a season.

I also feel that by keeping him in while knowing this Kubiak caused un repairable damage to schaubs confidence and I question if he will ever recover.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #630
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
dont forget about his 3 pro bowl offensive linemen, a back up rb that rushed for nearly 1,000 yards with limited touches year before last year who kubiak (offensive guru(allegedly)) refuses to play.

im glad the year went the way it did. Schaub was out of excuses and i hope the people who were on the fence about him finally made a decision on schaub.

he's a glorified back up qb who has horrible physical tools who isnt that great at being a game manager.
Once again, defense and ST affect the Offense in a profound way.

When the ST and the D suck, the O suffers and vice versa.

Pro-Bowlers, as I was reminded, were awarded more for their play the previous years.

By all accounts, most people here determined that the right side of the line is worse. I will add to that the fact that Myers, Smith, and D. Brown all had a down year from last, especially W. Smith.
Brown was the best of them, but then he went on a downward slide toward year end, just ask some of the people on here.

People were complaining about missing Dreessen.
At the beginning of the season, some were saying that AJ no longer has it, that Walter definitely needs to be replaced
Despite the fact that Jacoby dropped a lot of balls when he was here, the trio of Jean-Martin-Posey couldn't replace him. They didn't drop quite as many balls (close, not quite,) but they didn't make many plays either.

And then there was that Foster vegan thingy.
Did you hear these complains last year?

I'd like to have a better QB, but I'm not going to put down Schaub just for the sake of it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #631
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Wait, you mean to say that all the time we spend here going back and forth over players is wasted because no matter what we say or think the team is going to do what it wants to do with no regard for our opinions?

No ****?

Well thanks Bill. Glad you could clear that up for us. Last one out turn off the lights because there's no point in any of this. Can't believe I spent ten ****ing years talking about a football team and they aren't even listening. Damn!

Well, I know it's "stupid" to bother with this but I just can't help myself. Call it habit at this point. I think all these people you're not understanding know good and well that the FO that signed him to the extension is to blame for doing it. We just all know that they're not going anywhere either. Once the bitching starts (justified or not) then it's going to focus on certain key areas. QB is at the top of the list. It comes with the territory. If you want to be a QB in the NFL some people are going to ***** about you damn near every year. If you're nothing special then you'll hear more of it and that's Matt Schaub's situation in a nutshell.

Matt's got weapons. People who say Matt doesn't have weapons need to look again. He's had weapons for years. He's got Arian Foster and Andre Johnson. They're weapons. He has Owen Daniels and he's a weapon. Joel Dreeson was enough of a weapon that the Bronco's went out and signed him for Manning. Jacoby Jones who I hate with the heat of 10,000 suns was a weapon obviously in hindsight. Schaub has and has had weapons. It doesn't change much in the long run. Add some weapons, take away some weapons, Matt stays Matt.

But that's not why the hate goes to Matt. The hate goes to him because he's the QB and he gets more of it because he's not good enough.

I was under the impression that calling other posters names was frowned upon. My mistake I guess. Just my limitations getting in my way again.
at much of that. Oh and BTW, I get some of your sardonic sense of humor. FTR, I agree, Schaub is not good enough.

My point is this, the Texans have a lot, A LOT of problems. Basically they are paper tigers on many, many levels, not just at the QB position.

The only point that I take umbrage with is:

Quote:
I was under the impression that calling other posters names was frowned upon. My mistake I guess.
Calling people stupid without naming anyone, certainly is not calling "other posters" names. Generalizations are definitely different than attacking or "calling people names". I would suspect that you of all people would know that.
Old 02-05-2013   #632
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well it's one thing to criticize Schaub as how you think he plays, but to suggest that his teammates are being done wrong and disrespected simply doesn't add up. His teammates have always expressed belief in Schaub.
Tex... Not sure where you were going with this.
Old 02-05-2013   #633
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Exactly .... Flacco goes on to win the SB without a new deal and Matt is sitting pretty based on nothing.
JUP!!! Flacco wins a SB and will demand cray cash. WAY more than Schaub but will turn back into, well.... Flacco.

Again, the Texans FO effed up by signing that ridiculous deal, ESPECIALLY coming off the injury that he (Schaub) was coming off, after game one of the season... A very stupid move by the Texans. I certainly wish they would've read Doc Jean's (CnD) post here where Doc basically outlined the way Schaub's season would play out.

That said.. Flacco is Flacco. He probably won't live up to the deal the Ravens give him either. #We know about bad QB deals!

Is Flacco the guy that you saw in the Super Bowl, or is he the guy that you see as very much Tony Romo??? FACT: Flacco has been known to be terrible at times.
Old 02-05-2013   #634
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
JUP!!! Flacco wins a SB and will demand cray cash. WAY more than Schaub but will turn back into, well.... Flacco.

Again, the Texans FO effed up by signing that ridiculous deal, ESPECIALLY coming off the injury that he (Schaub) was coming off, after game one of the season... A very stupid move by the Texans. I certainly wish they would've read Doc Jean's (CnD) post here where Doc basically outlined the way Schaub's season would play out.

That said.. Flacco is Flacco. He probably won't live up to the deal the Ravens give him either. #We know about bad QB deals!

Is Flacco the guy that you saw in the Super Bowl, or is he the guy that you see as very much Tony Romo??? FACT: Flacco has been known to be terrible at times.
I love all these knee jerkers Bill. Before the playoffs these guys would have clowned the hell out of you if you even mentioned Flacco amongst these other elites, but now he is the guy we all wish we could have. If only we had Flacco

Flacco has slightly above average for most of his career. He has definitely started to improve, but he is nowhere close to being elite after one SB run.

I want Schaub gone myself, but only with the proper replacement where the team does their dilligence and doesn't just draft someone just to draft someone because. That is exactly how you end up swapping out QB's every other year. Replacing a QB is generally one of the toughest things to do in any sport. You know I can't stand Yates, but I wouldn't mind seeing there be a legit tryout for the starting job next season out of him and Schaub. Either that, or if we can get another free agent QB or if we do draft a guy, let them all compete.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #635
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No it wasn't ... the argument was is the support of him legitimate.

I say no .... its company line.
And you've got absolutely nothing to base that on other then conspiracy theories fueled by your hatred for the guy.

You haven't ever seen a team where certain players voiced their displeasure to the media about their HC or their QB?? If you haven't you really haven't watched the NFL that long. It happens practically every other year. QB's get blasted by their teammates all the time or at least questioned. That hasn't ever happened on this team even once. The players have done the opposite and spoken highly about their confidence in Schaub. You can create whatever fiction you want about this, but it fails and just comes off as over the top.

You can dislike Schaub yourself and think he is horrible. We all know that you feel that way. You are entitled to your opinion just like anyone else, but to suggest that the rest of his team is being disrespected by management for not releasing a guy that would have some pretty strong cap consequences is downright stupid. The players have spoken themselves and "their word" is more then likely how they feel. There are all sorts of factors that go into releasing a player with a salary like Schaub has in the following season right after he just signed a deal. Do you even contemplate any of this stuff at all?? Do you make the connection as far as how a team has to operate under the salary cap?? Where is the money going to come from to sign some other QB after the cap hit?? The Texans may not have to start Schaub next season, but they can't just release him because they all of a sudden feel like it without there being other factors involved. This isn't Madden.

And why aren't you dumping all over JJ Watt for expressing his admiration and confidence in Schaub either? Watt said several times that he has a lot of confidence in the guy and likes him as this team's QB? So isn't Watt disrespecting the rest of the team since he is advocating for Schaub by your same standards??
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #636
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You haven't ever seen a team where certain players voiced their displeasure to the media about their HC or their QB?? If you haven't you really haven't watched the NFL that long. It happens practically every other year. QB's get blasted by their teammates all the time or at least questioned. That hasn't ever happened on this team even once. The players have done the opposite and spoken highly about their confidence in Schaub.
To be fair, with most of those teams where the QB is called out, the QB is either HORRIBLE, the teammates are scumbags, or a combination of both.
Sanchez and Tebow, for example.

Who on our team is going to call out Schaub? Andre Johnson didn't call out David Carr, what makes you think he will change his policy? Foster is all about peace and love. Kevin Walter? We could have the worst QB in the NFL and he still wouldn't get called out by teammates.
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #637
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterday View Post
To be fair, with most of those teams where the QB is called out, the QB is either HORRIBLE, the teammates are scumbags, or a combination of both.
Sanchez and Tebow, for example.

Who on our team is going to call out Schaub? Andre Johnson didn't call out David Carr, what makes you think he will change his policy? Foster is all about peace and love. Kevin Walter? We could have the worst QB in the NFL and he still wouldn't get called out by teammates.
They're not going to call out Matt because each one of them know there was something eacb one of them could have done better to help their team get to & win the Super Bowl.

If any of then felt they did everything they could ala Dunta's comments about Carr they would be spouting off.
Old 02-06-2013   #638
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Once again, defense and ST affect the Offense in a profound way.

When the ST and the D suck, the O suffers and vice versa.

Pro-Bowlers, as I was reminded, were awarded more for their play the previous years.

By all accounts, most people here determined that the right side of the line is worse. I will add to that the fact that Myers, Smith, and D. Brown all had a down year from last, especially W. Smith.
Brown was the best of them, but then he went on a downward slide toward year end, just ask some of the people on here.

People were complaining about missing Dreessen.
At the beginning of the season, some were saying that AJ no longer has it, that Walter definitely needs to be replaced
Despite the fact that Jacoby dropped a lot of balls when he was here, the trio of Jean-Martin-Posey couldn't replace him. They didn't drop quite as many balls (close, not quite,) but they didn't make many plays either.

And then there was that Foster vegan thingy.
Did you hear these complains last year?

I'd like to have a better QB, but I'm not going to put down Schaub just for the sake of it.
1. The St's were terrible, the defense? How many TD's did they give up in the Cincy game? What was the avg points scored by the winning teams in the playoffs? The NFL has changed, used to the 1st team that scored 20 usually won. In this yrs playoffs that number appears to have gone up to 30-35 and the Texans haven't been able to keep up.

2. The OL as a whole had an avg yr. But they were constantly facing 8-9 man fronts because defenses weren't threatened vertically. (Due to lack of speed on the outside/Matts inability to hit on the deep ball)

2. Dreessen, The Texans are a running team, Dreessen was their best blocking TE, so they missed him badly.

3. AJ, he is still a great WR but he's turning into more of a possesion WR later in his career. He still has the ability to beat 2nd tier CB's deep. But top CB's can cover him deep. Revis/Cromartie/Rodgers etc.... I dont know the answer to this question but how many times did defenses put a S over the top of AJ compared to previous yrs? (I'm sure you've got previous yrs game tape.)

4. Jones vs Posey/Martin etc... Agreed, but Posey was coming on at the end of last yr. Sad to see his career go this way. I'm hoping in this yrs draft they draft another WR high and sign a vet deep guy like Brandon Gipson or Denario Alexander on the cheap.

5. Foster, he was overused and my belifs are that was because they were covering up for Schaub and his foot. Foster did start playing better when he got off of the vegan diet. But the vegan diet had little to do with his performance. IMHO He just didn't break long runs like he did in the 2011 season.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #639
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And you've got absolutely nothing to base that on other then conspiracy theories fueled by your hatred for the guy.

You haven't ever seen a team where certain players voiced their displeasure to the media about their HC or their QB?? If you haven't you really haven't watched the NFL that long. It happens practically every other year. QB's get blasted by their teammates all the time or at least questioned. That hasn't ever happened on this team even once. The players have done the opposite and spoken highly about their confidence in Schaub. You can create whatever fiction you want about this, but it fails and just comes off as over the top.

You can dislike Schaub yourself and think he is horrible. We all know that you feel that way. You are entitled to your opinion just like anyone else, but to suggest that the rest of his team is being disrespected by management for not releasing a guy that would have some pretty strong cap consequences is downright stupid. The players have spoken themselves and "their word" is more then likely how they feel. There are all sorts of factors that go into releasing a player with a salary like Schaub has in the following season right after he just signed a deal. Do you even contemplate any of this stuff at all?? Do you make the connection as far as how a team has to operate under the salary cap?? Where is the money going to come from to sign some other QB after the cap hit?? The Texans may not have to start Schaub next season, but they can't just release him because they all of a sudden feel like it without there being other factors involved. This isn't Madden.

And why aren't you dumping all over JJ Watt for expressing his admiration and confidence in Schaub either? Watt said several times that he has a lot of confidence in the guy and likes him as this team's QB? So isn't Watt disrespecting the rest of the team since he is advocating for Schaub by your same standards??
Signing Schaub to an extention after 2 games coming off a serious foot injury would be a firable offense on most NFL teams. We're stuck with Schaub for a couple of yrs as fans unfortunately. Thanks Rick/Gary
Old 02-06-2013   #640
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I love all these knee jerkers Bill. Before the playoffs these guys would have clowned the hell out of you if you even mentioned Flacco amongst these other elites, but now he is the guy we all wish we could have. If only we had Flacco

Flacco has slightly above average for most of his career. He has definitely started to improve, but he is nowhere close to being elite after one SB run.

I want Schaub gone myself, but only with the proper replacement where the team does their dilligence and doesn't just draft someone just to draft someone because. That is exactly how you end up swapping out QB's every other year. Replacing a QB is generally one of the toughest things to do in any sport. You know I can't stand Yates, but I wouldn't mind seeing there be a legit tryout for the starting job next season out of him and Schaub. Either that, or if we can get another free agent QB or if we do draft a guy, let them all compete.
Flacco just won a SB and if not for a Lee Evans dropped pass would have made the SB a yr ago.

Doesn't Flacco have the most playoff wins for the ammount of time he has been in the league? He's hardly chopped liver and has been underrated for yrs. IMHO

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read