Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-05-2013   #21
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

A friend of mine was at a bar in Conroe a couple of years ago. There were flyers at each urinal advertising the club's upcoming hip hop bash, and it claimed, "Jacoby Jones parties here!" That's what I think of every time I see Jacoby.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #22
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Jacoby Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post
I have heard that Kubiak was hard on Jones, but I do not know that for a fact. It just seems surprising that a player who is released goes on to such a dramatic turn-around in one season.
I don't think the "turnaround" was dramatic. In fact, I would argue that there was no "turnaround."

His stats from the past 4 years:

2009 HOU 27 REC 437 YDS 6 TD
2010 HOU 51 REC 562 YDS 3 TD
2011 HOU 31 REC 512 YDS 2 TD
2012 BAL 30 REC 406 YDS 1 TD
Old 02-05-2013   #23
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 91318 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

He statistically had a worse year as a receiver and punt returner than last year with the Texans. The difference was in kick returns and three TD plays in the playoffs.

He caught a total of three passes in four playoff games outside of those two blown-coverage TD bombs. Take away the one return TD, and he averaged less than 20 yards a return.

Jacoby is still the player that he was when he was with the Texans. He is either going to hit a home run or strike out.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #24
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I don't think the "turnaround" was dramatic. In fact, I would argue that there was no "turnaround."

Exactly right. And he also muffed a couple in the Super Bowl but they were casual drops that he instantly recovered. It was nice to see him play well and score a couple of Touchdowns in the Super Bowl. He played really well in the playoffs as did Joe Flacco. Nothing great in the regular season though. Just goes to show you, all it takes is playing your best football in the playoffs. Which is what the Texans need to do next year.
Old 02-05-2013   #25
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 858 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

All of that about Jacoby Jones being the same player as before and not being professional enough to justify the faith Kubiak had in him is true. But .... Jacoby Jones > Keyshawn Martin + Devier Posey + Lestar Jean
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #26
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby played a big part in the Ravens success 2 years in a row, good for him.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #27
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby Jones needed to go, he did, and he became better for it. Big deal, this kind of stuff happens all the time in pro sports. However, as far as how I personally feel about Jacoby Jones, he can kiss my damn ass. I hope we lights out nail him in our next Raven game.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #28
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby Jones > DeVier Posey right now.

Give Posey a healthy recovery and two years. I see him as a solid number two for us. I wasn't high on him beginning the year but the man was catching up to speed.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #29
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 91318 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Ummm, no ...

He doesn't own any of them as a receiver, and only on special teams because ours is horrible in all aspects.

If Martin was on the Ravens he would probably be scoring TD's consistently as well on returns.
True. A WR who in six years surpassed 30 receptions only once doesn't own anyone.

And we shouldn't look at the production he gave Baltimore this season, we should look at the production that he gave the Texans last year and how his replacements did:

JJ - 31 receptions and 1 TD
Posey, Jean and Martin - 26 receptions and 2 TD

JJ - No kickoff returns

JJ - 10.6 average, long of 79, 1 TD
Martin - 12.1 average, long of 71, no TD

After seeing that his actual production for THIS team was easily replaced, you look at how impactful his production was for his new team:

30 receptions made him the #5 receiver
9.2 yards per punt return was good for 15th in the NFL
30.7 yards per kickoff return was good for 1st in the NFL

He made his bones on kickoffs. Everything else he was pedestrian. To your point, it speaks more to the overall Ravens ST play than anything else.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #30
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 858 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
True. A WR who in six years surpassed 30 receptions only once doesn't own anyone.

And we shouldn't look at the production he gave Baltimore this season, we should look at the production that he gave the Texans last year and how his replacements did:

JJ - 31 receptions and 1 TD
Posey, Jean and Martin - 26 receptions and 2 TD

JJ - No kickoff returns

JJ - 10.6 average, long of 79, 1 TD
Martin - 12.1 average, long of 71, no TD

After seeing that his actual production for THIS team was easily replaced, you look at how impactful his production was for his new team:

30 receptions made him the #5 receiver
9.2 yards per punt return was good for 15th in the NFL
30.7 yards per kickoff return was good for 1st in the NFL

He made his bones on kickoffs. Everything else he was pedestrian. To your point, it speaks more to the overall Ravens ST play than anything else.
But IMO Jacoby Jones is not a player that you really micro-analyze total numbers for. He's a lightning strike, big play, big situation guy. He did not have much of a regular season but he came up big in some big situations for the Ravens. We could have used some of that at crunch time.

I'm not lamenting the loss of Jones (good riddance for all I care) ... it's more like I am disappointed in:

1) Not using a #1 or #2 on a better and more reliable WR,
2) The lack of effective use of Martin, Posey and Jean by the Texans' brain trust,
3) The appearance that as raw and erratic as Jones was, Martin, Posey and Jean appear to be even more raw and erratic.

The Texans are (and were at this time last season) in win NOW mode with a window that may not be open very long. I would have like to see a more significant upgrade after we cut Jones.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #31
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

I think he was or was expected to take at least the #2 spot here and was our #1 or should have been when AJ went down. Take that into context with the fact that he was #3 in Balt and I say even with flat stats it was a pickup for him.

JJ had to go because he was too expense for what he gave us. If he gave us what he gave Balt maybe we find a way to pay him 3mm for this past season.

For those who still point to JJ as the reason we were bounced out of the playoffs last year, get over it. JJ ,Yates and our kicker are the reason we lost not a single person
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
But IMO Jacoby Jones is not a player that you really micro-analyze total numbers for. He's a lightning strike, big play, big situation guy. He did not have much of a regular season but he came up big in some big situations for the Ravens. We could have used some of that at crunch time.

I'm not lamenting the loss of Jones (good riddance for all I care) ... it's more like I am disappointed in:

1) Not using a #1 or #2 on a better and more reliable WR,
2) The lack of effective use of Martin, Posey and Jean by the Texans' brain trust,
3) The appearance that as raw and erratic as Jones was, Martin, Posey and Jean appear to be even more raw and erratic.

The Texans are (and were at this time last season) in win NOW mode with a window that may not be open very long. I would have like to see a more significant upgrade after we cut Jones.
Sometimes things work out in a weird way.

All the receivers drafted ahead of Posey (except one) were on teams that didn't make the play-offs.

The exception was AJ Jenkins who was drafted in the first round by the Niners.
Some of us, especially myself, scratched our head about this pick.
Jenkins was targeted once (1) the entire season, and he dropped the pass.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #33
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I think my views on on are a bit different than most on here, I feel like the potential reward on his returns outweighed the risk but he just wasn't worth a crap as a wideout. I actually thought he was over his punt return woes before that epic muff and I was convinced we were still going to win that game after giving up a TD shortly afterward. I was disappointed when we gave him that sizable contract and just because we have so far failed to find a better replacement WR doesn't make me miss him.

The only caveat I would add is he was not really returning kicks for us and it seems to me (and anyone who watched this team for the last few years) we have some serious problems with our special teams in that regard. No reason that Jacoby and Trindon Holiday should have that kind of success after we release them. Coaching/blocking is definitely lacking.
Old 02-05-2013   #34
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Not trying to readjudicate old stuff (and I'd like to have just forgotten that play), but I noticed something this time that I've never noticed before - my focus has always been on the drop rather than the aftermath. Is it legal for #29 to tackle JJ from behind after he muffs the punt? I honestly don't know how the rules apply at that point, but it just seems weird to me that someone is allowed to wrap someone up from behind and takle them - I didn't know that that was allowed by any player at any point (but maybe it is in this situation)? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I missed it, and am curious if that was legal...
keyser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #35
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Not trying to readjudicate old stuff (and I'd like to have just forgotten that play), but I noticed something this time that I've never noticed before - my focus has always been on the drop rather than the aftermath. Is it legal for #29 to tackle JJ from behind after he muffs the punt? I honestly don't know how the rules apply at that point, but it just seems weird to me that someone is allowed to wrap someone up from behind and takle them - I didn't know that that was allowed by any player at any point (but maybe it is in this situation)? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I missed it, and am curious if that was legal...
Normally no, it would not be legal. Jacoby actually got bailed out, and I mean BAILED out, on a muff against Tennessee because the guy tackled him immediately after the muff which technically interfered with his ability to field the ball. Have to wait for the muff to hit the ground before you make contact with the player or the ball. 15 yards tacked on. Luckiest break ever. Difference is this ball had already bounced. You can't tell from that gif though.
Old 02-05-2013   #36
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected

i never had a problem with jacoby jones.

look how great he looks when he has a competent special teams coach and players and more importantly when he has a competent quarterback who has an arm that can get him the ball.

the year he muffed that punt in bmore, everybody was quick to blame jacoby for that lose even though that had no effect on the outcome of the game. everybody wanted a scapegoat and it was jacoby even though the real person who lost that game was gary kubiak who somehow inexplicably started acting like tj yates was aaron rodgers and put the game on the rookie's shoulder instead of arian foster who was killing it that day. But since gary became an offensive guru and great coach that year when he led the texans to its first division crown after peyton broke his neck even though it was wades defense that saved the year.

Look how great jacoby looks now with a great QB. WE all knew the problem was matt schaub and gary kubiak and this year once again proved that.

Im so happy for jacoby who got unfairly blamed for that playoff game.

He was proven right and all the delusional schaub and kubiak zealots got proven wrong but somehow they've retreated to pretending like they didnt like kubiak and schaub all along.

You know who you are and you're not fooling anybody.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #37
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
i never had a problem with jacoby jones.

look how great he looks when he has a competent special teams coach and players and more importantly when he has a competent quarterback who has an arm that can get him the ball.

the year he muffed that punt in bmore, everybody was quick to blame jacoby for that lose even though that had no effect on the outcome of the game. everybody wanted a scapegoat and it was jacoby even though the real person who lost that game was gary kubiak who somehow inexplicably started acting like tj yates was aaron rodgers and put the game on the rookie's shoulder instead of arian foster who was killing it that day. But since gary became an offensive guru and great coach that year when he led the texans to its first division crown after peyton broke his neck even though it was wades defense that saved the year.

Look how great jacoby looks now with a great QB. WE all knew the problem was matt schaub and gary kubiak and this year once again proved that.

Im so happy for jacoby who got unfairly blamed for that playoff game.

He was proven right and all the delusional schaub and kubiak zealots got proven wrong but somehow they've retreated to pretending like they didnt like kubiak and schaub all along.

You know who you are and you're not fooling anybody.
Sadly, the Ravens D wised up. Longest run for Arian, IIRC, was 7 yards in the second half.

Flacco's good, not great; but to each their own. Better than Schaub doesn't = Great QB.

And lastly, that Colts team last year, with or without Manning, was in ****in' trouble. That roster was trash the last 2 seasons.
Old 02-05-2013   #38
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 137304 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahhhhh Jacoby.

Making big plays for the Ravens for 2 years now!

We all held hope for Jacoby, he just never did much here.

And for a handful of big plays this year, he really hasn't done much as a Raven.

Ya'll will be asking for his head before long.
Old 02-05-2013   #39
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

It is not against the rules to make that tackle
Old 02-05-2013   #40
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Normally no, it would not be legal. Jacoby actually got bailed out, and I mean BAILED out, on a muff against Tennessee because the guy tackled him immediately after the muff which technically interfered with his ability to field the ball. Have to wait for the muff to hit the ground before you make contact with the player or the ball. 15 yards tacked on. Luckiest break ever. Difference is this ball had already bounced. You can't tell from that gif though.

Im not sure that makes sense. I could in theory bobble the ball all the way to the endzone. I didnt think the rule had a hit the ground first clause maybe I will look it up if I have time

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read