Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2005   #81
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
DB,

I wasn't trying to per say compare the Packers to the Texans. I was insinuating about the Packers are having a very bad season and the fans sticking with them, not boycotting the team. I am from Louisiana and was a Saints fan for 30+ years, I know what it's like trying to support a losing team, believe me! I still wore my Archie Manning jersey proudly, and continued supporting "MY" team. I am a Texan season ticket holder and will continue to support the Texans no matter what! I still have a great time tailgating and going to the stadium to be in a NFL atsmosphere. My thinking is you are either a full fledged/die hard fan-no matter what, or a half @$$ fan that is a bandwagon jumper!

Another bigtime game coming on today for me----LSU at Alabama. Looking forward to watching that one today. Geaux Tigers!!!!!!

bobby 119C
I agree with you 100%, my friend. I'm not a boycotting fan, either. I think we have a lot in common, as both the Saints and Oilers had similar histories of good teams coming up short.

And I'm sure as a seasoned Oiler fan from way back, I've been conditioned to stick with my team through thick and thin.

Does this mean I won't voice my opinions about things I want to change? Of course not.

But it does mean that I'll be at every home game and watching every road game, regardless of how good / bad the team is on any given season.

And if there is Texans merchandise that I want, I'll buy it in spite of losing, too. Lately, though, there hasn't been much new stuff, so I'm not inclined to buy anything other than the 3D cup at halftime of every game.

Thanks for the respectful reply, though. We are brothers in arms as Texans fans.
Old 11-12-2005   #82
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Panthers/Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFan
No sense in boycotting until a new coach. Who is going to coach the rest of the way? There are still some games left. And most important, NFL IS BACK IN HOUSTON!!!!

Coacn Capers has disappointed me b/c I thought he would do for the Texans what he did for the Panthers in their 2nd season - at some point in the Texans existence. I'll still watch the games, get my blood pressure up screaming at the TV for penalties, mistakes, touchdowns, etc.

GO TEXANS!!
:rockets: :astros:

I think Capers wanted to do the same thing for the Texans. He was actually a pretty good pick to start a team from scratch. My Panther friends all told me that he was a good starter coach, but eventually you were going to want somebody different.

He is all about creating a stable environment. Putting clocks in all the meeting rooms to make sure people are timely. Trying to keep people from getting too high or low through a time when you are more likely to see losses than wins.

In any event, he was facing a tougher time building this team versus the Panthers for a couple of reasons:

1. When the Panthers were created, IIRC, the league still had loser schedules. That is, if you team played poorly, they got a loser schedule the next year. If your team played well, they played a tough schedule the following year. This resulted in some teams coming out of nowhere with great seasons because the level of the competition they were playing wasn't as high as others. (See my previous post in the same thread to see how scheduling can define your whole season).

2. When the Panthers were first in existence, it was easier to get free agents. The FA market was still being worked out then, and so the Panthers were able to get a lot of quality free agents. When the Texans came around, teams had figured out the system a lot better, so they could work deals to keep their quality free agents and there were not many of those for the Texans to chose from.

3. The Texans had access to some better quality expansion draft players than in previous drafts, but mostly because of the salary cap problems with them (and maybe questions about their health combined with salary). The teams could protect more players than they had in previous drafts.

4. IIRC, because of recent expansion teams quick successes, the owners reduced the number of draft choices the Texans got in their first draft.

It is hard putting a team together from scratch. Some players have stayed with their teams longer than the Texans have been existence. Getting a whole bunch of people together, from different situations and teams, is a hard thing to do.

As for the blood pressure going up, I do hope that the Texans get some sort of the breaks with the refs. It almost seems like every time a key play happens, the refs find a way to kill us with some strange penalty. Not blaming the season on that, but geez, can the team get a break?
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005   #83
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
As for the blood pressure going up, I do hope that the Texans get some sort of the breaks with the refs. It almost seems like every time a key play happens, the refs find a way to kill us with some strange penalty. Not blaming the season on that, but geez, can the team get a break?
This I think is just a part of representing Houston as a sports franchise. Watch the Rockets, Comets, and I just got into baseball and saw the Astros get screwed a couple of times as well.
Old 11-27-2005   #84
Los
Rookie

Default What is needed...

What we need to do to get some action is let McNair know we aren't planning to help him generate any more revenue. Don't buy merchandise, 2006 season tickets, and so forth until we see action.

Ok, that may be a bit extreme, but I am still ticked about how we lost this game. We played conservative the second half, instead of having faith in our players, and we ended losing the game on a comeback. The coaching staff is responsible for us playing conservatively...
Los is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read