Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-31-2013   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default CB in the 1st round?

Jonathan Banks-CB from Mississippi St. has moved down the rankings to being a late 1st round pick. Would he be BPA at pick #27, or is there enough need at CB to justify taking a CB in the 1st round? He looks to me like he's going to be a very good CB in the NFL, and I know there are other needs, but that's not something you pass up lightly. Good CB's are hard to find.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: CB in the 1st round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Jonathan Banks-CB from Mississippi St. has moved down the rankings to being a late 1st round pick. Would he be BPA at pick #27, or is there enough need at CB to justify taking a CB in the 1st round? He looks to me like he's going to be a very good CB in the NFL, and I know there are other needs, but that's not something you pass up lightly. Good CB's are hard to find.
He is pretty polished. Ballhawk, mature with leadership skills. Not a quick twitch, blazer but similar to KJ with more length & better hands. If Texan spent #20 on him then you gotta feel why not a better prospect #27?

That said, there is a good crop of CB prospects Texans could pick throughout draft day(s)

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 01-31-2013 at 10:48 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Not the first round or even in the draft at all but at least UFDA but I'd think the Texans are going to take a long hard look at Tony Tatum given Wade's success with deaf players. He is the ONLY coach in the NFL to ever coach a deaf player and he's done it twice. First with Kenny Walker and now Barwin.

http://nfldraftzone.com/draft-news/d...et-university/
Old 01-31-2013   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I really really like Trufant.I would not hate it if we picked him in the first. Wouldn't be my first or even second choice but again I wouldn't hate it.
Old 02-01-2013   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Just depends on who else is on the board when they pick. I wouldnt rule out a CB in the first by any means.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I really really like Trufant.I would not hate it if we picked him in the first. Wouldn't be my first or even second choice but again I wouldn't hate it.
These are my sentiments as well. Trufant and Banks are the best 2 CB's that could possibly be available when we pick and although I think there are bigger needs I sure wouldn't turn down a top ranked CB that falls into our lap. We might not need it now but there's always room for a quality CB on the roster, drafting for the future needs now.
Old 02-01-2013   #7
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't mind Poyer in the second or third as a replacement for McCain as our nickel CB
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2013   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Wouldn't mind Poyer in the second or third as a replacement for McCain as our nickel CB
really like Poyer too. reminds me of Antoine Cason, he could sneak into first. I've said it before but a one-two of Beavers Poyer & Wheaton would add speed to both sides.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-01-2013   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
CB in the 3rd-6th round?
Fify
Old 02-01-2013   #10
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I was targeting a 1st round CB, i'd go after Marcus Trufant's little brother Desmond. He is 5'11, 190lbs, and has 4.42 speed. He is physical and can play in a man scheme that Wade likes. He has the speed, athletic ability, and desire to be a potential lockdown corner. I have been flirting with the idea of grabbing him in the first round.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #11
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
really like Poyer too. reminds me of Antoine Cason, he could sneak into first. I've said it before but a one-two of Beavers Poyer & Wheaton would add speed to both sides.
I'd be happy with either or both of those guys
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
If I was targeting a 1st round CB, i'd go after Marcus Trufant's little brother Desmond. He is 5'11, 190lbs, and has 4.42 speed. He is physical and can play in a man scheme that Wade likes. He has the speed, athletic ability, and desire to be a potential lockdown corner. I have been flirting with the idea of grabbing him in the first round.
I agree, but the question boils down to there being bigger needs at ILB, WR, NT, and O-line, so if your the GM do you fill a bigger need first or jump on a BPA opportunity if one of the top ranked CB's falls into your lap. Taking Banks or Trufant means settling for lesser talent at your other needed positions, but it also means turning one of your teams weaknesses 2 yrs. ago into a team strength with depth, an enviable position for most clubs in the league.

I know it would mean settling for lesser talent at the needed positions but I think I'd have to jump on Banks or Trufant if available in the 1st, as long as we use our other picks to trade up and at least fill WR and NT with high quality talent. They could also be future trade bait since most teams covet quality CB's.
Old 02-02-2013   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
From studying film of Desmond, he doesn't look all the fast or quick. His hips are a little stiff also. I've seen him take bad angles just as much as good ones. He commits stupid penalties when he's beaten, which is going to happen next level so question that as well.

Poyer is much more quick twitch, fast & fluid. not as thick, doesn't look 5'11" 190 as listed but so what he's a playmaker & keeps inside position to make plays on the football, will actually run the receivers route. If I were addressing the best corner available it would be him @ #27. IMO

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-03-2013   #14
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Have to think we take a CB if he's the BPA. DB is deep this year so you'd like to grab it later and hit a thinner position first, but you need to take the best players.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
From studying film of Desmond, he doesn't look all the fast or quick. His hips are a little stiff also. I've seen him take bad angles just as much as good ones. He commits stupid penalties when he's beaten, which is going to happen next level so question that as well.

Poyer is much more quick twitch, fast & fluid. not as thick, doesn't look 5'11" 190 as listed but so what he's a playmaker & keeps inside position to make plays on the football, will actually run the receivers route. If I were addressing the best corner available it would be him @ #27. IMO

Poyer is another good name to add to the mix. Banks, Trufant, and Poyer if one of them is available at #27 do we take a CB in the 1st or fill a bigger need at WR or NT?
Old 02-04-2013   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Poyer is another good name to add to the mix. Banks, Trufant, and Poyer if one of them is available at #27 do we take a CB in the 1st or fill a bigger need at WR or NT?
Watching two 3-4 teams in the Superbowl I couldn't help but notice thickness across the middle of both teams lines. Some big, physical men, very intimidating. Really like another physical DE like Datone Jones or Ansah Ezekial who are positional diverse. If they are both off the board I'd probably still go DL. Next would be Sharrif Floyd & Kawaan Short. Both could play nose or DE in Wade Phillips scheme.

If all those players are gone maybe look ILB like Minter.

Texans can address WR in 2nd and/or 3rd. I don't like their bust rate to take one in the first. CB is not that big of need plus it's got some good depth this year

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-04-2013   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if a CB is not a high-priority "need-wise", if you get a CB on your Board who you've got rated as a player that should have been picked much earlier, I think a team has got to give serious consideration to taking the corner since it's such a high-value position.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #18
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Even if a CB is not a high-priority "need-wise", if you get a CB on your Board who you've got rated as a player that should have been picked much earlier, I think a team has got to give serious consideration to taking the corner since it's such a high-value position.
My sentiments exactly. While I agree with BL about adding some size to our D-line, I really want Kawann Short-DT in the 1st round and hope that we get bigger at the other DE spot when Antonio is done, a good CB is so hard to find that I think you almost have to jump on a good one if they fall to you, even above taking another position of greater need. Good CB's are becoming more and more rare. Also as the NFL becomes more pass oriented every year I think you have to put an emphasis on the secondary. If a good CB doesn't work out then they can often times be switched to Safety as well.
Old 02-04-2013   #19
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watching two 3-4 teams in the Superbowl I couldn't help but notice thickness across the middle of both teams lines. Some big, physical men, very intimidating. Really like another physical DE like Datone Jones or Ansah Ezekial who are positional diverse. If they are both off the board I'd probably still go DL. Next would be Sharrif Floyd & Kawaan Short. Both could play nose or DE in Wade Phillips scheme.

If all those players are gone maybe look ILB like Minter.

Texans can address WR in 2nd and/or 3rd. I don't like their bust rate to take one in the first. CB is not that big of need plus it's got some good depth this year
That's on the OL and DL. Did you see the chippiness in the first quarter? Those guys were practically ready to fight on the floor of the superdome. Not sure if Floyd is the right fit, but i like Short. Minter seems like a great ILB, but I worry about ILB2 in the Wade scheme. When he goes to nickel, ILB 2 comes off the field for another cb. If Cush wasn't there, Minter would be perfect. However, do we want to invest a high pick in a player who may not see the field against spread offenses?

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If there are comparable players at WR/OT to NT/ILB who do you take in the 1st/2nd rd?

I go offense, The offense was putrid at the end of the yr and needs to be fixed.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read