Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What is a reasonable price for Connor Barwin?
$2M/yr 24 26.09%
$3M/yr 33 35.87%
$4M/yr 26 28.26%
$5M/yr 6 6.52%
$6M/yr 2 2.17%
$7M/yr 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013   #21
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reasonable price for Barwin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
Barwin's antics really statred to get on my nerves. I have no problem with a team wanting to have some fun, but throwing around letterman jackets for the world to see before a game against the New England Patriots is just unacceptable and it just shows that this team is not mentally ready play with the big boys of the NFL. No need to give good money to an average player with goofy looking hair.
Who gives a crap about hipster haircuts and letterman jackets? All I care about is how he performs on the field and last year he didn't play up to a big contract. I think the Texans offer him 3 to 4 million dollars a year and hope he takes the hometown discount.
Old 02-03-2013   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think the Cowboys just put a franchise tag on Spencer.
Is that right or is it too early to do so?
I just glanced through that piece so I wasn't sure.

I say if we can get Shaun Phillips for less, we should do it and save the cap to roll over to take care of Watt and Cushing when the time comess
The season isnt over yet and the tag numbers havent been released yet.
Old 02-03-2013   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The season isnt over yet and the tag numbers havent been released yet.
Yeah, I checked it out and it was from last year.
Spencer is going to be expensive now.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #24
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is really a gauge of Richard Smith's performance. Barwin's future with the Texans will be front & center of this year's off season. Will Smith be able to land him? Or won't he? Will he have to overpay to keep him?

Did we fire Wade? Richard Smith is back?
Old 02-03-2013   #25
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we based on production and skill and future protentional

so that saying lets just let him walk and get it over with
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Did we fire Wade? Richard Smith is back?
Sorry.

Meant Rick.
Old 02-03-2013   #27
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I agree and should have said they cant discuss it until after the third year, which is next year.

After next year they will need to give him MAJOR money, or he could potentially hold out.
This should be the Texans top concern for next year but they have to start planning now. And who they resign this year will probably have a huge impact in what they can give to Watt next year. If Barwin or any of the others are asking too much the Texans should let them go test the market. If there are no takers for some then they can come back for lesser $$$. Personally, I would rather the Texans try to sign Quin and McCain than Barwin. Realistically, I know the Texans are going to lose some players every year they don't want to from now on because of the cap. They'll just have to keep restocking through the draft. But, they cannot lose Watt! He's just too good. A "once in a lifetime" player that's a game changer!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #28
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry.

Meant Rick.
Just busting your chops, lol, but you did give me flashbacks, scared the crap out of me man!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2013   #29
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
OK I'll bite: I expect Barwin gets a contract that averages 4 M a year over 4 to 5 years. Now only part of that will be guaranteed of course, but the "total compensation" will average 'bout 4 M a year. And that's market prices, so that meets my definition of "reasonable".
If they give his sorry ass 4m/year we're fooked. That would be a terrible contract.
Old 02-04-2013   #30
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watt
Cushing
J Jo
Ninja
Manning

I don't know ... who you got at 6th?

I say close between Barwin and Reed?
Kareem
Quin
Reed
Barwin
James
Reliant turf monster
one legged crack head
Cody
Old 02-04-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Chose the lowest price because i couldn't go lower.

Do not want.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Chose the lowest price because i couldn't go lower.

Do not want.
I've seen this at least three times.... interesting.

So far, we've got 37 votes for $119M for an average of $3.2M

Which I could live with. However, if I were Barwin, I'd hold out for at least a 1 year $5M deal & get a do over. I'd probably do it if I were a Texan, if Wade wants him, but he would be the SOLB. If he's not good with playing that position, I'd let him walk.

I think he can get 5 to 8 sacks from that position. Probably the same as WOLB, but we need double digits from the WOLB & Barwin just isn't that guy.

Anyway. Thought I'd look up T-Sizzle's Contract. 6 Years, $62M or $10.3M/yr.
Old 02-04-2013   #33
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He'd test the market if he's wise. He should get someone to bite on a decent payday even with all the FA's Lucky pointed out. Considering he supposedly turned down an previous offer from the Texans, I highly doubt he'll like what he'll be offered this season. He made a mistake not accepting that offer and he likely lost out on millions.

I like the guy, but he's not producing up to what the position requires of him. I mean, Watt and Smith inside are taking the double teams leaving the outside with one on ones. I understand you can't win them all, but dadgum
Old 02-04-2013   #34
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd offer him a 1 year 4 million dollar deal as a "prove it" type of contract. If he really wants to stay in Houston, he can do well in 2013 and we can negotiate again next year. There's no point in giving him 4 years, 24 million with 12 guaranteed, which is what I think he will get offered by a needy team with lots of capspace. I don't think he's worth that much to the Texans right now.
Old 02-06-2013   #35
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...n-2013/page/12

Here's an article on Barwin's estimated contract.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watt
Cushing
J Jo
Ninja
Manning

I don't know ... who you got at 6th?

I say close between Barwin and Reed?
I'd put Glover Quin and Kareem Jackson ahead of Barwin .... TBH , Im more concerned with resigning Quin than Barwin.

I do believe that Barwin's role changed significantly after Cushing went down .... prior to that , he was almost always in attack mode going after the QB , post Cushing injury we saw him in coverage quite often chasing RB's around (not so much TE's) .... and he did a reasonably good job.

He didnt put up big sack numbers but he was getting pressure often getting there a half step late. I dont think he had as bad a year as some others do .... and wouldnt mind him returning at the right price (~3m-3.5m) tho I'd really have to see how that affects other positions - especially Quin.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #37
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

A bag of magic beans and some Pop Rocks.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #38
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted on the basis of what would be reasonable to pay Barwin within the Texans organization and their pay scale.

So, I voted $7 million, given the contract that they gave Matt Schaub last year on a hope and a dream that he would miraculously have a great 2012.

On the other hand, it would also be like them to just let him go like they did Leach. If they do, I hope he goes to the Colts, Patriots, Ravens or Broncos and be on a fast path to a Ring.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post

So, I voted $7 million, given the contract that they gave Matt Schaub last year on a hope and a dream that he would miraculously have a great 2012.
If Schaub played as well as we had hoped & we won the Super Bowl he'd be looking for $20M/yr like Flacco. Instead, we payed Schaub $12M/yr

How much do you think we should be paying a 12 win QB, a division champion QB, who played in the divisional round of the play offs?

He's had a 90% QBr since 2008, better than 60% completions since 2007. 4000 yards a season (even in winning seasons) or on pace for 4000 yards since the day he started for the Houston Texans.

How much do you think he should have been paid? Should we have just let him go?

Connor Barwin doesn't do crap in a contract year & you want to pay him $7M/yr or you hope he goes to another team & compete for a ring... how much do you think we should have paid Matt Schaub who has consistently been a better QB than Barwin has been a pass rusher over a longer period of time?
Old 02-06-2013   #40
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Schaub played as well as we had hoped & we won the Super Bowl he'd be looking for $20M/yr like Flacco. Instead, we payed Schaub $12M/yr

How much do you think we should be paying a 12 win QB, a division champion QB, who played in the divisional round of the play offs?

He's had a 90% QBr since 2008, better than 60% completions since 2007. 4000 yards a season (even in winning seasons) or on pace for 4000 yards since the day he started for the Houston Texans.

How much do you think he should have been paid? Should we have just let him go?

Connor Barwin doesn't do crap in a contract year & you want to pay him $7M/yr or you hope he goes to another team & compete for a ring... how much do you think we should have paid Matt Schaub who has consistently been a better QB than Barwin has been a pass rusher over a longer period of time?
I couldn't care less about Schaub's QBR, his passing stats, or his pro bowls.

I see a QB that has been here for several years, wins low pressure regular season games, loses under the bright lights, and hasn't been enough of a difference to get the team to an AFC Title game, much less a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't have extended him last year. His contract wasn't up.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read