Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What is a reasonable price for Connor Barwin?
$2M/yr 24 26.09%
$3M/yr 33 35.87%
$4M/yr 26 28.26%
$5M/yr 6 6.52%
$6M/yr 2 2.17%
$7M/yr 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Reasonable price for Barwin? *UPDATE* Signed by Eagles

This is really a gauge of Richard Smith's performance. Barwin's future with the Texans will be front & center of this year's off season. Will Smith be able to land him? Or won't he? Will he have to overpay to keep him?

In order to determine if "we" overpay or not, we need to throw some numbers out there. Most fans generally try to stay away from mentioning a specific number as most fans don't know what "fair value" is or the intricacies of the salary cap.

Most likely we'll get it wrong anyway, so let's just throw a number out there & hope the aggregate will give us something to work with. It's going to be a poll, the numbers should be simple (million per year), & we'll be able to figure an average dollar amount.

Now, when we're talking about cost, the only thing that really matters is his cap number. The cap number usually changes over the career of the athlete, so, to keep it simple, we're just talking about Barwin's avg cap number over the next three years. So if you think, like I do, that Barwin should not count against the cap more than $2M/yr over the next three years, your number is $2M/yr.

If his cap number works out to be $2M/yr for 2013, $2M/yr for 2014, and $6M/yr for 2015, his average would be $3.3M/yr & I would say Smith slightly overpaid.

There are all kinds of other implications involved with a contract which would make it good/bad, but for this exercise we're just worried about his average cap number over the next three years.

So let's get started.

What is a reasonable price for Connor Barwin?
Old 02-03-2013   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reasonable price for Barwin?

OK I'll bite: I expect Barwin gets a contract that averages 4 M a year over 4 to 5 years. Now only part of that will be guaranteed of course, but the "total compensation" will average 'bout 4 M a year. And that's market prices, so that meets my definition of "reasonable".
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

He averaged 7 sacks a year the last two years . I'll look up someone in that range .
Old 02-03-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Some team will overpay for Barwin, methinks.

It's not like it would be difficult to outbid us since we're up against the cap.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
OK I'll bite: I expect Barwin gets a contract that averages 4 M a year over 4 to 5 years.
Jarret Johnson got a 4 year $19 million deal from the Chargers last year. Barwin will certainly get more than that, because he's 5 years younger. I just think he will be overpayed but some needy team. Barwin is not even the 6th best player on this defense. Not worth pursuing.
Old 02-03-2013   #6
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I think they have to consider the future when they offer whatever they offer next year to keep anyone. After his rookie deal Watt is going to get PAID. Maybe the largest contract for a defensive player EVER. If he wins D player of the year again or breaks the sack record then Marios contract will pale in comparison.

So they need to make sure they are ready for that and not blow it.

They'll never let Watt's rookie deal end, IMO. He'll get an extension beforehand, I'd say.
Old 02-03-2013   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329810 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Jarret Johnson got a 4 year $19 million deal from the Chargers last year. Barwin will certainly get more than that, because he's 5 years younger. I just think he will be overpayed but some needy team. Barwin is not even the 6th best player on this defense. Not worth pursuing.
Not disagreeing but I have to say concerned because if they do move Reed to ILB that looks like they need to acquire 2 new OLB's - one starter and one rotation/depth and that is hoping Mercilus makes a healthy 2nd year leap.
Old 02-03-2013   #8
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jarret Johnson got a 4 year $19 million deal from the Chargers last year. Barwin will certainly get more than that, because he's 5 years younger.I just think he will be overpayed but some needy team.
I agree, if anything I might have understated Barwin's market value. But where's
your vote up there, mine is the only one > 3 M a year ?
Quote:
Barwin is not even the 6th best player on this defense. Not worth pursuing.
Possibly, but next to maybe only CB, he's plays the most important position in the 3-4. Obviously it therefor commands more cap space, maybe much more cap space than other positions.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, if anything I might have understated Barwin's market value. But where's
your vote up there, mine is the only one > 3 M a year ?

Possibly, but next to maybe only CB, he's plays the most important position in the 3-4. Obviously it therefor commands more cap space, maybe much more cap space than other positions.
I didn't vote because I don't feel the Texans should make a long term investment in Barwin. I just would rather see the Texans go with Mercilus and Reed at OLB next season.
Old 02-03-2013   #10
Lucky

Quote:
Watt
Cushing
J Jo
Ninja
Manning

I don't know ... who you got at 6th?
I would pay Jackson or Quin before I invested in Barwin. And I'm not huge fans of theirs (though Jackson made big strides in 2012). I expect Mercilus to be at least as good, if not better than Barwin in 2013. And Reed and Barwin are probably a push, with Reed still on his rookie deal.
Old 02-03-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK I'll bite: I expect Barwin gets a contract that averages 4 M a year over 4 to 5 years. Now only part of that will be guaranteed of course, but the "total compensation" will average 'bout 4 M a year. And that's market prices, so that meets my definition of "reasonable".
I also voted 4, but I think he may command more than that.

Wade should go after Shaun Phillips who might be looking at his last contract.
He's been taking 5; he might go for 4 or a little less with a long term deal. ???
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

6 mil is pretty cheap nowadays for starting DE/OLB's however anything more he's a goner

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #13
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 18083 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected

The way alot of teams get burned in free agency is paying for a guys outlier performance instead of his average one.

We shouldn't pay for 2011 Conner Barwin...but someone probably will.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #14
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

what about using the franchise tag on him?
Old 02-03-2013   #15
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watt
Cushing
J Jo
Ninja
Manning

I don't know ... who you got at 6th?

I say close between Barwin and Reed?
I would rather have Jackson, Quin & possibly Reed over Barwin.

For this discussion I will say anything over four million a year and he's no longer a Texan. I think another team will possibly spend 5M for him though. Four to five million is what he will get IMO.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #16
Lucky

I looked at the upcoming free agent list for DE/3-4 OLB, and Barwin has a lot of competition. Anthony Spencer, Michael Johnson, Osi Umenyiora, Cliff Avril, Matt Shaughnessy, Paul Kruger, Shaun Phillips. Where does Barwin fit on that list? How much $$$ is really out there for these pass rushers? This might not have been the best year for Connor to test free agency.

If he doesn't get a blow your socks offer, maybe Barwin would consider a one year deal in Houston. I doubt it, but I guess there's a bigger possibility than I had originally thought.
Old 02-03-2013   #17
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12817 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted 3 mil. But honestly i hope they let him walk. His and cody's antics have grown thin. No need to mention the embarrasing "Letterman debacle". Hopefully he gets his bank i just hope it isnt here. The worlds largest hipster can shine elsewhere
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #18
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
what about using the franchise tag on him?
The franchise tage for LBs in 2012 was $8.8 million. Waaaaay too much for Barwin. I doubt the Texans have that kind of cap room, anyway.
Old 02-03-2013   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I looked at the upcoming free agent list for DE/3-4 OLB, and Barwin has a lot of competition. Anthony Spencer, Michael Johnson, Osi Umenyiora, Cliff Avril, Matt Shaughnessy, Paul Kruger, Shaun Phillips. Where does Barwin fit on that list? How much $$$ is really out there for these pass rushers? This might not have been the best year for Connor to test free agency.

If he doesn't get a blow your socks offer, maybe Barwin would consider a one year deal in Houston. I doubt it, but I guess there's a bigger possibility than I had originally thought.
I think the Cowboys just put a franchise tag on Spencer.
Is that right or is it too early to do so?
I just glanced through that piece so I wasn't sure.

I say if we can get Shaun Phillips for less, we should do it and save the cap to roll over to take care of Watt and Cushing when the time comess
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #20
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin's antics really statred to get on my nerves. I have no problem with a team wanting to have some fun, but throwing around letterman jackets for the world to see before a game against the New England Patriots is just unacceptable and it just shows that this team is not mentally ready play with the big boys of the NFL. No need to give good money to an average player with goofy looking hair.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read