Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-01-2013   #21
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl in houston has failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Who the hell wants to travel to a place like that? No thanks. LOL.
I do. I can almost taste the beignets, the seafood, the hurricanes, and any other tasties offered.

I had a great time when the Super Bowl was in Houston. Downtown was packed at night, quite the opposite from normal, and if not mistaken the metro line goal was to completed and ready for operation by Super Bowl. It was packed and required some waits. If I didn't live in Houston and nor my team playing in the game, then I wouldn't make a special trip. However, New Orleans calls for a special trip whether going to the game of not, IMHO.
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013   #22
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Yep.

My plumber gave me a PVC cutting tool that looks like pliers but with two thin blades in place of the gripper clamps that you see on pliers. You clamp down on the PVC, it locks in place, then you spin it around the pipe and it slices it through.

He told me the thugs in New Orleans use those. They knock people out cold, then use those to cut OFF the ring finger so they can get the ring and run off as quick as possible.

My wife had to be there for business conference, her and her co-workers walked out the front door of the hotel and turned to the right...the doorman said "Hey, where you going?" She replied "Going sight-seeing!" And the doorman said, "Not that way you're not. Go this way over here, and be back before dark. You go the way you're going and you won't be coming back."

Who the hell wants to travel to a place like that? No thanks. LOL.

I like traveling to NO. Let make up scary stories about people using PVC cutters to cut people's fingers off, my pvc cutter might work better as it is a ratching but the tool you mention doesnt seem well suited for cutting a persons finger off. More likely I could work faster and cleaner knocking you out and using a bottle of jerggins on your hand. That said I do think the story is either fabrication or stretched.

Houston has plenty of places that you shouldnt go or walk at night as does nearly any large city
2012Champs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #23
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Houston's bid actually fail? I thought thry hadn't voted yet.

http://www.khou.com/sports/what-are-...189469851.html
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Did Houston's bid actually fail? I thought thry hadn't voted yet.

http://www.khou.com/sports/what-are-...189469851.html
No. McNair just added Jim Baker to the bid team.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #25
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Places like Houston & DFW have drawbacks when it comes to the SB, not the least of which they are are just too spreadout. And DFW is even worse than Houston in that department since they basically had the game and SB-media headquarters in FW, but other events including many partys in the Dallas area of N.Texas. Then there's the issue about weather in North Texas - yea they have nasty, horrible weather including ice storms there some times in the winter don't they ? On the other hand Houston winters are milder with Ice Storms being unusual though not unheard of, though H-twon is also very spread out but not as bad as DFW since that's basically 2 different large cities in N.Texas.
The media seems to prefer NOLA most of all because the facilities are so concentrated which makes their job easier and many also prefer NOLA since it's the quintessential party town plus it's got such great cuisine.
And finally lots and lots of people prefer South FLA with it's great winter weather and South Beach scene.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #26
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
So basically we just need to turn the Astrodome into one giant topless bar with a lot of rental rooms, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Not a bad idea, but I don't think I'm ready to see the Eighth Wonder Of The World with a giant nipple sticking up on top.
Old 02-02-2013   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
plus it's got such great cuisine.
Houston cuisine is better and was tremendously lauded during and after the 2004 SB here.

I saw nothing but glowing reports after our SB. People are over analyzing this thinking the physical features of the city are critical. Look at the number of cities which have built a new stadium and have gotten a SB. That has become almost de facto since we came into the league - build a stadium, get a SB. Then the bidding process is basically a bribe fest. Miami won its last SB over Houston by offering every NFL owner an at least 150 ft yacht to hang out on for the week.
Old 02-02-2013   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Not a bad idea, but I don't think I'm ready to see the Eighth Wonder Of The World with a giant nipple sticking up on top.
Eight Wonder of the World needs to go. It's an eyesore, like an unwanted weed that has taken root in the parking lot of Reliant.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #29
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Houston cuisine is better and was tremendously lauded during and after the 2004 SB here.
Better than NOLA ? I dunno, but I've certainly had many great meals in Houston, while I've only been to NOLA once so I mainly go on it's reputation.
Quote:
Miami won its last SB over Houston by offering every NFL owner an at least 150 ft yacht to hang out on for the week.
It's my understand that Miami and San Fran battle it out for the 2016 SB, then it's Houston vs the loser for the 2017 game ? I just don't see Houston winning that contest vs either of those cities ? I'm a fan of Houston, but it's a business town, I personally think one of Americans greatest business cities because of its incredible entrepreneurial spirit and pristine capitalism/free-market mentality, but it's not a superior convention town or vacation destination like both Miami and San Fran are. What's the attraction, what's to see in Houston for the SB fan down there for the better part of a whole week, while there's gobs of stuff in the other 2 places ?
Old 02-02-2013   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Better than NOLA ? I dunno, but I've certainly had many great meals in Houston, while I've only been to NOLA once so I mainly go on it's reputation.
Absolutely yes. The reputation is old and was always over stated. It was relatively unique, not great - and thanks to business expenses I have eaten at all the top NOLA restaurants.

Quote:
It's my understand that Miami and San Fran battle it out for the 2016 SB, then it's Houston vs the loser for the 2017 game ? I just don't see Houston winning that contest vs either of those cities ? I'm a fan of Houston, but it's a business town, I personally think one of Americans greatest business cities because of its incredible entrepreneurial spirit and pristine capitalism/free-market mentality, but it's not a superior convention town or vacation destination like both Miami and San Fran are. What's the attraction, what's to see in Houston for the SB fan down there for the better part of a whole week, while there's gobs of stuff in the other 2 places ?
Gobs of stuff in Miami? Anyway...

You are continuing to act like this is a tourist deciding to take a vacation looking around to find pretty postcards and things to do with their family. The SB is the event. It is all week long pretty much only for people with lots of ins to the events and parties. There are hundreds of parties and events. Hugh Hefner rented out all of one of the swankier Houston hotels then had multiple parties there and in an outside pavilion location as well. For the great majority of folks this isn't "honey should we go to the SB this year? It's going to be in Miami, we could take the kids on a air boat ride, maybe sun tan a little on a 70 degree cloudy beach, and then maybe get a baby sitter who will come by at 1 am so we can go clubbing when things get going in Miami."

You're really missing the boat here. This isn't the owners getting together to judge the best tourism spots. This is all politics - bribes for new stadiums, bribes for owners. Make a cogent argument for Indy getting a SB otherwise or Jax which had to hire in cruise ships for hotel rooms.

You are fawning over SF. Know how many SB's they have hosted? - zilch. If they get one it is a buy off for getting a new stadium. It isn't for the redwoods and pizza.
Old 02-02-2013   #31
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104942 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Absolutely yes. The reputation is old and was always over stated. It was relatively unique, not great - and thanks to business expenses I have eaten at all the top NOLA restaurants.
Have you eaten at Brennan's in Houston IC? Freaking unreal how good it was.

Also when I visited NOLA I ate at a place called the Red Fish Grill and had the best catfish I've ever tasted. Definitely some top spots to eat there, as well
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Have you eaten at Brennan's in Houston IC? Freaking unreal how good it was.

Also when I visited NOLA I ate at a place called the Red Fish Grill and had the best catfish I've ever tasted. Definitely some top spots to eat there, as well
Eaten at Brennan's many times as well as Commander's Palace.

To be clear I am not deriding NOLA restaurants. There are many good ones. Have eaten and had wonderful meals at Emeril's restaurants and others. One of my favorite restaurants used to be in NOLA (every day they would do a pate kind of like Monica Pope did here when she was starting) but it kept having chefs die and shut down. I just believe overall the food quality and diversity is better in Houston.
Old 02-02-2013   #33
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:

You're really missing the boat here. This isn't the owners getting together to judge the best tourism spots. This is all politics - bribes for new stadiums, bribes for owners. Make a cogent argument for Indy getting a SB otherwise or Jax which had to hire in cruise ships for hotel rooms.

You are fawning over SF. Know how many SB's they have hosted? - zilch. If they get one it is a buy off for getting a new stadium. It isn't for the redwoods and pizza.
Indy got their game the same way Houston got its game the same way DFW got their game the same way NYC got their game and the same way it will help SF get its game - build a new stadium. Oh BTW, I know Houston had a game back in the 60s at the Rice football field, but it was not the event then, the attraction then that it is now.
And I do think a lot of the fans, 10s of thousands coming from the fan bases of the 2 competitors buy game tickets and go to the game and they do want to lay around South Beach, or play golf in the warm air of the Arizona desert in the winter, or whatever in the days leading up to the game. I think those fans have substantial input for where the game is to be played. Why else would there already be an unofficial but virtually de facto rotation of citys for the circuit of sites for the annual SB ? That is after you back-out all the one-and-done citys that got the SB because of new stadiums they built.
Old 02-02-2013   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Indy got their game the same way Houston got its game the same way DFW got their game the same way NYC got their game and the same way it will help SF get its game - build a new stadium.
Thanks Captain Obvious - I said that way up thread.

Quote:
I think those fans have substantial input for where the game is to be played.
Must be why there are on-line polls for where to hold it, but wait, no the owners decide.

Quote:
Why else would there already be an unofficial but virtually de facto rotation of citys for the circuit of sites for the annual SB ? That is after you back-out all the one-and-done citys that got the SB because of new stadiums they built.
Do you really not know? Seriously? Ask yourself how many cities you can buy alcohol in at 4 am in or buy a beer in a McDonalds at 4 am.

It is frankly stupid to think fans of the teams involved pick whether to attend based on where the SB is to be played (first off the location is picked years in advance so there is no idea about who will be in it). You would have to be a retarded amoeba to think you may have another chance to see your team in the SB.

Naw hunny, we'll skip the SB this year. It's in Houston. I am sure the Browns will be back in a few years in a much better location. Moronic.
Old 02-02-2013   #35
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston doesn't have the glamour that other cities have and it isn't a vacation destination for the states like a lot of these other cities have. The night life has really fallen off over the years. The only real thing that Houston has to brag on is their restaurants and people aren't going to choose Houston for that reason. Downtown is where people from outside of the city will check out first and our downtown is really leaving a lot to be desired especially now compared to the last time the sb came here. I don't want the sb coming back to Houston personally. Keep it away.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #36
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Houston doesn't have the glamour that other cities have and it isn't a vacation destination for the states like a lot of these other cities have. The night life has really fallen off over the years. The only real thing that Houston has to brag on is their restaurants and people aren't going to choose Houston for that reason. Downtown is where people from outside of the city will check out first and our downtown is really leaving a lot to be desired especially now compared to the last time the sb came here. I don't want the sb coming back to Houston personally. Keep it away.
I think that's an accurate assessment of Houston, which has many great features but it's not in the conversation when it comes to the most desirable destinations for a couple or they and their family to spend 3 or 4 or 5 winter days of leisure and recreation topped off by the SB football game. It's in other conversations with only a handful of select American cities in the country on different subjects, but not this one.
Old 02-02-2013   #37
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
doesent it seem just like the team refuse to make big changes its the same with the city. refusing to get the ball rolling on the astrodome and the surrounding area . is that why we never even get a look to host a Superbowl

and is it just me or is there some underhand deal with new orleans or something why do they always get Superbowls all the time and Houston gets nothing ..?????
They are still trying to help the "recovery" of New Orleans
Old 02-02-2013   #38
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104942 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
They are still trying to help the "recovery" of New Orleans
The Katrina card is so played...:
Old 02-02-2013   #39
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Eight Wonder of the World needs to go. It's an eyesore, like an unwanted weed that has taken root in the parking lot of Reliant.

This is somewhat off topic, but if they decide to demolish the Astrodome, does anyone think they will auction off the things still in the stadium?

Would anyone buy anything in there? Like a seat?

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #40
Vance87
Hall of Fame

I'd bid for something, if it wasn't too expensive. The Astrodome is a legacy. How many people watched the Oilers or Astros there for the first time?

I still have some gravel from the foul area saved in a clear box with the ticket from that day.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read