Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-31-2013   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: G in the 1st round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Then whose going to play tackle? None of our RTs shined this season. I wanted Butler to be our perminant RT but he got demoted just before his season ending injury.
Your starting RT will be Newton next season, and starting RG will be Brooks. Jones will be the future at C, and primary backup at all the interior O-line positions til then. When Newton came back from a couple games off due to injury he looked alot better than when he left, and statistically he had a pretty good season in pass protection, much better than Winston the year before. I think the game kinda overwhelmed Newton last year as it does most young players. Newton needs to improve in run blocking and I think our strength and conditioning program will take care of that. I think Newton, barring injury, will be just fine next season.

I would look for the Texans to draft an OG or OT/OG in the 3rd this season as someone to play behind W. Smith and take his job after the 2013 season. Maybe Alvin Bailey, Kyle Long, Xavier Nixon, Ricky Wagner, etc...
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Your starting RT will be Newton next season, and starting RG will be Brooks. ...
I wouldnt bet on that. I think they upgrade either RG or RT one way or another be it draft or FA. You wont see Newton next to Brooks or Jones unless there is an injury that forces their hand. Everyone from the top down realizes that the OL wasnt up to snuff this season .... they will make a move to solidify the right side - Probably at RT.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #23
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I wouldnt bet on that. I think they upgrade either RG or RT one way or another be it draft or FA. You wont see Newton next to Brooks or Jones unless there is an injury that forces their hand. Everyone from the top down realizes that the OL wasnt up to snuff this season .... they will make a move to solidify the right side - Probably at RT.

I fully expect the Texans to pick up a RT in the either FA or the draft for competition/depth purposes, but I think Newton is your starter in the first game barring injury. Unfortunately it's going to be a long time til we find out.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It is hard for me to imagine that OG could be the best player available with all the DL talent in this class. Anyway I thought it was RG the Texans needed to upgrade & depth @ OT? Duane Brown, Wade Smith & Chris Myers all made the Pro Bowl.

I also think the interior OL stepped it up in our last two play off games. Schaub was not feeling any pressure from Geno Atkins, Vince Wilfork, or any other DT in the play offs.

So I think the Texans are doing a good job there. I think Brooks and Jones are keepers & we also have Chris White who we signed to the active roster to protect him late in the season. Then we've got Caldwell.

I love the idea of BPA, so if the best player available at our pick is an OG they should definitely take that into consideration. I'd love to get another first round pick on the OL.

But, we need an outside pass rusher in a bad way as well as a legit WR. If there is a player at those positions that we think could contribute early... that's where I'd rather go with the pick. Of course I hope they do their due diligence & entertain any trade down scenarios.
Old 01-31-2013   #25
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a hard time believing a guard will be the bpa at #27
Old 01-31-2013   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Instead of grabbing the 3rd rated WR or 4th OLB or 3rd DL grab 1st G.
If the 3rd rated WR or 4th rated OLB is rated as a better player than the top rated guard, why wouldn't I take the better player seeing how I could use both a top rated WR & a top rated OLB?

Am I missing something?
Old 01-31-2013   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If the 3rd rated WR or 4th rated OLB is rated as a better player than the top rated guard, why wouldn't I take the better player seeing how I could use both a top rated WR & a top rated OLB?

Am I missing something?
yep, doesn't make alot of sense.
Old 02-03-2013   #28
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85187 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not saying 1st round but you have to think about adding depth and talent. We can all admit the OL was somewhat a problem this year. Not to mention Caldwell, Harris, and Butler are all FA's so that leaves you with....

OT
Brown
Newton
Mondek

OG
Smith
Jones
Brooks

C
Myers
White

Mondek and White are both PS level players right now. That leaves you with Brown and Newton at OT and no depth. OG is good with Smith, Jones, and Brooks but you still need depth. I wouldn't be surprised if we bring Harris back but I think Butler and Caldwell are gone.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I have a hard time believing a guard will be the bpa at #27
If Cooper is there, (Doubtful) you take him. If Wafford is there at 27, you think long and hard and probably pick a WR like Rodgers or Williams.

I really like Wafford more than Cooper in a power blocking scheme.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read