Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-29-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default G in the 1st round?

Instead of grabbing the 3rd rated WR or 4th OLB or 3rd DL grab 1st G.

Last year the number 1 rated G David DeCastro slipped all the way to the PIT the 24th pick. If the #1 rated G slipped to HOU would you guys support the pick?

Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
Height: 6-3. Weight: 320.

COMPARES TO: Will Shields, OG, Kansas City Chiefs -- Let's be clear, no incoming rookie truly deserves comparison to a first ballot Hall of Famer, but Warmack is a rare prospect. While perhaps a tad shorter than ideal, Warmack uses his natural leverage advantage to consistently get under the pads of his opponents, driving them off of the ball in the running game and anchoring in pass protection. His lateral agility and balance make him effective getting to and blocking at the second level and handling quicker pass rushers, as well.

STRENGTHS: Warmack is considerably lighter on his feet than one would expect given his stout frame, and is adept at meeting and eliminating linebackers at the second level.

In pass protection, Warmack does a nice job of supplying an initial punch and grasping hold of his opponent, showing good lateral agility to slide as well as the anchor to handle powerful bull-rushers.

Warmack is equally effective when asked to drive defensive tackles off the ball or beat linebackers to the action at the second level.

WEAKNESSES: Due to his lack of height, Warmack may lack the position versatility of his more recognizable linemates Barrett Jones and D.J. Fluker, but he is further along in his development than Fluker and, frankly, makes more eye-popping blocks than Jones. Size means that he'll be relegated strictly to interior blocking in the NFL.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: G in the 1st round?

If Warmack is the best guy on the board then you take him, OG or not.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If it means we can save a few million by cutting Wade Smith, then sure. We could use that money, coupled with Walter's savings to get a true #2 WR.
Old 01-29-2013   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you think Newton is the guy at RT; otherwise, I think we can use the pick at another position.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I would go Jonathan Cooper before Warmack if I were going G. Fits our system better IMO.
Old 01-29-2013   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we've got to many other team holes to worry about OG in the 1st round but if we did it seems to me the Texans favor athleticism and speed in their O-linemen and instead of looking for a true OG, I'd look at an OT that can also play OG. OT's are usually a little taller and more athletic than a true OG and faster to the second level of blocking. I'd look at Lane Johnson, Oday Aboushi, or Dallas Thomas in the 2nd. If I did look at OG in the 1st it would be Jonathan Cooper who I think is very athletic.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think we've got to many other team holes to worry about OG in the 1st round but if we did it seems to me the Texans favor athleticism and speed in their O-linemen and instead of looking for a true OG, I'd look at an OT that can also play OG. OT's are usually a little taller and more athletic than a true OG and faster to the second level of blocking. I'd look at Lane Johnson, Oday Aboushi, or Dallas Thomas in the 2nd. If I did look at OG in the 1st it would be Jonathan Cooper who I think is very athletic.
Alabama runs a zone system, their offense is actually pretty comparable to ours, and Warmack was pretty dominant this past year.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2013   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't looked at him, will do though. I wouldve taken zeitler in the first round last year. I thought he was a better player than decastro and easily better than konz who everyone was hyping.

If this guy looks like close to the player that zeitler was then I'll be on board.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just watched some clips of him against lsu. He's super athletic for a guy that size, but he doesn't play as heavy as I'd like. He wasn't mauling guys in the run game. And their offense is just like ours for who ever said he wouldn't fit. I liked zeitler coming out more last year because he played like he had lead in his helmet and in his gloves. He mauled people coming off the line.

This guys potential is high though. He'd be a perfect fit for this system but I'd lime to see him play with more thump. His feet, quickness and all around athleticsm are first round worthy for sure. I wouldn't be mad with picking him at all.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #10
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not taking a guard in the first unless he's versatile enough to play right tackle. And if this guard isn't a nasty pit bull SOB type that brings a bully mentality to the team...I dont want him. If you use a 1 on a guard he better bring everything to the table.
Old 01-30-2013   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

It is hard for me to imagine that OG could be the best player available with all the DL talent in this class. Anyway I thought it was RG the Texans needed to upgrade & depth @ OT? Duane Brown, Wade Smith & Chris Myers all made the Pro Bowl.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #12
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we are drafting G on 1st rd. If T, it will be a little more possibility but still looking at our starting line up on O side, it is unlikely. We are more than likely to be drafting D side in the 1st rd and maybe 2nd as well if we are not drafting WR in the first two rds.

We switched 4-3 to 3-4 two seasons ago and Wade only had 2012 draft to fix our D to 3-4 and likely he will need a little more bodies on D side and this is why I think we will go D in the 1st rd if not for WR.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

There could easily be two guards off the board by the time the Texans pick.

I think Warmack might go as high as #10 to the Hillbilly's. He's going to anchor an OL for a decade or more.

I could see Cooper being taken anywhere from #22 to the Rams on.

Right now Im looking at four guys with the Texans first pick - Kawann Short , Alec Ogletree , D.J. Fluker and Kevin Minter (all of which could be gone by 27).
If Warmack is still on the board at #27 , I'd have to seriously consider making him the pick over any of those players.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Warmack best fit is to play LG. OF course he can play RG but generally teams don't draft those early at least top 15 unless they have a big hole to fill. Cooper seems a little more versatile but still he is a guard typically taken in the 20's.

I think best course for Texans is to beef up DL in first with bpa. Then if a guy drops into 2nd who they grade highly, move up to draft him. I really like Earl Warford, Kentucky. Talk about sand in the pants. He is a franchise RG (if there is such a thing) w/+ value too, this way you upgrade both trenches with starting talent & become more physical.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #15
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see Warmack dropping to 27. I don't know much about Cooper.

There are a ton of good guards in this draft so it isn't necessary to take one in the first round. David Quessenberry (San Jose) shined at the Senior Bowl and will probably be a OG in the NFL. Larry Warford (Kentucky), Hugh Thorton (Illini) and Bryan Winters (Kent State) all looked good at the Senior Bowl as well.

Another thought would be to take a tackle and move Newton inside.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Warmack best fit is to play LG. OF course he can play RG but generally teams don't draft those early at least top 15 unless they have a big hole to fill. Cooper seems a little more versatile but still he is a guard typically taken in the 20's.

I think best course for Texans is to beef up DL in first with bpa. Then if a guy drops into 2nd who they grade highly, move up to draft him. I really like Earl Warford, Kentucky. Talk about sand in the pants. He is a franchise RG (if there is such a thing) w/+ value too, this way you upgrade both trenches with starting talent & become more physical.

Ive really warmed up to Short ... If he's still there at 27 still want a WR in the 2nd then we can look at ILB , S and OG with those two 3rd rounders.

Still have to see how FA plays out , maybe they fill one of those spots there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I can't see Warmack dropping to 27. I don't know much about Cooper.

There are a ton of good guards in this draft so it isn't necessary to take one in the first round. David Quessenberry (San Jose) shined at the Senior Bowl and will probably be a OG in the NFL. Larry Warford (Kentucky), Hugh Thorton (Illini) and Bryan Winters (Kent State) all looked good at the Senior Bowl as well.

Another thought would be to take a tackle and move Newton inside.
I dont like that idea at all .... I'd rather he be the swing tackle.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't scream NO!! but if I were going to draft an OG, it would be Alvin Bailey in 3rd & may be avail in 4th. He is not only taller but switch from LG to RG frequently during games. We need a NT and WR before OG.

Also, think Brooks will start RG. I think I'd pass on drafting a G until 2014 to replace Smith.
Old 01-30-2013   #18
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Im ok with expecting newton, brooks, or jones to improve drastically this year. I'd plan for no ol draft picks before the 4th round...but if the right player comes around ya never know. I have lots of research yet to do...but my knee jerk reaction to ol in the first right now would probably be "damn."
Old 01-30-2013   #19
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont like that idea at all .... I'd rather he be the swing tackle.
Then whose going to play tackle? None of our RTs shined this season. I wanted Butler to be our perminant RT but he got demoted just before his season ending injury.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #20
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Then whose going to play tackle? None of our RTs shined this season. I wanted Butler to be our perminant RT but he got demoted just before his season ending injury.
I think he puts the priority on rt vs rg...and i tend to agree. If newton, butler dont work out at tackle i think theyre suitable at rg (in combination with jones.) It's harder to find a tackle then a guard...hence the op questioning your response to guard in the first.

If you draft a guard in the first he'd better be all world or your proportioning your money wrong imo. If you get a guard in the first round he needs to be the guy you run behind on 3rd and 1.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read