Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you think we could have beat the Ravens?
Yes 52 55.32%
No 42 44.68%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2013   #41
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you think we could have beat the Ravens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I said as much in a different thread. The Ravens we beat in October were not the same Ravens that dismantled the Patriots last Sunday.

The Texans that put up forty on the Ravens in October was no where to be found in January.

Do you think we could have beat the Ravens?
Could? Maybe.

Would have? Seriously doubt it.

We have some growing to do. I'm looking at the NFLN replay of the AFCC game now. Two things are standing out: 1. The effectiveness of the Ravens' spread offense in running and passing against the Pats' defense. 2. how the Ravens made being the ball carrier - whether it was a RB or WR - a very painful experience.
1) Losing Love and Talib hurt the Patriots.

2) Getting Cush back is a great start to help us improve in this area.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #42
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

optimism is great.
Old 01-26-2013   #43
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans match up well against the Ravens. So anything is possible. If we had a healthy Brian Cushing, I think we could have beaten anybody, including the Patriots and Broncos on the road -- which we technically did defeat Peyton Manning on the road before he was lost for the season back in Week 2.

Brian Cushing is our version of Ray Lewis in his prime. His loss was monumental. He's one of the few players we simply can't replace. J.J. Watt and Andre Johnson are probably the other two. We don't have a pro bowl caliber player at those positions other than the main guy at the top of the depth chart.

You take away any of those three players I mentioned and we quite possibly become a 6-10 type of team. Certainly the type of team who lost three out of their last four games and struggled in the playoffs. And mind you, we could have lost another two or three games without Cushing. The games against the Lions and Jaguars near Thanksgiving time were losses if not for a couple of lucky plays.
Old 01-26-2013   #44
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

If we would have won vs the Patriots.....i think we would have had a good shot at a win. Homefield would have been huge......crazy and loud as hell.....I think we matchup well with them......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #45
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
If we would have won vs the Patriots.....i think we would have had a good shot at a win. Homefield would have been huge......crazy and loud as hell.....I think we matchup well with them......
Rens are a good road team
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #46
SCOTTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

We have always found a way to dominate the ravens or make it a close game the past 2 yrs against them. We know what we have to do to be effective against them, so i have to go with yes we would have beat the ravens w/ homefield adv in the playoffs

Its the dominant QBs that we cant seem to find the game plan to be effective....
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #47
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we will never know we screwed that up by losing to the colts and Minny

do we play the ravens next year ..?????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #48
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1022 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Not that I want to do the coulda, woulda, shoulda thing. I'm really going for a feel of the team kind of thing... trying to see where your confidence is with this team.

So the question is if Baltimore played like they played Sunday, could our team have beat them?

Try not to make it anymore complicated than it has to be, yes or no.

Anything is possible. Houston could of done it and they could of loss. 50/50
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTexans View Post
We have always found a way to dominate the ravens or make it a close game the past 2 yrs against them. We know what we have to do to be effective against them, so i have to go with yes we would have beat the ravens w/ homefield adv in the playoffs
I think there are at least three tiers of teams in the NFL. The bad, the good, & the elite.

It took us a while to where we can consistently beat the bad teams. Right now, I think we'll be favored to win against the "good" teams, but a win isn't guaranteed.

& we're just "competitive" against the Elite teams. Luckily, there are only so many elite teams. The Patriots is definitely one of them. They are on a whole other level than we are & we've got to get that figured out.

We're going to play Baltimore, New England, & Denver in 2013. I give us a 50/50 chance of beating Baltimore & Denver. 30/70 chance of beating New England.

The same thing will be true next season as it was in the play offs. Our run game & our defense is going to have to step up & play at a high level to give our offense a chance to win the game, OR.. New England is going to have to be off their game.

It's the same, I think, for Baltimore & Denver. They will have to bring their run game & their defense to beat New England to win. That's the only difference between New England's game against us & Baltimore. Baltimore's run game showed up. Baltimore's defense showed up.

Not taking anything away from Flacco, he was/is better than Schaub in 2012's play offs. His big throws down the field probably opened it up for Ray Rice. Their ability to score TDs definitely helped their defense stay aggressive. But bottom line, their run game showed up, their defense showed up.

We'll never beat New England if our run game & defense do not show up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read