Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-29-2013   #41
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks to move to ILB

Do we plan on bringing back Dobbins? I'm a fan of his, he's nice depth.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #42
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

This puts the 4 best backers on the field at the same time (assuming we resign kramer.) Reed was good at setting the edge but not as explosive as mercy in pass rush. I dont think reed will be worse then bradie james in coverage and he's got the anchor to hold up well in the middle. This reshuffling improves the pass rush and improves interior run defense. We'll see how mercy holds the edge...if this happens, we have a need for olb depth that wasn't there.
Old 01-29-2013   #43
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally posted by Corrosion

I hate morons.
And you consider me a friend???
Old 01-29-2013   #44
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Re-signing Barwin is the right move. The salary cap ensures that no team can afford awesomeness at every position, and the best time to sign one of those "good enough within the system" players is right after he has a down year. Sign him while his market value is low, have him shed 15 pounds, and it'd be a pretty good deal for the team.

Also, Reed is the strongest pound-for-pound player on the team, so it'll be interesting seeing how well he stops the run. And he has great acceleration for stunted blitzes.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #45
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I don't remember where I heard this, but it was probably on the radio and they said that most of Barwin's 11 sacks from 2011 were sort of "fluky". Honestly, I don't remember his performance from 2011 and that maybe a clue as well that maybe he was never really that good. He plays a premium position and he's not terrible, so he'll get some offers for sure. I just hope the Texans don't overextend themselves on Barwin.
The same could easily be said about mario's sacks from that season, as well as many other seasons to be honest, & yet some hold him in high regards. Mario was extremely overrated, IMO, & he normally needed a clear advantage to even sniff a sack. Hardly the game changer, similar to Watt, that many falsely claimed he was. So that knock on Barwin by most in Houston is quite laughable after all the unearned attention Mario received.

Considering Barwin set a franchise record for sacks in 1 game w/ 4 & accumulated most of his sacks in the remaining 10 games when he took over Mario's position I would say his 2011 was quite memorable...at least it was to me. I think Barwin still has plenty of potential & 2 seasons is hardly enough for us to know what he is truly capable of IMO.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #46
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Psst, this isn't news...I've been doing this on Madden all year...

Barwin
Cushing
Brooks
Mercilus

All about putting the best players on the field...

If the Texans FO had half a brain, they would have done this at the beginning of this year when they traded Ryans to Philly. Then when Cushing went down, could have slid Books over and let James play where Brooks was...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #47
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

If Brooks moves into ILB, its going to make us really weak at OLB.

Whitney Mercilus
Connor Barwin
Jesse Nading

Nading has a lot of energy but isn't a starter or even 2nd string backup. Barwin had a terrible year. Mercilus had a good rookie season but he can't do it all by himself.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #48
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
If Brooks moves into ILB, its going to make us really weak at OLB.

Whitney Mercilus
Connor Barwin
Jesse Nading

Nading has a lot of energy but isn't a starter or even 2nd string backup. Barwin had a terrible year. Mercilus had a good rookie season but he can't do it all by himself.
We got Braman too.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #49
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
Do we plan on bringing back Dobbins? I'm a fan of his, he's nice depth.
I would hope they bring back Dobbins or Ruud over Bradie James. If they move Reed it seems that Sharpton will be the backup at ILB. Dobbins is decent on special teams & we all know that needs all the help it can get.
Old 01-30-2013   #50
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Clearly moving Brooks inside is more about his inability to perform up to what Wade is looking for in his OLB and less about his ability as an ILB.
There was talk of, and possibly intention to, play him in the middle since he was drafted.

I have posted about it before.
Quote:
Herring also talked about Reed’s “linebacker body.”

“That’s where people get discombobulated with him,” Herring said. “Look, he’s 6-2½, 250. The fact that he was playing with his hand in the dirt (the three-point stance of a defensive end) in college turned him into a ‘tweener’ to some people. But he was always a ‘Mike’ linebacker to us. Half the teams in the draft wanted him bad, and the other half didn’t think he could (make the transition). We were in the half that saw the upside potential. He’s still projecting and growing as a player. The sky’s the limit.”
He's got the athleticism that we need, but it should be interesting to see if he has the "bulk" to live up to the pounding. I'd love to see this move paired with the drafting of a guy like John Jenkins. It'd really transform what's been a big weakness for our defense (i.e. the middle).
Old 01-30-2013   #51
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
There was talk of, and possibly intention to, play him in the middle since he was drafted.

I have posted about it before.

He's got the athleticism that we need, but it should be interesting to see if he has the "bulk" to live up to the pounding. I'd love to see this move paired with the drafting of a guy like John Jenkins. It'd really transform what's been a big weakness for our defense (i.e. the middle).
I'm not sure this is an issue. Reed is listed at 250lbs which is slightly heavier then Cushing at 248lbs. I think Reed could prosper in the middle because he his good tackler & should be able to hold his ground & make plays going against interior lineman or FB's. Cushing & Reed in the middle looks very solid imo.

I do hope they address the NT w/ a big body similar to Jenkins, but not necessarily Jenkins. I wasn't too impressed w/ him watching the Senior Bowl practices & games. He seems to lack a consistent motor & at times seems to go through the motions as opposed to going all out. A big body is a must imo. Unfortunately, based on Wade's history I'm not sure he will feel the same.
Old 01-30-2013   #52
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not overly concerned about Reed in coverage versus him being capable of making quick reads from the inside and learning to attack from that downhill angle. It's not a totally easy conversion which is why some (including myself) were against the move DURING the season. It's not an easy jump to do it during the progressing year. Now going into offseason where he gets a chance to attune himself to it more fully, study film and get the time/attention from the coaches it is more understandable.

Coverage wise our linebackers graded out like this:

Brian Cushing - 3.1
Tim Dobbins - 2.8
Brooks Reed - 1.7

So yeah Brooks was actually one of our better backers in coverage. Oh and he was our HIGHEST graded linebacker against the run. Yeah even higher than Cushing in that aspect though we're talking two different pursuit/attack angles and facing different type of block/blockers. Would be interesting if he could keep that up from the inside but for some reason that holds no explanation what so ever since there is little proof....I think he can.

Question becomes how do they feel about Braman? Do they think he is ready to be more than just a special teams guy? Would be interesting to find out.

But this defense needs something at ILB. Wade was overly dependant on the sub/dime packages where he would use a safety as if it was a linebacker and that killed us in games. Teams would spread out knowing Wade would skip a nickle package for the sub and run right at that safety and *sighs* James. We know the result of that. But if we have two ILB's athletic enough maybe we can rely on nickle more and not be so handicapped against spread formations.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #53
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Like Brooks to ILB, but why would anyone want Barwin's gimp ass back. He was a zero basically all season. What did he do to deserve to be resigned? Held the edge against the run? Big deal. Find a guy who can rush a passer when not unblocked who can also hold the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
The same could easily be said about mario's sacks from that season, as well as many other seasons to be honest, & yet some hold him in high regards. Mario was extremely overrated, IMO, & he normally needed a clear advantage to even sniff a sack. Hardly the game changer, similar to Watt, that many falsely claimed he was. So that knock on Barwin by most in Houston is quite laughable after all the unearned attention Mario received.

Considering Barwin set a franchise record for sacks in 1 game w/ 4 & accumulated most of his sacks in the remaining 10 games when he took over Mario's position I would say his 2011 was quite memorable...at least it was to me. I think Barwin still has plenty of potential & 2 seasons is hardly enough for us to know what he is truly capable of IMO.
Except like 7 of them were unblocked. He didn't get that luxury this year and his numbers plummeted. He is exactly like Mario in that respect. Need the stars to align to be useful. I remember watching the first Ravens game last year and he was unblocked maybe 5 times and never got there. He had a fluke 10 games and thats it.
Old 01-30-2013   #54
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
I'm not overly concerned about Reed in coverage versus him being capable of making quick reads from the inside and learning to attack from that downhill angle. It's not a totally easy conversion which is why some (including myself) were against the move DURING the season. It's not an easy jump to do it during the progressing year. Now going into offseason where he gets a chance to attune himself to it more fully, study film and get the time/attention from the coaches it is more understandable.

Coverage wise our linebackers graded out like this:

Brian Cushing - 3.1
Tim Dobbins - 2.8
Brooks Reed - 1.7

So yeah Brooks was actually one of our better backers in coverage. Oh and he was our HIGHEST graded linebacker against the run. Yeah even higher than Cushing in that aspect though we're talking two different pursuit/attack angles and facing different type of block/blockers. Would be interesting if he could keep that up from the inside but for some reason that holds no explanation what so ever since there is little proof....I think he can.

Question becomes how do they feel about Braman? Do they think he is ready to be more than just a special teams guy? Would be interesting to find out.

But this defense needs something at ILB. Wade was overly dependant on the sub/dime packages where he would use a safety as if it was a linebacker and that killed us in games. Teams would spread out knowing Wade would skip a nickle package for the sub and run right at that safety and *sighs* James. We know the result of that. But if we have two ILB's athletic enough maybe we can rely on nickle more and not be so handicapped against spread formations.
Even if they are willing to give Braman a serious look, which I wouldnt mind seeing, I still believe they will draft another OLB w/in the 2nd to 4th rd. They've always wanted at least 3 solid edge rushers & outside of Braman there isn't much to choose from. I'll be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans acquire yet another Cowturd player if Barwin is not re-signed. With Victor Butler & Anthony Spencer becoming FA's I wouldn't put it past ol' Wade to bring in another cowturd who is familiar w/ his system. Butler could be a cheap alternative & we know wade loves his ex-players.

It seems the Sharpton project could be coming to an end w/ this potential move as he could never stay healthy & now be nothing more then solid depth at ILB. Which I would take Sharpton over James any day.
Old 01-30-2013   #55
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Like Brooks to ILB, but why would anyone want Barwin's gimp ass back. He was a zero basically all season. What did he do to deserve to be resigned? Held the edge against the run? Big deal. Find a guy who can rush a passer when not unblocked who can also hold the edge.
I guess its safe to say you were saying the same thing about Cushing after his slump in his 2nd season as a starter as well?

Barwin has potential & showed it 2011. Players do have down years & to be honest most of the Texans defense had a down year in 2012. Assuming he his a bust after 1 bad season is a bit premature. For the right price bring him back. No need to over pay as there are other options, but assuming he did nothing & offers nothing is false. That mindset is exactly what got this team in some trouble when they assumed they could do w/out Winston, Briesel, & Ryans imo.

Last edited by tru80texan; 01-30-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2013   #56
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72577 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I mentioned this potential move months ago , long before people were talking about moving Bawrin inside (which I think is a horrible idea) .... I think he instantly upgrades the position and he does have the ability to cover as he had to do it as an OLB. To be honest , I think he's a much better fit inside than out.

I can see him inside even of they dont resign Barwin.

This does open up the possibility for another OLB to be drafted early along with a guy on the front be it NT/DT/DE. This draft will be really interesting.
Yep,

It lowers the priority in the draft. But the need for 1-2 pass rushers remains.

I still want Rick/Wade to pick a ILB in the 4-5th rd. They should be able to find a good depth player.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #57
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Ok here is the plan every one make sign Wallace threads only for now on till FO gets the point lol
Dont want to derail this thread but not sure why you are so interestd in Mike Wallace. The dude's specialty is speed and the deep ball. Our QB has a noodle arm that underthrows every deep ball he attempts. Would not make sense to spend big money on a WR like Wallace unless we ditch Schaub and replace with a stronger arm...which we all know aint happening.
Old 01-30-2013   #58
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep,

It lowers the priority in the draft. But the need for 1-2 pass rushers remains.

I still want Rick/Wade to pick a ILB in the 4-5th rd. They should be able to find a good depth player.
I wouldn't be surprised if they took ILB between rounds 2 & 4. Moving Reed & drafting a solid player would be good insurance if they have issues re-signing Cushing. You never know how contract negotiations will pan out, if at all, & setting themselves up like did w/ Mercilus would make some sense imo.
Old 01-30-2013   #59
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I guess its safe to say you were saying the same thing about Cushing after his slump in his 2nd season as a starter as well?

Barwin has potential & showed it 2011. Players do have down years & to be honest most of the Texans defense had a down year in 2012. Assuming he his a bust after 1 bad season is a bit premature.
One down year or one year with a ton of untouched sacks and 3 the next season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Lance Z. has said on a couple occassions that Barwin lead the league in untouched sacks with 7 in 2011. Claims that most of these were from a particular stunt that the Texans used well 2011 that team figured out in 2012.

short answer..2011 may have been the fraud season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

there are some similarities to Cushing, both former DE's in College & BC seems to fit right inside. However, he lacks skill set is in coverage's, teams would game plan to attack him with RB/TE's. I would prefer to seem him #1 get healthy #2 go on a strict weight loss diet #3 work on speed & quickness. Unless Texans draft another edge rusher, all they have would be him & Whitney.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read