Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-29-2013   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brooks to move to ILB

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=10129

PDS ‏@PatDStat
So LZ is using a source saying that Reed will bump inside if they resign Barwin. #Texans

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
We just had @nfldraftscout on from radio row and he told us his sources indicated that Texans considering moving Brooks Reed inside

Barwin OLB Resign
Brooks ILB
Cushing ILB
Mercilus OLB

If this is the case. Wade is putting all our our rushers on field at same time so Offenses don't know where blitzer is coming from. Plus I am thinking this means HOU finally targets a new NT. Coaches can't be thinking the pass rush will suddenly be better with same personal.
Barwin OLB Resign
Brooks ILB
Cushing ILB
Mercilus OLB
Watt
Smith
Rookie? or FA? at NT

Last edited by srrono; 01-29-2013 at 04:40 PM.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks to move to ILB

Interesting.

You know LZ father is back coaching in the NFL again.

Former Steelers, Browns coach Larry Zierlein to join Bruce Arians staff as asst. offensive line coach
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmmm...not sure about Brooks at ILB, but honestly not thrilled at all about potentially re-signing Barwin. That dude never really showed up this year.

Does Brooks have coverage ability required at ILB in this system?
Old 01-29-2013   #4
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Heh, ironically, it is what I did in Madden for my second season with the Texans.

Some saw this coming and I can see why the Texans might do it if they resign Barwin. Reed is good against the run and decent in coverage. His pass rush...well, that left something to be desired. If he could get the reads down he could be a benefit inside and give the defense some flexibility in blitz packages too. One of the issues I felt we had was over reliant on sub/dime packages where we had one backer and used a safety as a pseudo LB. But if we have two ILB's actually capable of being halfway good in coverage like Cush and Reed we could use nickle more.

Course remains to be seen how it all plays out. Barwin should come at a reasonable price but it would mean Mercilus needs to pick it up and be that edge rusher we need since Barwin's rushing abilities are still unknown. Good one moment and then you're wondering if he is still on roster.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

So why are some unnamed draft scout's unnamed multiple sources better than the beloved LZ?
Old 01-29-2013   #6
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming this does happen, it takes away the need to draft an ILB first round, so we could potentially focus on WR, OT, or another position where depth is needed.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #7
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Brooks to move to ILB

i like it. i like the effort.

i never understood the whole brooks cant play ILB because he was a converted olb from de from college crowd.

This is something bill belicheck would do. I really like the effort. Kubiak finally has the balls to think outside the box and show some risk.

Kubiak's conservative mentality has been slowly contaminating the fanbase where you see them so reluctant to move away from kevin walter, move away from matt schaub etc...

Finally some gumption to try something different, take some risk, by kubiak.

It might not work, but I really like the effort. Im all for it and see if it works.

You will never know unless you try.

This is so bill belichikian. I like it. I really do.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2013   #8
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
PDS ‏@PatDStat
So LZ is using a source saying that Reed will bump inside if they resign Barwin. #Texans

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
We just had @nfldraftscout on from radio row and he told us his sources indicated that Texans considering moving Brooks Reed inside

Barwin OLB Resign
Brooks ILB
Cushing ILB
Mercilus OLB

If this is the case. Wade is putting all our our rushers on field at same time so Offenses don't know where blitzer is coming from. Plus I am thinking this means HOU finally targets a new NT. Coaches can't be thinking the pass rush will suddenly be better with same personal.
Barwin OLB Resign
Brooks ILB
Cushing ILB
Mercilus OLB
Watt
Smith
Rookie? or FA? at NT

Several of us in the mock forum have been saying this for months. Shift Reed to ILB next to Cush, resign Barwin and start him as SOLB and make Mercilus the WOLB.

Hmm...Texans front office seems to be reading the Texans Talk Draft Gurus!!!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #9
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
i like it. i like the effort.

i never understood the whole brooks cant play ILB because he was a converted olb from de from college crowd.

This is something bill belicheck would do. I really like the effort. Kubiak finally has the balls to think outside the box and show some risk.

Kubiak's conservative mentality has been slowly contaminating the fanbase where you see them so reluctant to move away from kevin walter, move away from matt schaub etc...

Finally some gumption to try something different, take some risk, by kubiak.

It might not work, but I really like the effort. Im all for it and see if it works.

You will never know unless you try.

This is so bill belichikian. I like it. I really do.
First, LOL if you think Gary had ANYTHING to do with this

2nd, this is a great move but IMO you can add olb to our list of needs even if we resign barwin.....still need a legit 3rd rusher to rotate in there

Not to mention NT is still a big need
Old 01-29-2013   #10
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Several of us in the mock forum have been saying this for months. Shift Reed to ILB next to Cush, resign Barwin and start him as SOLB and make Mercilus the WOLB.

Hmm...Texans front office seems to be reading the Texans Talk Draft Gurus!!!
Ok here is the plan every one make sign Wallace threads only for now on till FO gets the point lol
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #11
Jules Winnfield
BMF

Rep Power: 1227 Jules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respectedJules Winnfield is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: Brooks to move to ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
First, LOL if you think Gary had ANYTHING to do with this

2nd, this is a great move but IMO you can add olb to our list of needs even if we resign barwin.....still need a legit 3rd rusher to rotate in there

Not to mention NT is still a big need

yeaaa because he's a head coach so it wouldnt be up to him right?

smdh....
Old 01-29-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am mocking ILB in 4th and an OLB at one of our fifths and that will not change based on re-signing Barwin or moving Reed. If Barwin is here next year, it opens another area of focus on Kubiak's decisions.
Old 01-29-2013   #13
Jules Winnfield
BMF

why do you guys want to resign barwin?

WTH is up with you guys giving extensions to players who are not performing?
this is what im talking about. Kubiak and schaub contaminating the fan base.
yeaaa he's funny and has goofy hair lets give him an extension even though he sucked. yeaa lets keep walter as #2 reciever because he blocks good.

This team and now this fan base has no accountability whatsoever.

It sickens me.
Old 01-29-2013   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Assuming this does happen, it takes away the need to draft an ILB first round, so we could potentially focus on WR, OT, or another position where depth is needed.
DT. We have to get better in the middle. Brooks reed is a start but we have to upgrade Mitchell and Cody. They really got pushed around this year. We need someone that can not only hold their ground but push the pocket back.

You find a guy that can do that and it transforms this defense imediantly to elite status. No more double teaming Watt. LBs can now come up clean and our outside pass rushers get more sacks and cause more turnovers because the QB can't step up in the pocket.

Star Latui, Jonathan Hankins, kawaan short and John Jenkins should all be at the top of our draft board.
Old 01-29-2013   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
why do you guys want to resign barwin?

WTH is up with you guys giving extensions to players who are not performing?
this is what im talking about. Kubiak and schaub contaminating the fan base.
yeaaa he's funny and has goofy hair lets give him an extension even though he sucked. yeaa lets keep walter as #2 reciever because he blocks good.

This team and now this fan base has no accountability whatsoever.

It sickens me.
We need jackets for the new draft picks coming in
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Clearly moving Brooks inside is more about his inability to perform up to what Wade is looking for in his OLB and less about his ability as an ILB.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

In all seriousness. I am ok with Barwin coming back. He knows the system.

Last year, I don't know why he didn't show up. Hm or reed. Could it be missing Demeco and Cushing? idk.

But as usual it is the game of how much will it take to bring him back. I believe the Texans have much more leverage than in the past. We dot ave to over pay to bring players in now. If Barwin wants too much money, I would honk the Texans would say " hit he road"
Old 01-29-2013   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Clearly moving Brooks inside is more about his inability to perform up to what Wade is looking for in his OLB and less about his ability as an ILB.
Clearly it isn't.
Old 01-29-2013   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
In all seriousness. I am ok with Barwin coming back. He knows the system.

Last year, I don't know why he didn't show up. Hm or reed. Could it be missing Demeco and Cushing? idk. "
Because we were so weak up the middle. No push. It's not rocket science.
Old 01-29-2013   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Interesting from earlier this year. Maybe if the rumor is true. Wade might have a change of mind or this is more smoke screen as the draft approaches on who the Texans target

Quote:
With Brian Cushing now on injured reserve, many fans are wondering if the Texans will move one of their top three outside linebackers – Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed or rookie Whitney Mercilus – to inside linebacker.

They won’t.

Asked Thursday if he had given any thought to that idea, Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips responded with a resounding “no” – before the question was even completely finished being asked.

That’s because they’re not inside linebackers, right?

“That’s right,” Phillips said as he walked through the Texans’ locker room at Reliant Stadium.

Simple as that?

“Yeah,” Phillips said. “You don’t take guys that do well at what they do and try to change ‘em into something that they’re not as adept at. But, we’ll work some things out. And like I’ve said, we played OK last week when Cush was gone. Hopefully, we’ll get better.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...7-49e00b4d4bfc

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read