Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2013   #21
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans earning respect of their peers at Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
2010 doesn't prove anything for Schaub.. Schaub was just on the wagon that was being pulled by the work horses. 2010 was when we still had Vonta Leach and was the season of Foster Debut where he had 1,616 rushing yards and 18 TDs
So are you suggesting a better fullback, and OL, can get us back to being a good red zone team? Because those pieces are alot easier to replace than a QB.

Quote:
Scoring TDs only 54.9% of the time in the red zone is mediocre and not good enough.. it needs to go up if we're going to end up playing after the probowl... and as of right now in Schaub's tenure here we've only had one season were we were a top red zone team.. When Foster was having one of the greatest rushing seasons for a RB. If that's what it's going to take for this team and Schaub to have more success in the red zone, then we need to start looking for his replacement.
Depends how you look at it. Are we a defensive or offensive team? In other words, are we the type of team that relies on our defense to make stops, or our offense to outscore the other team? If we are an offensive team, then I agree, we need to get better at QB.

In regards to red zone TD efficiency, we were just as good as the 49ers. The top two teams in red zone efficiency last season were the Packers and Saints... we made it just as far as the Packers, and even farther than the Saints. Heck, half the teams that had better RZ efficiency than us didn't even make playoffs. In other words, RZ efficiency isn't the end all be all.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I haven't given up on these Texans yet. Sure, this season was a failure; a disappointment.

But I'm over it. Can't wait to see what they do next year.
Old 01-27-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Scoring TDs only 54.9% of the time in the red zone is mediocre and not good enough.. it needs to go up
I'd like for our scoring to improve from all areas of the field. Once we get near the 30, I think we should be taking shots at the endzone.

But I'd also like to score from their 40, 45, 50.... our 45, 40, 35, 30, 20,

I want more big plays. Big scoring plays.
Old 01-27-2013   #24
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm still up in the air with Kubiak so I'll leave him out of this..

However, I would prefer a step back if it led to a bigger step forward. The worst thing that can ever happen in sports is being stuck in mediocrity dying a slow agonizing death. That was the Rockets for the longest time and it killed me, but they made a big move with the James Harden trade and hopefully it'll be the big move that starts to pull them out of the mediocrity zone.

The Astros flat out suck, that's something nobody will argue about, but it doesn't bother me. I'm willing to let them suck and hopefully all that sucking will lead to us drafting some future star players (See Wash. Nats) and we can restock our farm system.

So in short, if we had a wheel fail off the wagon season that made us start looking for another QB, I wouldn't be cheering (I never cheer for my teams to lose), but I wouldn't exactly shed a tear either. Hell look what the Colts got out of their fall on their face season.
Are we stuck in mediocrity though? We just made it to the 2nd round of playoffs 2 seasons in a row. That means 24 teams finished worse than us. We are in the top quarter of the league. If we were stuck in the middle for a few seasons... like the Eagles, Cowboys or Chargers, then I'd fully agree with you.
Old 01-27-2013   #25
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Are we stuck in mediocrity though?
We just made it to the 2nd round of playoffs 2 seasons in a row. That means 24 teams finished worse than us. We are in the top quarter of the league. If we were stuck in the middle for a few seasons... like the Eagles, Cowboys or Chargers, then I'd fully agree with you.
The second half collapse took a lot of shine off our early season success with me. Even the wins we had in the second half were worrisome, mainly the Lions game and the Jags game. It goes back to the whole expectations thing and the reason why this was a failed season imo. It's time to step up and play with the big boys. I can take a loss to a top team as long as you're competitive, but getting blown out three times to top teams in unacceptable for any team that considers itself a "contender".
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #26
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The second half collapse took a lot of shine off our early season success with me. Even the wins we had in the second half were worrisome, mainly the Lions game and the Jags game. It goes back to the whole expectations thing and the reason why this was a failed season imo. It's time to step up and play with the big boys. I can take a loss to a top team as long as you're competitive, but getting blown out three times to top teams in unacceptable for any team that considers itself a "contender".
the second half collapse was 5-3

we also blew out the afc's sb participant. we're not that far away
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
Feel good story, but if I had the chance to go on an expense paid trip to Hawaii with some of my buds like that I'd take it.

Lot of Negative Nancy running around in the comments section though, you'd think we just came off of 2-14 again.
Brother, you should know better than reading "comments", no??
Old 01-27-2013   #28
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
the second half collapse was 5-3

we also blew out the afc's sb participant. we're not that far away
The 49ers lost to the Rams, just saying. (speaking of the 49ers, they made a QB change after making to the NFC Championship game with Smith. If Schaub took Kubiak to the AFC Championship he would be so loyal that you would never even know who Colin Kaepernick is, if he was on this team

The Ravens took that big loss and took their play to another level. We took our first blowout loss, responded against the Ravens and then went into a funk and tail spanned out of HFA. That is a leadership issue with me... coming from either the QB (who played like hammered crap during that stretch) or the coaches. (I still don't see how you throw a challenge for too many players on the field and lose.. that was something I never saw before). Being far away or not isn't really the point. I'm saying even if we're close, that is as close as we're going to get until those issues are handled. Until we handle those issues we're stuck below a glass ceiling.
Old 01-27-2013   #29
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yah, I see your point. But I'm still more optimistic than you are. I don't think we're that far away.

How is it that every thread somehow migrates to this same topic?
Old 01-27-2013   #30
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
So many Pro Bowlers on offense. How did we get so bad in the red zone down the stretch? Frustrating.
I blame the playcalling above all else.
Old 01-27-2013   #31
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Yah, I see your point. But I'm still more optimistic than you are. I don't think we're that far away.

How is it that every thread somehow migrates to this same topic?
I haven't been on this board very much since the loss. I had to take a break and decompress. I missed all those posts.
Old 01-27-2013   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton takes 4 plays to punch it in from red zone.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #33
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Schaub with another stupid pass into double coverage.
Old 01-27-2013   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The 49ers lost to the Rams, just saying. (speaking of the 49ers, they made a QB change after making to the NFC Championship game with Smith. If Schaub took Kubiak to the AFC Championship he would be so loyal that you would never even know who Colin Kaepernick is, if he was on this team

The Ravens took that big loss and took their play to another level. We took our first blowout loss, responded against the Ravens and then went into a funk and tail spanned out of HFA. That is a leadership issue with me... coming from either the QB (who played like hammered crap during that stretch) or the coaches. (I still don't see how you throw a challenge for too many players on the field and lose.. that was something I never saw before). Being far away or not isn't really the point. I'm saying even if we're close, that is as close as we're going to get until those issues are handled. Until we handle those issues we're stuck below a glass ceiling.
SB contender = LOL

Has anybody looked at the many holes on this team?

They need a really good draft to atleast fill some of the holes. Gary has already had his sleep apnes surgery, so hopefully he can find time to make it to the combine to personally scout/interview the players. Unlike past yrs.

We've seen what the draft turns into when Rick is left alone at the combine. 6-10 anybody?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #35
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
SB contender = LOL

Has anybody looked at the many holes on this team?

They need a really good draft to at least fill some of the holes. Gary has already had his sleep apnes surgery, so hopefully he can find time to make it to the combine to personally scout/interview the players. Unlike past yrs.

We've seen what the draft turns into when Rick is left alone at the combine. 6-10 anybody?
Every team has holes, which is why QB play is so important today like no other time in the history of the league. Good QB play can cover a lot of holes. I think the Brad Johnson days and Trent Dilfer days are over. Alex Smith was way better than both of those guys and he got benched for a guy who was basically a rookie with greater playmaking potential. I just don't think Schaub is that guy who'll be able to take us where we need to go.
Old 01-27-2013   #36
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they were some worrisome then why did you start a thread after that game and call everyone a bunch of cry babies who complained about the team's performance or questioned anything??

Quote:

I go out of town for thanksgiving, come back and see a whole bunch of threads of people just crying. Newsflash people, your team wasn't going to go 16-0 and I highly doubt they'll go 15-1.. which they're still on pace to pull off BTW. For the love of god, man up, suck up the tears and stop crying. In case anybody paid attention or not, the Texans won.

And before the "yeah buts" come in.. who gives a crap, how many times was Houston on the other side of that coin for almost a decade when they faced good teams? We're 10-1 and have managed to win two close games in overtime when we were tested. There is nothing to cry about.. at least not to this extent. Eat your leftover turkey and stop crying. If you want something to actually whine about, snap back to 2005.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Babies

Seems a bit hypocritical Carr Bombed. You acted like there was nothing to even worry about on that day from what I remember. Now you're acting like it was some major game that changed the dynamics of things. I don't see how you of anyone can bring these games up at all.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #37
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If they were some worrisome then why did you start a thread after that game and call everyone a bunch of cry babies who complained about the team's performance or questioned anything??

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Babies

Seems a bit hypocritical Carr Bombed. You acted like there was nothing to even worry about on that day from what I remember. Now you're acting like it was some major game that changed the dynamics of things. I don't see how you of anyone can bring these games up at all.
What the hell? You really just pulled up a thread months old?

Since when can people not change their mind??? Dp you even know the history of my handle? I wasn't always "Carr Bombed". I wanted to do just what you're doing now... walk around with my head in a dark stinky place ignoring the obvious. I wanted to believe as well, that doesn't mean I have to latch on to a sinking ship just because I unplugged my head and opened up my eyes.

You didn't pull up anything that was "hypocritical", all you did was pull up something from the past from someone who has had a change of opinion about (the QB of) his team. I do have a right to change my opinion don't I? You could go back in time and pull up posts from multiple posters who have changed their opinion on different topics. The fact that I made that thread just proves that no matter what I say, I'm a fan and root for my team and want the best for my team, but that doesn't mean I have to keep towing the company line when things become blatantly obvious to me. I have no problem admitting being wrong, but that also means I don't have to stay on one side, am cemented to one opinion, just because a thread was submitted into the Texanstalk memory bank. Your little "Gotcha post" reeks of desperation.. a hell of a LOT has changed since November.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 01-28-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2013   #38
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Back to the OP. Are the Texans really gaining respect when its the Texans talking about how others respect the Texans? Doesn't that seem like it needs to be taken w/ a grain of salt. I think I would be more impressed w/ players from OTHER teams talking about who they respected from the Texans as opposed to the Texans patting themselves on the back. Give me a quote from P.Manning talking about Watt or Champ Bailey talking about Andre over the Texan players claiming that others respect them despite none being quoted as saying such. Just saying...
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013   #39
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
Yeah, I guess we should never raise expectations for the Texans.
Okay, my expectations have been raised. Now what?

From this perch, it sure seems like higher expectations can lead to bigger disappointments...

Quote:
expectations plural of ex·pec·ta·tion (Noun):
Noun
1.A strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future.
2.A belief that someone will or should achieve something.
"Expectations" sure seems like a whole bunch of blind faith when applied to something that you have absolutely no power to control.

To be quite honest, I'm not going to expect a damn thing except to be entertained. Living vicariously through an entertainment medium is a dangerous endeavor in that potentially leads to shallow thinking and bitter disappointment.

I'd rather keep my football viewing firmly where it belongs: entertaining me as a rather pointless diversion.
Old 01-28-2013   #40
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Okay, my expectations have been raised. Now what?

From this perch, it sure seems like higher expectations can lead to bigger disappointments
I was just saying I'm not satisfied with just getting to the divisional round.

So what if I'm disappointed, I'm a fan it's what I do.

Quote:
I'd rather keep my football viewing firmly where it belongs: entertaining me as a rather pointless diversion.

I understand what you're saying but it's not like I'm at home sick because the Texans lost. Life goes on.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read