Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-26-2013   #1
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How does the playbook change with a more mobile quarterback?

If the Houston Texans had a young mobile quarterback like Robert Griffin III, Colin Kaepernick or Cam Newton, how would Gary Kubiak utilize them into his offensive system? Would we be able to run a variation of the Pistol Offense like the Redskins do? The Redskins run the same offense as we do except they throw in a few extra wrinkles to better suit their athletic quarterback.

Let's just say the Houston Texans are lucky enough to draft Johnny Manziel from Texas A&M in a few years (Johnny Football is the type of mobile quarterback I'm talking about), would his impact and leadership skills be enough to save Gary Kubiak's job? How can we play a more exciting brand of offensive football than the same boring and predictable offense we see week after week with slow-footed Matt Schaub under center?

It seems like Kubiak is tied down to this "sink or swim" mentality with Matt Schaub and rightfully so. He brought him in here but that was back before the 2007 season started. Six years later and it's almost time for us to be looking for our next savior at the position. Which in today's game will likely have to be somebody who can not only pass in the pocket but have the ability to run for big yardage as well. Today's young quarterback has to have the threat of picking up a third-down conversion with his legs, adding that extra element of surprise that opposing defenses have to game plan for. Even the best pass rushers struggle to stop an athletic quarterback who's a threat to run.

It's sort of scary to think the Indianapolis Colts have Andrew Luck situated in place for the next decade and we're not quite as lucky at the moment. And mind you, Luck is very much a mobile quarterback even if he's viewed as a pocket passer. At the NFL combine, Luck posted some incredible stats that were on par with both Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III.

Now granted, if we're lucky enough to draft Johnny Manziel in a few years, trading up for him and not necessarily being awful enough to pick number one overall, that can instantly change our franchise outlook. But right now we don't have a quarterback of the future. Schaub is aging and Yates isn't good enough to lead us into the next decade. I don't think Case Keenum is a future NFL starter either. At best, I see a career third-stringer in Keenum. Good local kid who the Texans should always keep as a third-string, league minimum paid QB but nothing more.

Without a long-term quarterback, I don't see Gary Kubiak staying our head coach for much longer. At least not past 2016 if he's unable to snag a franchise quarterback during the next three drafts.
Old 01-26-2013   #2
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How does the playbook change with a more mobile quarterback?

You mean a boot leg / play action fake that forces backside contain and threatens a 3rd and 1 scramble by the qb with a chance for success? You mean threatening the defense north and south instead of just east and west with any other qb who would surely have a stronger arm? Blasphemy!
Old 01-26-2013   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown slot left, sprint right. The catch. Montana to Dwight Clark.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #4
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be a homer but i'm still a little butthurt that we took Tj Yates over Tyrod Taylor.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Almost none. Kubiak has worked with three much more mobile QB's - Young, Elway and Plummer. Unless by mobile you mean running then the playbook wouldn't change much only the outcome of some plays.
Old 01-26-2013   #6
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's problem is not only slow feet. He just seems unable to will his team to victory like other elite quarterbacks. The other top QB's (Brady, the Mannings, et al) aren't fast of foot either. They win consistently and don't crumble under pressure as Schaub did in the last five games of the year. I predicted two or three years ago that Schaub would never take us to the promised land and I stand by that prediction.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #7
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
Schaub's problem is not only slow feet. He just seems unable to will his team to victory like other elite quarterbacks. The other top QB's (Brady, the Mannings, et al) aren't fast of foot either. They win consistently and don't crumble under pressure as Schaub did in the last five games of the year. I predicted two or three years ago that Schaub would never take us to the promised land and I stand by that prediction.
This belongs in the other 15 "Schaub Sucks" threads.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Pistol formations,
Read options,
Big hits on your QB,
Reconstructive surgery,

Pocket passer.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #9
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Which is why I believe Manziel would be wasted in our system... though while we're on the topic of athletic QBs EJ Manuel caught my eye at the senior bowl. It definitely looked like he stepped it up a notch.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #10
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Pistol formations,
Read options,
Big hits on your QB,
Reconstructive surgery,

Pocket passer.
I dont think anyones asking for the next mike vick. I'd be thrilled with a qb who can pass down field competently and runs a 40 time less then a decade.
Old 01-26-2013   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe it's even necessary to go overhaul the offense to somehow get the QB running every other down. I just think that having a QB who can realistically pull it down and take off, and does every now and then when the opportunity presents itself will by itself change the way the offense is defended and in that way create more opportunities for the offense. I know that when Matt is flushed out of the pocket he's going to throw it away. Matt knows he's going to throw it away and Gary knows he's going to throw it away. Every damn lineman on our offense knows it too and they know that if they don't hold then the play is D.O.A. You know the defenses know it because the good ones have become adept at snuffing out our drives by doing it.

Don't try and find Michael Vick II but find someone who can rip off a decent run when the defense has everyone covered but screws up containment on you. Make them pay for it in yards and first downs and the way they defend our offense will change.

Matt isn't going to do that and even if he could I don't know if Gary would even encourage it. I just don't know. When his players screw up Gary's the first guy to say "He was trying to make a play" and he sure doesn't sound all that mad at them for trying but at the same time Matt throws that ball away so fast now that it almost feels like it has been drilled into his head not to get hurt, not to turn the ball over. He throws it away on reflex now and to me that looks like he's following orders.

I always go back in my mind to that Oakland game and Matt not trying to run the ball in to win the game. Yes, it's entirely questionable whether he'd have even gotten there. I know that. At the same time I remember how he wasn't about to even try on that play. The guy was rooted to the damned ground. Now was that because he wasn't capable of making it and he knew it or was it because trying to go get it was outside the box for him in that situation?

I want the Texans to put a QB on the field who can take advantage of an opening like that and who is allowed to try when he thinks he can make a play. Matt can't run worth a damn and Gary seems to know it. That's tough to cover up for an entire season.
Old 01-26-2013   #12
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

A couple years ago, I distinctly remember Kubiak encouraging Schaub to run for more first downs. It was at the beginning of the year.

Obviously, it's not in Schaub's makeup.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
If the Houston Texans had a young mobile quarterback like Robert Griffin III, Colin Kaepernick or Cam Newton, how would Gary Kubiak utilize them into his offensive system? Would we be able to run a variation of the Pistol Offense like the Redskins do? The Redskins run the same offense as we do except they throw in a few extra wrinkles to better suit their athletic quarterback.

Let's just say the Houston Texans are lucky enough to draft Johnny Manziel from Texas A&M in a few years (Johnny Football is the type of mobile quarterback I'm talking about), would his impact and leadership skills be enough to save Gary Kubiak's job?
Wow..... you're all over the place, I don't think you know what you are asking for. Johnny Football has had an amazing season, still a little early to put him in the same category as RG3, Kaepernick, & Newton. Those guys are among the elite College QBs of our time & have accomplished quite a bit at that level. Manziel has the opportunity to accomplish as much in his career, and he's off to a good start. But odds are against him having such a college career, much less be successful in the NFL.

& I think you're tipping your hand a little when you say, "if we're lucky enough."

Anyway, it is not unusual for an "athletic" QB to have a "successful" rookie season. We saw Vince Young record several wins, but fail to follow up his sophomore season & crack under pressure.

Cam Newton threw for darn near 4,000 yards but couldn't win more than 7 games.

Michael Vick earned $100M a year removed from prison & followed it up with one of the worst years ever by a QB.

The league will figure him out. 1 guy can't beat 53.

Tweaking an offense is about compensating for a QBs mental shortcomings. They're not up to speed, they don't know/understand NFL defenses, & they don't have a feel for the 11 guys (like Ed Reed) on the other side of the ball.

They will not be asking RG3 to run the ball as often as he is now 3 years from now. If he can't produce at that time without running, he'll be out of the NFL in 6.

However, RG3, Kaepernick, Wilson, and to a lesser extent, Andrew Luck appear to have what it takes to be successful from the pocket. They need to work on being able to produce from the pocket at a high level, like Matt Schaub.
Old 01-26-2013   #14
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
However, RG3, Kaepernick, Wilson, and to a lesser extent, Andrew Luck appear to have what it takes to be successful from the pocket. They need to work on being able to produce from the pocket at a high level, like Matt Schaub.
Can't tell if a joke or not...
Old 01-26-2013   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post

Definitely one of those moments when I read it.

Old 01-26-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Are you saying Matt has never produced at a high level?

The Zone Read & the Pistol offense isn't the future of the NFL.
Old 01-26-2013   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, Schuab in the Denver/Kubiak system is the guy who does not fit. With all of the bootlegs, rolls and play action a quicker QB with at least average mobility is the norm. The Denver system comes straight from the 80s 49ers with Montana, Young, Elway, Plummer. Even guys like cutler and Greise were at least average runners.

Link to how direct Shanny/kubes are to bill walsh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaching_tree
Old 01-27-2013   #18
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 132284 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to have a qb that could at the very least extend a play after the D gets thru the OL. Schaub is the only player I can remember that looks like he runs faster going backwards than forwards. Of course even on those rare occasion where he manages to wobble backwards far enough all he does is throw the ball away instead of drawing the defense forward and finding a receiver. That probably diesnt change the playbook but adds a dimension that the offense should have and which as we've seen would have helped.
Old 01-27-2013   #19
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the play book is fine and can stay as is, its the execution of the plays being called that gets an added dimension. You have to account for a qb who can scramble for positive yards and can out run dline men. Especially with our naked boot, that would be deadly if a qb took of with corners and safeties having their backs turned
Old 01-27-2013   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I dont think anyones asking for the next mike vick. I'd be thrilled with a qb who can pass down field competently and runs a 40 time less then a decade.
Yep. Schaub needs a bigger arm, not faster feet imo. (I hope his foot is stable, though.)

AFC guys were Peyton, Brady, Flacco. No speedsters there.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read