Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2013   #81
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

This thread isn't about Mario, don't bring up that over rated, over paid, under achieving loser into this thread.
Old 01-24-2013   #82
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I think both smith guys will be gone. I like antonio,but they drafted crick and in situational football,mitchell can play snaps there. The texans have to be very careful wen dealing with 30+ yr old solid players. If it were me and I. Didn't have a cap charge, I would cut daniels,smith,smith,let cody go. They need money for cushing,quinn,and maybe even barwin. In thi draft alone,there are a few 5 techniques in this draft like goodman of clemson and jones of ucla. The texans can go jenkins 1st,goodman 2nd,thomas 3rd,and king in the 4th.
30 years old is definitely an issue with "speed" guys. "Power" guys like Antonio, I don't think 30 is an issue.

In addition to Crick, we've also got Tim Jamison who was coming along great before he got hurt.
Old 01-24-2013   #83
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Do you think we'd have gotten more than a third round pick for him? If the speculation is correct, we'll get a compensatory third for him.
No, to be honest. His contract was garbage w/ no guarantee for the team acquiring. Would've been a dumb move for any team imo. If his contract was manageable then someone may have given a 3rd because obviously the Bills overestimated his worth, but its hard to say. I'll be honest, I will be surprised if the Texans get 3rd round comp for him. I'm seeing a 4th at best. I do agree w/ the sentiment that he is an overpaid, overrated diva. Letting Mario walk is probably the best move Smith has made during his time here imo. I'm just glad the salary cap assisted, or forced, him w/ the decision.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #84
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Do you think we'd have gotten more than a third round pick for him? If the speculation is correct, we'll get a compensatory third for him.
We also would have had about 18 million to sign maybe Briesel, Dreessen, or Winston or keep Demeco or picking up a FA. Freeing up the salary cap was just as important as what we might have gotten for him.
Look at the Jets shopping Revis and I think their FO is a joke, but at least they see the writing on the wall.

Last edited by gafftop; 01-25-2013 at 04:01 PM.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #85
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
The 1.3 million is part of what he restructured in 2011. The team converted 3.9 million of his 2011 salary into signing bonus, thus prorating it over 3 years. That 1.3 million in 2013 has already been paid to him and is guaranteed to hit the cap next year regardless of what happens to him. The only money on his deal that can be adjusted is the 6 million in salary, which is not guaranteed.

Reference:

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...on-2081486.php

This was all part of the effort to fit JJo and Manning into the cap.
So then if the Texans cut Smith, they will incur $3.8M in dead money, yet still has very little room to find a replacement ($6M), but with a total of $9.8M in cap charge just the same.

He most likely comes back for at least another year to finish out his contract
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #86
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So then if the Texans cut Smith, they will incur $3.8M in dead money, yet still has very little room to find a replacement ($6M), but with a total of $9.8M in cap charge just the same.

He most likely comes back for at least another year to finish out his contract
Where is your 9.8M number coming from? If 3.8M is dead money then the difference is 2.2M freed up in salary cap money because his salary is 6M. That would put them at a little over 15M in salary cap space. Then you potentially add another 3M if Walter is let go & the Texans are sitting around 18M which is where the Titans & Jags are also roughly sitting.

I'm not a salary cap guru & frankly I hate trying to figure it out,but this is how I'm seeing it concerning Smith. Am I missing something?
Old 01-26-2013   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Where is your 9.8M number coming from? If 3.8M is dead money then the difference is 2.2M freed up in salary cap money because his salary is 6M. That would put them at a little over 15M in salary cap space. Then you potentially add another 3M if Walter is let go & the Texans are sitting around 18M which is where the Titans & Jags are also roughly sitting.

I'm not a salary cap guru & frankly I hate trying to figure it out,but this is how I'm seeing it concerning Smith. Am I missing something?
Base = 6
Pro-rated signing bonus (original contract) = 2.5
Pro-rated restructuring bonus (from 2011) = 1.3

Total cap hit in 2013 = 6+2.5+1.3 = 9.8M

This is according to spotrac (a website that keeps tract of all NFL contracts, salaries, and cap figures.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #88
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Base = 6
Pro-rated signing bonus (original contract) = 2.5
Pro-rated restructuring bonus (from 2011) = 1.3

Total cap hit in 2013 = 6+2.5+1.3 = 9.8M

This is according to spotrac (a website that keeps tract of all NFL contracts, salaries, and cap figures.
Ok, so that's what I was thinking. His 6M base salary is not guaranteed if he is cut. Im pretty that is what I've been reading concerning him. So the 3.8M does stay regardless, but the difference by freeing up the remaining of his 6M is 2.2M.

So cutting Smith would result in: 6M( base salary not guaranteed) - 3.8M( pro-rated signing bonus/ dead money)= 2.2M salary cap space

Not a huge savings, but none the less a savings IF they feel Crick or Jamison can step into his role & produce. Who knows, but after last season I don't think he or too many others for that matter are off limits.
Old 01-27-2013   #89
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans can draft Datone Jones, 6-4 280 UCLA to learn NFL ropes from Ninja one year before he becomes free agent http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...02#post2116802

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read