Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2013   #61
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8871 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Time to replace Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
OMG! This is ridiculous!!!!! Please describe the kind of players you want to add "AROUND" Schaub and then explain how he (SCHAUB) is going to be able to utilize them. He already has three of the best weapons of any offense in the NFL and he has a FB that is as versatile and has as good of play making ability as any other FB in the league. (Don't even bring up his drop in the playoff game)

You want to replace Walter fine. Im ok with that. But if you think that player is going to make a huge difference you are crazy.
Agree 100%. Matt is Matt. His skill set does not allow him to utilize top talent. How many times has Matt under thrown AJ. How many times has Matt missed seeing the open receiver. We are not even taking into consideration the plays they are unable to call because Matt cannot even make the throw.

Must get the Defense better. I think with Ms as qb the only way this team goes deep in playoff or even make the playoffs next year is with a better D. It seems to me that early in the season when the Texans were producing points the D was creating short fields for the Offense.

Walter should have been gone last year. MS should not have been extended. Who do you blame Gary or Rick? Should be the GM if we had a real GM.

Last edited by gafftop; 01-23-2013 at 09:09 AM.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #62
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6986 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I like about KW is that he is pretty consistent.

Never really has big injury problems and always puts up at least decent numbers.

Could we do better? Yes and I am all for it if we can get someone in who is better.

Could we do worse? Yes.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #63
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8871 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If he signs for vet minimum, I don't mind keeping him around. Even then, I would be worried that he keeps them from upgrading the position entirely.
What would be the vet minimum for Walter? If around 1.5 I would agree.
Old 01-25-2013   #64
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
What would be the vet minimum for Walter? If around 1.5 I would agree.
$820k.
Old 01-25-2013   #65
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
$820k.
I think for that amount I would definitely keep him.
thanks
Old 01-25-2013   #66
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kevin Walter is literally clogging up the WR situation both on the roster and from a scheme standpoint. He has to be schemed open and ofers little ability to turn a short pass into a longer gain. also, as long as he is here he is going to take up snaps that players who have a shot to get better should be getting.
Old 01-25-2013   #67
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Kevin Walter is literally clogging up the WR situation both on the roster and from a scheme standpoint. He has to be schemed open and ofers little ability to turn a short pass into a longer gain. also, as long as he is here he is going to take up snaps that players who have a shot to get better should be getting.
Exactly. It is about more than just his salary. It's about roster space especially since Kubes generally goes 5 receivers. It's about taking snaps from developing players. Plus...what the heck does he give you anyway? As another thread illustrated by linking an article from PFF, Walter is one of the lower yards per route ran in the league. He just doesn't offer much to remain on the roster honestly.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #68
gafftop
Hall of Fame

I hear you. I hope the coaching staff has the sense to use him as a backup but if not then they probably don't have the sense to get rid of him either. I just think at 1 mill he is worht it to have on the team.
Old 01-25-2013   #69
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 10276 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans continue to utilize Walter I don't fault Walter for putting on the pads and jersey and hitting the field as he does. The problem is not and has never been Walter.

The problem is either a. The Texans are unwilling to bring in a true #2, or b. The Texans have brought in WRs hoping for a true #2 to develop, but the WRs haven't made their way to that level yet. I must say I am extremely disappointed that Lestar Jean didn't have a much bigger impact this season!
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #70
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I wouldn't mind Walter being WR depth.

I still think that he could serve a purpose on short routes making possession type catches when we need TD's or First downs...

I don't understand how Kubiak chooses to use players though, so I'd guess that's a pipe dream.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTx11 View Post
I must say I am extremely disappointed that Lestar Jean didn't have a much bigger impact this season!
Who knows? Most likely it was Kubiak's puckering sphincter than kept Jean off the field. Maybe he'll feel more comfortable with him next year.
Old 01-25-2013   #72
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTx11 View Post
If the Texans continue to utilize Walter I don't fault Walter for putting on the pads and jersey and hitting the field as he does. The problem is not and has never been Walter.

The problem is either a. The Texans are unwilling to bring in a true #2, or b. The Texans have brought in WRs hoping for a true #2 to develop, but the WRs haven't made their way to that level yet. I must say I am extremely disappointed that Lestar Jean didn't have a much bigger impact this season!
You & me both. I had high hopes for Jean this season. It seems Martin was the only one getting any kinda of look early in the season. Jean had his knee issue, but never seemed to get going or in the mix after he recovered. Once kubiak moved on from Martin he slid straight to Posey. I think Jean has potential & will be looking for him. Hopefully he will get a true opportunity as opposed to a handful of plays w/ most of them w/ him just run blocking.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #73
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Who knows? Most likely it was Kubiak's puckering sphincter than kept Jean off the field. Maybe he'll feel more comfortable with him next year.
Not if he can't learn to get free at the LOS.
Old 01-26-2013   #74
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

While I agree that Walter isn't the best #2 and we need an upgrade, I think he's back next year in a necessary evil sort of way. Posey won't be back in time for the season, Martin is barely a #3 in the slot, and Jean is or should be on the bubble of making the team. If we select a really good WR in the 1st round, someone with lots of potential for the future, then maybe we cut Walter in the offseason but that's a stretch. I just don't see a rookie being able to step up and learn our offense and the NFL well enough to take over at #2WR from day 1. WR much like CB takes a couple years to translate from college to the NFL.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 01-26-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
While I agree that Walter isn't the best #2 and we need an upgrade, I think he's back next year in a necessary evil sort of way. Posey won't be back in time for the season, Martin is barely a #3 in the slot, and Jean is or should be on the bubble of making the team. If we select a really good WR in the 1st round, someone with lots of potential for the future, then maybe we cut Walter in the offseason but that's a stretch. I just don't see a rookie being able to step up and learn our offense and the NFL well enough to take over at #2WR from day 1. WR much like CB takes a couple years to translate from college to the NFL.
Good points, but Walter isn't a #2, he only plays one on TV. Making it easier to be replaced by LeStar, Martin, or a really talented rookie with Great hands.

Hopefully we'll bring in two capable WRs & it becomes a roster spot problem. I don't mind keeping KDub if he earns a spot through open competition.
Old 01-26-2013   #76
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good points, but Walter isn't a #2, he only plays one on TV...
I'm not a number 2 receiver but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.
Old 01-30-2013   #77
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 67652 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Foster had 40 receptions for a little over 200 yds , he was no dynamic weapon in the passing game, at least not this season.

Don't get me wrong, OD had a good year and is still a solid player but he hasn't looked the same to me since he blew his knee out in 09, doesn't have the YAC ability or get the separation he used to.

He didn't even get significant snaps until week 13. Still made more plays than Walter the last 5 games of the season (including playoffs).
Foster has 160 receptions and 1500 yards over the last three years. The decision not to utilize him as much this year MAY have been the need to save him for the rushing load he needed to carry because Ben Tate couldn't stay healthy.

And did you notice that he had 15 receptions, 100 yards and a TD in the two playoff games? Foster's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield is NOT one of the problems on this team.

As far as OD goes, this was his best season in four years, second best of his career, and he set a career high in TD catches. His YAC was 5.5 whereas 5.6 is his career average. He has only had two seasons when it was 6.0 or higher. Again, it wasn't Gronk-like stats, but statistically this will go down as one of his best years.

With Schaub throwing every third ball Andre's way because he wasn't good in his progressions, there is no way in hell any other receiver is going to have more than 60-65 receptions.

As with Foster, OD is not the reason the passing game is not dynamic.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #78
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lot of servicable f/agent this upcoming year in Free agency.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read