Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013   #61
amazing80
Site Contributor
 
amazing80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Elkhron, WI
Section: my couch
Posts: 1,511
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
$6M base, $1.3M in roster and/or incentive bonus.
$2.5M on top is the prorated signing bonus when he first signed the contract.

He already restructured, losing some of the value of his original contract.

Basically, he already gave the Texans a discount.
so if we extend him, only the 2.5 would stay.

So if we did 3 years 12 mil, with 6 mil signing bonus youd have (hed actually get 12.5 this season, but not all of that is against the cap)

4 + 2.5 + 2, saving a million and keeping him another 3 years while lowering his hit the next 2 seasons, correct?
__________________
amazing80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,451
Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
so if we extend him, only the 2.5 would stay.

So if we did 3 years 12 mil, with 6 mil signing bonus youd have (hed actually get 12.5 this season, but not all of that is against the cap)

4 + 2.5 + 2, saving a million and keeping him another 3 years while lowering his hit the next 2 seasons, correct?
Unfortunately, that's not going to work.

As per last year, there were 24 D-linemen who earned more than the 7.1 per annum that Smith was making (not counting 34 OLB.)

4 more guys made slightly less than him but still at or above the $7M threshold.

And there were a ton of them making more than $6M.

Base on that going rate, I think a 3-yr deal is probably in the 7.1, 6.5, 6 range at the minimum. That is he will probably get paid about $6.5M per year.

You just can't find a FA with that caliber for cheaper.

There's a temporary saving in cap space to restructure his contract (taking into account that we still have the $2.5 signing bonus in the book.)

Let's say we give him a new 3-yr contract at $19.5 ($4.5M restructuring bonus and $5M base salary per yr.)

Add the $2.5 to the $4.5, we have $7M that need to be prorated over 3 years for $2.333M per annum.

His cap hit for each of the next 3 years would be $5+$2.333= $7.333

Instead of $9.6M, we only need to deal with $7.333; therefore, we will have an extra $2.267M to use (kicking the can down the road.)

So I guess that can be done; but I doubt there's any more we can do.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,451
Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Wait a minute, as I reread your post, it seems like you were offering an $18M contract for 3 years, which is only $1.5M lower than what I think need to happen.

Your calculation for cap space, I think, is just a bit off.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #64
gafftop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 56
Posts: 1,751
Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Keep him. At least he has heart.
The one we shold have traded/dumped was Mario if we could have saved 18 million his last year.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #65
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 7,611
Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Why do people continuously post about how we should basically trade any player that has any value in the last year of their contract? You can't just push a button and a trade magically happens, somebody has to want to take on that $18m contract AND give up something of value to get him (most of the time in the form of draft picks).

In fact, I don't even think the idea of trading Mario Williams came up until after 2011 was already finished and a bunch of Captain Hindsight's start running around this board talking about how we should've traded Mario before 2011 and blah blah blah.
__________________
\_(ツ)_/
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #66
gafftop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 56
Posts: 1,751
Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Why do people continuously post about how we should basically trade any player that has any value in the last year of their contract? You can't just push a button and a trade magically happens, somebody has to want to take on that $18m contract AND give up something of value to get him (most of the time in the form of draft picks).

In fact, I don't even think the idea of trading Mario Williams came up until after 2011 was already finished and a bunch of Captain Hindsight's start running around this board talking about how we should've traded Mario before 2011 and blah blah blah.
04-19-2011 #131
gafftop
Hall of Fame


Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 54
Posts: 1,277
Rep Power: 1843 The Mario Issue, Let's look at it in another way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simplified possible Mario outcomes next season:
1. Plays good when healthy but has some type of nagging injury as last two years
2. Does not adapt to 3-4.
3. Plays great in his contract year

In 1 we get probably nothing or do we get compensation because we do not sign as we did with Dunta. Last pick in draft. LOL

In 2 same as 1

In 3, do you want to give Mario say 20+ million for the next 5 years based on his last year of performance. Say the cap is 120 million. If you divide in half, half for offense and half for defense, do you really want to give Mario 33% of all money for defense? I sure don't. DO YOU?

In reality probably no player is worth that large of % of cap. Maybe Peyton or Brady etc QBs of that caliber may be the only position that warrants that and even then it is a crap shoot because of injury.

The above is why I think IF you can get a good deal in a trade this year you do it.

It is very likely that other teams view Mario in the same way and will give nothing for him this year. I don't know. But if there are teams out that that covet him I think it should seriously be considered by the Texans.

I don't think Aso is a good deal based on reasoning above.
Just my opinion.

Wrong
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #67
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 7,611
Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
04-19-2011 #131
gafftop
Hall of Fame


Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 54
Posts: 1,277
Rep Power: 1843 The Mario Issue, Let's look at it in another way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simplified possible Mario outcomes next season:
1. Plays good when healthy but has some type of nagging injury as last two years
2. Does not adapt to 3-4.
3. Plays great in his contract year

In 1 we get probably nothing or do we get compensation because we do not sign as we did with Dunta. Last pick in draft. LOL

In 2 same as 1

In 3, do you want to give Mario say 20+ million for the next 5 years based on his last year of performance. Say the cap is 120 million. If you divide in half, half for offense and half for defense, do you really want to give Mario 33% of all money for defense? I sure don't. DO YOU?

In reality probably no player is worth that large of % of cap. Maybe Peyton or Brady etc QBs of that caliber may be the only position that warrants that and even then it is a crap shoot because of injury.

The above is why I think IF you can get a good deal in a trade this year you do it.

It is very likely that other teams view Mario in the same way and will give nothing for him this year. I don't know. But if there are teams out that that covet him I think it should seriously be considered by the Texans.

I don't think Aso is a good deal based on reasoning above.
Just my opinion.

Wrong
Even then you're still having to qualify this statement with the gigantic IF that we need to get a good deal which was at best, a crackpot idea. Go ahead and show off your prowess of things that would never happen and didn't happen and weren't a good idea at the time. It's pretty funny.

EDIT You coming in now, and making the statement that the Texans should've traded Mario makes the idea look even dumber. Who were we going to trade with exactly and what, pray tell should we have gotten in return?
__________________
\_(ツ)_/
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #68
gafftop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 56
Posts: 1,751
Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Even then you're still having to qualify this statement with the gigantic IF that we need to get a good deal which was at best, a crackpot idea. Go ahead and show off your prowess of things that would never happen and didn't happen and weren't a good idea at the time. It's pretty funny.

EDIT You coming in now, and making the statement that the Texans should've traded Mario makes the idea look even dumber. Who were we going to trade with exactly and what, pray tell should we have gotten in return?
Really. How am I supposed to know that. My feeling is and I stated it in that thread that not trading Mario would be one of the biggest mistakes the Texans could make and that it would hurt this team in the future. I still believe that and you don't. No problem.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #69
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!
 
Dutchrudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston
Section: Fort Kickass
Age: 29
Posts: 15,063
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
$6M base, $1.3M in roster and/or incentive bonus.
$2.5M on top is the prorated signing bonus when he first signed the contract.

He already restructured, losing some of the value of his original contract.

Basically, he already gave the Texans a discount.
The 1.3 million is part of what he restructured in 2011. The team converted 3.9 million of his 2011 salary into signing bonus, thus prorating it over 3 years. That 1.3 million in 2013 has already been paid to him and is guaranteed to hit the cap next year regardless of what happens to him. The only money on his deal that can be adjusted is the 6 million in salary, which is not guaranteed.


Reference:

Quote:
The math is complicated, but basically Smith, Ryans and Johnson got their paychecks going forward reduced in exchange for taking more cash up front in the form of signing bonuses. Specific numbers were not made available.
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...on-2081486.php

This was all part of the effort to fit JJo and Manning into the cap.
__________________
Life is too important to be taken seriously. -Oscar Wilde
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #70
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,342
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Even then you're still having to qualify this statement with the gigantic IF that we need to get a good deal which was at best, a crackpot idea. Go ahead and show off your prowess of things that would never happen and didn't happen and weren't a good idea at the time. It's pretty funny.

EDIT You coming in now, and making the statement that the Texans should've traded Mario makes the idea look even dumber. Who were we going to trade with exactly and what, pray tell should we have gotten in return?
Doesn't matter. A lot of things could have been done, should have been done & we have no idea what the Texans tried to do. It makes more sense to sign Mario before his final season. For all we know, they were in good faith negotiations. Maybe they believed Mario was going to sign with us.

Then they were left holding the bag.

Again, I don't know that happened, it's a theory. Another, is that they thought they would have money with the cap escalating. They were wrong & had to cut bait.

It's a lot easier to make these decisions, when you don't have to deal with the real world, or live with their consequences.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #71
tru80texan
Veteran
 
tru80texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Close enough to get to Reliant
Posts: 486
Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Doesn't matter. A lot of things could have been done, should have been done & we have no idea what the Texans tried to do. It makes more sense to sign Mario before his final season. For all we know, they were in good faith negotiations. Maybe they believed Mario was going to sign with us.

Then they were left holding the bag.

Again, I don't know that happened, it's a theory. Another, is that they thought they would have money with the cap escalating. They were wrong & had to cut bait.

It's a lot easier to make these decisions, when you don't have to deal with the real world, or live with their consequences.
I think the FO had to have a worst case scenario in mind in case the salary cap wasn't raised & it seems that is what panned out based on Mario's claim that they basically showed him the door w/ no offer. Of course a trade would have been ideal before his final year to at least get something as opposed to nothing. But as another mentioned who would've taken him. His salary was huge, he just came off the IR the year before, & everyone probably assumed he was destined to be a FA the following year. It would not have made sense for any team to take on an $18M salary w/ no guarantee he would've stayed at seasons end.

In the end, it was a good decision not to re-sign Mario as he is overpaid & simply is not worth his current salary. It's a shame that he got away & the Texans got nothing in return, but this was one situation in which the culprit was Casserly. Smith's hands were tied in this situation & that was probably a good thing when its all said & done because 11 sack seasons are not worth $100M in any way shape or form imo.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #72
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame
 
leebigeztx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: League City formerly of LaMarque
Age: 43
Posts: 1,605
Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

I think both smith guys will be gone. I like antonio,but they drafted crick and in situational football,mitchell can play snaps there. The texans have to be very careful wen dealing with 30+ yr old solid players. If it were me and I. Didn't have a cap charge, I would cut daniels,smith,smith,let cody go. They need money for cushing,quinn,and maybe even barwin. In thi draft alone,there are a few 5 techniques in this draft like goodman of clemson and jones of ucla. The texans can go jenkins 1st,goodman 2nd,thomas 3rd,and king in the 4th.
__________________
Be a student of the game, not a fan.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #73
welsh texan
Lest we forget
 
welsh texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Llandudno, Wales
Age: 26
Posts: 1,621
Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Going back to the Mario thing, totally different situation to the Antonio Smith situation, 16 players got more sacks than Mario in 2012, 65 got more than him in 2011, 27 in 2010...I could go on.

Now, whilst I'm not claiming that sack numbers are the be-all and end-all in DE/OLB effectiveness, I'd say for the highest paid player on D in the history of the NFL, and even before that contract one of the top paid guys in the league anyway ($18m in 2011), and a guy who really should be all about pass-rush with, the guy has never made a splash at his position.

Just because the Bills got an itchy trigger in FA doesn't mean the offer was there on the table to take him in his final season. We got a 3rd for an oft-injured, mid-level DE in the end anyway.

If you were in any FO around the league, are you about to offer higher than a 3rd for that talent? Are you going to take on $18m without determining that that is the market value for him?

It was perfectly acceptable to hope for a trade at the time, but to go back to that argument now is ridiculous, the FO obviously thought they'd give him chance to prove his worth in a contract year, he went off for a few games then handed in his sick-note pretty quickly, pretty much confirming the reason for not negotiating with him early, the reason to show him the door, the reason why no-one in their right mind would have traded for him prior to his contract year.

Antonio OTOH is a great guy to have in the D, does his job really well, but is getting paid a heck of a lot especially when he's playing across from a guy who's even better.

Now, I'm hoping they can get something worked out this year which takes into account his age and the upheaval that moving city would bring, and his chances of winning an SB anywhere thats got cap space to improve on what we can offer.

Does he deserve his money? Yes. Can we afford it? Time will tell.

76 makes some great points about what the rest of the league will determine his value is, I'm just hoping that at his age we might be able to put a pile of cash in his hand up front and increase his guaranteed money, whilst locking him up into years when he can't be certain of earning anywhere else.

He'd be taking a gamble to hit the open market, change scheme, and hope to play well enough to stay on a roster. Rick Smith will really be earning his money if he can sell that argument to him.
__________________
They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the gowing down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #74
welsh texan
Lest we forget
 
welsh texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Llandudno, Wales
Age: 26
Posts: 1,621
Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I think both smith guys will be gone. I like antonio,but they drafted crick and in situational football,mitchell can play snaps there. The texans have to be very careful wen dealing with 30+ yr old solid players. If it were me and I. Didn't have a cap charge, I would cut daniels,smith,smith,let cody go. They need money for cushing,quinn,and maybe even barwin. In thi draft alone,there are a few 5 techniques in this draft like goodman of clemson and jones of ucla. The texans can go jenkins 1st,goodman 2nd,thomas 3rd,and king in the 4th.
Couple of points here lee...firstly, are you happy with the idea of yet more upheaval on the Oline next year? Wade Smiths cap saving isn't huge, and whilst he hasn't been great the last couple of years, at least he's passable.

I saw nothing in the RG battle to suggest that I want to simply peg both those guys as starters next season, I let them battle it out for 1 position in camp, bring in some competition, and look for them to improve going into the following season before I entertain the idea of handing them both starting spots.

That gives me confidence of improvement through experience next season, and allows me to keep them rotating if need be.

Crick, another who needs to see more game-time before we simply rely on him, sure he's got potential but again, am I going to hand him the starter position with maybe a rookie to fend off in camp?

You scare me with your willingness to lessen our experience in return for cap-savings we don't necessarily need to make.

With the space we have currently, we can re-sign any/all of the FA's if we want to, no problem. Any further saving would be going towards either improving our ability to sign mid-level FA's off other teams (a gamble in itself) or freeing us up to negotiate with people like Cush who we'd be able to resign next year anyway given the money we'll have coming off the books then.

Last year we desperately needed to make cap savings or else our team was going to lose some huge pieces in a month or so's time. This year not...not so much, and the places you are advocating making those savings aren't anywhere near as deep as the 2 positions we did it at last year (sure you can say neither our ILB #2 position, nor RT position panned out that well this past season, but I for one can see that the FO's thinking was correct, both had experienced depth and cheap FA help/inexperienced backups to compete).

I'm seeing some crazy ass stuff going about this forum already and the SB hasn't even been won yet...I've got a feeling this off-season is going to be fugly around here.
__________________
They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the gowing down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #75
Texcore
Hardcore Texan
 
Texcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Couple of points here lee...firstly, are you happy with the idea of yet more upheaval on the Oline next year? Wade Smiths cap saving isn't huge, and whilst he hasn't been great the last couple of years, at least he's passable.

I saw nothing in the RG battle to suggest that I want to simply peg both those guys as starters next season, I let them battle it out for 1 position in camp, bring in some competition, and look for them to improve going into the following season before I entertain the idea of handing them both starting spots.

That gives me confidence of improvement through experience next season, and allows me to keep them rotating if need be.

Crick, another who needs to see more game-time before we simply rely on him, sure he's got potential but again, am I going to hand him the starter position with maybe a rookie to fend off in camp?

You scare me with your willingness to lessen our experience in return for cap-savings we don't necessarily need to make.

With the space we have currently, we can re-sign any/all of the FA's if we want to, no problem. Any further saving would be going towards either improving our ability to sign mid-level FA's off other teams (a gamble in itself) or freeing us up to negotiate with people like Cush who we'd be able to resign next year anyway given the money we'll have coming off the books then.

Last year we desperately needed to make cap savings or else our team was going to lose some huge pieces in a month or so's time. This year not...not so much, and the places you are advocating making those savings aren't anywhere near as deep as the 2 positions we did it at last year (sure you can say neither our ILB #2 position, nor RT position panned out that well this past season, but I for one can see that the FO's thinking was correct, both had experienced depth and cheap FA help/inexperienced backups to compete).

I'm seeing some crazy ass stuff going about this forum already and the SB hasn't even been won yet...I've got a feeling this off-season is going to be fugly around here.
I'm on the fence about keeping Smith or not, I like him. But it may be time to move on.

Addressing the Mario issue, I'm not sure if he was all that tradeable. Teams don't usually trade for a player unless a new team can come to an agreement with that player. You hardly ever see that happen. Plus he was injured. And if you had traded him the year before, we'd still have to deal with a cap hit from his bonus (though I admit I'm not sure how big or little it would have been).
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #76
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,298
Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

keep ninja but find future replacement via draft, can't count on Jamison either coming off injury.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #77
srrono
Hall of Fame
 
srrono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,558
Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
keep ninja but find future replacement via draft, can't count on Jamison either coming off injury.

Michigan State DE William Gholston
- freak of nature that has to start dominating games and taking over games. And, if he didn't truly do it at MSU, then will he do it in the NFL? Even if he doesn't dominate, he can be a solid 3-4 DE, playing the run well. I could see him being a taller version of Houston Texan Antonio Smith in the future.
http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...ring-nfl-draft
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #78
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,726
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Jared Crick.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #79
dream_team
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,454
Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Jared Crick.
I'm no expert talent evaluator, but what do you guys think of Jared Crick? I thought he was fairly quiet on the field. But is he really a viable option if we lose Antonio?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,342
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I think the FO had to have a worst case scenario in mind in case the salary cap wasn't raised & it seems that is what panned out based on Mario's claim that they basically showed him the door w/ no offer. Of course a trade would have been ideal before his final year to at least get something as opposed to nothing. But as another mentioned who would've taken him. His salary was huge, he just came off the IR the year before, & everyone probably assumed he was destined to be a FA the following year. It would not have made sense for any team to take on an $18M salary w/ no guarantee he would've stayed at seasons end.

In the end, it was a good decision not to re-sign Mario as he is overpaid & simply is not worth his current salary. It's a shame that he got away & the Texans got nothing in return, but this was one situation in which the culprit was Casserly. Smith's hands were tied in this situation & that was probably a good thing when its all said & done because 11 sack seasons are not worth $100M in any way shape or form imo.
Do you think we'd have gotten more than a third round pick for him? If the speculation is correct, we'll get a compensatory third for him.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger