Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-23-2013   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you miss Jacoby Jones?

You know what I really miss? I miss the days when there wasn't always a Jacoby Jones thread waiting for us seemingly every day. That's just me and I know many of you like to keep talking about a guy who isn't on this team anymore (hence the "National Football League" forum which is entirely appropriate). Nothing wrong with that. I just don't understand it.

He performed well this year for the Ravens. Hundreds of players performed well for their respective teams. He did not develop here in Houston and showed no apparent signs of doing so in the future. His receiving is pretty much unchanged and his return game is improved thanks to being on a team with better special teams play than the Texans. To me this makes him a non-topic. He's not here and as a wideout he's not better than he was here. As a return man he's in a better place, not necessarily a better player. Trindon Holliday also went somewhere else and improved dramatically. Where the return game is concerned I"m afraid "It's not them, it's us".

I don't want him back, have no inclination to forgive him for his past mistakes, and don't care how he's doing somewhere else.
Old 01-23-2013   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
Considering all the talk of the Texans lack of a #2 wide receiver AND a playmaking return man, do you wish he was back?
I am still a Jacoby fan. Not in so much that I will root for him or anything like that. I root for them boys on Kirby... that's it.

But I do like to watch Jacoby play & still think he was not used correctly while he was here. Square peg for a round hole.

I do not think we have a QB that can take advantage of his biggest asset, speed. So I was pleased to see him go to a team with a big armed QB.

However, Jacoby isn't even third on the Ravens receiving corps & that's a disappointment & proof that those guys who say he's not a good receiver were right.

I don't care to go back & say if we had so & so..... we don't know & there's no way to know. But I would have chosen Jacoby over Walter any day of the week. If you still think Andre can stretch the field, I can understand a decision to keep Walter. If you think Martin or Posey was going to be that guy....

I mean I was surprised to see Martin on the field as often as he was, but wasn't surprised when he disappeared. That's just Kubiak. If he feels like he's got to win, he's going to go with what he knows, what he can count on. & in that, he's really no different than the rest of us. You can't "plan" with inconsistencies other than to be inconsistent.

So no, I do not miss Jacoby Jones. I'm looking forward to next year & these kids becoming more a part of our offense....
Old 01-23-2013   #23
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were JJ Watt or someone else who's had a bull on the side of my helmet for the past two years I would take the next time I faced Mr. Jones as an opportunity to run at him at full speed, turning my body into a missile and break every last damn one of his ribs as my way of saying "THANK YOU" for fumbling a gimmie and costing me and the team a trip to the AFC championship then SUSPICIOUSLY being picked up by the same team to whom you seemingly GAVE a trip to the next round. Before the token Baltimore fan says something. This aint sour grapes, this is hmmm "you f'ed up and cost us a game to a team that then makes you part of their roster...I aint accusing you but that looks a little fishy so I want to break your ribs to say congrats on your success with the organization you seemed to assist when you played for us" hit.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I personally think he needed a change to light a fire under him. He was public enemy #1 & most of it was his own doing. He simply was too comfortable & was a bit too arrogant despite his mistakes.
I don't understand this opinion. Listening to Foster, Jacoby was a hard worker here. Jacoby, Foster, & Casey would stay past practice & work on hands, routes, & what not.

He stopped, as far as we can tell, goofing around, missing meetings & that kind of stuff in his last couple of years here.

Sure, he was a knucklehead when he got here, but he was a pro when he left.
Old 01-23-2013   #25
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

This is like asking will I miss Obama when he is gone or do I miss dubya now?

Any review of jacobys history here should answer that question. And what is with people acting like jacoby had this great season? As usual he hardly did a thing as a receiver.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
If I were JJ Watt or someone else who's had a bull on the side of my helmet for the past two years I would take the next time I faced Mr. Jones as an opportunity to run at him at full speed, turning my body into a missile and break every last damn one of his ribs as my way of saying "THANK YOU" for fumbling a gimmie and costing me and the team a trip to the AFC championship then SUSPICIOUSLY being picked up by the same team to whom you seemingly GAVE a trip to the next round. Before the token Baltimore fan says something. This aint sour grapes, this is hmmm "you f'ed up and cost us a game to a team that then makes you part of their roster...I aint accusing you but that looks a little fishy so I want to break your ribs to say congrats on your success with the organization you seemed to assist when you played for us" hit.
No, this is poor logic. That was 5 minutes into the game & the team should have been able to overcome.

They weren't, they lost. You're not going to win many play off games scoring 13 points.
Old 01-23-2013   #27
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
No, this is poor logic. That was 5 minutes into the game & the team should have been able to overcome.

They weren't, they lost. You're not going to win many play off games scoring 13 points.

I'm talking about the one in the 4th quarter...
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #28
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand this opinion. Listening to Foster, Jacoby was a hard worker here. Jacoby, Foster, & Casey would stay past practice & work on hands, routes, & what not.

He stopped, as far as we can tell, goofing around, missing meetings & that kind of stuff in his last couple of years here.

He's been better there b/c he's fully entrenched as the 3rd option and only the 3rd option, he's playing with a better group of WR's around him..a qb that can get him the ball and a better coach. They also have unquestioned leadership with Lewis and Harbaugh. You think they'd be going for his antics?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
You think they'd be going for his antics?
What antics? That's my only issue with your view. He was a pro when he left.
Old 01-23-2013   #30
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
my bad, for whatever reason i've never been able to separate Jacoby Jones and Jerome Mathis in my brain...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #31
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 41913 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
This is like asking will I miss Obama when he is gone or do I miss dubya now?

Any review of jacobys history here should answer that question. And what is with people acting like jacoby had this great season? As usual he hardly did a thing as a receiver.
Thought of this, when I read that...

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #32
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

I hope the karma train comes around and he drops the game winning touchdown in the superbowl, then the Ravens fans will feel the same we do about Jacoby.

Seemingly nice guy, just makes the big mistakes at the wrong time.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #33
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

to kinda answer the question, yes. for his many flaws Jacoby had speed that defenses and special teams had to account for. Even with the Texans he made a handful of big plays each year and helped open the offense spread the defense.

he never was a compplete pleyer and bleeped up against his current team, but the WR corp was better with him ( at least 2011 to 2012).
Old 01-23-2013   #34
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
No.
co-signed.
Old 01-23-2013   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice guy that I rooted for but probably one if not the most frustrating players for me to watch. No is my answer.
Old 01-23-2013   #36
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
You do realize Jacoby wasn't that far off from matching Walter's numbers & he was a #3 WR...not a #2 WR like Walter who started every game & thus had more opportunities then Jacoby.
There's a reason Baltimore only used JJ as a #3. The "reduced pressure" on him to perform should have made the game easier. JJ had his big chance when AJ went out, he blew it. There are exactly Zero teams in the NFL who would use him as a #1 and damn few who'd consider him at a #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
My point is why do fans feel the need to denigrate a player who made mistakes or performed poorly for their team?
The bolded pretty well answers itself.
Old 01-23-2013   #37
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You clearly didn't pay to much attention to Jacoby while he was here if you have to ask that question. He consistently lacked focus and wasn't doing all of the things that he needed to do. He never improved here.

It's actually mind blowing that a thread like this even exists considering that we're talking about a player that was a bust on both of his contracts.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #38
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I aint going nowhere, trust me, Jones said. No matter what nobody says I aint going nowhwere. Believe that.

This is an example of my too comfortable & arrogance concerning Jones. He made this quote days after his poor game in Baltimore. Instead of keeping his head down & his mouth shut in following days he chose too further infuriate a fan base that didn't care for him by insuating that he was untouchable to some degree. Obviously he was wrong. But it takes a certain level of arrogance & comfort to believe that he could say such things w/out repercussions from the organization. Especially after the poor performance that he had just had. Do I believe he makes that same statement in organization ran by the likes Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Cowher, Jim or John Harbaugh...I highly doubt it. It's called accountability & he wasn't worried about it when it concerned the fans.

Jacoby was simply too comfortable w/ his standing w/ kubiak, imo, & it seemed his development had slowed or plateaued because of it. He needed a change & had he handled all of business in Houston like he did in Baltimore by eliminating the mental mistakes, refining his skills, & dropping the immature antics then I believe he could've been better here. Unfortunately, Jacoby felt he was doing everything right here & it took getting ousted for him to take the next step.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #39
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
Considering all the talk of the Texans lack of a #2 wide receiver AND a playmaking return man, do you wish he was back?

I thought I would never say this, but we needed him this year. Not in terms of his couple of bonehead plays per year, but his playmaking ability, especially in the return game.

The "unforgivable sin" vs. Baltimore last year was terrible. I wanted him gone too. But considering all the problems at the slots his left open, any thoughts on weather you would take him back if you could do it over?
I wouldn't have let him go in the first place. Leach either. But since we did, I hope they do well in the game and the Ravens win.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #40
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
There's a reason Baltimore only used JJ as a #3. The "reduced pressure" on him to perform should have made the game easier. JJ had his big chance when AJ went out, he blew it. There are exactly Zero teams in the NFL who would use him as a #1 and damn few who'd consider him at a #2.

The bolded pretty well answers itself.
I somewhat agree w/ this. Yes, it made it easier for him to adjust w/ less pressure, but I very much believe they are grooming him to be their next #2 wr. Of course Jones went to them w/ a lot of baggage & of course he wasn't going to be asked to start because they have Boldin & Smith but Boldin is getting up in age & isn't quite the player he use to be & the price tag could be getting hefty. I think Boldin will eventually be gone & Jones will be given an opportunity to step up. Given how he progressed this season, he could become a #2 wr for them. After all...that was the exact plan for him here as well.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read