Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-17-2013   #441
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-80 View Post
I'm not a David Carr fanboy by any means...but to ignore the fact that Shaub literally falls to the ground when he gets touched from behind? We have all seen Shaub do this. He has no ability whatsoever to evade any pass rush. Listen, I think Shaub is a good passer but you have to admit that Shaub can't escape pressure. At least not recently. I'm not discounting the fact that he can stand in the pocket and make a throw when he knows he is about to get pummeled. When he feels any pressure from his backside he crumbles.
Schaub is s little below average at escaping pressure. That said, he did a good job of evading tacklers in the pocket against NE.

Didn't do much once he got out of the pocket, be he got there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #442
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
#progress
Progress is talking about David Carr in a Matt Schaub thread, without a bunch of "bleeps." LOL

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #443
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Yeah, like in the playoffs when he needs two yards, has no one in front of him, and throws the ball away.

At least Carr "tried" to win.
Yes, Carr put a lot of effort into repeatedly scrambling right into Freeney.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #444
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yes, Carr put a lot of effort into repeatedly scrambling right into Freeney.
LOL! It wasn't just Freeney. Anyone edge rusher rushing up the field were almost guaranteed a sack because Carr loved to try and run out & around the pocket as opposed to stepping up into it. Never failed. If the edge rusher didn't get him then whomever was chasing him just had to push him out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage for a "sack" because he refused to throw the ball away. Carr is one QB who Schaub will always rank higher then in my book.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #445
skenney_11
Rookie

Just spoke to someone who works with the team that said Schaub had no secret injuries at the end of the season. Maybe it was psychological? What I found interesting is that Schaub had a shoulder problem last season before he had the lisfranc injury so if the lisfranc never, we would have been screwed come playoff time with schaubs shoulder problem.
skenney_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #446
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenney_11 View Post
Just spoke to someone who works with the team that said Schaub had no secret injuries at the end of the season. Maybe it was psychological? What I found interesting is that Schaub had a shoulder problem last season before he had the lisfranc injury so if the lisfranc never, we would have been screwed come playoff time with schaubs shoulder problem.
That's the biggest misconception about Schaub this year. Has he fully recover? His foot must be in digression. Why he can't evade from that rusher?

Do anybody ever see this guy limp or hobble around the field this year? There's your answer. Nothings wrong with MS physically. The QB position is the most mentally challenging position in football. Schaub mental state is on a decline. That is the most troubling issue of all.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #447
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post

Do anybody ever see this guy limp or hobble around the field this year? There's your answer. Nothings wrong with MS physically. The QB position is the most mentally challenging position in football. Schaub mental state is on a decline. That is the most troubling issue of all.
I work with a bunch of Cowboy fans. Most of them are not Romo fans. I tell them that I like Romo. I like his gutzpa. I like that he gives his team a chance to win against anybody.

But he'll always fall short.

I tell them when he's got a running game & a defense, the Dallas Cowboys are unstoppable. Truth is, the same could be said about any team. Take the Patriots for example. Had their run game & defense played the way they played against us, the Pats would be in the Super Bowl. The Pats would have won last year's Super Bowl.

If Romo had a bad game, I can guarantee you his receivers dropped a few balls. His running game didn't show up, & his defense let him down.

Same with any team. Look at the Falcons & their last lost. Where was their defense & their running game in the second half?

If you can block out that we lost against the Pats two weeks ago & watch that game, Schaub played as well as he had all year, it was without a doubt his best game over the last 6 weeks. He stayed alive in the pocket by sidestepping, he did make some "decent" throws from outside the pocket, he planted that left foot as well as he ever had.

I believe Matt Schaub is a problem. I'm not saying any different, but that game, he was far, far from our biggest problem.
Old 01-23-2013   #448
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I believe Matt Schaub is a problem. I'm not saying any different, but that game, he was far, far from our biggest problem.
I like Romo as well because he's willing to stick his neck out to give his team a chance to win at the cost of making himself look like a jackass. But Schaub had plenty of opportunity to make momentum changing throws. He's just to cautious with his pass.

Look at the throws Flacco made to Boldin against NE. Those were text book coverage by the cb. But because Flacco understand ball placement and confidence in his receiver those throws resulted in TDs. It also takes gutz to make that decision to throw it like that also.

That 2-pt conversion late in the game to AJ was that kind of throw. That game against the Redskins 2 years ago to AJ in the EZ was that kind of throw.

If Schaub ever recognize how effective those kind of throws can be against tight coverages he would be borderline elite at the very least.
Old 01-23-2013   #449
klockWork
Veteran

Quote:
Schaub simply doesn't have the arm to make the types of throws needed to win in this system. He gets no zip on the ball. The ball lingers and gets knocked down or intercepted or the receiver runs past the place Matt threw it and it ends up behind them. MS plain and simple has a weak arm. Look at how fast the ball gets to the receiver when Flacco, or even CK in SF, or the Wilson kid in Seattle chunk it out there. We need a strong arm QB for this offense. Gary keeps protecting Matt but he just doesn't fit the system. He is immobile with a noodle arm ... two things this system cant tolerate.
As long as MS don't throw it off his back foot those kind of throws can certainly get there, maybe not as much zip like a Rogers but it can definitely get there on time.

But it's a moot argument because Schaub at his age shouldn't develop those kind of bad habit this far down in his career. Either its already fixed or it's too badly broken to be fix.

Unfortunately we all know it's beyond repair.
Old 01-23-2013   #450
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Romo > Schaub if you give me the choice I'd take Romo in heartbeat.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #451
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Romo > Schaub if you give me the choice I'd take Romo in heartbeat.
I don't know about this one... would be a tough decision for me. It doesn't bother you that all of those seasons, they annually had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL, but they only have one playoff victory to show for it? And if you look at those playoff games, they lost because the offense had problems scoring.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #452
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I don't know about this one... would be a tough decision for me. It doesn't bother you that all of those seasons, they annually had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL, but they only have one playoff victory to show for it? And if you look at those playoff games, they lost because the offense had problems scoring.
That's a misconception. The Cowboys have not been as talented as people think. After that 13-3 season, lots of things changed. They have needed safety help forever, they have not had a 1000 yard rusher since 2004 I believe, horrible blown coverage CB play, they have an atrocious interior offensive line, Their d-line has not been able to generate an effective pass rush in years as they have had no one to compliment Ware. But they have been doing a good job drafting and acquiring better talent the last couple of years with Dez, their LT Smith, Sean Lee, Murray, Carter, and Claiborne. When you have alot of moving parts it takes time to adjust and gel, like it took time with us when we finally got it all together last year.

And count me in Romo camp. Easily take him over Shaub, in a heartbeat. He'd be awesome on our team.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #453
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
um mobile and a stronger arm. what else do you want? plus a healthy rb
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #454
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
I agree with you on that, Romo definitely is more mobile and has a stronger arm. Schaub can get us to the playoffs no problem. We need a QB who can take us to the SB, which Romo hasn't proven he can do. IMO, he's a guy that doesn't perform as well in the playoffs. Even though he may be better than Schaub, I don't want to simply get another guy that won't take us to the SB.
Old 01-23-2013   #455
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: When will the Texans get a Franchise Level QB?

Quote:
Also, I know there's a big love affair with Kaepernick around here now. But lets not forget, he was put into a really really good situation. Three first round picks on that offensive line. A first round pick receiver and tight end. A pro-bowl running back. One of the greatest receivers of all time (even though past his prime). Not to mention, IMO, the best defense in football.

If we invested this much into our offense, and our defense was as good as the 9ers, I don't think we're complaining about our QB and analyzing the Ravens right now.
I'm glad SOMEbody recognizes that Kaepernick was inserted into an ideal situation. He couldn't lose. If he failed, Alex Smith, a capable "game manager, is standing by to bail him out. Kaepernick didn't have to carry the team to the playoffs. The team was playoff quality before he got there.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #456
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Vince Young is also more mobile and has a stronger arm. Also Jamarcus Russel.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #457
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: When will the Texans get a Franchise Level QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm glad SOMEbody recognizes that Kaepernick was inserted into an ideal situation. He couldn't lose. If he failed, Alex Smith, a capable "game manager, is standing by to bail him out. Kaepernick didn't have to carry the team to the playoffs. The team was playoff quality before he got there.
I do find it very interesting however, that a team that was bound for the playoffs (I agree) was still willing to MAKE CHANGES to a pivotal position like QB despite the fact that it could shake things up, so that they'd have a better chance at not just "making the playoffs" (see Texans) but to go deep into the playoffs.

See Gary, real coaches aren't scared to shake things up because it's what's best for the T-E-A-M.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #458
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
I do find it very interesting however, that a team that was bound for the playoffs (I agree) was still willing to MAKE CHANGES to a pivotal position like QB despite the fact that it could shake things up, so that they'd have a better chance at not just "making the playoffs" (see Texans) but to go deep into the playoffs.

See Gary, real coaches aren't scared to shake things up because it's what's best for the T-E-A-M.
At the same time:
- that team doesn't rely on their QB too much to win games
- Kaepernick was drafted to eventually become the starter
- if Smith doesn't get a concussion, people wouldn't even know who the 49ers backup QB is
Old 01-24-2013   #459
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is simply damaged goods, which sucks because he's an extremely hard worker and sacrificed his body for the team. I still remember the bewildered look on Mike Shanahan's face when we beat them in overtime on September 19th, 2011, as he said, "That's one good quarterback they have on that team." But Schaub is physically incapable of performing like that anymore. Maybe he'll rehab and return to form of the Denver 2012 game, but we can't count on him to stay in that shape, just like he hasn't been able to since 2010.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #460
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Schaub simply doesn't have the arm to make the types of throws needed to win in this system.
I find that hard to believe. I know we're not allowed to use stats to refute Schaub hate'n, but he had a good season by whatever measure you'd rate any other QB. Wins, yards, points, pro bowl.......

I've never been a Schaub fan to speak of, but I've never been a hater either. He's not what I want for this team, but he's performed well despite that.

If you're one of those guys who always believed Matt to be soft, I can understand. But I don't understand blaming his physical abilities or limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Schaub is simply damaged goods, which sucks because he's an extremely hard worker and sacrificed his body for the team.
& I'm not seeing that. I watched the last three games in the last week looking for evidence of physical impairment & I'm just not seeing it. He moves well (for Matt), he plants on that foot with no hesitation. His arm didn't look any more dead to me than it ever did.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read