Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2013   #121
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair's Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I would be receptive to that for about two days ... anyone have a half dozen hogs I can borrow?
Would you take a dozen chicks over six hogs?

I bet you can just spread words about a party at Cushing's house and a lot of them would show up.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #122
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
sometimes loyalty isnt a good thing.
My ex fiance would agree with you
Old 01-22-2013   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
According to the movie Snatch .... hogs do a better job in a more timely manner.
Baa hahahaha, you crack me up, dude.
Old 01-22-2013   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
According to the movie Snatch .... hogs do a better job in a more timely manner.
Greedy as a Pig?
The last clip on there?

http://jaymckinnon.com/blog/movies/t...-movie-moments
Old 01-22-2013   #125
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i understand lingering frustration, but the outcry has become ridiculous. we went 12-4 ... stop and think on that. 12-4. say it out loud. twelve wins. getting to the postseason is the goal, after that it becomes quite the crap shoot. ask arguably the greatest quarterback ever - peyton manning. if that's not enough, ask the greatest QB/HC pair ever (brady and belichick) who have gone 3-5 in their past 8 postseason games. ask the 1 and 2 defenses every year for the past 15 years - the steelers and ravens. 3 superbowls is fantastic, but combined they've been bumped from the playoffs 20 something times, with several years failing to even get in.

get over the "worst team ever" schit. i'm tired of it. i'm sick of the booing, the entitlement, the venom directed at schaub and kubiak, and the overall hate leveled at a team that went as far as their talent allowed.

mcnair's patience is WHY we won 12 games this year. it's why we still have kubiak and smith. it's why we were the talk of pundits all season as "this is the most complete team in football". it's why we're still a young and building and successful team instead of a reboot every other year. mcnair's patience is WHY you're so pissed off ... he stuck with a plan that would work. 12 wins and a tough loss is so heartbreaking that you have something to be passionate about. there are plenty of teams who can give you safe lethargy, would you be happier as a fan of the rams or cowboys or redskins who make giant splashes without having any substance or chance at real glory?
Maybe McNairs insistance on Philips as dc but not his patience. Where we differ scooter is you are excited and giddy over 12 wins that led to a disasterous playoffs. I'm not. I think the 2011 Texans were better than the 2012 version. You are excited about next year because you think Kubiak is the right coach and can get us to the superbowl. I don't. And as for the pundits. None of them gave the Texans a chance in hell after the meltdown at the end of the season and rightfully so. The only way the Texans will win a superbowl with Kubiak is in spite of him. An elite defense is a must.

I love the Texans and I want them to win probably worse than most on this board. I grew up close to the astrodome when it was just a hole in the ground. I have been rooting for Houston NFL football since the 60's. Fanhood is not a question. I want a winner. A superbowl winner. And I will ***** and moan when I think they are off track from obtaining that goal. Regular season victories are nice but they don't do squat for winning a superbowl. Win some big games Texans. Grow up!
Old 01-22-2013   #126
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
The only way the Texans will win a superbowl with Kubiak is in spite of him. An elite defense is a must.
Something neither of the Superbowl finalists have. Great point.
Old 01-22-2013   #127
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Something neither of the Superbowl finalists have. Great point.
You missed the whole point. Do they have Kubiak as their hc? And I would argue that San Fran has a pretty damn good defense.
Old 01-22-2013   #128
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe McNairs insistance on Philips as dc but not his patience. Where we differ scooter is you are excited and giddy over 12 wins that led to a disasterous playoffs. I'm not. I think the 2011 Texans were better than the 2012 version. You are excited about next year because you think Kubiak is the right coach and can get us to the superbowl. I don't. And as for the pundits. None of them gave the Texans a chance in hell after the meltdown at the end of the season and rightfully so. The only way the Texans will win a superbowl with Kubiak is in spite of him. An elite defense is a must.

I love the Texans and I want them to win probably worse than most on this board. I grew up close to the astrodome when it was just a hole in the ground. I have been rooting for Houston NFL football since the 60's. Fanhood is not a question. I want a winner. A superbowl winner. And I will ***** and moan when I think they are off track from obtaining that goal. Regular season victories are nice but they don't do squat for winning a superbowl. Win some big games Texans. Grow up!
No truer words could be spoken. Don't get me wrong, I too enjoyed the 12 wins but at the end of the day the late season slump made it all for not as it carried over into the playoffs. Despite the 12 wins many, fans & media, had doubts about this teams makeup & rightfully so. They simply didn't show up against the better teams & PROVE that they belonged amongst them & thus many in the media dubbed the Texans "frauds". Which, imo, is the biggest show of disrespect, but was hard to argue. Let's be honest, outside of the 2 additional regular season wins this team faired no better then last season. Both exited in the Divisional round after being #3 seeds & defeating Cincy. The only difference was the optimism exiting 2011 was 10x greater as opposed to the skepticism as they exited 2012. This team was suppose to look better & contend in 2012 for a Super Bowl. And by "contend" I don't mean simply making the playoffs. They didn't fulfill their own expectations, so why should we be satisfied. At some point the bar has to rise & we to have quit treating minor accomplishments, such as 2 additional reg season wins, as major steps for a team that wants to be acknowledged as one of the best. Plain & simple.

Hope I still qualify as a Texans fan after all that. LOL!
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #129
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You missed the whole point. Do they have Kubiak as their hc? And I would argue that San Fran has a pretty damn good defense.
erm, no.
Old 01-23-2013   #130
Ghostform
Veteran

Rep Power: 7329 Ghostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
erm, no.
Im pretty sure you missed the point. Step away from the koolaid for a minute and read it again. Pretty sure he said WE (as in the Texans) need to have an elite D to have any chance at getting to the superbowl with Kubiak as the coach. I dont see how that was so hard to understand. The 9ers and Ravens are not being coached by Kubiak. Selective reading is curable, just gotta take your head out of your ass.
Ghostform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #131
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

What team has ever won a Super Bowl in spite of their head coach?

Seriously think about that argument for a second and you will realize the logical fallacy inherent to the statement.

If you think this franchise must win a Super Bowl in spite of Gary Kubiak, then you must accept that this team will never win a Super Bowl with Gary Kubiak as head coach.
Old 01-23-2013   #132
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Seriously think about that argument for a second and you will realize the logical fallacy inherent to the statement.

If you think this franchise must win a Super Bowl in spite of Gary Kubiak, then you must accept that this team will never win a Super Bowl with Gary Kubiak as head coach.
While getting your point and generally agreeing, one could argue Barry Switzer pretty persuasively.
Old 01-23-2013   #133
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostform View Post
Pretty sure he said WE (as in the Texans) need to have an elite D to have any chance at getting to the superbowl with Kubiak as the coach. I dont see how that was so hard to understand. The 9ers and Ravens are not being coached by Kubiak. Selective reading is curable, just gotta take your head out of your ass.
Do you believe that?

I don't know that we needed the defense to be elite, but that performance two weeks ago was far, far from elite.

The Ravens defense was struggling most of the year & ours was kicking butt & taking names over the first half of the year, up until they ran into an elite QB. Then I still believe they were more awestruck, than incapable of keeping the score down.

You can't stop an elite offense, just slow them down enough to give our offense an opportunity to keep up.

Our defense has played better than what we saw two weeks ago. I don't think it's too much to ask that they play closer to elite level than what they did.
Old 01-23-2013   #134
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Even if it's being said, I doubt it's truly believed.

Perhaps it's because Kubiak in recent years has done nothing that warrants or justifys a firing, so maybe it's their way of convincing themselves that he's "capable."

Until this team(hopefully not) begins trending downwards, of course.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #135
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
While getting your point and generally agreeing, one could argue Barry Switzer pretty persuasively.
Understand your point, but that Cowboys team did lose the NFC championship game during his first year as HC. It's not like it was completely automatic.
Old 01-23-2013   #136
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostform View Post
Im pretty sure you missed the point. Step away from the koolaid for a minute and read it again. Pretty sure he said WE (as in the Texans) need to have an elite D to have any chance at getting to the superbowl with Kubiak as the coach. I dont see how that was so hard to understand. The 9ers and Ravens are not being coached by Kubiak. Selective reading is curable, just gotta take your head out of your ass.
Two things:

1. You, and possibly GP, are the last two folks on earth that should lecture anyone on reading comprehension. I am being nice here...seriously.

2. You are completely off, on both the poster's statement, and my reply.
Old 01-23-2013   #137
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can respect that perspective. I'm not advocating anyone to pump sunshine.

Rather, just have some objectivity about it. We finally have a team that is winning more than losing and going to the playoffs. That, in and of itself, is a good thing

Now, can they maintain? That's the big question in the off-season.

I'm more of a reactive fan than proactive. I am not a fortune teller and cannot predict the future. So we'll wait and see and talk about the team's decisions in the meantime.

Good post, man. MSR.

I think folks can choose to be optimistic or pessimistic. There is nothing inherently wrong with either one. I just choose to be optimistic about our team's success so far, mainly because I vividly remember 2-14 and the 9 craptacular seasons before 2011.

Fair enough. I'm not telling anyone to be giddy. By the same token, don't act like it's nothing to get 12 wins in this league. I hated the way the season ended, as well. No way to sugar coat that letdown.

The Texans are still learning, regardless if we realize it or not. 2012 was the first time that they were the front runners for most of a season. That, in and of itself, is a new perspective for the franchise and this fanbase. I think that kind of media attention got in their heads, which manifested itself in a very ugly way on MNF at Foxboro. They got down on themselves as a team. It snowballed for a few more weeks and they lost a chance for HFA (another first for this young franchise).

Unfortunately, they let it get to them again in NE. And this is where they have to mature into a championship caliber team. Collectively, not just individuals, they have to believe in themselves and find that intangible quality to rise above a collection of individual players and become a team.

I think they are talented enough to beat a team like NE. The Patriots are not perfect, as vividly shown last Sunday. So now the Texans have to learn to play physical and push their will onto other good teams.

I'm not saying they can or cannot do it. I might lean certain ways, but none of us truly knows until it happens. But, I have no doubt that their failures will teach them and they will learn.
Careful. Rational, sober posts are not always welcome here.

Repped
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013   #138
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Quote:

That is indeed their premise and sincere hope. It's not about the success of the franchise, it's entirely about the success of their ideas. Fortunately most NFL franchises don't allow the fans to make important decisions, well at least not any franchise outside Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Arizona, Miami, Chicago, KC, Carolina, etc etc...

MSR
Old 01-24-2013   #139
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Understand your point, but that Cowboys team did lose the NFC championship game during his first year as HC. It's not like it was completely automatic.
SBs are never automatic. Rumor had it though the team leaders semi-revolted in between the 1st and 2nd Switzer season telling him they wanted to go back to JJ ball. You know Aikman transferred colleges to get away from Switzer? That was one of the most bizarre coaching selections ever - hey let's bring in a coach my star QB hates.
Old 01-24-2013   #140
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
SBs are never automatic. Rumor had it though the team leaders semi-revolted in between the 1st and 2nd Switzer season telling him they wanted to go back to JJ ball. You know Aikman transferred colleges to get away from Switzer? That was one of the most bizarre coaching selections ever - hey let's bring in a coach my star QB hates.
And this is why we are still trying to win again 16 years later. Jerry being Jerry. He stated in an interview that he could find 500 coaches to win the SBs. So then he had to prove it. Just like he is still trying to prove that he can GM. Frustrating.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read