Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-22-2013   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Quick mock with trade and off season moves

I'm going to trade Tate, a fourth and next years fourth for an extra second round pick

1) Dion Jordan, OLB

2) Margus Hunt, DE

2) Da'Rick Rogers, WR

3) Marcus Wheaton, WR

3) DJ Swearinger,S

5) Kenjon Barner, RB

5) David Quessenberry, OL

6) Johnny Adams, CB

7) Manase Foketi, OL

7) Montori Hughes, NT (stealing this one from dopp)

Alright, I'm thinking let Walter walk. Time to get more talented younger players in here. I know da'rick has had problems but the talent is there. In think the team could use a little more edge anyways. I think Rogers and Wheaton would be an instant upgrade the talent in the wr corps.

I know a lot of people won't lime the first two picks, but both guys are athletic freaks with room to grow. I'm letting barwin go. Not re-signing him. He adds very little to the defense. Jordan is a guy that can play either side, can match up against te's in man to man coverage, can rush the passer, can line up to cover the slot in certain situations.

Hunt is an eventual Antonio replacement. He is a strong player to add into the rotation. A line with him and watt on it could be huge and could be an identity similar to the Williams wall or the two Jacksonville dt's from a few years ago.

Extend Antonio, Jjo, and whomever else you can to free up enough money to bring in Brian urlacher. Whatever you have to do to make it happen.

Barner adds another returner option, another rb with a change of pace and is showing that he can pick up blitzes. Bring back Forsett to compete for the number 2...

Bring Casey and gq back. Bring back clutts. Use them better. Let cody walk. Start earl. Bring in some cheap fa's for competition there along with the draft pick.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #2
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18096 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Quick mock with trade and off season moves

Margus Hunt, DE is projecting as a 1st round pick so will not be there at end of second
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Like every pick

Give me Pugh or Dallas Thomas instead of Hunt.

Love all of the rest of the picks. Maybe throw in a blocking TE in the 5-6th rd.

Love using Tate to trade up into the 2nd rd. I was thinking of doing the same thing in my mock. Wheaton and Rodgers are 2 of the biggest playmakers in this draft. Their skillsets complement each other perferctly.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Margus Hunt, DE is projecting as a 1st round pick so will not be there at end of second
I'm thinking bottom if the first, top of the second.

He could go much earlier that though, but I think there is a chance he is there due to rawness.

I like hunt as an eventual smith replacement and if we lose smith or watt for anytime due to injury, I like him to get more snaps because of his versatility.

Even without accounting for sacks and pressure, having him and watt on the field at the same time would make it extremely difficult to throw over and around them.

If hunt reaches close to his full potential, he and watt together would easily form the most dominant d line in all of football.

They could be a pair that you remember for a long time...giving offenses all kinds of hell....
Old 01-23-2013   #5
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think dion jordan will be a mid first round draft pick. Somebody will fall in love with his upside, especially since he plays at a premium position imo. That guy is a freak. The only thing i don't understand is how he did not have 10+ sacks with that unreal skill set.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I think dion jordan will be a mid first round draft pick. Somebody will fall in love with his upside, especially since he plays at a premium position imo. That guy is a freak. The only thing i don't understand is how he did not have 10+ sacks with that unreal skill set.
He wasn't rushing the passer all the time. He was in coverage a bunch.

I think he could go earlier, but I've seen reports that he has a torn labrum. Also his weight might concern some teams...then you have to consider other players that teams might want instead...

But you could be completely right. The guy I wanted last year, Bruce Irvin went much higher than he was projected, so we'll see...
Old 01-23-2013   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61655 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Projected by who? I think he'll last till late 2nd early 3rd. Ton of physical ability but very raw. Too raw and not enough experience/tape against good competition to go in the first IMO.
Old 01-23-2013   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Da'Rick Rogers is my top rated WR right now ... the dude just gets open and makes plays. I think he will be taken at the tail end of round 1.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Da'Rick Rogers is my top rated WR right now ... the dude just gets open and makes plays. I think he will be taken at the tail end of round 1.
Hopefully by the Texans.

What are the chances BoB/Rick/Gary take a guy with Rodgers background?

If they pick him then you know Gary/Rick talked BoB into changing his philosophy on taking players with troubled backgrounds.
Old 01-23-2013   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Honestly I wish we could get two first round picks.

After the combine, my picks are destined to change.

You are probably right that he goes that high, but Either way , there are quite a few intriguing wr prospects in this draft...
Old 01-23-2013   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hopefully by the Texans.

What are the chances BoB/Rick/Gary take a guy with Rodgers background?

If they pick him then you know Gary/Rick talked BoB into changing his philosophy on taking players with troubled backgrounds.
My guess is "slim to none, and slim just left town," to use an old quote. He was kicked off Tennessee for a failed drug test. If it was a PED they might take a chance on him. Anything else and they will pass.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Dion Jordan, OLB

2) Margus Hunt, DE

2) Da'Rick Rogers, WR

3) Marcus Wheaton, WR

3) DJ Swearinger,S

5) Kenjon Barner, RB

I am a big fan of Rogers on the field and was one of first to mock him, yet I can keep hearing two words whispered "Ricky Williams". I even posted long time ago that his strength coach was a hard ass & perhaps caused some of friction. Then more and more weed seemed to come into evidence. Not sure if the playing for a lower level college got his attention. Think his ego will continue to get best of him in NFL.

I'd like to see a starting middle linebacker drafted.
Old 01-23-2013   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147190 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly I wish we could get two first round picks.

After the combine, my picks are destined to change.

You are probably right that he goes that high, but Either way , there are quite a few intriguing wr prospects in this draft...
I wouldnt mind having two late firsts ..... but I would be hard pressed to move the assets it would take to get another #1 as this draft is rich in talent with quality beyond the 3rd round .... and the team in need of help at multiple positions (22 FA's) with limited cap space , the draft is the place to replenish that lost depth.

Old 01-23-2013   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm going to trade Tate, a fourth and next years fourth for an extra second round pick

1) Dion Jordan, OLB

2) Margus Hunt, DE

2) Da'Rick Rogers, WR

3) Marcus Wheaton, WR

3) DJ Swearinger,S

5) Kenjon Barner, RB

6) Johnny Adams, CB

7) Manase Foketi, OL

7) Montori Hughes, NT (stealing this one from dopp)

Alright, I'm thinking let Walter walk. Time to get more talented younger players in here. I know da'rick has had problems but the talent is there. In think the team could use a little more edge anyways. I think Rogers and Wheaton would be an instant upgrade the talent in the wr corps.

While I agree that Walter isn't the best #2 and we need an upgrade, I think he's back next year in a necessary evil sort of way. Posey won't be back in time for the season, Martin is barely a #3 in the slot, Jean is or should be on the bubble of making the team, Rogers failed 3 drug tests to get kicked out of Tenn. and I doubt seriously McNair, Smith, and Kubiak want a pot head that doesn't learn from his mistakes, and Wheaton might be a good pick but he's a rookie and rookie WR take a year or 2 to learn. If the 1st round pick were a WR then maybe they'd have the talent level to step into Walter's shoes early but I doubt a rookie in the 3rd round is ready for that.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 01-24-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I wouldnt mind having two late firsts ..... but I would be hard pressed to move the assets it would take to get another #1 as this draft is rich in talent with quality beyond the 3rd round .... and the team in need of help at multiple positions (22 FA's) with limited cap space , the draft is the place to replenish that lost depth.
I I was going to make a trade it would be to get a mid 2nd rd pick.

Rd.1 Rodgers
Rd. 2. Bray, they've already got chemistry
Rd.2 Justin Pugh
Rd.3 comp pick Best LB
Old 01-24-2013   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I I was going to make a trade it would be to get a mid 2nd rd pick.

Rd.1 Rodgers
Rd. 2. Bray, they've already got chemistry
Rd.2 Justin Pugh
Rd.3 comp pick Best LB
What do you think it would take to get that mid second rounder ?? I assume by the above list the starting point is the Texans #3 and ???

I wouldnt complain about Rogers & Justin Pugh as they hit both my target needs on offense .... I know you like him but Im not sold on Bray or any of this years QB's being anything more than career backups. Then again , Schaub isnt going to get any better.

Old 01-25-2013   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What do you think it would take to get that mid second rounder ?? I assume by the above list the starting point is the Texans #3 and ???

I wouldnt complain about Rogers & Justin Pugh as they hit both my target needs on offense .... I know you like him but Im not sold on Bray or any of this years QB's being anything more than career backups. Then again , Schaub isnt going to get any better.
A 3rd and Tate to a RB needy team like the Bengals.

Or a 3rd 5th and 6th.

Either way with the comp picks being there, it would be worth it to move up.
Old 01-25-2013   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
While I agree that Walter isn't the best #2 and we need an upgrade, I think he's back next year in a necessary evil sort of way. Posey won't be back in time for the season, Martin is barely a #3 in the slot, Jean is or should be on the bubble of making the team, Rogers failed 3 drug tests to get kicked out of Tenn. and I doubt seriously McNair, Smith, and Kubiak want a pot head that doesn't learn from his mistakes, and Wheaton might be a good pick but he's a rookie and rookie WR take a year or 2 to learn. If the 1st round pick were a WR then maybe they'd have the talent level to step into Walter's shoes early but I doubt a rookie in the 3rd round is ready for that.
Good post! My thoughts bolded.
I want a starter in first round.
Old 01-25-2013   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
this is a good crop to debunk that norm

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read