Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 07-25-2012   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WRs who might be in the 2013 Draft

I like Terrance Williams but can't help but think his production and draft standing will fall a little due to RGIII and Wright being in the NFL now and a new QB taking over. Maybe we get lucky and can get him in the 2nd round.

Marcus Davis has just the opposite issue, low ranked guy with a very good QB that should help his production level and draft standing. Now in his senior year, with more experience, his production should go up.

The 2013 draft looks to have some good talent in the 1st and 2nd rounds but the talent level seems to drop off after that, not near the depth as this years draft class had. Hopefully some other guys can move up and make this a better draft class.

76Texan, what do you know about Jared Abbrederis-WR from Wisconsin. According to Walter he's got good size, great speed, and very good production last year. He lost his QB and opposite side WR to the NFL as well so his production may drop off but he could be one to keep an eye on.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This question wasn't directed to me,

But I watched Abbrederis last yr and he looked like Wilsons favorite WR to me.

He appeared to have great speed and really good hands. He also wasn't a one trick pony. While he may not be able to run a full route tree now. He knows how to run fly/outs,curls/short slants.

If my memory serves me correctly.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #23
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just noticed that Abbrederis is a redshirt sophmore this year and still has 2 yrs. of eligibility left. Also Walterfootball has him listed as 3rd or 4th round pick. Having lost his opposite side WR and also breaking in a new QB, I'm guessing his production would most likely drop and that he'll stay for at least one more year after this one and if he's good probably goes pro in the 2014 draft. A name to keep an eye on though.

I was watching some Keenan Allen-WR from Cal videos earlier today. It's easy to see why he's rated so high. Maybe we get lucky and the draft is deep so he might fall to us in the bottom of the 1st round. Probably wishful thinking.
Old 07-27-2012   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like everything about Abbrederis, except that he's not a guy who can stretch the field.

Yes, he did have 3 drops in 14 games.
Yes, he did have one fumble on a return (not caused by the opponent.)

But you look at the number of touches he had (counting defensive PIs and catches called back due to holding by the O-line, etc.) as compared to KMart, this guy is evern more sure-handed.

He's not as explosive as Martin; he's not as quick, but he's very deceptive.
Playing in the same conference, his average is better than KMart in every category (ypc, yd per punt return and KO return). And he already had more TD receving than KMart 11/10 while playing quite a bit less.

The main thing is that he's a very smart player who's gifted with a great vision.

He understands coverage scheme (both on defense and special team).
He understands the angle of approach an opponent may take and he works of it very well.
Basically, he knows where the daylight is.

This guy fits the Texans to a T.
Wisconsin's bread and butter is also the play action.
He walked on after playing as a running QB in HS (and defensive back).
He also competed in wrestling and track & field.
He earned a scholarship this past January.
He's really the embodiment of a real college athlete.

He's a type of true All-American guy, very good at a lot of things, but not really a grand master of anything. But he works hard at it and seems to be very humble.

This is what he tweeted when he finally got the scholarship this last January:

"Praise God for blessing me with a scholarship, signed the papers today!" Abbrederis wrote. "All the hard work has paid off!"

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...9bb2963f4.html

High School: Wisconsin Football Coaches Association first-team all-state quarterback ... conference offensive player of the year as a senior ... first-team all-conference defensive back and quarterback as a senior ... member of WIAA Division IV state championship team as a senior ... second-team all-conference quarterback and first-team all-conference defensive back as a junior ... second-team all-conference quarterback as a sophomore ... threw for 1,657 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior ... finished his career with 3,014 passing yards and 30 touchdowns ... rushed for 1,490 yards as a senior, averaging 8.4 yards per carry, 106.4 yards per game and had 26 rushing touchdowns ... two-time team captain ... also competed in track and wrestling ... named Gatorade track athlete of the year and BFS Male National Athlete of the Year as a senior ... three-time conference champion 110m high hurdles ... two-time state champion and state record holder in 110m high hurdles ... state champion as a senior in 300m hurdles.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I just noticed that Abbrederis is a redshirt sophmore this year and still has 2 yrs. of eligibility left. Also Walterfootball has him listed as 3rd or 4th round pick. Having lost his opposite side WR and also breaking in a new QB, I'm guessing his production would most likely drop and that he'll stay for at least one more year after this one and if he's good probably goes pro in the 2014 draft. A name to keep an eye on though.

I was watching some Keenan Allen-WR from Cal videos earlier today. It's easy to see why he's rated so high. Maybe we get lucky and the draft is deep so he might fall to us in the bottom of the 1st round. Probably wishful thinking.
I just started to watch and learn about O'Brien, the FA QB that will replace Wilson next year. He seems to be very inconsistent, not sure how much was his fault and how much was due to cirscumstances (coaching changes).

Good! I see that you agree on Keenan Allen.
Like I said, it will depend on how many underclassmen that choose to declare; this upcoming draft class may end up being deeper and more talented than the last one.

There are other guys I'm still studying (I watched many of them already last year, but haven't dug deep enough yet because I knew it wasn't their time yet).
Old 07-31-2012   #26
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I like everything about Abbrederis, except that he's not a guy who can stretch the field.

Yes, he did have 3 drops in 14 games.
Yes, he did have one fumble on a return (not caused by the opponent.)

But you look at the number of touches he had (counting defensive PIs and catches called back due to holding by the O-line, etc.) as compared to KMart, this guy is evern more sure-handed.

He's not as explosive as Martin; he's not as quick, but he's very deceptive.
Playing in the same conference, his average is better than KMart in every category (ypc, yd per punt return and KO return). And he already had more TD receving than KMart 11/10 while playing quite a bit less.

The main thing is that he's a very smart player who's gifted with a great vision.

He understands coverage scheme (both on defense and special team).
He understands the angle of approach an opponent may take and he works of it very well.
Basically, he knows where the daylight is.

This guy fits the Texans to a T.
Wisconsin's bread and butter is also the play action.
He walked on after playing as a running QB in HS (and defensive back).
He also competed in wrestling and track & field.
He earned a scholarship this past January.
He's really the embodiment of a real college athlete.

He's a type of true All-American guy, very good at a lot of things, but not really a grand master of anything. But he works hard at it and seems to be very humble.

This is what he tweeted when he finally got the scholarship this last January:

"Praise God for blessing me with a scholarship, signed the papers today!" Abbrederis wrote. "All the hard work has paid off!"

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...9bb2963f4.html

High School: Wisconsin Football Coaches Association first-team all-state quarterback ... conference offensive player of the year as a senior ... first-team all-conference defensive back and quarterback as a senior ... member of WIAA Division IV state championship team as a senior ... second-team all-conference quarterback and first-team all-conference defensive back as a junior ... second-team all-conference quarterback as a sophomore ... threw for 1,657 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior ... finished his career with 3,014 passing yards and 30 touchdowns ... rushed for 1,490 yards as a senior, averaging 8.4 yards per carry, 106.4 yards per game and had 26 rushing touchdowns ... two-time team captain ... also competed in track and wrestling ... named Gatorade track athlete of the year and BFS Male National Athlete of the Year as a senior ... three-time conference champion 110m high hurdles ... two-time state champion and state record holder in 110m high hurdles ... state champion as a senior in 300m hurdles.
BTW, another thing I really like about Acrabadera is that he ALWAYS worked to keep both feet in bound.

He didn't have too, but he did.
That's a very good trait from a receiver (hardly seen) in college.
I was really impressed with that facet of his game.

Oh, and he can make catches like the one Casey made in the New Orleans game, too.
Old 12-22-2012   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Bump
Old 12-22-2012   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
He's not ranked by Walterfootball and CBS has him as an UDFA, so naturally the Texans will be looking at him in the 3rd round.
he is now. He is ranked 16th
Old 12-23-2012   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
he is now. He is ranked 16th
Yeah, I'm ahead of them.

Walter projects Marcus Davis betwee round 2 and 4 now.

I currently have him as value in the third round due to the "potential" upside.

All the receivers I had in this thread are doing at least as well as expected.
Old 01-22-2013   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dolphins want a receiver in the draft, there isn’t a clear-cut favorite
Quote:
Unfortunately for the Dolphins, most draft experts agree that this year’s receiver crop is short on elite talent. The draft will feature several solid mid-round players — including many who are showcasing their talents here at the Senior Bowl this week — but no instant stars like a Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Julio Jones.

“There are two problems with this receiver draft — there’s no dominant receiver, and it’s a problem of size,” said Sports Illustrated draft expert Tony Pauline. “Last year, four of the top five guys were all at least 6-3 and 210 pounds. But there’s not a lot of size in this receiver group. You’re basically looking at a bunch of No. 2 or 3 type guys.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What is exciting is that we should be able to take care of most if not all our weak areas with a good draft. At first I was wanting a trade up but now a trade down from #27 may be more fruitful. Anyone think we can trade a 3 & 5 for for a second like we did two drafts ago with NE? Pats did have two seconds that year which could make difference. Miami has two in second and two in third IIRC.
Old 01-22-2013   #32
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I agree with srono, Marcus Wheaton looks like another fine player.

Love his ability to start and stop, and restart.

Makes a lot of difficult catches that will translate to the next level.

Nice stutter step and double move.

Good hips to change lanes in traffic for YAC.

Looks pretty explosive and scrambles well on broken play.

Man, it's going to be hard to place all of these guys.
Old 01-22-2013   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

This looks like a good draft to grab a wr. If I'm the texans I'd consider taking two and letting Walter go.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This looks like a good draft to grab a wr. If I'm the texans I'd consider taking two and letting Walter go.
Roll that dice. We certainly have enough picks.
Old 01-23-2013   #35
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If we can fill another need position or 2 in FA, then this isn't such a bad idea. A really good WR in the 1st and then a project guy who only needs a little work in the 3B or 4.
Old 01-23-2013   #36
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see us drafting a wr in the 2nd but i think it is anybody's guess who will be there when we pick. The 3 guys who i am pretty damn sure will not be there are deandre hopkins, cordarrelle patterson, and quinton patton. Patton seems to be distinguishing himself from the pack at the senior bowl. Looks like a mid second round pick. Other than that i have no idea. I do believe that there will be a guy there like robert woods, da'rick rogers, justin hunter...i have a feeling there will be a good receiver when we pick in the 2nd. If we go wr in the 1st i could see it being deandre hopkins. Patterson will be long gone imo and i doubt we reach for patton.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 01-23-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Quinton Patton not Quinton Patterson
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree with srono, Marcus Wheaton looks like another fine player.

Love his ability to start and stop, and restart.

Makes a lot of difficult catches that will translate to the next level.

Nice stutter step and double move.

Good hips to change lanes in traffic for YAC.

Looks pretty explosive and scrambles well on broken play.

Man, it's going to be hard to place all of these guys.
Wheaton vs Trufant (projected 1st to 2nd round).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrPsnQWU6kA

The lowest production he had in a game this year was against Washington.
He caught two passes early but then was hit (helmet to helmet I think) and missed the rest of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB7rRmzwJSE

He came back with 2 consecutive 100yd games, a 98yd game, a 99yd game, and another 100yd game.

Then came the Alamo Bowl against Texas.
Oregon St. was without their starting QB (who has been inconsistent all year).
The backup QB went 15-28 (missing 13 throws) for 194 yards and 2 INts.
Wheaton caught 3 passes for 37 yards; he also ran 4 times for 26 yards.
I will try to watch that game tonight to see what happened.
Old 02-07-2013   #38
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Both ESPN experts have us going WR in the first round.

They also both have Matt Barkley still there I think.

Would Barkley be a good choice?
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #39
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like Justin Hunter WR Tennessee and I think he will be there in the second round for us. I think we will go BPA on defense up the middle (NT, ILB or S) in round 1.
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT22 View Post
I really like Justin Hunter WR Tennessee and I think he will be there in the second round for us. I think we will go BPA on defense up the middle (NT, ILB or S) in round 1.
After the Combine I think Hunter will be considered a 1st round pick and even IF he does fall to the 2nd round he would surely be a very early 2nd round pick. I see no way that he's still available at #57. He needs to bulk up a little, but I think he's worth our #27 pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read