Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2013   #41
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock off-season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I don't think Welker would come here for the simple fact he is terrified of the Reliant turf. He hates the turf at Reliant ever since he blew his knee out.

I think Antonio is going to be a cap casualty this offseason...Sucks but I think they were impressed enough with Crick to replace Smith...

as for the mock, holy crap Amazing, bring on the offseason already!

and you are correct, if this was anybody else, mainly one particular poster who likes to write boring, uninteresting articles because he/she is a wannabe journalist, I move on. BUT it's you and a mock sooo...

Read on young scholars...
I actually think Owen Daniels has a better chance of being a casualty than Smith. Smith is under rated as hell around here and if anything, they could extend him some and re work his deal to lower his hit. OD on the other hand still struggles blocking and GG has shown the ability to be a reliable catcher. Not saying I am in favor of this, we do seem to be good at acquiring good TEs and we need to create space somewhere....
Old 01-21-2013   #42
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Qb - Matt Schaub, TJ Yates
RB - Arian Foster, Justin Forsett, Mike James
FB - Tyler Clutts, Braden Wilson
WR - Andre Johnson, Cordarrelle Patterson, Wes Welker, Devier Posey, Keyshawn Martin
TE - Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham, Zach Sudfeld
LT - Duane Brown, Rick Wagner, Andrew Gardner
OG - Wade Smith, Cody White
C - Chris Myers, Ben Jones
OG - Brandon Brooks, David Quessenberry
RT - Derek Newton, Ryan Harris

DE - Antonio Smith, Jared Crick
NT - Kawann Short, Earl Mitchell
DE - JJ Watt, Joe Vellano
OLB - Connor Barwin, Whitney Mercilus, Bryan Braman
ILB - Brian Cushing, AJ Klein, Bradie James, Mister Alexander
OLB - Brooks Reed, Victor Butler
CB - JJo, Kareem Jackson, Alan Ball, Brandon Harris, Tyrann Mathieu, Roc CarMichael
SS - Daniel Manning, Cooper Taylor, Eddie Pheasant
FS - Glover Quin, Shiloh Keo

P - Ryan Allen
K - Randy Bullock

I dont see that as an improvement overall from what the team ended the season with .... starting with the OL

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #43
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont see that as an improvement overall from what the team ended the season with .... starting with the OL
Sorry to burst your bubble but we're not gonna scrap 2nd year players on the right side. They will have full chance to take another step forward. We added a play maker at WR and NT and added depth throughout the team. What do you expect in one off-season?
Old 01-21-2013   #44
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you allow the guys I propose to walk, you get 12.528 million back. If you cut Walter thats another 3.5 bringing it up to 16.028. Here is what is interesting though.

The genius of Rick Smith is actually in his cap ability. He is actually better than you think. Foster and Brown, Joseph, Myers, Smith and Manning increase about 3.5 million ALL TOGETHER next season. But Schaub actually goes down about 1 million. Meaning for all those guys, we only increase the salary roughly 2 M.

The problem is Andre, Antonio and Owen increase pay SUBSTANTIALLY. I would honestly expect them to re-do their deals or be cut/traded (except Andre, not sure he can do anything with his deal). If they re-do Smith and OD we will be in GREAT shape to add a piece or 2, nothing crazy, but something to help the team and still have money for draft picks. I would expect something big to happen this off-season as we prepare to sign Cushing, Watt and Kareem Jackson.
Can't go with genius and Rick in same sentance unless there is a "not" in there also. (1) Kept Mario when there was no way we would ever resign him under any circumstance. We lost value there. We might have been able to keep some of the players we had to let go plus/or had multiple draft choices (2) Resigned MS to long extension this year.

Building a team that lasts is all about buying low and selling high. We do buy low for the most part ( I still question the purchase price of MS) but I don't think we have ever sold high or sold at any price for that matter. I take that back I think we got something for someone last year, but we did not sell high.
Just my opinion.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #45
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Can't go with genius and Rick in same sentance unless there is a "not" in there also. (1) Kept Mario when there was no way we would ever resign him under any circumstance. We lost value there. We might have been able to keep some of the players we had to let go plus/or had multiple draft choices (2) Resigned MS to long extension this year.

Building a team that lasts is all about buying low and selling high. We do buy low for the most part ( I still question the purchase price of MS) but I don't think we have ever sold high or sold at any price for that matter. I take that back I think we got something for someone last year, but we did not sell high.
Just my opinion.
Were getting a 3rd for Mario through comp picks, maybe no one would give us anything better....knowing we wouldn't keep him anyway.....sometimes its not what it seems.
Old 01-21-2013   #46
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but we're not gonna scrap 2nd year players on the right side. They will have full chance to take another step forward. We added a play maker at WR and NT and added depth throughout the team. What do you expect in one off-season?
Newton is a 6th round draft pick who performed .... better than his draft status but far below what was needed in the running game. He was pretty solid in pass protection .... I would like to see him as the swing tackle going forward and the team improve the RT spot either thru FA or an early draft pick.

McNair even stated that if they expect to run the ball better the OL has to improve.

I see them addressing RT and WR with either early draft picks (rounds 1-2) or significant FA additions.

In the mid rounds I see ILB / OLB and DB being addressed.

Old 01-21-2013   #47
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Newton is a 6th round draft pick who performed .... better than his draft status but far below what was needed in the running game. He was pretty solid in pass protection .... I would like to see him as the swing tackle going forward and the team improve the RT spot either thru FA or an early draft pick.

McNair even stated that if they expect to run the ball better the OL has to improve.

I see them addressing RT and WR with either early draft picks (rounds 1-2) or significant FA additions.

In the mid rounds I see ILB / OLB and DB being addressed.
Ricky Wagner has tons of potential and comes from a pro style offense in Wisconsin. I drafted him and he would immediately push Newton, but I doubt Gary gives up on Newton that soon, just not his MO
Old 01-21-2013   #48
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ricky Wagner has tons of potential and comes from a pro style offense in Wisconsin. I drafted him and he would immediately push Newton, but I doubt Gary gives up on Newton that soon, just not his MO
I dont see Newton or Jones as the starters on the right side next season ..... Jones was passed late in the season by Brooks and Newton just isnt good enough as a run blocker.

I know a lot of people think like you do about Gary .... but I dont think the shoe fits. They know they have to run the ball better next season than they did over the final half of this one .... or they will be on the outside looking in again. Gary's said it , Bob's said it , Rick's said it - We need to get better up front. That aint no smoke screen.

They might not do it in the draft but they will address the RT spot ...

Old 01-21-2013   #49
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Were getting a 3rd for Mario through comp picks, maybe no one would give us anything better....knowing we wouldn't keep him anyway.....sometimes its not what it seems.
How do you know we get a 3rd round pick?
Also a trade would have freed up 18 mil of cap space that we could have used for other purposes.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #50
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
How do you know we get a 3rd round pick?
Also a trade would have freed up 18 mil of cap space that we could have used for other purposes.
Its a compensatory pick .... It'll most definately be a 3rd rounder based upon MW's contract alone.

Briesel and Dreesen should net us at least 5th and 7th rounders. Possibly two 5th's tho I think thats remote.

Old 01-22-2013   #51
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Its a compensatory pick .... It'll most definately be a 3rd rounder based upon MW's contract alone.

Briesel and Dreesen should net us at least 5th and 7th rounders. Possibly two 5th's tho I think thats remote.
Lots of places suggest a 3rd and 3 6ths

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read