Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2013   #21
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34789 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Would take D. Brown again..... It took Flacco how many seasons to finally break thru even with that dominant defense he has had for years....come on now lets be real.
Thank you!
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #22
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34789 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
Just because this was the first time we made it to the playoffs with him at QB doesn't mean it qualifies as his "first shot at the SB." All of those years where we didn't make the playoffs count too.
That's a good point, but at the same time, you have to admit this is his first legit shot at making the SB. Flacco always had the luxury of a dominant defense to help him win games.
Old 01-21-2013   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 Trade results in Flacco & D Brown

A lot of if'ing going on in this thread...

"that's water under the bridge"
"that horse is already out of the barn"
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #24
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
while this seems like a no brainer, if they werent completely incompetant at picking someone else at qb, like not weeden, then Thomas would be the better pick.
IMO
They could quite possibly be that bad at picking an LT though and Matt Ryan might be a vegetable at this point. It's an interesting thought exercise though.
Old 01-21-2013   #25
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Should the Browns have taken Matt Ryan or Joe Thomas?
What? Matt Ryan was drafted in 2008. Joe Thomas was drafted in 2007. Both were the 3rd overall pick in their drafts.

Maybe you're thinking of Jake Long and the Dolphins at #1 in 2008.
Old 01-21-2013   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
This is Flacco's 5th chance at making the SB, and he finally gets in. Schaub had one shot, missed, but now people are having this Flacco love affair? I don't get it.

If Flacco can get the Ravens to the SB, then Schaub can do the same with the Texans. We just need the defense to play as well as the Raven's D in the playoffs.
Why do you jump to "love affair"? I merely posted an idea to see what others thought. Rein it in a bit big boy.
Old 01-21-2013   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
We just traded 2 second round picks for Schaub. Why on earth would we draft a QB in the first round after that?
2007 stats were 2241 and 204 yds per game avg not exactly breath taking. IIRC and I think I do many were not too please with the trade that off season.

Last edited by badboy; 01-21-2013 at 12:38 PM.
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
A lot of if'ing going on in this thread...

"that's water under the bridge"
"that horse is already out of the barn"

However, BB is a draftnik; he just likes to talk scenarios, that's all.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
2007 stats were 2241 and 204 yds per game avg not exactly breath taking. IIRC and I think I do many were not oo please with the trade that off season.
It was just too bad that Ahman Green didn't work out.
Slaton was supposed to be a change-of-pace back, not a workhorse.

On top of that, Alex Gibbs came a bit late.
And then we didn't run as much outside zone as we've been doing the last few years.

I imagine, they wanted to emphasize to the linemen and the running backs on the one-cut, downhill style first.
Old 01-21-2013   #30
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Why do you jump to "love affair"? I merely posted an idea to see what others thought. Rein it in a bit big boy.
Sorry if it seems like I jumped all over your post... but I'm hearing it from alot of people in here of how great Flacco is and "wish" we had him instead of Schaub.
Old 01-21-2013   #31
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2007 stats were 2241 and 204 yds per game avg not exactly breath taking. IIRC and I think I do many were not oo please with the trade that off season.
Not including the 3 games where he was knocked out with injuries:

8 Games
2,107 yards
263 Yards per game
67% completion percentage
8.2 Yards per attempt
9 TDs
7 Ints

Pretty nice stat line for a first year starter.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #32
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Why didn't we take Brady in the first round in 2000?

And don't even use the excuse that we didn't have a team, that's such a cop out.

My first good laugh of the day. Thank you sir.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

My first good laugh of the day. Thank you sir.
Yeah, that was a really good one!
Old 01-21-2013   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

I think Slaton in the third was an awesome pick. He was thought to be a first rounder by many and I said no way but to get him in third? I was ecstatic. Dump on David Carr all you want (and you will) if Tony Boselli had been healthy, it could have been a whole nother thing. I would make that trade again today knowing the outcome. Barber had the size and pretty good skills.

I hope that another team will want to trade up to our #27 and offer a comparable package.
Old 01-21-2013   #35
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Would take D. Brown again..... It took Flacco how many seasons to finally break thru even with that dominant defense he has had for years....come on now lets be real.
Break through? Did you just start watching football this year? He's lead his team to the playoffs every single year he has been in the league....it would be nice to have that consistancy. Keep in mind, Baltimore's defenses are not what they use to be. But they have had steady leadership and great coaching.

But in hindsight I'd take D.Brown again, especially since you just traded 2 second rounders for a QB. Of course if we could do it all over again I'd keep the 2 second rounders and draft Flacco.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #36
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is Flacco's 5th chance at making the SB, and he finally gets in. Schaub had one shot, missed, but now people are having this Flacco love affair? I don't get it.

If Flacco can get the Ravens to the SB, then Schaub can do the same with the Texans. We just need the defense to play as well as the Raven's D in the playoffs.
Your logic is flawed on so many levels, one just has to laugh....First of all, how is showing some respect to Flacco termed a "love affair"? Grow up. Schaub and Flacco are two different QBs with different skill sets. Flacco has taken his team to the playoffs 5 times in a row. How many chances did Schaub have to get this team in the playoffs?

So Schaub finally gets in, ONCE with a team where he isn't even in the top 5 of most important Texans(Watt, Brown, Foster, Andre, Cush). A team that went just as far with our back up QB from last year. Schaub didn't "take a shot" and miss. He never bothered to even take a shot. Its clear to me that Schaub is a bus driver QB, not a QB that can carry his team the way Flacco has done before and did yesterday.

The Ravens are just a better coached team, with better collective talent. To get where we want to go, change is necessary, otherwise we will be stuck in contender mediocrity and the window will close. There is nothing wrong with showing respect to an opponent.
Old 01-21-2013   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
Your logic is flawed on so many levels, one just has to laugh....First of all, how is showing some respect to Flacco termed a "love affair"? Grow up. Schaub and Flacco are two different QBs with different skill sets. Flacco has taken his team to the playoffs 5 times in a row. How many chances did Schaub have to get this team in the playoffs?

So Schaub finally gets in, ONCE with a team where he isn't even in the top 5 of most important Texans(Watt, Brown, Foster, Andre, Cush). A team that went just as far with our back up QB from last year. Schaub didn't "take a shot" and miss. He never bothered to even take a shot. Its clear to me that Schaub is a bus driver QB, not a QB that can carry his team the way Flacco has done before and did yesterday.

The Ravens are just a better coached team, with better collective talent. To get where we want to go, change is necessary, otherwise we will be stuck in contender mediocrity and the window will close. There is nothing wrong with showing respect to an opponent.
It's a good thing to give respect to an opponent.
I give the Ravens a lot of credit.

They had a top 3 defense ever since Flacco was on board.
This year, they took some hits to rest some of their defensive players for the play-offs.

They have had a good running game, too - even before they signed Leach.
Don't just look at the stats.
They've been able to keep their offensive unit very healthy as compared to the Texans.

And this is one of the key throughout the last several years.
Their older players have been able to stay healthy and/or to keep up their level of play while the younger ones develop.

The same cannot be said about the Texans.
They have had a bunch of players missing time or playing more hurt.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact.
Old 01-21-2013   #38
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post

Sorry, maybe the term "love affair" was poorly chosen.

The main point I'm trying to convey is football is a team game, but it seems like many people have forgotten that. Flacco didn't get the Ravens into the SB (or 5 straight playoffs), just like Schaub didn't lose to the Patriots. Wins and losses go far beyond just the QB.
Old 01-21-2013   #39
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Quote:
Sorry, maybe the term "love affair" was poorly chosen.

The main point I'm trying to convey is football is a team game, but it seems like many people have forgotten that. Flacco didn't get the Ravens into the SB (or 5 straight playoffs), just like Schaub didn't lose to the Patriots. Wins and losses go far beyond just the QB.
It is a team game, I'm the first to always say that. But some teams just have better parts. Me and others are just giving Flacco due respect.
Old 01-21-2013   #40
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Well if we're going to crazy world of dreams land, I'd rather us have drafted Aaron Rodgers instead of Travis Johnson in 2005.
Or Roddy White or Heath Miller or Logan Mankins... all three were 1st rounders after Johnson.

But seriously, the draft what if game is a very sad one to play. Everyone misses at some point. Some are unlucky and other teams are habitual missers.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read