Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2013   #41
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will we and/or Should we keep Antonio Smith for the 2013 Season ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Actually Jones is a bit smaller. Jones 6'3" 303lbs/ Briesel 6'5" 310lbs/ Caldwell 6'3" 315lbs. Added Caldwell just for comparison.

Jones needs to bulk up w/ strength. He simply got manhandled by Suh & Wilfork. Both are no easy task for any o-lineman, but Jones was tossed like a rag doll on a few occasions.
This has been and always will be the problem with the zbs, in no world will smaller olinmen be able to handle massive nt's, hasn't worked since the 90s. The system is to get guys moving side to side along the line and then bursting through an opening, but when you try to run it up the gut, in short yardage situations or near the goal line (within the 5) we struggle, we get no push. Unless we keep getting 330 pound linemen who are nimble on their feet, we will continue to struggle vs mammoth nose tackles.
Old 01-21-2013   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Could be a draft pick HOU should have a extra 3rd round pick in draft or GM Smith has had success on picking up guys other teams discard.
I've researched Alvin Bailey a lot, had an off year as did many on the Arkansas team due to upheavel with coaching. Still, I see Wade SMith playing out his last year & allowing more seasoning for our newer guys. I may be hoping too much for Brooks but he could be awesome when he gets snapped in. I already have my picks pretty much locked in as far as position anyway & don't want to have to change unless we are bring in a vet.
Old 01-21-2013   #43
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
This has been and always will be the problem with the zbs, in no world will smaller olinmen be able to handle massive nt's, hasn't worked since the 90s. The system is to get guys moving side to side along the line and then bursting through an opening, but when you try to run it up the gut, in short yardage situations or near the goal line (within the 5) we struggle, we get no push. Unless we keep getting 330 pound linemen who are nimble on their feet, we will continue to struggle vs mammoth nose tackles.
I was actually referring to him being manhandled while pass protecting, but yes, i agree, there are issues w/ running up the middle for short yardage as well. Jones was simply getting pushed or tossed out of the way too often & providing slim to no protection for Schaub. He has to be able to dig in & hold his ground to some degree.

Hardly the lone reason for Schaub's poor play, but it still needs to be addressed because it seems we may have a qb that needs everything outside of his control to be executed perfectly for him to be effective.

Off the subject- what other site where you referring to that you frequent, if you dont mind me asking?
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #44
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Outside of Barwin, players usually perform at their best in a contract year...keep him and draft someone this year to replace him to learn for a year.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #45
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was actually referring to him being manhandled while pass protecting, but yes, i agree, there are issues w/ running up the middle for short yardage as well. Jones was simply getting pushed or tossed out of the way too often & providing slim to no protection for Schaub. He has to be able to dig in & hold his ground to some degree.

Hardly the lone reason for Schaub's poor play, but it still needs to be addressed because it seems we may have a qb that needs everything outside of his control to be executed perfectly for him to be effective.

Off the subject- what other site where you referring to that you frequent, if you dont mind me asking?
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...forum.php?f=18

Im amazingandre over there
Old 01-21-2013   #46
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting. I never knew they had MB's. I've read some reviews on prospects there in the past, but that is about it. That was a good story on Braman as well. I knew he had issues in the past, but didn't know the details. Might have to take a look over there from time to time. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-2013   #47
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Interesting. I never knew they had MB's. I've read some reviews on prospects there in the past, but that is about it. That was a good story on Braman as well. I knew he had issues in the past, but didn't know the details. Might have to take a look over there from time to time. Thanks for the info.
No problem. The board over there is significantly different. The board itself is based on the entire NFL with team specific forums. The Texans have a good size following and very intelligent posters. BUT the Mods throughout that forum are MUCH more strict than this one, which is good but can be bad too. The small bickering that happens on forums can get nipped in the bud quickly there even when you haven't stepped out of line that bad. The opinions on the Texans and the team is quite different from here a lot too. Its nice to get the different perspectives.
Old 01-21-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think you're overstating this a little bit.

From what I've read for a few years now, actually the trend of Olinemen has been on the reversal.

An NFL Olineman averages around 310 nowadays, with the college guys just over 302.

The Ravens, for example (according to ProFootball Reference) had 3 guys at 309, 307, and 300.

They didn't have any problem against the Pats.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #49
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think you're overstating this a little bit.

From what I've read for a few years now, actually the trend of Olinemen has been on the reversal.

An NFL Olineman averages around 310 nowadays, with the college guys just over 302.

The Ravens, for example (according to ProFootball Reference) had 3 guys at 309, 307, and 300.

They didn't have any problem against the Pats.
They average 3.7 a carry and we averaged just over 4, so yea, they struggled running the ball.
Old 01-21-2013   #50
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
No problem. The board over there is significantly different. The board itself is based on the entire NFL with team specific forums. The Texans have a good size following and very intelligent posters. BUT the Mods throughout that forum are MUCH more strict than this one, which is good but can be bad too. The small bickering that happens on forums can get nipped in the bud quickly there even when you haven't stepped out of line that bad. The opinions on the Texans and the team is quite different from here a lot too. Its nice to get the different perspectives.
The HT MB isn't much better. I was a frequent poster over there, but a select few mods seem to be experiencing some issues w/ having power & insist that you obey their every command despite you not violating any forum rules. Just simply because they say so & if you disagree they ban you. Its a complete joke IMO. I've actually enjoyed my experience over here much more to be honest. Good discussion w/ fans & less homers who seem to be catered to on the HT MB.

I enjoy learning everything I can about the Texans, players, & the NFL. Different perspectives makes for good debate & I always enjoy that. Once again, thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-2013   #51
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
The HT MB isn't much better. I was a frequent poster over there, but a select few mods seem to be experiencing some issues w/ having power & insist that you obey their every command despite you not violating any forum rules. Just simply because they say so & if you disagree they ban you. Its a complete joke IMO. I've actually enjoyed my experience over here much more to be honest. Good discussion w/ fans & less homers who seem to be catered to on the HT MB.

I enjoy learning everything I can about the Texans, players, & the NFL. Different perspectives makes for good debate & I always enjoy that. Once again, thanks for the info.
haha yea, I know all about HT.com.....I was there back in the day, but I was just out of high school and had a bad attitude when people disagreed with me, I was banned for life from ht.com and actually this site, but after a few years and getting a new ip address I made a new account here
Old 01-21-2013   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They average 3.7 a carry and we averaged just over 4, so yea, they struggled running the ball.
Don't look at just one number.
If you like numbers, one important number is fumble.

You can gain 40 yards on a play and it would not do you any good when you fumble the ball.

But let's not digress.
Old 01-21-2013   #53
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:

You can gain 40 yards on a play and it would not do you any good when you fumble the ball.

But let's not digress.

Just playing devils advocate with ya. I think we need to keep the zbs but find bigger guys, like Brooks...hopefully Gary is realizing this
Old 01-21-2013   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

But let's not digress.
Quote:
Just playing devils advocate with ya. I think we need to keep the zbs but find bigger guys, like Brooks...hopefully Gary is realizing this
Just want to clarify my points a little bit.

They converted 3 third and short with the run
They scored on the goal line with the run.
Rice made something out of nothing on a couple of plays as not to leave the offense in too bad of a situation.
They chewed out the clock with 9 running plays and 2 kneel downs by Flacco.

All of those intances bring down the average (or at least, supposedly, most of the time.)

Obviously, we like to find big guys that are athletic.
Brown was one (the Texans had him trimmed down when he reported to camp a little overweight, however.)
Same thing with Brooks.

On the other hand, they bulked Newton up a little bit since he has the height/frame.
Old 01-21-2013   #55
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If he wants to much money, he's gone. If they can sign him for something reasonable, he'll for sure be back. There's no reason NOT to bring him back if it's a reasonable contract.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #56
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard to say with Smith. Really like him a lot, but he's never been a big time play maker to me, but he is very solid. I'll support whatever decision they make on him unless he gets way over paid. I'd like to have him back, but only at a certain cost.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #57
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If he wants to much money, he's gone. If they can sign him for something reasonable, he'll for sure be back. There's no reason NOT to bring him back if it's a reasonable contract.
Hes already signed for next season but at like 9.5 million.
Old 01-21-2013   #58
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To much in my opinion, but for one season it might not hurt. It depends on how that would effect our ability to get other guys or re-sign other guys.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #59
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
To much in my opinion, but for one season it might not hurt. It depends on how that would effect our ability to get other guys or re-sign other guys.
I think it is too, but I said I would resign him, add 2 years (keeping him for 3 total) and spreading out the hit more. Lowering his cap this season in the process.
Old 01-21-2013   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
$6M base, $1.3M in roster and/or incentive bonus.
$2.5M on top is the prorated signing bonus when he first signed the contract.

He already restructured, losing some of the value of his original contract.

Basically, he already gave the Texans a discount.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read