Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2013   #141
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Won't Rule Out Drafting QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Evidently, we have two MB members that are as naive about NFL injuries and NFL Injury Reports as they are new to TexansTalk. The NFL is the only game that requires such a report weekly........not for any benefit of the teams or their opponents but for the benefit of the boys in Vegas. The biggest running joke about the injury report isn't its accuracy but its reason for being in the first place. No other professional sport requires an injury report like the NFL and the assumption has always been that it exists solely to aid the business of gambling on NFL games, a huge (and underrated) driver of the NFL's popularity. Injury reports make it easier to feel safer about placing a bet. Those bets drive interest, and subsequently profit. The NFL puts so much importance on the Injury Report, that they fine teams a whole whopping $20,000 for not reporting injuries (that'll really break an NFL team's piggy bank) .......and the 19 times that has happened in the last 15 years were all because the players went stupidly public with significant injuries that their teams were hiding. Coaches have ALWAYS screwed around with their Injury Reports. [ Here's a pertinent 2007 USA TODAY article to that effect: Analysis: Injury report is game within the game ]

[And for a recent article that also tells it like it is: John Harbaugh sees 'no value' in NFL injury reports]

I have taken care of my share of Oilers and Texans players and their families over the years.........I could tell you stories of injuries that were kept hidden that would have your hair standing on end. When presenting my observations and opinions on Schaub and his foot, whether one may agree or disagree with them, those opinions are the furthest thing from a apologist standpoint.

Finally, you cannot see any reason that the team from the top down at this point in time would have to not admit to a post Lisfranc repaired foot specifically negatively affecting Schaub's performance? I would suggest that you give it one more good ole try for the Gipper.
I've been on this forum long enough to know that when you say a mofo is injured, that mofo is injured. Your observations have been vindicated far too many times.

There were times Schaub wasn't even following through on his throws. Either because the pain is still there or his confidence in his foot isn't back, Schaub was favoring that foot.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #142
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 75430 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Other than Bridgewater next yrs class doesn't look too good either. I really like Bray and Dysert in the 2nd rd. Both have strong arms and are mobile enough.

What do you think about Bray/Dysert, or any other QB that you think might be a good fit?
Honestly you can make a case for any qb and you can make a case why NOT to take a qb, the best part is though, almost ALL of the qbs we would be interested in will be in the senior bowl this week. Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, Zac Dysert, Tyler Wilson, EJ Manuel AND Landry Jones all in the senior bowl 9practices start tomorrow!!!!)
Old 01-20-2013   #143
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not claiming Injury is sole responsible for his poor play. But due to the injury I'm saying this is as good as it's going to get.

As far as the injury report goes, Yea Gary has always been a model of honesty/integity when it comes to the injury report. Just like all of the other HC's in the NFL. LOL

Garys mentor, Shaany let his QB play on a bum leg in the playoffs, but Garys different etc...

Lets just agree to disagree and move on. Nothing short of Gary coming over to your house and personally telling you is going to change your mind. I mean a respected surgeon is telling you the medical dynamics and you still will have none of this facts thingy. I should've known that your mind wouldn't change and I should've laughed and moved on.
Lol! I never said that HC's don't manipulate the report. In fact I said quite the contrary. And once again, you allude to injury that was reported concerning Shanahan. Hardly the same case that you are making, but you are correct I will wait to hear it from Schaub, McNair, kubiak, assistant coaches, teammates, or even his wife before I acknowledge that that is the sole reason he played poorly. No disrespect to the doctor, but I would appreciate information from a source close to Schaub or the Texans.

Did Gary personally visit & tell you injury was the problem...please do tell. If not, then you are correct...let's agree to disagree & move on.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #144
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Lol! I never said that HC's don't manipulate the report. In fact I said quite the contrary. And once again, you allude to injury that was reported concerning Shanahan. Hardly the same case that you are making, but you are correct I will wait to hear it from Schaub, McNair, kubiak, assistant coaches, teammates, or even his wife before I acknowledge that that is the sole reason he played poorly. No disrespect to the doctor, but I would appreciate information from a source close to Schaub or the Texans.

Did Gary personally visit & tell you injury was the problem...please do tell. If not, then you are correct...let's agree to disagree & move on.

No problem I will give the Texans a call tomorrow. Who would you like to hear from?

BoB,Gary,Rick, Dr.Lowe or one of the parking attendants?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #145
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[/b]

No problem I will give the Texans a call tomorrow. Who would you like to hear from?

BoB,Gary,Rick, Dr.Lowe or one of the parking attendants?
Lol! Can you just put me on 3-way?! Anyone of them!
Old 01-20-2013   #146
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Other than Bridgewater next yrs class doesn't look too good either. I really like Bray and Dysert in the 2nd rd. Both have strong arms and are mobile enough.

What do you think about Bray/Dysert, or any other QB that you think might be a good fit?
Are you not a member of the Johnny Football fan club...assuming that he comes out early? Just for the record, I don't think he will. Considering some of the Texans fans lovefest for Keenum, one could only imagine how some would react if Johnny Football came to town. Thoughts...
Old 01-20-2013   #147
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't include johnny Football because I dont think he will be coming out.

He has the it factor and I believe he will be somewhere between a taller Flutie and a more mobile Brees. Yeah he's going to be good but probably not top 10 draftable because of his height. Yes I would like the Texans to draft him.

The Kubiak can do no wrong part of the fanbase will probably jizz their computers. LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #148
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
I didn't include johnny Football because I dont think he will be coming out.

He has the it factor and I believe he will be somewhere between a taller Flutie and a more mobile Brees. Yeah he's going to be good but probably not top 10 draftable because of his height. Yes I would like the Texans to draft him.

The Kubiak can do no wrong part of the fanbase will probably jizz their computers. LOL
Thats a nasty but probably accurate assumption. Lol!

As far as the qb's you mentioned earlier, I kinda want to watch the kid from Miami Ohio(cant ever remember his name, sorry)more before making a judgement, but what I have read he sounds decent. Bray, I do not care for. His 40 time is garbage & he seems to have maturity issues even by his own admission. That's all we need is the next Ryan Leaf.

Either way they both seem to be projected to be 2-4th rounders. I'm not sure the Texans will take a qb that early. I do want to see more from EJ Manuel from FSU. He is projected to go in the lower rounds where I think the Texans may consider taking a qb.

Last edited by tru80texan; 01-20-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2013   #149
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
$$$$, 29 milion garunteed reasons.

The Texans will never admit that Schaub is hurt because the will look like fools for extending Schaub and giving a QB who is barely functional in the Texans offense that much garunteed $$$$.

That takes egg on face to a whole new level, people inside the Texans org should be looking themselves in the mirror and asking the tough questions after a mistake like this is made. Be it, the medical staff, GM, coaches etc....
They gave Carr $8M, they franchised Dunta & started him & he had no intention of playing very hard.

We're the Houston Texans, we've had egg on our face several times, check out our prime time performances.

If I'm Texans' management & I'm staring at HFA and a red carpet path to the Super Bowl and gimp-boy is my best option at QB, we're going to change the way we do things in Houston. After his New England performance & Indy performance, we've got serious problems if we don't think our back up can play better. (disclaimer: this is if I were of the opinion that Matt has physical issues.)

Going forward, if they know of an injury as serious as what CnD suggests, they will definitely do something different this offseason

All I'm saying, is if we don't see anything "different" this offseason, then the FO does not believe Schaub has a any residual effects from his injury & we can expect the better Schaub in 2013.
Old 01-21-2013   #150
tru80texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They gave Carr $8M, they franchised Dunta & started him & he had no intention of playing very hard.

We're the Houston Texans, we've had egg on our face several times, check out our prime time performances.

If I'm Texans' management & I'm staring at HFA and a red carpet path to the Super Bowl and gimp-boy is my best option at QB, we're going to change the way we do things in Houston. After his New England performance & Indy performance, we've got serious problems if we don't think our back up can play better. (disclaimer: this is if I were of the opinion that Matt has physical issues.)

Going forward, if they know of an injury as serious as what CnD suggests, they will definitely do something different this offseason

All I'm saying, is if we don't see anything "different" this offseason, then the FO does not believe Schaub has a any residual effects from his injury & we can expect the better Schaub in 2013.
Let's not forget 1 of the biggest egg in face signings that actually makes the Top 10 Worst FA Signings- Ahman Green.

I am a skeptic on the lingering injury theory, no offense to CnD, because Schaub did play adequate early in the season & there conveniently was no mention of injury during that time frame. I am all on board for hoping that he plays better in 2013 because this team will go as he goes. That's obvious. I honestly hope they do consider taking a qb this year or next in planning for the future, but I'm not holding my breathe because it does seem that Smith & Kubiak are normally a year or 2 late when addressing issues properly. The DC & WR positions seem to be perfect examples of that.
Old 01-21-2013   #151
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 75430 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Some posters on another site I frequent suggest Schaub may have just had a "dead" arm the last 6 weeks. After the Jags and Lions over time games, he started falling off. He threw A LOT of passes prior to New England game and on. Coming off a year he did not finish and then throwing a career high at that point in the season could have led to a "dead" arm, similar to baseball pitchers. Not making excuses, as I am very vocal about not liking Schaub, but it brings another point of view to the discussion.

Also, I think I have found a VERY telling stat about qb mobility. Im talking about avoiding rushers in the pocket and moving side to side, front and back, no scrambling like RG3 or Wilson. The 3 cone drill is a VERY telling stat, even qbs who run poor 40 times and we deem unathletic, but better in the pocket compared to Schaub have good 3 cone times. Compared to Schaubs (league worse as a starter, from what I have found) 7.65
Old 01-21-2013   #152
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Some posters on another site I frequent suggest Schaub may have just had a "dead" arm the last 6 weeks. After the Jags and Lions over time games, he started falling off. He threw A LOT of passes prior to New England game and on. Coming off a year he did not finish and then throwing a career high at that point in the season could have led to a "dead" arm, similar to baseball pitchers. Not making excuses, as I am very vocal about not liking Schaub, but it brings another point of view to the discussion.
I think there is allot of truth behind that theory. He looked like a pitcher with a dead arm, with no velocity, which if anybody understand mechanics of throwing, a pitcher and QB have very similar mechanics.

Schaub's balls in the beginning of the year had a little zip on them, and at the end the tended to float...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #153
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Also, I think I have found a VERY telling stat about qb mobility. Im talking about avoiding rushers in the pocket and moving side to side, front and back, no scrambling like RG3 or Wilson. The 3 cone drill is a VERY telling stat, even qbs who run poor 40 times and we deem unathletic, but better in the pocket compared to Schaub have good 3 cone times. Compared to Schaubs (league worse as a starter, from what I have found) 7.65
What do OL run ? Brandon Brooks ran a 7.37 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #154
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Maybe the Texans thought something like this. What does frustrate me, are those passes that we saw intercepted, when we tried to go down field. The Two in Indy especially. "Oops.... we threw an interception, let's never try that again" totally does not make any sense at all. None.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again.
Old 01-21-2013   #155
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Case Keenum ran a 6.87 as compared to Luck 6.80 and Kaepernick 6.85.
That is better than many QBs considered very mobile over the last couple of years.
Wilson 6.97; Dalton 6.93; Newton 6.92; Yates 6.96; Cousins 7.05
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #156
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That is better than many QBs considered very mobile over the last couple of years.
Matt's combine photo .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #157
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Matt's combine photo .

LOL, all that hair and nothing up top.
Old 01-21-2013   #158
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If that is true, then Schaub's 7.65 time is just sad. This was when he was young, before his injury. Now he's even slower and less mobile, if that's even possible.
Old 01-21-2013   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
If that is true, then Schaub's 7.65 time is just sad. This was when he was young, before his injury. Now he's even slower and less mobile, if that's even possible.
If it makes you feel better, Schaub outran Rivers and Brady in the 40 yard dash.

I believe Peyton was pretty bad too, but this site only record back to 1999.

http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcomb...os=QB&college=

If I remember correctly, Peyton's time was so bad that some made fun of him as running a 40 in 7 seconds.

I think his 3-cone might have been worse than Schaub.

There was a story about how the Colts even discussed Ryan Leaf, but Polian and his staffs considered Manning's intangibles so highly, they didn't think athleticism as a really big deal.
Old 01-21-2013   #160
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, Schaub outran Rivers and Brady in the 40 yard dash.

I believe Peyton was pretty bad too, but this site only record back to 1999.

http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcomb...os=QB&college=

If I remember correctly, Peyton's time was so bad that some made fun of him as running a 40 in 7 seconds.

I think his 3-cone might have been worse than Schaub.

There was a story about how the Colts even discussed Ryan Leaf, but Polian and his staffs considered Manning's intangibles so highly, they didn't think athleticism as a really big deal.

Like I said, 40 times are useless IMO for a qb, its all about 3 cone and Schaub is BY FAR the worst in the league. at 7.65, his 40 time was 5.01 or something. Brady who has the slowest 40 time like ever lol at 5.28, ran a 7.2 3 cone, thus his ability to move in the pocket, his COD is better and can move laterally much better.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read