Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2013   #41
Ghostform
Veteran

Rep Power: 7329 Ghostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostform is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: After watching the games today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
I can't believe I read this thread. I can't believe that people are comparing schaub and flacco. Newsflash, both qbs put up the same number of points. The difference is our defense. Anyone that blames schaub is an idiot. Bottom line, if you score 28 pts and lose it is your defense.

Mike
yeah...Schaub was sure throwing a lot of TDs the past month and a half. Although the defense is to blame too lets just throw them under the bus to justify Schaubs excellent play and conract.
Ghostform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #42
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3743 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it really boils down to this: there tends to be one or two teams that your team plays well against every time that others struggle to beat. One team the Ravens always play tough, in victory or defeat, is the New England Patriots.

Why is hard to say. There are many intangibles you can't always explain. Personally, I think the Ravens defense has gotten into Brady's head over the years, and he does things in games against Baltimore that he doesn't do when matched up against other teams.

Trust me- in defeat you always look for the worst v. the best. I certainly did after we lost in the AFCC last year against the Pats, in a close game they should have won, or at least tied. The Texans have a very good team. Be upset over their loss, but remember that they are very competitive and will be back strong again next season. Bank on that.
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #43
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post
I think it really boils down to this: there tends to be one or two teams that your team plays well against every time that others struggle to beat. One team the Ravens always play tough, in victory or defeat, is the New England Patriots.

Why is hard to say. There are many intangibles you can't always explain. Personally, I think the Ravens defense has gotten into Brady's head over the years, and he does things in games against Baltimore that he doesn't do when matched up against other teams.

Trust me- in defeat you always look for the worst v. the best. I certainly did after we lost in the AFCC last year against the Pats, in a close game they should have won, or at least tied. The Texans have a very good team. Be upset over their loss, but remember that they are very competitive and will be back strong again next season. Bank on that.
Classy post and you make a lot of sense in what you said. Congrats on your win!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #44
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't believe I read this thread. I can't believe that people are comparing schaub and flacco. Newsflash, both qbs put up the same number of points. The difference is our defense. Anyone that blames schaub is an idiot. Bottom line, if you score 28 pts and lose it is your defense.

Mike
I can't believe your using total points as your gauge without looking at how the game was being played, situations, etc. Flacco gas played better for over a month. He actually wins playoff games. He is aggressive. Right now he is better, plain and simple
Old 01-21-2013   #45
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I get more motivation as a Texans fan reading your posts than I do posts of some Texan fans.

Have some rep.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #46
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl Cav View Post
I dont think I saw anything the Texans cant do.

We need to get more agressive on offense, Schaub needs to push it down the field more.

We need more speed in the receiving corps.
Actually this is what I saw from all four teams this weekend. The QB was mobile and able to avoid possible sacks by moving out of or in the pocket effectively and had a very strong arm to throw the ball down field and hit receivers in stride or to where on the receiver can make the play down field.

I'd also say the play of the offensive lines were better than ours showed this year.

I wouldn't mind us taking an OL at #1 this year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #47
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's very gracious of you, TY !
Your team was on a mission yesterday and they were obviously thrilled with their victory when it became obvious that they would be triumphant. Congrats on a great victory, and GL in the SB 2 weeks from now in NOLA.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I think the Ravens offense was just more aggressive with the playcalls. They were throwing it down field. Their Red Zone plays were throws up high and they let the skill players make plays.
Their OL handled their business, which allowed them to do things we couldn't do. Going into the 4th qtr, they said Flacco only threw the ball beyound 20 yards 3 times.

The Ravens ran it on first down, they ran it up the middle, & they stayed on schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Our offense doesn't ask our skill players to make plays. We rely on tricking the opponent. That works against bad defenses, but well coached teams can adjust. Ultimately, our offense needs to get more creative, and our defense needs to shut down elite offenses.
short answer; I think this is way off.
Old 01-21-2013   #49
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Oh come on now, the Ravens have been so close the last 4-5 of seasons and chocked it away just as the texans have done the last 2 seasons.

So lets not go over board here.

You throw enough pitched to a blind man and he is lauble to get a hit eventually !!!!!
The chargers used to get "close" a bunch too...

Titans, jags, jets....they had a couple years where they were close...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
No field goals by the raves tonite. NONE! Two by NE

NE played like the Texans and the raves played like machines!
I guess someone forgot to tell Belichick & Brady they need to score 7, not 3. How in the world did they make it in the NFL for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
A QB who is not afraid to throw the deep ball first, short second?

A QB who actually moves his feet and doesn't curl up n a fetal position when pressure gets near...

Not saying Flacco hasn't had his "Schaub" moments, but he grabbed opportunity by the throat and ran with it in the playoffs...Schaub ran crying like a little biatch....

A team as a whole who are not intimidated by the mere sight of the Patriots or any team in the AFC for that matter. A team with the swagger of KNOWING they can win a Super Bowl and a head coach that makes them believe...

Texans are just a team that HOPES to get to the Super Bowl one day...

This what the Ravens have that the Texans don't and won't have while Kubiak and Schaub are on this team...
You do know the Ravens lost to the Patriots last year right? They've probably played the Patriots a few times in the play offs & lost right?

Everything you're saying about the Texans now, was being said about the Ravens by Ravens fans for a few years now.

Then, look at your reasons here for why the Texans lost. Try to flip it around to explain why the Patriots lost. It doesn't make sense does it? I know it's hard to imagine this is a team game, but if you think about it, Matt's the only Texans who stepped it up on offense last week. He was let down by his running game, and pass protection.

Just like Welker & Brady couldn't beat the Ravens, Matt Schaub wasn't going to beat the 53 guys trying to beat him, Jj Watt & Antonio Smith.
Old 01-21-2013   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Bottom line, if you score 28 pts and lose it is your defense.

Mike
I tend to agree with this. Our defense needs to play better against better teams.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #52
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58272 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I can't believe your using total points as your gauge without looking at how the game was being played, situations, etc. Flacco gas played better for over a month. He actually wins playoff games. He is aggressive. Right now he is better, plain and simple
Well it doesn't seem to matter what happens really. Against top QBs our defense looks terrible. Actually, against any team with 4 or 4 threats in the passing game,amour defense looks horrible.

Was Matt great over the last month? No. But all of the criticisms we have of Matt atrr basically the same that the ravens have had of flacco over the last several years. Matt is what he is but he isn't the reason we lost the packers or Pats games. Our defense gave up 40 pts in all 3 games.

This team needs another corner almost as bad as it needs a WR.

Mikr

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #53
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a better kicker than, in this case, San Francisco, that's about all I got.

No way Akers has a job next year.
Old 01-21-2013   #54
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[b]I think it really boils down to this: there tends to be one or two teams that your team plays well against every time that others struggle to beat.[b] One team the Ravens always play tough, in victory or defeat, is the New England Patriots.

This....the ravens are that team for us...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I get more motivation as a Texans fan reading your posts than I do posts of some Texan fans.

Have some rep.
Msr
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have rewatched this game a couple of times already.

It's similar to the Jets win over the Pats a few years back.
It took a lot of things to go right to beat the Pats, all have been mentioned before we met them and some are reiterated here.

We can win with a defense that showed up late last year and early this year.
Cushing is more important to this team than some knows it.
He's the enforcer that we lacked, the guy that raises the level of intensity up another notch.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #57
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113372 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's what I saw watching those two games: two head coaches who have faith that their QBs can make plays, and make plays downfield, not just dink & dunk passes.

Kubiak has lost faith in Schaub, and Schaub has started to look like HWSNBN out there with all those short passes. Everything on the offense has tightened up and become predictable and boring.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #58
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm starting to think cushing would not have made much of a difference.

seeing this defense not even be prepared for the no-huddle makes me believe it's more than just personnel.

something is fundamentally wrong with wade phillips defensive scheme against good quarterbacks.

it's weird this defense went from giving up points/yards to EVERYBODY with frank bush to now giving up points/yards to just good offenses (other than the jags game).

they don't even make elite qb's work. dudes just waltz down the field on that defense.

yesterday i saw brady legit confused. something i didn't see against the texans.

13 points. 3 turnovers. shut out in the 2nd half. i still can't believe it
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #59
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Here's what I saw watching those two games: two head coaches who have faith that their QBs can make plays, and make plays downfield, not just dink & dunk passes.

Kubiak has lost faith in Schaub, and Schaub has started to look like HWSNBN out there with all those short passes. Everything on the offense has tightened up and become predictable and boring.
Yep ... They've done the same thing twice which is extend the contract of a regressing QB . Thank goodness they didn't break the bank with Barwin .

The best teams know when and who to pay and when it's time to cut ties . The 49ers during the dynasty years let Montana , Rice , Lott , and many more walk when it was smart not to overpay them .
Old 01-21-2013   #60
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 1614 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

I haven't read through all the psts so I don't know if someone has pointed this out.
The Ravens beat the patriots by making game plan adjustments at halftime that essentially put the offense in Flacco's hands. They came out and ran hurry-up offenses, and they found the Patriot's weakness in the middle of the field. Also they abandoned the run-first philosophy for a pass oriented philosophy that allowed the run to become effective. All this caught the patriot's off guard and prevented them from making defensive substitutions when they needed. I think the Jim harbaugh showed the world who the real offensive guru is.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read