Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2013   #1
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mock off-season

To begin, this took HOURS to complete, and I did not proof read I hope you enjoy. If there are mistakes sorry, let me know and I will fix it. I tried to be realistic and also provide my input. I think this would be a GREAT off-season, but who knows. Anyway, post comments and provide your off-season mock.

First to deal with our free agents.

Sign these guys

Alan Ball - If we are going to re-sign ANY of the corners, I would re-sign him. Not only is he better at slot than McCain, but he is better as a special teamer. Brandon Harris has not shown enough to trust him in the slot full time, but he did show promise, so hopefully he can over come Ball at some point next season. Sign Ball to a 1 or 2 year deal for a low amount.

Bradie James - This one I struggle with, not because he is good, but because he could be good depth, I just don't think he would want to be here as a back up/special teams player. But Maybe we keep him anyway, one more season.

Connor Barwin - ONLY re-sign if it is cheap. He really took a step back and provided little as a pass rusher, but he really sealed the edge vs the run, very little runs came from the outside. Plus if he walks, we still need to fill the hole left at OLB, keeping him would be the cheapest (hopefully) and simplest. If he commands too much, prepare to draft a guy.

Glover Quin - He might actually be our first priority this off-season. He is a great run stuffing safety and very good in coverage vs TEs and Rbs, losing him only hurts us down the road against the Patriots. Don't over pay for a non play making safety, but know he is important to our defense. We just need to add a 3rd safety to prevent those deep passes against us.

Justin Forsett - Again, this depends on price, but I would try to retain him. Knowing I want to get rid of Tate, but knowing any rookie I bring in may take time to develop. Make him our number 2 for 1 or 2 seasons. He has the ability to step in as our starter if Foster misses some games.

Ryan Harris - I would offer pretty much the minimum to him. He knows our system, is younger, fresher and up to date on our playbook compared to Rashard Butler. The goal is to get a younger tackle to compete with Derek Newton. We will have 2 average back ups between Harris, Newton and a rookie.

Mister Alexander - He is an ERFA, offer him the minimum and he has to take it. Cheap for a guy who knows the system and is average hwen in the game.

Andrew Gardner - He is a RFA and I doubt he gets an offer, but again, I think its time to upgrade the depth and that means letting go of the useless guys. But I have a feeling he is brought back, so I am saying to re-sign him, even though I would not.

Let these guys walk

Rashard Butler - Isn't going to be a starter and we need to make plans to get a better RT while upgrading the depth all around.

Antione Caldwell - Same as Butler. The talent has surpassed him and the depth is already equally as good as he is.

James Casey - Its not that I do not want him back, but I think he may get a solid offer from another team (Patriots or someone trying to become them). I think a true FB with a better wr and a better blocking TE would suffice. We could try to be more creative by shifting OD or Graham to fb to cause mis matches.

Shaun Cody - He is older, and frankly not very good IMO. Time to move on.

Quintin Demps - Can we please move on from this disaster already. Im tired of watching him give up huge plays all the time because he is not disciplined enough to stay deep.

Tim Dobbins - Frankly Im ready to improve the depth at ILB, and it starts by getting rid of the bad players.

Keyaron Fox - Who the **** is this.

Shayne Graham - Im ready to see Bullock. This will greatly improve our average starting position allowed.

Donnie Jones - He was ok, but I feel younger guys with a more powerful leg would be better, plus cheaper and more long term.

Brice McCain - Its time to move on from this under sized over rated slot corner.

Jesse Nading - Can we please move on from him, he doesn't provide anything useful to this squad.

Stanford Routt - Did not show anything to deserve to come back, couldn't even beat out Harris.

Barrett Ruud - I would actually consider signing him to a cheap contract. He was ok in coverage, except for the Patriots, but that was Wades fault for assuming he could keep up with those guys. But ultimately I chose to let him walk.

After all these moves we have holes at WR, ILB, NT, S, RT and depth at corner, and along the oline, not to mention we need depth at DE and OLB plus another RB.

Free Agents I would consider if available

Wes Welker - The more I think about it, the more I think he becomes a free agent. Im not sure what he would command on the market, but if we can afford him, we should make a move. He would be an excellent upgrade to the slot and would be a valuable asset to Matt and our young wide outs. His personality would fit with our team as well. Others: Danny Amendola and Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Louis Murphy, Steve Smith (Rams), Brandon Tate. (LOTS of potential slot guys for our team)

Victor Butler - With Kiffin coming in, there is a chance some guys are on their way out, he was a back up to Anthony Spencer and may not be re-signed if they shift to a 4-3. He could be a decent depth signing at OLB for us. Others: Quentin Groves, Aaron Maybin, Erik Walden, Chris Wilson.

Trade

Ben Tate - Detroit Lions trade a 5th round pick for Tate, even if Lions don't, pick a team in need of a rb and trade him.

NFL Draft

Round 1 - Cordarelle Patterson WR, a big speedy wide out with great hands. Nice route running and can shield defenders with his body. This play maker is EXACTLY what this offense needs and it is another big guy for the red zone. He will learn A LOT from Andre and will immediately help this offense.

Round 2 - Kawann Short NT, a fast one gap nose tackle. Explosive and very quick to diagnose plays. He is very disruptive and has room to bulk up more to get better at holding the POA. He should greatly help our pass rushing by collapsing the pocket.

Round 3 - Rick Wagner OT, an athletic OT that fills a need. He has experience at both LT and RT and could add depth if nothing else. I expect him to compete and split time immediately with Newton at RT. Doesn't hurt he is a converted TE nor does it hurt he is from Wisconsin, our favorite college

Round 3 - AJ Klein ILB, a play making ILB who is side line to side line. He will compete to start day 1 and can help make an impact on TEs and RBs, plus is athletic enough to help blitz from the middle allowing Cushing to do other things.

Round 4 - Cooper Taylor SS, A rangy safety who is smart, athletic and a great build. Had a GREAT shrine game week and game day and really helped his stock. A great combine will elevate him even hirer, hopefully we get a chance to grab him in the 4th. He has TONS of potential and will be a solid choice as a 3rd safety.

Round 5 - Zach Sudfeld TE, remember this name. He has gone through tons of injuries throughout his career at Nevada, but he is super athletic, great size and finally healthy. He put up good stats his senior year and has shown the ability to be a good blocker. A great combine should lift his stock.

Round 5 - David Quessenberry OG, a good sized guard who is pretty athletic. He will take some time getting use to the speed of the NFL but he is solid depth.

Round 6 - Mike James RB, a veteran back with low miles from the "U". Great one cut and go runner, great hands and good pass blocking skills. He would be a GREAT 3rd back and will push for back up duties come seasons end. I really like him.

Round 6 - Tyrann Mathieu CB, if there, why the heck not? Take a chance on a guy with big time ability, I doubt he will be here though.

Round 6 - Joe Vellano DE, a non stop DE from Maryland who dominated in 2011 and played well through injuries in 2012. A run stuffing, sack generator who will fit in nicely with Watt and Cushing as being a gym rat with 100% commitment to the team and film room. He will be a riser after the combine, watch.

Round 6 - Ryan Allen P, a big leg, good athlete and younger and cheaper than Jones. He had 12 plus punts of 55 yards or more and an uncanny ability to place the ball within the 20. 43.5 NET per punt. Back to back Ray Guy (best punter in CFB) winner, FIRST TIME EVER, don't miss out on this guy Rick Smith.

Round 7 - Braden Wilson FB, a solid runner but a big time blocker. I just want a FB here.

Qb - Matt Schaub, TJ Yates
RB - Arian Foster, Justin Forsett, Mike James
FB - Tyler Clutts, Braden Wilson
WR - Andre Johnson, Cordarrelle Patterson, Wes Welker, Devier Posey, Keyshawn Martin
TE - Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham, Zach Sudfeld
LT - Duane Brown, Rick Wagner, Andrew Gardner
OG - Wade Smith, Cody White
C - Chris Myers, Ben Jones
OG - Brandon Brooks, David Quessenberry
RT - Derek Newton, Ryan Harris

DE - Antonio Smith, Jared Crick
NT - Kawann Short, Earl Mitchell
DE - JJ Watt, Joe Vellano
OLB - Connor Barwin, Whitney Mercilus, Bryan Braman
ILB - Brian Cushing, AJ Klein, Bradie James, Mister Alexander
OLB - Brooks Reed, Victor Butler
CB - JJo, Kareem Jackson, Alan Ball, Brandon Harris, Tyrann Mathieu, Roc CarMichael
SS - Daniel Manning, Cooper Taylor, Eddie Pheasant
FS - Glover Quin, Shiloh Keo

P - Ryan Allen
K - Randy Bullock

Last edited by amazing80; 01-20-2013 at 08:26 PM.
amazing80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock off-season

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
OLB - Connor Barwin, Bryan Braman

OLB - Brooks Reed, Victor Butler
What did you do with Mercilus?
Old 01-20-2013   #3
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What did you do with Mercilus?

edit thanks I added him
Old 01-20-2013   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good lord 80, that's a novel
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #5
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Good lord 80, that's a novel
Ha, whats funny is if someone else wrote this up, I wouldn't read it, hell I wrote it and didn't even read it
Old 01-20-2013   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I so don't see us signing we'd welker.

I don't even think hes a good fit in this offense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #7
skenney_11
Rookie

My mock off-season goes like this:
Resign:
-Quin
-Forsett
-Either James, Rudd, Alexander, or Dobbins
-Jones (can be cut in camo if we draft a P
-Cody on a close to min deal
-Ball (ST purposes)
-Casey
-Harris
Cuts/Trades:
-Walter
-Antonio Smith
-Wade Smith
-Tate to stl for 4th round pick
-O.D. to CHI for their 4th and 2014 4th
Free Agents:
-A top tier WR like Welker, Jennings, Bowe, and Wallace is out of the question. A guy like Amendola, Hartline, or Edelman could be had
-Melton, FB
-Jake Scott, G

Draft:
1. T. Williams, J. Hunter, T.Austin, WR
2. K. Long, OL
2. Trade our 3rd, Stl's 4th, and 2014 3rd to PHI for their 2nd round pick. M. Hunt, DE or K.Short if he's available
3. N. Johnson, ILB
4. S. Porter, OLB
4. N. Malone, slot CB
5. B. Ford, TE
5. M. Lattimore
6. R. Allen, P
6. J. Harris, S
7. M. Harris, RB

This off-season gives Houston a playmaker at WR, depth on the o-line and d-line, a young guy to play with Cush, and a great blocking FB to boost the run game.

Depth Chart:

QB: Schaub, Yates, Keenum
RB: Foster, Forsett, Harris, Lattimore
FB: Melton
WR 1: AJ, Rookie, Jean, Posey
WR 2: FA, Martin
TE: Casey, Graham, Ford
LT: Brown, Harris
LG: Scott, Jones, Long
C: Myers, Jones
RG: Brooks, Jones, Long
RT: Newton, Harris, Long
DE: Watt, Jamison, Crick, (Hunt)
DT: Cody, (Short), Mitchell
OLB: Reed, Mercilus, Porter, Braham
ILB: Cush, Johnson, Sharpton, Dobbins
CB 1: Jjo, Ball
CB 2: Jackson, Harris, Malone
SS: Manning, Keo
FS: Quin, Harris
K: Bullock
P: Allen
skenney_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2013   #8
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I so don't see us signing we'd welker.

I don't even think hes a good fit in this offense.
I offered others as a good choice. But to say Welker doesn't fit this offense is crazy. He would be an excellent slot guy.
Old 01-21-2013   #9
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I offered others as a good choice. But to say Welker doesn't fit this offense is crazy. He would be an excellent slot guy.
I agree..... I think Welker would be ridiculous in this offense. But I'm really hoping Martin makes the jump that most receivers make from year 1 to year 2. I like the Patterson pick. Hate the Tate trade though. Other than that I'd be satisfied with that offseason.

If we're looking for a slot guy though Swope with one of our 3rd round picks would be the guy. Cheaper option with a lot of upside because of age. I think he's a better receiver than Martin right now to be honest and it pains me to say that.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #10
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I agree..... I think Welker would be ridiculous in this offense. But I'm really hoping Martin makes the jump that most receivers make from year 1 to year 2. I like the Patterson pick. Hate the Tate trade though. Other than that I'd be satisfied with that offseason.

If we're looking for a slot guy though Swope with one of our 3rd round picks would be the guy. Cheaper option with a lot of upside because of age. I think he's a better receiver than Martin right now to be honest and it pains me to say that.
While I like the "potential" of what Tate brings, he is consistently injured and in Garys doghouse, and we CANNOT go through another season with Foster getting abused like that. Trade Tate since we won't keep him past next season anyway, get what you can for him. Forsett is good enough and Mike James will be a threat to get play time as a rookie at least a little. He is a veteran college player and has great hands and blocking ability plus he hits the hole fast and hard, no dancing.
Old 01-21-2013   #11
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I like the "potential" of what Tate brings, he is consistently injured and in Garys doghouse, and we CANNOT go through another season with Foster getting abused like that. Trade Tate since we won't keep him past next season anyway, get what you can for him. Forsett is good enough and Mike James will be a threat to get play time as a rookie at least a little. He is a veteran college player and has great hands and blocking ability plus he hits the hole fast and hard, no dancing.
Pretty tough to say he's consistently injured. He had a freak injury on his first carry in the preaseason his rookie year. Was healthy all of last year. This past year he had hamstring issues, but so did Andre last year. Look how well he bounced back from it. If all we'd be getting is a 5th for him then I'd rather keep him and get whatever we can in a comp pick the following year. You would have a highly motivated player on your hands and to me that's worth holding onto.
Old 01-21-2013   #12
amazing80
Site Contributor

I too like Martin, but I would prefer a more veteran presence in the slot to show Martin the finer things about the position. Even if Welker is not the guy we sign, we should consider some of the other names, lots of good wide outs this off-season. Don't target a top name like Wallace, Bowe or Jennings, but immediately try to sign a lesser guy like Hartline or Amendola.
Old 01-21-2013   #13
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I too like Martin, but I would prefer a more veteran presence in the slot to show Martin the finer things about the position. Even if Welker is not the guy we sign, we should consider some of the other names, lots of good wide outs this off-season. Don't target a top name like Wallace, Bowe or Jennings, but immediately try to sign a lesser guy like Hartline or Amendola.
All of those guys will probably be too expensive for us to sign. My preference out of the group would be Jennings, but I don't see it happening.
Old 01-21-2013   #14
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
All of those guys will probably be too expensive for us to sign. My preference out of the group would be Jennings, but I don't see it happening.
Youre right Jennings, Bowe and Wallace will be too expensive, but a guy like Welker (possibly too expensive) Hartline or Amendola won't be too expensive.
Old 01-21-2013   #15
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Youre right Jennings, Bowe and Wallace will be too expensive, but a guy like Welker (possibly too expensive) Hartline or Amendola won't be too expensive.
I think Amendola will be pretty pricey too. And Hartline is sneaky good. I hate to throw a number out there, but all of those guys will have more than a couple of teams battling over them. We're probably gonna have to take a chance on a guy who has talent, but their team has given up on them. Robinson from the Jags comes to mind. Robinson of the Jags is a guy that I can see becoming available with the emergence of Shorts.
Old 01-21-2013   #16
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think Amendola will be pretty pricey too. And Hartline is sneaky good. I hate to throw a number out there, but all of those guys will have more than a couple of teams battling over them. We're probably gonna have to take a chance on a guy who has talent, but their team has given up on them. Robinson from the Jags comes to mind. Robinson of the Jags is a guy that I can see becoming available with the emergence of Shorts.
Sorry I dont see it, I think you can get Danny or Brian for say 4 years, 12 million (3 million a year) plus a bonus....
Old 01-21-2013   #17
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sorry I dont see it, I think you can get Danny or Brian for say 4 years, 12 million (3 million a year) plus a bonus....
And for the Texans thats gonna be pricey for us this year considering our cap situation. Amendola's injury history brings his price tag down to that amount. Otherwise he'd get a lot more on the market. We need a guy for about 1.5 mil a year. There's a guy I wanna bring in for camp, but I'm in the minority in that battle.
Old 01-21-2013   #18
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
And for the Texans thats gonna be pricey for us this year considering our cap situation. Amendola's injury history brings his price tag down to that amount. Otherwise he'd get a lot more on the market. We need a guy for about 1.5 mil a year. There's a guy I wanna bring in for camp, but I'm in the minority in that battle.
Ummm we have a lot of guys not coming back and a guy like walter who we should cut. Walter is set to make 3.5 the 2 seasons and we have no cap hit if release, wed be stupid to keep him. That could easily buy a guy like Hartline or POSSIBLY Welker, if we convince him to come here at that price and compete for a super bowl. The guy averaged 1.5 million prior to being tagged this season. Not to mention he will be 32 when the season starts. Doesn't hurt he dropped some key passes this post-season

A guy like Hartline or Amendola are similar to Lloyd (1.9), Smith (2.5) (rams), and even Stevie Johnson (2.5), good wr's but not near the top 15. Im telling you they will get say 5 years 35 million, but the salaries will be VERY small and escalate later in the contract when the teams have no intention on keeping them, instead we could propose a 3 year 12 million, mostly guaranteed plus a signing bonus and walters contract alone would mostly (if not fully) cover it.
Old 01-21-2013   #19
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ummm we have a lot of guys not coming back and a guy like walter who we should cut. Walter is set to make 3.5 the 2 seasons and we have no cap hit if release, wed be stupid to keep him. That could easily buy a guy like Hartline or POSSIBLY Welker, if we convince him to come here at that price and compete for a super bowl. The guy averaged 1.5 million prior to being tagged this season. Not to mention he will be 32 when the season starts. Doesn't hurt he dropped some key passes this post-season

A guy like Hartline or Amendola are similar to Lloyd (1.9), Smith (2.5) (rams), and even Stevie Johnson (2.5), good wr's but not near the top 15. Im telling you they will get say 5 years 35 million, but the salaries will be VERY small and escalate later in the contract when the teams have no intention on keeping them, instead we could propose a 3 year 12 million, mostly guaranteed plus a signing bonus and walters contract alone would mostly (if not fully) cover it.
You could be right, and I'm not a cap guru like some others on the board so I get my info from them and I've seen plenty of them say how we'll be strapped in the offseason. So thats a convo I really can't have due to ignorance on the subject, but I'd take any of those guys. Just don't want Walter as our number 2 again.
Old 01-21-2013   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The routes our guys run and the routes welker runs in NE are completely different.

Our offense is completely different as well. We run two TE sets a bunch which means only two wr's. Welker would not NE able to just line up in the slot most of the time. He'd have to line up out wide and be counted on to block players bigger than him. I don't think welker is nearly as effective if he's lining up out wide most of the time.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read