Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-20-2013   #1
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Pro Bowl...I don't care...I really just don't care!

The Pro Bowl has long been the league's way of telling players who had a GREAT year "job well done" and reward them with an all expense paid trip to Hawaii. The catch? They have to "play" a game. No one goes all out because they KNOW that the game is just to justify the league getting a tax write off for sending all those guys to Hawaii and picking up the tab. Guys in the pro bowl help each other up, pose for pictures together between quarters and hug each other after the game.

Roger Goddell being an imbecile doesn't GET this. He thinks that the Pro Bowl is not only a real game, but should be a money maker. He's suggested getting rid of it and at one point put a pro bowl in the same city in which the Superbowl was being played. Goddell thinks if the Pro bowl is played the week BEFORE the Superbowl...people will watch.

Sorry, I haven't watched an entire Pro-bowl since Mr. Warren Moon was playing in them. I just don't give a vugg about the Pro-Bowl. I don't care...I really just don't care. Am I alone?
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #2
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76298 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Pro Bowl...I don't care...I really just don't care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
The Pro Bowl has long been the league's way of telling players who had a GREAT year "job well done" and reward them with an all expense paid trip to Hawaii. The catch? They have to "play" a game. No one goes all out because they KNOW that the game is just to justify the league getting a tax write off for sending all those guys to Hawaii and picking up the tab. Guys in the pro bowl help each other up, pose for pictures together between quarters and hug each other after the game.

Roger Goddell being an imbecile doesn't GET this. He thinks that the Pro Bowl is not only a real game, but should be a money maker. He's suggested getting rid of it and at one point put a pro bowl in the same city in which the Superbowl was being played. Goddell thinks if the Pro bowl is played the week BEFORE the Superbowl...people will watch.

Sorry, I haven't watched an entire Pro-bowl since Mr. Warren Moon was playing in them. I just don't give a vugg about the Pro-Bowl. I don't care...I really just don't care. Am I alone?
The last time I bothered watching a Pro Bowl, Howie Long was still playing. That is how little I care for that game. So for me, next weekend will be more about watching the Senior Bowl, than some lame NFL Pro Bowl.
Old 01-20-2013   #3
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
The last time I bothered watching a Pro Bowl, Howie Long was still playing. That is how little I care for that game. So for me, next weekend will be more about watching the Senior Bowl, than some lame NFL Pro Bowl.
It would be the PERFECT time for the lingerie bowl!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 01-20-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

NFLPA is making one last ditch effort to generate some type of competitive effort in the PB, which I expect will fail. Then it's gonzo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #5
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

football is just not a sport that translates well to the "all-star" format.

nobody plays hard

nobody hits (unless it's sean taylor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPiZjUf9TcQ)

and even the "big plays" are yawn worthy.

at least in the nba all-star games the dunks and alley-oops get's some oos and ahhs. sometimes they even get serious in the 4th quarter as well.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #6
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
football is just not a sport that translates well to the "all-star" format.

nobody plays hard

nobody hits (unless it's sean taylor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPiZjUf9TcQ)

and even the "big plays" are yawn worthy.

at least in the nba all-star games the dunks and alley-oops get's some oos and ahhs. sometimes they even get serious in the 4th quarter as well.
And hell...THEY'RE just having fun out there!
Old 01-20-2013   #7
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the pro bowl
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2013   #8
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

It is rather pathetic and hard to watch w/out falling asleep

"Peace, love and chicken juice!!" A.F.
Old 01-20-2013   #9
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
It is rather pathetic and Hard to watch w/out falling asleep

"Peace, love and chicken juice!!" A.F.
Oh my God. I actually fell alseep one year watching it.
Old 01-20-2013   #10
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Oh my God. I actually fell alseep one year watching it.
Me too, kid u not
Old 01-20-2013   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Pro Bowl needs to be a game played by college prospects like the Senior Bowl with the AFC and NFC still electing players to their respective Pro Bowl teams but all they'll really do is some skills competitions and hang out with the prospects all week/weekend.
Old 01-20-2013   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never watched more than 5 minutes of any Pro Bowl. It's just boring. I wish they'd replace it with skills competitions at least. Fastest players, longest kicks, most accurate QB, etc.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #13
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Pro Bowl is for fans who just wanna take a break from the serousness of the regular season. Nothing wrong with having a little fun, for the players, and for fans who can afford to make a trip to Hawaii. I would go if I could afford it, thats for sure. Sometimes we all get a little TO serious about this GAME we all love so much! When it ceases to be fun then it's time to find some other type of entertainment. JMO!

I watch AT the game, which means, if I see a TEXAN logo on a helmet I pay attention, if not, I usually channel surf or do something else. I do enjoy seeing our boys have fun! They deserve it!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to make an event out of watching it, but I do enjoy tuning in and seeing all the players from around the NFL out there running around.

Last years was pretty cool because towards the end when cam newton came in it really heated up out there.

With all the talk about ending the game I wouldn't be surprised if the game looked a bit more like a real game this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if goodell has made it known that if they end the game they end everything associated with it. Just have your all pro team and maybe an all conference team.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

It's football. It's on TV. I'll watch.

The last few years haven't been bad games and I enjoy watching Texans players and coaches in the Pro Bowl.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #16
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76298 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I've never watched more than 5 minutes of any Pro Bowl. It's just boring. I wish they'd replace it with skills competitions at least. Fastest players, longest kicks, most accurate QB, etc.
That would be better than what we have now, especially since the "best" players don't always make the Pro Bowl. To me it is like the NFL HOF; more of a popularity contest than anything else.
Old 01-21-2013   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I think I would rather watch a pick-up basketball game featuring the Pro Bowl players than the actual Pro Bowl.
Old 01-21-2013   #18
AJ-80
Veteran

Rep Power: 547 AJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respectedAJ-80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Honestly, I think I would rather watch a pick-up basketball game featuring the Pro Bowl players than the actual Pro Bowl.
Same, that would actually be entertaining
AJ-80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #19
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

They should substitute the Pro Bowl with a XBOX Madden extravaganza using only those players that made the Pro Bowl roster. The Offensive and Defensive MVP's would handle the controls.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's really that important to the NFL, why don't they just sweeten the pot ?
If there's a financial incentive to win the game, double it or tripple it or whatever. If there is none, then offer one. These guys are pros, i.e., they play for money. Just offer enough greenbacks to the winning team members and they will play at a high intensity level. Here's an idea, offer any defensive player 50 G if he can knock the opposing QB out of the game. Oh wait, that's a no-no these days, right ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read